Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fried Chicken posted:

Keep going, you've almost discovered the sun!

But we want a closed system! No external energy sources polluting our decay into heat death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress does he want obama to say. "it was the muslims. now we must deport them, nuke mecca, convert those here to jesus." also love the fear bating.

Anything short of a full invasion is lacking, but no conservative will tell you how the area will function after said invasion. Power fills the void, and then another Al-Queda/ISIS forms. I'm the first to make fun of Obama's responses when they seem lacking but this speech he made at the G20 really makes it clear that he's doing complex algorithms while conservatives are trying to add and subtract.

In other lighter news, let's check back in with collegechat, and why random white people in a library are practically the evilest people on earth:

quote:

Protesters at Dartmouth University disrupted students studying in the library, reportedly directing profanity towards white students and physically pushing others.

In a critical editorial, the conservative Dartmouth Review listed some of the epithets hurled by the protesters: “gently caress you, you filthy white fucks!” “gently caress you and your comfort!” “gently caress you, you racist shits!”

In addition, the Review reports that some of protesters became physically violent: “Men and women alike were pushed and shoved by the group. ‘If we can’t have it, shut it down!’ they cried. Another woman was pinned to a wall by protesters who unleashed their insults, shouting ‘filthy white bitch!’ in her face.”

Campus Reform managed to obtain video showing the protesters walking through the library shouting as others try to study. One of the protesters can be seen flipping off the cameraman. Another gets in the face of those who are studying demanding they say that black lives matter.

One of the protesters posted online, saying they were ashamed of what the protest turned into. “After making a girl cry, a protester screamed ‘gently caress your white tears,'” he reports. “I was startled by the aggression from a small minority of students towards students in the library, many of whom were supporters of the movement.”

So, in summary, if you're white and have to study in a library, which I don't understand why you would even attempt something like that at a university you dumb white slavemasters, please remember:

You're a filthy white gently caress
You're a racist poo poo
You're also probably a filthy white bitch (how many are would vary from campus to campus)
Don't cry because gently caress your white tears
When entering and exiting the library please kneel and and proclaim Black Lives Matter at the appointed White Guilt station

* If you have any questions or suggestions please go gently caress yourself.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If that were true, why are there so few of these? I would say that at the very least, in a region with stringent gun control such as Europe, you would need a lot of money and organization to have AK-47s. You also would need good organizational skills to keep it under wraps until it happens.

Eh not really.

It's more that you need a poo poo load of money to get your guys in position and then you also need to purchase guns through the black market.

Now because ISIS has been in bed with that market for a while due to antiquity sales all they would need is money (which they got from black market sales) and a dozen or so people willing to carry it out, and since almost all of them appear to be native europeans they were probably at the front of the line to be picked for it.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 16, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
In even lighter news, how Obama and co. protect their respective countries when they can't protect the G20 from cats? (cute video in link)?

vvvvv None do, I can traverse all the university libraries I want :smuggo: vvvvv

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 16, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In other lighter news, let's check back in with collegechat, and why random white people in a library are practically the evilest people on earth:

So, in summary, if you're white and have to study in a library, which I don't understand why you would even attempt something like that at a university you dumb white slavemasters, please remember:

You're a racist poo poo
You're also probably a filthy white bitch (how many are would vary from campus to campus)
When entering and exiting the library please kneel and and proclaim Black Lives Matter at the appointed White Guilt station

so do almost all of those apply to you

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Talmonis posted:

:smith: This is why I hate this topic so much. It isn't right to condemn innocent people, but young, disenfranchised men are easy to radicalize. There is no easy answer.

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...ngtobreathefree

quote:

Refugee resettlement is the least likely route for potential terrorists, says Kathleen Newland at the Migration Policy Institute, a think-tank. Of the 745,000 refugees resettled since September 11th, only two Iraqis in Kentucky have been arrested on terrorist charges, for aiding al-Qaeda in Iraq.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Talmonis posted:

Nobody here has proposed giving into the fear and anger. But it's macho bullshit to piss on scared people, who have every right to be afraid.

If they're Americans then no, they really don't have every right to be afraid after the Paris attacks because being afraid of things half a world away is dumb as hell. This goes double for people scared now who saw no reason to be afraid after the Bundy Ranch insanity (including cops being murdered) or Dylan Roof trying to start RaHoWa. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that people screaming for blood after the Paris attacks have a large overlap with people who see people like Cliven Bundy as a victim.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Anything short of a full invasion is lacking, but no conservative will tell you how the area will function after said invasion. Power fills the void, and then another Al-Queda/ISIS forms. I'm the first to make fun of Obama's responses when they seem lacking but this speech he made at the G20 really makes it clear that he's doing complex algorithms while conservatives are trying to add and subtract.

You're a racist poo poo

wow, what exactly were they protesting? i mean specifically their at the library, what does it have to do with police brutality/killings toward the black community. I like BLM alot and i agree with their goal but what does screaming and assulting people in a library accomplish. your just going to give the right more ammo and its going to do is piss neutral/ pro BLM people off your side. why cant the young left ever not gently caress something up like it did with occupy and tumblr. I dont think they are evil or even wrong, they just do stupid poo poo that backfires badly when they try to push to hard. I dont like "Campusreform" because its a lovely right wing shill and the right doesnt want free speech on campus either, just "there" speech.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 16, 2015

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This speaks pretty clearly to how unrealistic "zero tolerance" approaches are. 0.0003% of the population can have such an outsized influence on peoples' perception (because thousands of newspaper stories or Fox News pieces about how the vast, sweeping majority is succeeding in their new lives and integrating flawlessly with a multicultural society doesn't sell ad time) through such minimal effort that basically the problem becomes intractable. Ugh.

ed: Also (and NOT DRAWING AN EQUIVALENCE HERE) but to put the lack of outrage in perspective, 400 people have been killed and another 1200 injured in mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015. Our domestic population is way more dangerous to the average American citizen.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 16, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress does he want obama to say. "it was the muslims. now we must deport them, nuke mecca, convert those here to jesus." also love the fear bating.

Because he's getting compared to Neville loving Chamberlain, they want to go to war with the region, and kill radical Islam at it's roots, and Obama is spoiling the party!!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If that were true, why are there so few of these? I would say that at the very least, in a region with stringent gun control such as Europe, you would need a lot of money and organization to have AK-47s. You also would need good organizational skills to keep it under wraps until it happens.

Quality of life is a huge preventive of organized incidents like this in western nations. If safety & food and other basic needs are never a concern it severely limits the motivation for a population to become extremists.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Because he's getting compared to Neville loving Chamberlain, they want to go to war with the region, and kill radical Islam at it's roots, and Obama is spoiling the party!!

true.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.tedcruz.org/news/cruz-america-must-stand-with-our-allies-against-the-scourge-of-radical-islamic-terrorism/

Don't think this has been shared yet - Cruz is criticizing Obama for being too careful not to blow up civilians.

quote:

We must immediately recognize that our enemy is not ‘violent extremism.’ It is the radical Islamism that has declared jihad against the west. It will not be appeased by outreach or declarations of tolerance. It will not be deterred by targeted airstrikes with zero tolerance for civilian casualties, when the terrorists have such utter disregard for innocent life.

Emphasis mine.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

we must respond to these evil attacks on innocents by purposefully targeting areas with innocent people - a man running for US president

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

joeburz posted:

we must respond to these evil attacks on innocents by purposefully targeting areas with innocent people - a man running for US president

"We agree!" - Just, like, a disturbing number of Americans.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://www.tedcruz.org/news/cruz-america-must-stand-with-our-allies-against-the-scourge-of-radical-islamic-terrorism/

Don't think this has been shared yet - Cruz is criticizing Obama for being too careful not to blow up civilians.

Emphasis mine.

i mean i "sorta" see where he is comming from. he doesnt want ROE on airstrike targets. but he basicaly wants us to be Israel, shoot everything, ask questions never. he is a gently caress rear end.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

Emphasis mine.

To save the village we had to destroy (several of them). God drat this is just obscene

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
List of states refusing refugees grows:

OH, FL, NH, IL, IN, LA, AR, MI, AL, TX , MA , NC, MS, AZ , WI , MT, ME, TN

Massachusetts a bit of a surprise

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Even aside from the laughable notion that Obama's even made that much of a point to avoid civilian casualties, that even the most charitable spin on this is that Cruz is saying "OBAMA YOU'RE TAKING TOO LONG TO BE PRECISE AND LETTING THE TURRRURISTS GET AWAY, WE GOTTA HURRY EVEN IF IT MEANS ACCIDENTALLY LIQUIFYING A FEW INNOCENT PEOPLE" is kind of horrifying.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pathetic little tramp posted:

We'll remember that in 50 years when they are half submerged.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

joeburz posted:

Well I mean it's what France did. They hit museums, stadiums, hospitals and clinics yesterday in Raqqa in retaliation. Was great watching the reporting services swap from declaiming someone (they suspected Russia) for intentionally targeting civilian targets in a city forcibly occupies by ISIS to proclaiming France had just struck a number of ISIS military facilities and no civilian casualties reported as soon as who did the bombing came out.

You'd think the past 14 years would have taught us the difference between wildly lashing out in an emotional state to appease public bloodlust and fighting smart to destroy the enemy, but nope.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I don't disagree at all. I'm saying that if something isn't done about integration and opportunity, we're going to have a serious homegrown problem out of second generation disenfranchised males.

whitey delenda est posted:

ed: Also (and NOT DRAWING AN EQUIVALENCE HERE) but to put the lack of outrage in perspective, 400 people have been killed and another 1200 injured in mass shootings in the U.S. in 2015. Our domestic population is way more dangerous to the average American citizen.

Absolutely. The problem doesn't even change here though. If an effective terror attack originates from an Islamist organization, those same domestic extremists could very well be swept into power.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they're Americans then no, they really don't have every right to be afraid after the Paris attacks because being afraid of things half a world away is dumb as hell.

Paris is part of "The West." which is the target of ISIL's terrorism, and they have vowed such attacks here. The problem, like with France, is U.S. citizens who have been radicalized (thankfully, we keep catching them. That can't prove true forever). That makes the physical distance from here to France entirely irrelevant.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

mass and IL have republican govs, although im not certain what level the policy was enacted

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SquadronROE posted:

Wait, so people would be okay with letting Christian refugees in, but not Muslim refugees? Isn't that just a checkbox on a form?

Unless they mean that there are obviously other ways to tell if someone is evil Muslim.

Each one will have to pick up a football first. Also if they instinctively grip it in the proper manner their Americaness is verified.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

joeburz posted:

mass and IL have republican govs, although im not certain what level the policy was enacted

They have no say in the matter of where refugees are settled, but they can make services for the refugees a nightmare to deal with, once they're in those states.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

So two things here:

1. It's pretty funny that these states are saying this when they have no say over refugees. The Feds handle where people actually go. So this is only some gross cheap political scoring.

2. Obama actually did send a Declaration of War bill against ISIS to Congress earlier this year, but it was voted down by Republicans who said it was not needed since he is already authorized to attack them based on the 2001 AUMF that has been used to justify all of the drone strikes and other things barely related to Al Qaeda over the last 14 years.
That second one is absolutely hilarious and insane. Republicans are always complaining about Obama having too much power, but when they had the opportunity to limit the executive branch they just gave him a blank check, even though Obama himself has said he's not sure if the 2001 AUMF covers attacking ISIL.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Emphasis mine.
:tizzy: This is like the whole goddamn reason the stuff we're currently doing is working better than 2003 Iraq, because we don't just go in and blow up everything that moves, civilians be damned.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Each one will have to pick up a football first. Also if they instinctively grip it in the proper manner their Americaness is verified.

It would be insanely cool if that led to us discovering a Daesh training camp where they train suicide bombers to throw perfect spirals.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Emphasis mine.

I think Cruz just moved passed Huckabee on the "piece of poo poo human being" scale of GOP candidates.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Even aside from the laughable notion that Obama's even made that much of a point to avoid civilian casualties, that even the most charitable spin on this is that Cruz is saying "OBAMA YOU'RE TAKING TOO LONG TO BE PRECISE AND LETTING THE TURRRURISTS GET AWAY, WE GOTTA HURRY EVEN IF IT MEANS ACCIDENTALLY LIQUIFYING A FEW INNOCENT PEOPLE" is kind of horrifying.

thats whats hosed, its the banality of it. Those civilians are real people. not loving NPCs that make your score go down in a video game. people with families and stuff. gently caress cruz.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Can someone (or has someone already and I missed it) post a bit more, or a source, about why it's futile for State level governments to deny refugees a new home? I am not familiar with the legal framework or the federal status of the agreement in place, and holy poo poo at putting any combination of these words into Google at this time.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

I think Cruz just moved passed Huckabee on the "piece of poo poo human being" scale of GOP candidates.

How are they in relation to Carson or Trump on that scale?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Can someone (or has someone already and I missed it) post a bit more, or a source, about why it's futile for State level governments to deny refugees a new home? I am not familiar with the legal framework or the federal status of the agreement in place, and holy poo poo at putting any combination of these words into Google at this time.

State department says it's "unclear":

https://t.co/PkgZEJjipK

quote:

However, State Department spokesman Mark Toner said refugee status gives individuals both legal status in the U.S. and freedom to move from state to state, making it unclear that the states refusing to take in Syrian refugees could in fact reject them.

That's basically it: a refugee gets federal status and can go to any state. That's just how our refugee laws are written. They could figure out a way to bar entry to a state I guess if they put up state border checkpoints?

Better info:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...48f97?tid=sm_tw

quote:

More than a dozen governors have said in the wake of the Paris attacks that they do not want their states to accept Syrian refugees.

But officials at several American refugee resettlement agencies said Monday that state and local officials cannot physically prevent refugees from being resettled in their areas. They said that all refugees who arrive in the U.S. must first be approved for legal entry by the federal government after a lengthy screening process, and that their housing arrangements are made through long-term contracts and relationships with city, county and state governments.

“Governors and state officials do not have the capability to prevent a refugee who is here and admitted lawfully to the U.S. from residing in their state. It is not something they can do,” said Lucy Carrigan, a spokeswoman for the International Rescue Committee. “There is a close collaboration with governors and mayors and community leaders about the capacity of the area for refugees and where they can go, but once they have legal status, you cannot impede their transit between different states.”

A total of about 1,900 Syrian refugees have been resettled in the U.S. in the past two years, all of them brought directly from camps and settlements in the countries surrounding Syria. Carrigan and others said none of them had been part of the wave of migrant coming through Europe. The 1,900 are a tiny fraction of the 200,000 living near Syria who have been approved for resettlement in the U.S. The International Rescue Committee, based in New York, has resettled about 250 of them.

Asked about declarations being made by some state governors since the Paris terror attacks that they would not allow Syrian refugees in their states, Carrigan said this was the result of “misinformation and lack of information about the process. Every refuges goes though extremely rigorous security screening to get here, and it takes a long time.”

One former resettlement agency official, who asked not to be named, said there have been instances when some state governors declared they would not accept any more refugees, including some from Iraq, and that in those cases the agencies found them housing in a more welcoming region. “It has happened before,” the former official said.

Carrigan said her agency hopes that Americans will “look at what happened in Paris and recognize that this kind of terrorism is exactly what the Syrian refugees are fleeing. They are the most vulnerable of the most vulnerable.”

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 16, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

State department says it's "unclear":

https://t.co/PkgZEJjipK

That's basically it: a refugee gets federal status and can go to any state. That's just how our refugee laws are written. They could figure out a way to bar entry to a state I guess if they put up state border checkpoints?

I'm pretty sure you can't do that for a multitude of reasons and that's a polite way of telling the states to go gently caress themselves.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Phone posting, but basically the copy of the 1980 Refugee Act prohibits discrimination based on nationality, among other things, meaning that states receiving federal funding for refugee resettlement cannot be discriminatory. It appears, on the surface at least, that "refusing" Syrian refugees would require rejecting refugee resettlement funds completely. Basically, we're about to witness the increased politicization of the refugee resettlement system as a whole, which is still a slippery loving slope.

Edit: and as others posted, this doesn't even begin to address refugees moving to a state on their own free will.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

trump is just loud possibly socipathic bigoted dickhead. he would be a corrupt rear end in a top hat and milk all the right wing nuts for their money and at some point get impeached. carson is a egotical nut but calmer but he has also actually done good things in medicine. hukabee and cruz are just lovely monsters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

joeburz posted:

these attackers were coordinated, only a genius level of terrorist plotting can think to equip themselves with some sort of timing device, possibly including a means of communication within the same device.

Do we know where Parker Lewis is right now? Not that we'd be able to beat him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Trump is easily is best person of those running. I'm still not sure about Carson.... He's probably in the middle of the pack with the Bush's and Kasich's of the world.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/11/16/3722628/no-state-governors-cant-refuse-to-accept-syrian-refugees/

Short version:

Hines v. Davidowitz "the supremacy of the national power in the general field of foreign affairs, including power over immigration, naturalization and deportation, is made clear by the Constitution.”

+

Refugee Act of 1980 - refugees who face “persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion” during an “unforeseen emergency refugee situation” are admitted at the President's discretion

=

"States have the right to suck it" - Abraham Lincoln, 1860

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MothraAttack posted:

Phone posting, but basically the copy of the 1980 Refugee Act prohibits discrimination based on nationality, among other things, meaning that states receiving federal funding for refugee resettlement cannot be discriminatory. It appears, on the surface at least, that "refusing" Syrian refugees would require rejecting refugee resettlement funds completely. Basically, we're about to witness the increased politicization of the refugee resettlement system as a whole, which is still a slippery loving slope.

its gonna get bad. remember that angry bigot protest outside that detained immigrant bus. http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/02/us/california-immigrant-transfers/
picture that but much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

joeburz posted:

these attackers were coordinated, only a genius level of terrorist plotting can think to equip themselves with some sort of timing device, possibly including a means of communication within the same device.

But who would build such a device, something able to keep time for clearly terrorist ends... My god.

• Locked thread