Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got one to wipe three data stores in an executive suite that was pretty good. Hack down the stores and have an agent stand on each one for three turns for 500 credits post-mission. The stores provide cover so I hacked two with guards patrolling past freely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I have this weird bug where all the multi page dialog skips to the end. When I try to go back with the arrows it does the same thing.

Russad posted:

Dumb question, but is there something on your keyboard?

Also another possibly dumb question, do you have a controller (or joystick, steering wheel etc) plugged in? Battlefield would always hate it when I had my 360 controller plugged in because it got conflicting inputs or something and kept trying to turn my dude round in circles.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished it on Expert on the first run. Definitely harder. Would have lost the game if I hadn't found in a locker this new badass 2 shot tranq Rail Gun that has 4AP and 5KO. The final mission is the same but with new mandatory daemons. It really sucks that the level 4 Disruptors have only one charge as it really reduces their effectiveness below that of the level 3s if it wasn't for the now higher armour level. The TAG gun proves its worth once again.

Is getting the Universal Power Cells mandatory?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Playing this on the free sale and goddamn is it harder than I expected it would be. Game is a ton of fun though, and Internationale seems like the hands-down best Agent I have access to. Wireless hacking/detection + parasite means a ton of cheap, easy hacking without any fuss.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Expert plus is taking me to the cleaners right now. Can't even get pass the second mission. Just not getting the that start-up luck you need for plus like I had with the expert run where I got a Hand Cannon early which let me smash and grab most of the first 72 hours. FTM isn't quite the walk over it use to be with OMNI Protectors showing up really quickly and the security routers are making a mess of everything.

Internationale is mandatory on Expert Plus since you can use her to pick off the cameras for LOS and consoles as you will be short on power from the get go.

I tried Don't Starve, but I just can't get into it.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Expert plus becomes more about distracting the guards than avoiding them. Lure them into corners by bobbing into their peripheral vision, open a door they're watching and then move away, and strategically run by them, remembering their hearing radius is 5 tiles.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
A good technique for guard distraction is toggling on running, moving 1-3 steps to make a noise at a proper spot, and then reverting to walking for rest of your AP. It's a good way to get past stationary guards that have their backs against a door without KOing them for example.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Wait, you can turn off sprinting in the middle of a move? I thought it was all or nothing for a turn. Hm...

In other news, I was surprised to see the option to scrub a databank using a hacked Obake drone, but then clicking the button crashed the game :(

Update: Reloaded. Drone has vanished into the ether :ohdear: No, wait, just a visual glitch I guess; it's back after hitting end turn.

Trying to hack with a camera drone causes it to vanish (due to a missing animation I assume?) but it's still there and the game didn't crash...the difference might be that the Obake was trying to hack a second databank while the camera drone is currently the only one hacking? I dunno.

Also, I just noticed that I have an objective to "scrub batabanks (sic)" with 3 bars under it.

Dav fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 14, 2015

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Dav posted:

Wait, you can turn off sprinting in the middle of a move? I thought it was all or nothing for a turn. Hm...

In other news, I was surprised to see the option to scrub a databank using a hacked Obake drone, but then clicking the button crashed the game :(

Update: Reloaded. Drone has vanished into the ether :ohdear: No, wait, just a visual glitch I guess; it's back after hitting end turn.

Trying to hack with a camera drone causes it to vanish (due to a missing animation I assume?) but it's still there and the game didn't crash...the difference might be that the Obake was trying to hack a second databank while the camera drone is currently the only one hacking? I dunno.

Also, I just noticed that I have an objective to "scrub batabanks (sic)" with 3 bars under it.

yeah that's a side mission that gets you a data card worth 500 at the end of the mission.

Coincidentally I found out you can just sell them at a nanofab for the same amount if you're having inventory issues.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Has anybody run into any side missions that is worth the trouble doing?

There's a cool one where you spot a "Sterile Compile Room" that will give you a free Incognita program if you bring in a key stolen from a lab technician and wait for it to compile.

A heads-up that the game should really give you is that if the technician gets inside the room, he'll seal the door behind him and you miss out on completing it.

I used my 1 rewind to fix this and ended up blowing the entire campaign on a misclick later in the mission :xcom:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Props to the Archive Salem / Draco combination. The 3-use hand-cannon means you can get thousands of credits worth of skill-ups on Draco with only a few chargepacks.

Anyone have trouble activating Flash Packs from Incognita? I had to blow my rewinds on a mission where I couldn't get it to trigger (once when he was in range, once when the guy was standing right on top of the pack).

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Ironman only.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

RoboCicero posted:

Anyone have trouble activating Flash Packs from Incognita? I had to blow my rewinds on a mission where I couldn't get it to trigger (once when he was in range, once when the guy was standing right on top of the pack).

Yep, Flash Packs won't go off in any case for me.
Other than the occasional bug, the DLC stuff has been really neat so far. Olivia is excellent for extra power when needed, plus I've slapped a DLC augment on her (-2AP, +1AP per alarm level) that allows her to really hustle in the late game. I'm doing really well with a Golem/Fusion setup with Root and Emergency Reserve keeping me up when I have to hack multiple times in one turn. That, and I found a Shock Trap 3 for $0 in a gadget mission :allears:. Just started Day 3, but I haven't run into any side objectives yet. Are they generally worth the trouble?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I've found that Xu/Draco is a good combo since you can use Xu's special ability to disable heart monitors on knocked out guards so you can kill them without raising the security level. Only downside is that you don't start with a lot of firepower so it's a good idea to keep an eye out for any nano fabs you can find.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Just got past the mid-game mission on Expert with the new content. Running Archive Shalem/Draco, dynamo and Golem were my starting programs, they seem to synergize quite well.

Rescued Xu and Decker, everything is going smoothly so far, though I've killed far more guards than I usually like to, even after Draco has been maxed out.

Getting max anarchy on draco means that charge packs are basically free, I've found 2-3 per level from guards.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Draco was a genius addition to the game because now everyone knows the joy of unbridled guard murder.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Seed is such a interesting power program! I've been doing the run with Seed + Rapier and picked up Golem. Basically getting 2 firewalls / 1 PWR in the early game, transitioning to 2 firewalls for free + Rapier is pretty good, though I'm definitely fishing for a Server or something because having no power income becomes pretty rough when you rely on it for your higher-end equipment.

The only optional objective I've found is the power relay switch, but since it requires you to hit both switches in one turn and find the main relay, I've never been able to devote the time and manpower to complete it.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Dav posted:

Heads up: you can only toggle sprinting when you have >= your max AP. For example, if you've got 8AP and sprinting takes you up to 11, you can turn off sprint any time your AP is still 8 or more. I'm not sure how this interacts with "bonus" AP (from stims, augments)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I just picked this up on a whim and I'm about four missions deep on Beginner, and it's starting to get a little challenging. Mainly because I picked up this dude Derek who supposedly has some kind of teleporter beacon augment but I cannot figure the drat thing out. I placed it early on since I found the exit, and the tooltip says to activate it in the mainframe (that's Incognita view right?) but there doesn't seem to be any option, and it's grayed out in character view. I'm missing something obvious? I don't want my new agent to get killed already :saddowns:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Chard posted:

I just picked this up on a whim and I'm about four missions deep on Beginner, and it's starting to get a little challenging. Mainly because I picked up this dude Derek who supposedly has some kind of teleporter beacon augment but I cannot figure the drat thing out. I placed it early on since I found the exit, and the tooltip says to activate it in the mainframe (that's Incognita view right?) but there doesn't seem to be any option, and it's grayed out in character view. I'm missing something obvious? I don't want my new agent to get killed already :saddowns:

The beacon should have an activation option in the view, like a power node. Click on that and Derek'll be teleported to it. If that's showing up and is what's greyed out, I'm not sure what the issue might be; I haven't used Derek enough to know what his full deal is.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:confused:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, Expert Plus Ex day 3 teleport just threw me an effectively impossible room with 2 cameras and not enough power to hack both while the surrounding rooms were full of drones and guards. On Expert I would have made do with the starting 10 power but waiting to alarm 2 would have been a massive waste of time considering how poorly the run was going. Scraping day to day without improving the team. I was a matter of time before they were done.

This game sometimes. :xcom:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Chard posted:

The entire Beginner game is really just a tutorial.

Expert is a large change in difficulty.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Yeah as far as I can tell your teleporter bugged out. Just make sure you pick the beacon back up before you leave the mission. Hopefully it'll work next time, I'm not sure why it failed. It should have a little box-shaped button to press in your Incognito view that lets you activate it to teleport Derek to it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hit t, I don't know how you can play like that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

alr posted:

Also another possibly dumb question, do you have a controller (or joystick, steering wheel etc) plugged in? Battlefield would always hate it when I had my 360 controller plugged in because it got conflicting inputs or something and kept trying to turn my dude round in circles.

I have my duelshock 4 hooked to my computer but plugging it out didn't fix anything.]

I did a fresh install and it didn't skip the text in the forced tutorial but as soon and I set up my game the problem came back so I'm pretty sure it's the dlc somehow.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell your teleporter bugged out. Just make sure you pick the beacon back up before you leave the mission. Hopefully it'll work next time, I'm not sure why it failed. It should have a little box-shaped button to press in your Incognito view that lets you activate it to teleport Derek to it.

Man, and things were going so well, I had this plan... disappointing to die to a lovely bug in my first run. Oh well Beginner did honestly feel a bit easy, PWR coming out of my ears.

Bhodi posted:

Hit t, I don't know how you can play like that.

I like the walls up :colbert:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Chard posted:

Man, and things were going so well, I had this plan... disappointing to die to a lovely bug in my first run. Oh well Beginner did honestly feel a bit easy, PWR coming out of my ears.

I like the walls up :colbert:

Yeah, I'm sorry that the teleport glitched out for you, because Derek might be my favorite addition right now; throwing the beacon across a room to teleport to the one hidden spot in a guard's come of vision is pretty exciting. The fact that he comes with the beacon if you find him in a Detention Center like I did only makes him even more appealing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I already started a new game but I think I *may* have clicked "drop" instead of "throw", since I wanted it on the tile he was currently standing on. Still a gently caress-tarded thing to have break not work as you'd expect, but if I find him again I'll try it differently.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Chard posted:

I already started a new game but I think I *may* have clicked "drop" instead of "throw", since I wanted it on the tile he was currently standing on. Still a gently caress-tarded thing to have break not work as you'd expect, but if I find him again I'll try it differently.

That's actually almost definitely it; after using it, you can drop it while it's on cooldown, but not throw it, so presumably the actual 'set teleport point' is only set to activate on throw, not drop, which I agree is super dumb.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I never even used it once. From Decker and Internationale's perspective he basically set down his turned-off cellphone and then went "What?" when the calls went to voicemail.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Do the Invisible Inc devs still read this? I encountered a bug when wiping traces of Invisible Inc. from databases: It was a nanofab mission, and I triggered the nanofab while someone was hacking a database. The database got rebooted as a result, and I couldn't get it to hack again. Highlighting it said something like "The database is already being hacked." or something like that.

Also, if a scientist escapes in a VIP mission, you can't get info from the VIP.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Just finished my first Expert run with the DLC. My starting loadout was Draco/Archive Shalem, Seed/Golem. Here are my thoughts:

-Draco is a real game-changer. Since he uses a different resource as the other agents (corpses instead of credits), he changes the whole economy of the game. He allows you to upgrade your other agent(s) faster than normal; I had almost maxed stats by the mid-game mission on both starting characters.

-The "bring a stat to level 3, no higher" augments seem like a waste of a slot, considering the longer game gives you more money to play with, and augment slots are a precious resource. AP-boosting augs are still the best, followed by the now much more necessary penetration/piercing scanners; everything else is pretty niche.

-I got Olivia as my third agent. I gave her the new thermal disruptor, which she can basically use for free with her augment.

-Shock Trap III's new power requirement is a welcome balance change. Being able to knock out multiple guards regardless of armor level can really trivialize a map.

-The new side objectives are fun, but I wish the rewards were more varied. I mostly just got more money, which I was running out of things to spend on towards the end.

-The tier 4 items seem not as desirable as tier 3, given their once per map limitation. One of the best things about Buster III's is their short cooldown; I'd rather have a Buster III than a IV in almost all cases. And in the later maps, nanofabs tend to sell mostly tier 4 items, so I kinda felt like I missed the boat.

New content spoilers:

-The new mid-game mission is in two parts. At the end of the second part, don't forget to give Monst3r's gun to one of your other agents. You can either keep it, or sell it for 300 credits. Monst3r will get the gun back on the final mission. This feels like an exploit; I wonder if they'll patch it out?

-The new alarm tracker feels easier than the original one. Sure the guards get more armor and KO resistance, but there are fewer guards, making them easier to deal with. I finished all my late missions before level 5, so I don't know if it gets tougher after that.

Overall, I'd rate the DLC a B. The new side objectives are the best part, and while the new items/augs/programs are mostly underwhelming, I'm happy that nothing breaks the balance of the game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I finished my first Beginner run at around 2am this morning. :toot:

It was kind of bullshit going through all that just to have Incognita clown everyone and go all SkyNet though. :saddowns:

That run ended up unlocking Nika and Xu, who I haven't really tried much yet but I bet Nika will be hilarious with Predictive Brawling and the augment that gives armor piercing to melee attacks...

Expert is a pretty big rear end jump in difficulty, no restarts and I got Nika and Xu murdered by overlapping guard patrols in the first mission. I'm trying to imagine people playing this on the highest difficulty endless mode and my face is basically :stonk:

Definitely seeing the point made before about prioritizing Strength. Taser, a gun of some sort, a paralyzer, a stim, cloak... You really do wan to get all the toys don't you? Probably easier to do in Endless without that time limit...

e: I haven't really experimented with custom settings much, but I kind of wonder what removing the every-turn alarm increment and instead having things like tazing guards or getting caught by cameras jump you a full alarm level each time would do to gameplay. Basically how much difficulty is from the time crunch rather than the actual level layout/guard AI/etc...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 16, 2015

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Excellent use of the spoiler tag.

I always play on Expert Plus Ironman, and it definitely adds a lot of tension knowing that one mistake will end your run. I also always go for every single safe in the level, as people who have watched me stream will attest. Most of the time it ends well, sometimes it ends in a hilarious game of cat and mouse that involves juggling revives and ending in witty quotes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I played way too much of this over the free weekend and then forgot to buy when it was still on sale :negative:

next sale though, first thing right away. On my wishlist and everything.

One thing I'd like to see - maybe this is in there somewhere - is more missions which have opportunity for your agents to talk. To each other or not, but random quips at the start and/or on death aren't enough. I'm sure that's a lot of work but I think it'd help a lot. Particular events trigger dialogue lines and those can be seeded into some missions so you see a few over the course of a run. I never played this without Contingency Plan but it seems to have added a run which does that? That's cool. More of those maybe?

And more of Central sassing you nonstop.

PS when adding dialogue please remember that for me as a scrub newbie, Internationale is the best and deserves to be the best in all ways

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 16, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: Internationale is great but I kind of feel like I'm treating her wireless uplink augment as a crutch. I am so used to being able to hack terminals from 6 squares away, but there are so many other agents...

Ah, speaking of safes got me thinking about daemons. My favorite Incognita setup so far is Power Drip, Parasite, Taurus, Wisp, and Ping. Taurus is surprisingly useful, since there's usually some camera or turret somewhere you can shuffle a daemon off to and just ignore. Daemon on a turret that's not doing anything since the generator is hacked... :v:

Well, until later days when firewalls start at level 2 and you spend entire turns waiting for Parasite to do its work... :downsgun:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Had my first agent loss that wasn't a full wipe; Banks and Nika got pinned down in the Security Vault by a combination of rapidly piling up guards and the loving Plastech hacker assholes constantly reclaiming the cameras, which was more of a problem because I hosed up my power supply with Fusion by dropping below 5 before I could re-up thanks to a combination of power drain and cost jumping daemons. Banks managed to slip out with a lucky sprint and catch up to Derek at the extraction point, but Nika wasn't so lucky. "Deliver Final Words" is an option more games should have.

Now I guess I'm just rolling the dice that the detention center I'm running to now has Nika instead of loving Decker, but I'm not getting all those Tazers and Ventricular Lances back, am I.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

WarLocke posted:

Well, until later days when firewalls start at level 2 and you spend entire turns waiting for Parasite to do its work... :downsgun:
This is why I dumped parasite. It's just not viable above beginner unless you go straight for an alternative program; that additional camera activation makes it too much of a liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bhodi posted:

This is why I dumped parasite. It's just not viable above beginner unless you go straight for an alternative program; that additional camera activation makes it too much of a liability.

Well right now my only options are Parasite or Lockpick. And 2 Power for 1 firewall is gonna get real expensive... :ohdear:

• Locked thread