Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
There are five countries with two opponents in each. Japan (Retsu and Geki). USA (Joe and Mike), China (Lee and Gen), UK (Birdie and Eagle), and Thailand (Adon and Sagat).

And I agree that the controls in this game are really, REALLY bad. Kicks are pretty much useless and while I would never advocate mashing in any fighting game (outside of stuff like supers in Marvel to get more hits and damage), trying to mash out Hadoukens and using standing punches as your anti airs are actually your best strategy. The part where you got beat by Joe spamming jump kick over and over again is a common occurrence in this game. Most characters can and will have patterns where they do a neverending stream of jump attacks and you have a small window to punch them out of it. Birdie and Adon are the worst for this, especially the latter who's jump attack is his Jaguar Kick from later games, and seems to be massively +frames on block. Capcom never really learned how to balance their games properly.

Also, we already know who will be next on Mount Rushmore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

AMovieReference posted:

I thought the theory was that the guy fighting in the beginning of Street Fighter II was supposed to be Cody or something?

That's pretty much the main debate among fans. Is it Joe, or is it Cody?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4qmxvJ7Z8

Time for the conclusion to the Simpsons. If you've never seen Mr.Burns' absurd mech suit or the nonsequitur kabuki themed penultimate stage, here you go. Philosophers will debate the meaning of Smithers' suicide vest for years to come.

I for one can understand why 'Joe' never made it into the Street Fighter hall of fame. Only memorable for his lack of memorable qualities. I also take back that Cosby comment re: Mike, he looks more like a California raisin.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kangra posted:

Mt. Rushmore does seem a lot smaller than you'd expect, because you have to get super close to feel the perspective, but you can still see it from a fair distance. I think there's also a perception that it's as large as a whole mountain (something like Denali, or Fuji, or Mt. Rainier) when really it's more in the scale of a largish hotel on the side of a mountain.

Mount Rushmore was initially supposed to be a lot larger, not in terms of how it's scaled now though, it was supposed to go from head to waist of all 3 presidents. They ran out of funding so that's where it's been left off.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Bart Vs the Space Mutants has a lot of good ideas (fun fact--the purple bit is only the first level--each level has a different thing the aliens are after, like hats for example) but it ended up being one of the most obtuse and not at all intuitive games for the entire system. It's really poorly utilized yet ambitiously designed. Watching someone who's GOOD at the game is fun and interesting.

It could be worse, they followed up that on the NES with Simpsons World Tour which is like "we didn't play test this at all" the NES game, and is pure rear end.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
The Die Hard Arcade thing was Deep Scan. You were on a boat and had to drop depth charges onto submarines to get points. The lower down a submarine was, the more points it was worth. It was rather annoying, but after a while, it became easy to get credits for it.

Also, I always remember the "Main Parogram" in the credits and why they threw away the diamond. Surely even the reward money would be pretty hefty.

And yes, Bart vs the World was an atrocity. The China levels skateboarding down the Great Wall and the Antarctic ice cave levels are some of the most horribly designed things ever.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Choco1980 posted:

Bart Vs the Space Mutants has a lot of good ideas (fun fact--the purple bit is only the first level--each level has a different thing the aliens are after, like hats for example) but it ended up being one of the most obtuse and not at all intuitive games for the entire system. It's really poorly utilized yet ambitiously designed. Watching someone who's GOOD at the game is fun and interesting.

It could be worse, they followed up that on the NES with Simpsons World Tour which is like "we didn't play test this at all" the NES game, and is pure rear end.

One funny thing with Bart vs Space Mutants is the various gimmicks and secrets were dense in the first level, sparser in the second, and basically disappeared beyond the third. They tried to do a huge amount, with a large inventory with a bunch of context specific uses in a sidescroller, but ended up with a convoluted mess. They also had a soundclip of bart saying eat my shorts when he died which was very impressive for the NES.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

I dont know posted:

One funny thing with Bart vs Space Mutants is the various gimmicks and secrets were dense in the first level, sparser in the second, and basically disappeared beyond the third. They tried to do a huge amount, with a large inventory with a bunch of context specific uses in a sidescroller, but ended up with a convoluted mess. They also had a soundclip of bart saying eat my shorts when he died which was very impressive for the NES.

Well one more detail that infuriated me was I had the Genesis version which lacked any trace of the Simpsons theme and had this god drat music playing from the time you start to the game straight up to the second level I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEhGXk4AnbA

I mean basically every Simpsons game I ever played on a console was in blind hope that something would approximate the sweet beatemup. This is so far from that.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Hoss Corncave posted:

And yes, Bart vs the World was an atrocity. The China levels skateboarding down the Great Wall and the Antarctic ice cave levels are some of the most horribly designed things ever.

This. Your post dredged up a bunch of sad memories of playing this shitpile at my friend's house decades ago... I clearly recall the junk level (hurrrr... the entire game) that comes before the Great Wall level in China, too.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Teketeketeketeke posted:

This. Your post dredged up a bunch of sad memories of playing this shitpile at my friend's house decades ago... I clearly recall the junk level (hurrrr... the entire game) that comes before the Great Wall level in China, too.

I believe James Rolfe dedicated an episode specifically to the games we're talking about. I remember his exact quote was "Oh. Dear. God. Have. Fuckin'. Mercy."

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, it's Monday, and we've got something that isn't Simpsons and Street Fighter, it's Gauntlet Legends.

Just click on this picture below. (Or you can just click this if you're lazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4t9KLWH7k)

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4t9KLWH7k

This week we start on Gauntlet Legends. All the games we do are coinop, but in case you need reference this is the one that was ported to N64. We struggle through the easiest dungeon because the only thing we are worse at than self preservation is teamwork.

Edit: goddamn, near exactly simultaneous post. Oh well. Just goes to reinforce my statement about teamwork.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

This is atrocious and was par of the trend that made me sell my Sega Genesis to be able to afford a SNES back in the day. It was a wise decision.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Lemma posted:

This week we start on Gauntlet Legends. All the games we do are coinop, but in case you need reference this is the one that was ported to N64. We struggle through the easiest dungeon because the only thing we are worse at than self preservation is teamwork.

Edit: goddamn, near exactly simultaneous post. Oh well. Just goes to reinforce my statement about teamwork.

The remake of this game (Gauntlet Dark Legacy) was really fun on console.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

hanales posted:

The remake of this game (Gauntlet Dark Legacy) was really fun on console.

I had some friends who had it on Game Cube and power leveled me on the second to last boss by just having myself hide in the corner and they would just kill the boss over and over.

One thing I do want to point out about this video, this is the arcade version, and is a monster to get to run smoothly since it just chews up all available CPU. I've got my computer overclocked to 4.07ghz with 4 cores, and it still uses up 60% of my CPU on all the cores. It's kinda crazy.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Lemma posted:

This game is still poorly documented in way of strategy guides and source art. It'll be good to shed more light on this lost gem.

Also: Pojo.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, it's about that time for another video, and this time we've got a bit of a special one. We all know that sports and video games generally don't go well together, but there are very few exceptions. One of those exceptions was NFL Blitz.

This game was one of my favorite games to play with my friend on the Nintendo 64, even though I didn't know a drat thing about football at the time (debatable how much I actually know now). Anyhow, hope you enjoy. We went ahead and played an entire game since it was 50 cents a pop per quarter of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOb6yoki5Q

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Whoo, Detroit!

Also, Mutant League Hockey was better than Football. (Yes, my being a Detroit area dude might have something to do with that perception.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

It's looking rather like my Battle Balls suggestion will show up in 2017, but since you've shown this, I'm going to replace my suggestion of NBA Jam with Tournament Cyberball 2072. Because who doesn't want to see a player blown up when the ball explodes after the last down?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

It's looking rather like my Battle Balls suggestion will show up in 2017, but since you've shown this, I'm going to replace my suggestion of NBA Jam with Tournament Cyberball 2072. Because who doesn't want to see a player blown up when the ball explodes after the last down?

Hooo. I wanna avoid saying too much because who knows how this will work out, but not only is Battle Balls coming up soon but we are working on a way to try and increase our output so we don't have to slow bleed videos like this. One of your other requests was the subject of aaaaaa......nn... "experimental" online recording setup we devised. Still on the fence about how well it could work, but we'll probably put it up around the same time as BB and see how it works.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
I guess Lemma never got around to posting this for some reason, but here is part II to Gauntlet Legends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog4sezhEEM

FredMSloniker posted:

We can do both, it just takes us some time to get the stars to align, mostly because we're all three living across the country and trying to figure out the best way to make videos.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
IT BEGINS. At long last we get to Senkyu Battle Balls. The innocuous puzzle game ended up turning into a five part marathon LP so I believe we're just going to upload one video a day for the rest of the week. Happy Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhIQD_2LRM

This ended up being a pretty cool game, much like Puyo Puyo but the "rolling ball" mechanic makes it a little unique and interesting. The character art is also poppy and vaguely puyo-esque. Not much to dislike here. Sadly this innocent-looking game immediately brought out the worst in us so expect many ball jokes. And worse. I do believe we ended up bleeping some out because looking back we sometimes cannot understand what compels us to say the things we do. Anyway check back frequently for the BB saga. We'll also probably be getting to some more requests imminently, so remain ever vigilant my sentimental friends.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 23, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

IT BEGINS. At long last we get to Senkyu Battle Balls. The innocuous puzzle game ended up turning into a five part marathon LP so I believe we're just going to upload one video a day for the rest of the week. Happy Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhIQD_2LRM

Something is wrong with this video. The actual video part is playing way too slow; it should look more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltprI9Bmgc

The game audio sounds right, and very quickly gets out of sync with the video, but your commentary audio seems to be synced with the video; was that recorded in post? E: never mind, sounds like that desyncs too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

"I'm going to eff you in the gently caress" Another Keithism for the vault.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Something is wrong with this video. The actual video part is playing way too slow; it should look more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltprI9Bmgc

The game audio sounds right, and very quickly gets out of sync with the video, but your commentary audio seems to be synced with the video; was that recorded in post? E: never mind, sounds like that desyncs too.

Huh, I can offer some explanations for that then. When we were originally recording the first few videos we were recording in 30 FPS, which normally will just drop a few frames here and there to adhere to the frame rate, until we played this, where apparently it just slowed the whole video down. We fixed it around the time we played Blitz and Gauntlet because those games won't run if you try recording at anything slower than 60fps. (BTW the games recorded in 30fps were Simpsons, Battle Balls, Sonic 2, Jurassic Park, House of the Dead 2, Chiller and CarnEvil, and like two more that haven't been released yet, so nothing is "ruined" as far as I'm aware). We didn't know the game was supposed to be faster, and didn't think anything about it, since as far as we thought, the first issue we knew about was with Blitz, and we fixed it from there.

For the audio, we had the volume down really low so it wouldn't be picked up by our mics so we didn't hear any of that, and when we checked the playback it was really lovely and skipping (which I now know is because the frame rate was too slow.) So instead of having no audio at all, I just recorded the game being played and used that audio and just hoped for the best, but I guess this game was really important to you that you were able to discern all that right away haha.

Hopefully it doesn't ruin the series for you. It is Battle Balls week. . . . WE DID IT FOR YOU FRED!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Wow Jesus I never knew any of that about frame rates and sound. The more I learn about our engineering process the more glad I become that I don't do AV stuff. Good thing Kyle is going to school for it and gradually elevating our LPs from two bit to firmly four-bit caliber production. Soon, we might even be looking down contemptuously on the world from our perch upon six-bit mountain.

I am seeing the benefit to doing this with headphones though, lets us keep track of the game audio without risking our precious live recording.

So.... all that said, is it just the spliced in game audio that's off or is there actually an issue with the commentary too? I CAN'T TAKE ALL OF THIS UNCERTAINTY.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

Wow Jesus I never knew any of that about frame rates and sound. The more I learn about our engineering process the more glad I become that I don't do AV stuff. Good thing Kyle is going to school for it and gradually elevating our LPs from two bit to firmly four-bit caliber production. Soon, we might even be looking down contemptuously on the world from our perch upon six-bit mountain.

I am seeing the benefit to doing this with headphones though, lets us keep track of the game audio without risking our precious live recording.

So.... all that said, is it just the spliced in game audio that's off or is there actually an issue with the commentary too? I CAN'T TAKE ALL OF THIS UNCERTAINTY.

It's all synced fine and well. It's just a different game audio track in the background.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Having watched the video all the way through this time (and taken advantage of VLC's speed controls to make you all sound like John Moschitta, Jr.), it sounds like the commentary's synced after all, so yay!

Also, I don't think I said this before: congratulations on pronouncing my name correctly! Some people struggle with it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

...huh. For some reason my post isn't showing up in the thread. In fact, the forums keep saying there's one unread message in the thread, and I can't seem to clear that. I'm going to post this in hopes it unsticks whatever.

E: there we go!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Worry not people the campaign of terror continues unabated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbbxgofuXEU

Honestly I think this is my favorite play through of anything so far. We go to some strange and terrible places in the ensuing parts.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Honestly I think this is my favorite play through of anything so far. We go to some strange and terrible places in the ensuing parts.

Well, now I have to share this with my friends. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I want to know what the thing that had to be bleeped out was, when almost the next thing you said was a rape joke :stare:

I laughed a lot anyway because I'm also a horrible person :unsmith:

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I want to know what the thing that had to be bleeped out was, when almost the next thing you said was a rape joke :stare:

I laughed a lot anyway because I'm also a horrible person :unsmith:

It was pretty disgusting, don't worry. I actually like the mystique it adds; I hadn't realized how well it juxtaposes with yet another unforgivable comment immediately afterwards. That's pretty funny.

Know what else is unforgivable? That these two scrubs were washed out of quarters b the third episode. Here the reigning champion takes on the computer... but at what cost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8MuhPs_Oo

For real though there's a few rad unlikely combos that are a wonder to behold. This is a pretty cool puzzle game.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Okay, battle balls is seriously the best game you guys have done. Never stop doing battle balls.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Okay, battle balls is seriously the best game you guys have done. Never stop doing battle balls.

Battle Balls goes through the end of the week, so there's still plenty more to go. A new episode will be dropping in about 30 minutes.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Yes I had never known true passion until Battle Balls brought light to my benighted existence.

Anyway yes here is part 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SItk6JaF7w

Bonk. And yes btw from here on out videos auto-unlock on youtube at Noon EST. Monday Wednesday Thursday always, more if we manage to get some new eps recorded. We're working out a remote teleconference thing since we are in different states for the time being; so far the method shows promise but there's a few kinks to work out. (Especially that I need a batter condenser mic.) But this means we can have better turnaround on requests!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Lemma posted:

Yes I had never known true passion until Battle Balls brought light to my benighted existence.

Anyway yes here is part 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SItk6JaF7w

I, for one, am thankful for this week of Battle Balls. (I'm not even very good at it. I just think it has a neat aesthetic and am downright shocked there doesn't seem to be a single clone of it!)

E: also, swirls in the glasses do not mean they're crazy. They mean their glasses are very thick.

E E: the way the combo thing works is down to timing. The first time you both generated crazy combos at once, your combos ended at about the same time, so the blue meters you accumulated making the combos turned into red meters for each other. Red meters only turn into garbage balls after your next ball drop after the meter stops filling. So you each had one last chance to make matches to mitigate the red, but you didn't, so you got dumped on.

The second time, the tanuki completed his big combo first, leaving you with a huge red meter incoming... but since you already had a combo going at that point, your combo ate his, leaving a very tiny amount of blue to get sent his way.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 26, 2015

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
And with this, our Battle Balls saga comes to an ignominious end. This is indeed a Blackest of Fridays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTfdFdOY6sY

Thanks for being here with us through thick and thin, fellows. (And fellettes.)

FredMSloniker posted:

E: also, swirls in the glasses do not mean they're crazy. They mean their glasses are very thick.

E E: the way the combo thing works is down to timing. The first time you both generated crazy combos at once, your combos ended at about the same time, so the blue meters you accumulated making the combos turned into red meters for each other. Red meters only turn into garbage balls after your next ball drop after the meter stops filling. So you each had one last chance to make matches to mitigate the red, but you didn't, so you got dumped on.

The second time, the tanuki completed his big combo first, leaving you with a huge red meter incoming... but since you already had a combo going at that point, your combo ate his, leaving a very tiny amount of blue to get sent his way.

I see... yeah, I figured it worked a bit like Puyo Puyo where you can mitigate the number of blank balls by chaining your own combo before the reckoning. (Btw this game whet our appetite for puzzlers so much we did end up doing Puyo... so look for that in the coming weeks I guess?)

I never knew quite what the glasses swirl was about. Neat.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Something a bit different this week. We discovered a surprisingly robust game from literally the 1970's called Spacechaser. It's like Pacman actually. Taito made it and it's pretty fun!

But to that end: Kyle and Keith each make a go of getting a high score. HOWEVER. Kyle stupidly deleted his half of the audio the first time through so a substantial portion of this recording his Kyle getting berated for his incompetence. He can't seem to concentrate on the game with his lingering rage! Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNa6OOg8t5g

Next time we'll see how Keith fares. (Spoiler he does way better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

Something a bit different this week. We discovered a surprisingly robust game from literally the 1970's called Spacechaser. It's like Pacman actually. Taito made it and it's pretty fun!

But to that end: Kyle and Keith each make a go of getting a high score. HOWEVER. Kyle stupidly deleted his half of the audio the first time through so a substantial portion of this recording his Kyle getting berated for his incompetence. He can't seem to concentrate on the game with his lingering rage! Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNa6OOg8t5g

Next time we'll see how Keith fares. (Spoiler he does way better.)

I know it's slightly blasphematic (I don't think that's a word, but gently caress it, I'm coining it now), but even though Battle Balls was a masterpiece in itself, I think this is probably my favorite recording we did of the last session, even though I was being poo poo on the entire time. Seriously, rage induces some of the best hosed up words one can summon. It's funny listening to this with time separating the whole thing and just laughing at the poo poo pouring out of my mouth.

• Locked thread