Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Boinks posted:

Either that or show us some kind of skill tree so we know what we're working towards.

I'm pretty sure it does the latter on the bottom screen like in DQ9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm pretty sure it does the latter on the bottom screen like in DQ9.

Awesome, I can't wait.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

A great bit of news for Dragon Quest fans indeed. I am enjoying Dragon Quest Heroes. About 5 hours in and so far I give it 6.5/10. It is very fun to play for one or two battles then I feel I need to put it down and play something else. What it does is awesome but I don't lose myself in the world/adventury bits. I see this taking me months to finish as I only play 30-60 minutes a day while spending longer gaming sessions on more immersive games.

Still, happy I got it at launch, happy that Q7 and 8 are coming to 3DS (I might have to pick one up again if they come out in Europe) and really, really hoping this is a sign that XI will see an English translation.

I guess it is too much to hope that Square Enix signs with Sony and gets their stuff on PS Now. Would love to play DQ8 through my PS4...

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

What did you actually want from a 3DS remake of 8? Like, my only complaint would be that it doesn't look as nice as the PS2 version.

But you seem to think that they should have overhauled systems or something and I'd like to know what those would be.

e: oh and I'd like a way to reset skill builds

Online content like that which was in all 3 of the other 3DS games.

Includes pseudo DLC for free, as well as streetpass features that add dozens of hours of gameplay to the game, which I stress, is done online via wi-fi. Not sure why so many people seem to keep missing the fact that dqm, dqm2, and dq7 all streetpass over the Internet, meaning you will always have people to pass from your home.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If it's online functionality it's not streetpass. They're arguing about the nomenclature, they're not disputing the claim that the streetpass features have an online equivalent.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If it's online functionality it's not streetpass. They're arguing about the nomenclature, they're not disputing the claim that the streetpass features have an online equivalent.

I've explained this like 3 times now. Please TRY to listen.

DQ7, DQM, DQM2 all allow you to streetpass people over the Internet. There is a specific FEATURE OF THE GAME called online street pass, that allows you to connect to random people a set number of times per day, or under certain circumstances (ie, in dqm2, you can set the game to streetpass any person you fight in a casual or ranked battle via the online battle feature, if you choose to do so) that works the exact same as if you were to streetpass a person on the street.

Online features and online streetpass are two separate things (or two different aspects of the same thing), that these games have.

DQ8 in fact has the feature as well, but as I explained before, it doesn't work correctly because you need to steetpass the same random 1 in however many 100s of thousands of people are using the feature twice on two separate days to benefit from it. Additionally, the streetpass features are useless on top of that anyways, so it's moot.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 17, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Online content like that which was in all 3 of the other 3DS games.

Includes pseudo DLC for free, as well as streetpass features that add dozens of hours of gameplay to the game, which I stress, is done online via wi-fi. Not sure why so many people seem to keep missing the fact that dqm, dqm2, and dq7 all streetpass over the Internet, meaning you will always have people to pass from your home.

But the online content that you're referring to is what exactly? If it's Monster Arena battles, then you make it sound like they've already got DQM1&2 to cover that.

Like, DQ8's arena is just recruit poo poo, so it doesn't really have the form a party of perfect monsters aspect going for it.

And what was 7's online content? I haven't played the Japanese games, and I haven't really seen any import reviews or anything.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

But the online content that you're referring to is what exactly? If it's Monster Arena battles, then you make it sound like they've already got DQM1&2 to cover that.

Like, DQ8's arena is just recruit poo poo, so it doesn't really have the form a party of perfect monsters aspect going for it.

And what was 7's online content? I haven't played the Japanese games, and I haven't really seen any import reviews or anything.

DQ7 has maps (or shard fragments to fit the theme) that work like dq9s maps. They come both in DLC and player generated form.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

DQ7 has maps (or shard fragments to fit the theme) that work like dq9s maps. They come both in DLC and player generated form.

Oh okay, I see what you're looking for then. I mean, I'm not sure lengthy RPGs like Dragon Quest need padding like that. But now I understand what you wanted at least.

Did the DLC shards in 7 have some story attached to them, or was it just here's a map, kill the boss?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BabyRyoga posted:

Ugh. The random dungeons were by far the worst part about DQ9 (EDIT: For me, I'm sure others enjoyed them). I'd consider it a benefit that DQ8DS doesn't have any of that poo poo, because it means no content is gated behind it.

(Similarly, I would never, ever do online competitive multiplayer and probably never do online cooperative multiplayer, so "but DQM had online content gated behind that!" is not a rallying point for me either)

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I have to say "DQ8 doesn't have the crappy DLC of DQ9" is a net positive, not negative for me.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Erg posted:

Oh okay, I see what you're looking for then. I mean, I'm not sure lengthy RPGs like Dragon Quest need padding like that. But now I understand what you wanted at least.

Did the DLC shards in 7 have some story attached to them, or was it just here's a map, kill the boss?

None of the stuff in 7 is story related. I mean, I guess you need to go through the motions of streetpassing or downloading the DLC at least a little bit to fill up your immigrant town with citizens, as it is tied into that. You don't actually have to play the dungeons though if you just want to max out your town.

Zurai posted:

(Similarly, I would never, ever do online competitive multiplayer and probably never do online cooperative multiplayer, so "but DQM had online content gated behind that!" is not a rallying point for me either)

The 3DS DQM games are largely competitive battles. There is story, but it doesn't have much substance to it at all. A fair comparison would be that they are kinda like the 3DS Pokemon games, but less story driven and more competitive online content focused. Could be that this is why they haven't been picked up for localization.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, that's fair enough, then. If the game is competitive multiplayer centric, then content based around competitive multiplayer is fine. They're not games I'd ever buy, but not every game is for me, after all.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, for DQ8 especially I don't think I'd really want random generated dungeons. It'd be kind of weird compared to DQ7.

More dungeons of any sort when I've got more classes and stuff that masters per battle? Sure, give me more places to battle even if they're random and generic. DQ8? Naw, I'm good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to say "DQ8 doesn't have the crappy DLC of DQ9" is a net positive, not negative for me.

I only ever did the boss battles in DQ9 to any degree once I came across the Hoimi Table. Though I did get the gauntlets to drop off the first map's boss the 2nd time I fought him, which was cool because it meant having amazing armor for my MC for about half the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Evil Fluffy posted:

:woop: :toot: :dance: :neckbeard:

Reasons to buy a PS4 just got cut in half. Come on Disgaea 5, get a PC release too!

Disgaea 1 is headed to Steam, so you may be in luck.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
:siren: DQH Steam page is live and the game comes out on December 3rd. :siren:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/410850/

TurnipFritter posted:

Disgaea 1 is headed to Steam, so you may be in luck.

Neat. Here's hoping the rest follow. I might grab Disgaea 1 when it comes out. Hopefully it's either a remake with QoL improvements or the game's aged well.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Just a heads up, Dragon Quest: Heroes now has a page on the Steam store so you can pre-order. Currently you get 10% off the price so purchase it now if you know you're getting it.

e: beaten

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Neat. Here's hoping the rest follow. I might grab Disgaea 1 when it comes out. Hopefully it's either a remake with QoL improvements or the game's aged well.

I don't think it's a remake but a port of Hour of Darkness with some minor updates. It goes into more detail on the Steam page.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Preordering this so hard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i beat DQH today. all quests. 60ish hours of fun for me. need the multiplayer sequel right now.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Real hurthling! posted:

i beat DQH today. all quests. 60ish hours of fun for me. need the multiplayer sequel right now.

How did you beat the Lion and the Hydra at the same time. I keep getting wrecked.

Also, a couple of those Map bosses wreck me (Zoma, etc.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

logger posted:

Just a heads up, Dragon Quest: Heroes now has a page on the Steam store so you can pre-order. Currently you get 10% off the price so purchase it now if you know you're getting it.

e: beaten

Check with Greenmangaming before pre-ordering. They usually have a 20% off coupon for major games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Check with Greenmangaming before pre-ordering. They usually have a 20% off coupon for major games.

Apparently they're also pretty scummy and a lot of companies have been disavowing them so be careful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
is it normal to have the last mission of DQH appear as new! on my map after i beat it already? the red book icon is there and it is still telling me I have "the light vs the night" to beat but i already did it and saw the credits roll. strange.

Also who do i talk to to trigger ng+?

LorneReams posted:

How did you beat the Lion and the Hydra at the same time. I keep getting wrecked.

i used a lot of healstones.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently they're also pretty scummy and a lot of companies have been disavowing them so be careful.

Is there a link to it? I've never had problems with them in like the 3 years I used them outside of that time they changed prices because Europe complained that their games are priced correctly instead of the direct Dollars translation.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The thing with GMG is that some publishers like activision and ubisoft claim they aren't authorized key sellers for their games, so if you buy something from those publishers where your key is actually coming from could be a little suspect, but they also have official deals with a lot of other publishers. GMG actually lists SE as one of their official partners on the site, so you're safe there

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

The thing with GMG is that some publishers like activision and ubisoft claim they aren't authorized key sellers for their games, so if you buy something from those publishers where your key is actually coming from could be a little suspect, but they also have official deals with a lot of other publishers. GMG actually lists SE as one of their official partners on the site, so you're safe there

I never bought ubisoft or activision games so that would explain it. Just buy games from the official sponsors that are at the bottom of the site.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't think it's a remake but a port of Hour of Darkness with some minor updates. It goes into more detail on the Steam page.

It's a port of Afternoon of Darkness, so it has things like animation skip.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

In Dragon Quest Heroes, when do I start getting good recipes and what can I do with the crafted items? Where's the place to equip them?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Too bad disgaea 1 is the worst gaea.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

BadAstronaut posted:

In Dragon Quest Heroes, when do I start getting good recipes and what can I do with the crafted items? Where's the place to equip them?

I started getting them almost immediately, although some are of questionable use. My first item I created and used for most of the game was the thing that keeps you from being knocked back. Absolutely worth it until end game.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

How do we equip them to individual characters?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

BadAstronaut posted:

How do we equip them to individual characters?

Choose equip? Each character has three slots.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, selling $60 games for $40 sure is scummy. I feel so bad for the multi billion dollar corporations who are suffering because of this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Too bad disgaea 1 is the worst gaea.

No, that is 3.

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah, selling $60 games for $40 sure is scummy. I feel so bad for the multi billion dollar corporations who are suffering because of this.

There is literally nobody anywhere, ever, who said that selling games at discount is the issue there.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
That's exactly the issue that those companies have with it. It's no different than textbook publishers getting mad because you can buy one of their books from India for $30 instead of paying them $200.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

No, the problem is that the grey market has no oversight so those cheap keys could have been bought with stolen credit cards before being sold to places like GMG.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BadAstronaut posted:

Recipes you earn as drops or buy with medals. there are lots of good ones. to make them though You need to do bag quests to get space for better mats unless you dont mind selling all your poo poo mats one at a time in the shop to make room for what you need.
The most powerful items ive found raise your crit rate which with the skills that give you damage boost and mana regen on crit, basicall break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

That's exactly the issue that those companies have with it. It's no different than textbook publishers getting mad because you can buy one of their books from India for $30 instead of paying them $200.

No, the problem is that they are selling grey market keys which are not supported and may even be purchased illegally or not work. That is in fact the thing that started this whole kerfluffle because people were getting codes that didn't work and Activision's response was "Well, they're not official resellers so sucks for you." If S-E is an official partner with GMG then it shouldn't be an issue but acting like it's a problem because they're being sold cheap is dumb.