Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Splizwarf posted:

Worth noting that the Metro Datavac brought up earlier costs the same as 4 cans of compressed air. Also, less waste! :razz:

Well, it costs the same as 4 6 packs from Costco... But I agree and it is in my shopping cart on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Goddamn, someone with reasonable pricing. The last time I bought canned air was at Staples for $11/can. :shepspends:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've actually been considering this as well. At work, they get these 1L CO2 bottles for the sparkling water dispenser, and afterwards they just toss them. I guess Powershift's experiment shows this won't really work, but I wonder how it'd work if one just used the CO2? No idea what they cost, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think you'll quickly run into the issue of a small paintbrush compressor (or datavac) being so much easier, and not that expensive, that it's just not worth messing around with refilling bottles.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Like Powershift, I'm mainly intrigued by the possibility. If it was all about dust blown out per dollar spent, I'd just get some cans.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Why not just buy a length of plastic tubing and build up your lung muscle strength by blowing sailors?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Tools thread seems like it might be the appropriate place for this question. I bought a shift knob last weekend, but the threads aren't even close to what I'll eventually need. I really don't want to drop money on a decent drill bit (with a shank small enough to fit my 3/8" drill) and a tap just for one project. Do you guys think a machine shop would take the job of just drilling out and retapping one hole? Any ideas what a shop might charge for something like that?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tekton wrench went "Ping!"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Tools thread seems like it might be the appropriate place for this question. I bought a shift knob last weekend, but the threads aren't even close to what I'll eventually need. I really don't want to drop money on a decent drill bit (with a shank small enough to fit my 3/8" drill) and a tap just for one project. Do you guys think a machine shop would take the job of just drilling out and retapping one hole? Any ideas what a shop might charge for something like that?

Is a six pack comparable in price to the tools you'd require? Because that's a 5 minute job.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cakefool posted:

Is a six pack comparable in price to the tools you'd require? Because that's a 5 minute job.

I kinda figured it'd be a total cake job. 15mm bit and an M16x1.5 tap would probably run me about 50 bucks. Plus, I'd need to borrow a drill with a 1/2" chuck or a press just to use a drat bit. I doubt I can find a 15mm bit with a 3/8" (9.5mm) shank. I need to find a machine shop...

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
If they are both common sizes(both the shift knob and the actual shifter) then it might also be possible/cheaper to find some sort of adapter. All you really need is something that threads into the shift knob and would slip over the existing shifter with a set screw to position it correctly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you have an Ollie's nearby I picked up a 3-pack of compressed air for $5.99 today.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Powershift posted:

Well, it didn't fuckin work.

Aired it up to 100 psi. the smallest tip i've got for the blow gun is about 3mm, it spits out air for about 15 seconds. only the first 5 seconds or so is usable. once i get the big compressor fixed, i'll narrow the tip down to a needle and run it up to 200 psi but it just doesn't seem like you can get enough air in with a regular compressor to make it a viable idea.

Yeah that's gently caress all air, even at 14bar. Hence why they charge those things to 300ish bar. You could try making a little venturi tip to get a little more volume.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pazrs posted:

Yeah that's gently caress all air, even at 14bar. Hence why they charge those things to 300ish bar. You could try making a little venturi tip to get a little more volume.

Yeah, if i could make the air more usable at a lower setting, i could see it lasting ~30 seconds off a 150-200 psi charge. It's still not practical, because i don't think many people have these things lying around, The tank is well beyond it's service life as a SCBA tank, and i doubt anyone would even re-certify it. it's sister tank still has 2500psi in it according to the gauge, but everything beyond the low pressure regulator is some wacky thread that nobody has fittings for(possibly BSPP) because if it wasn't idiots would probably use them to fill flat tires and poo poo, and i really don't feel like subjecting cheap chinese air fittings to 10 times their rated capacity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I kinda figured it'd be a total cake job. 15mm bit and an M16x1.5 tap would probably run me about 50 bucks. Plus, I'd need to borrow a drill with a 1/2" chuck or a press just to use a drat bit. I doubt I can find a 15mm bit with a 3/8" (9.5mm) shank. I need to find a machine shop...

If you are somewhere near eastern/central mass I could be easily convinced to add M16 to my tap collection. I already have all the other tools.

I am terrible at remembering to ship things otherwise I'd say just send it to me.

Also, here's a cheap M16x1.5 tap: http://www.amazon.com/Drill-America...rds=m16x1.5+tap
And a cheapish 15mm / 19/32 drill: http://www.amazon.com/Drill-America...ords=15mm+drill

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

If you are somewhere near eastern/central mass I could be easily convinced to add M16 to my tap collection. I already have all the other tools.

I am terrible at remembering to ship things otherwise I'd say just send it to me.

Also, here's a cheap M16x1.5 tap: http://www.amazon.com/Drill-America...rds=m16x1.5+tap
And a cheapish 15mm / 19/32 drill: http://www.amazon.com/Drill-America...ords=15mm+drill

Unfortunately I'm not even close. Chicago area. There used to be a machine shop a mile away from my house. At least I assume it was a machine shop as it had "MACHINE SHOP" in huge gently caress-off orange letters down the side of their building. They must've sold a while back because they painted over the "MACHINE" and I think they do countertops now. Sucks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Unfortunately I'm not even close. Chicago area. There used to be a machine shop a mile away from my house. At least I assume it was a machine shop as it had "MACHINE SHOP" in huge gently caress-off orange letters down the side of their building. They must've sold a while back because they painted over the "MACHINE" and I think they do countertops now. Sucks.

I bet I could knock it out for you pretty quick. PM me.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 4, 2020

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Extra posted:

The GearWrench 85054 torque wrench is fairly cheap and I need something that does 250 ft-lbs, any opinion on their torque products? It's about $75 more for the CDI equivalent.

I have their digital half inch and love it. I could be wrong, but I think that one is made in America, where as my wrench is Taiwan I think.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

If you have an Ollie's nearby I picked up a 3-pack of compressed air for $5.99 today.

Automotive Insanity > Tools! - Who's got the cheapest canned air?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Automotive Insanity > Tools! - Who's got the cheapest canned air?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
How do you guys mark your tools to help identify them in case they grow legs and walk off?

I was thinking about picking up a cheap laser engraver ( Like this one) and going hog wild. Good idea, bad idea, or should I just scratch my name in with a dremel or something?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just do the dremel. Both will save you tool theft equally well, so the only advantage of a laser would be the time saved, assuming it's significantly faster once you factor in time for programming the tool.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

How do you guys mark your tools to help identify them in case they grow legs and walk off?

I was thinking about picking up a cheap laser engraver ( Like this one) and going hog wild. Good idea, bad idea, or should I just scratch my name in with a dremel or something?

I doubt you'd have any luck with that. It takes a laser north of 100W with an oxygen assist to engrave metal. You could use something like TherMark -- you paint it on your tools, use the laser to cure it, and then wipe off the excess -- but TherMark is rated for 20-40 watt lasers. 500mW is super duper low power.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Safety Dance posted:

I doubt you'd have any luck with that. It takes a laser north of 100W with an oxygen assist to engrave metal. You could use something like TherMark -- you paint it on your tools, use the laser to cure it, and then wipe off the excess -- but TherMark is rated for 20-40 watt lasers. 500mW is super duper low power.

Thanks! Yeah, that particular one looks pretty lovely, the link was mostly for reference. Just seems like it'd be a handy idea to engrave everything with a name and phone number since I've got a pretty good investment in tools now (not that it probably wouldn't be dremelled off in the event of theft anyways).

So it sounds like adding custom laser engraved logos to all my tools is still a few years away from fruition them?

What about using an etching tool with paint pens/nail polish in the indentations?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

You'd think that someone like Snap-on would offer this as a free service.

It would kill the used market and hence boost their sales (like Apple did with the free ipod engraving)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

You'd think that someone like Snap-on would offer this as a free service.

It would kill the used market and hence boost their sales (like Apple did with the free ipod engraving)

Snap On repos too many tools to customize them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks! Yeah, that particular one looks pretty lovely, the link was mostly for reference. Just seems like it'd be a handy idea to engrave everything with a name and phone number since I've got a pretty good investment in tools now (not that it probably wouldn't be dremelled off in the event of theft anyways).

So it sounds like adding custom laser engraved logos to all my tools is still a few years away from fruition them?

What about using an etching tool with paint pens/nail polish in the indentations?

That'll probably work. Alternatively, pick up a GlowForge and some TherMark. Only 10x the cost of the laser engraver you mentioned initially.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spog posted:

Huh, never thought to why they offered that. Makes sense.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

Snap On repos too many tools to customize them.

This poo poo right here. Tool truck guys make soo much money selling tools and toolboxes twice.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Find a guy like me who has access to a 30-50w YAG laser setup and buy said person a case of beer. CO2 lasers can't mark steel/chrome/etc for poo poo without thermark.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A co-worker just sprayed the non-business end of all his tools Day-Glo pink. Worked really well, plus it helps a lot when you're trying to make sure you're not leaving anything where it shouldn't be after a job.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

spog posted:

Snap-on offer a free service.
ROFL

Tool guy was telling me about how a bunch of guys got busted hucking repo'ed and trade in tools on ebay and then they got busted again when they had their wives and girlfriends doing it for them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

MRC48B posted:

This poo poo right here. Tool truck guys make soo much money selling tools and toolboxes twice.

Something just seems really wrong that repossession of spanners is a thing.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I wish my matco guy would repo some of the lovely tools I've bought off him. I mean I shouldn't have to replace the bits for my impact driver every few uses. My HF lasts longer than the matco. I would stop paying him and let him repo the stuff but I love my power probe tooooo much

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Posted this in DIY....it's time again: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136120

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So i got a used 7/10 condition snappy classic 96 box (posted in chat cause i was excited but no one care) for $3500 hand shake deal on truck credit. And im reading on the internet nobody would pay more than 2 for it. Please make me feel better. And I am perfectly aware of how not wide it is.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 21, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Preoptopus posted:

So i got a used 7/10 condition snappy classic 96 box (posted in chat cause i was excited but no one care) for $3500 hand shake deal on truck credit. And im reading on the internet nobody would pay more than 2 for it. Please make me feel better. And I am perfectly aware of how not wide it is.

It's yours, use it and grow to love it and forget what you paid for it. You needed a box anyway.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nice. Thanks.

I've got a pretty big Armstrong 1/2" ratchet that I use for stubborn stuff. Hasn't let me down yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Any recommendations for a micrometer for home/shadetree mechanic use? Accurate enough to measure crankshaft journals, bearings, bores, etc.