Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Those portraits are really great, but I think the stronger stuff you've done with wet plate was shot outside the studio, especially that last portrait of your cousin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
You're absolutely right. I've paid rent up until december in there so once it's up i'll be outta there. I have much more fun doing outdoors/environmental stuff. Studio stuff is way too easy for me to fall into a cliché

I'd love a skylight studio tho

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

what the gently caress posted:

You're absolutely right. I've paid rent up until december in there so once it's up i'll be outta there. I have much more fun doing outdoors/environmental stuff. Studio stuff is way too easy for me to fall into a cliché

I'd love a skylight studio tho

I would image the studio made getting results much easier, as you have a space to work in to really learn the process. The whole dead-face close up portrait with wet-plate has been done to death, but maybe you could do some vanitas style still-life images while you've still got the studio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanitas). I've been wanting to do a modern take on that for a while, and a good friend of mine has done a bunch of series of paintings in that style too:
https://www.artsy.net/artwork/fabrizio-biviano-born-toulouse-lautrec-number-3

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

The whole dead-face close up portrait with wet-plate has been done to death

You're absolutely right again. Every time I've had people in there I've done my best to avoid that pose but a 5 or more second exposure with is really challenging for different facials (they have trouble just not blinking),

and with limited props and a headbrace it just ends up being the go-to pose. I can kinda see why everyone does it now. As I said having a traditional skylight studio would be awesome as you could go for amazing full body portraits (doing full bodies is hard with limited light capabilities where the lights are only just out of the frame in full face)

Even a 5 second exposure isn't ideal at f/4, I'm pushing development to 30 seconds in most cases.

I did try some still life stuff a little while ago but honestly it's just not my thing. I find working in my van just as easy as working in a darkroom I can stand up in and I think my results have been better mostly (that one of my cousin for instance, I was hungover as hell and that was the best one I've done to date imo)

I'll can the studio and stick to outdoors I think for now. Seems more my forte.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 11, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm glad you took that comment the right way, it wasn't a slight on you at all, more on people who ONLY shoot those portraits and don't do anything interesting with the medium.

But like you said, when the process is that slow, studio portraits of people will tend to look the same.

Good to hear you'll be getting back in the van for some outdoors work, look forward to seeing it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I agree, get that thing out of the studio. Loads of people shoot it in the studio as it is, you're finding a good niche/groove with the outdoor stuff. And you're more natural about it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers guys I appreciate the honest feedback and I agree with all of it. Seems wpc is getting more and more popular so doing something that stands out should be the real challenge. That and i mean it should all just be about taking good photos rather than just taking a photo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

what the gently caress posted:

Cheers guys I appreciate the honest feedback and I agree with all of it. Seems wpc is getting more and more popular so doing something that stands out should be the real challenge. That and i mean it should all just be about taking good photos rather than just taking a photo.

put your dick in all the pictures, noone else is doing that in wet plate ...yet

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Mix semen into the emulsion

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Speaking of doing something no-one else does, here is a landscape:

_DSC2335-Edit by Maciej, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

8th-snype posted:

put your dick in all the pictures, noone else is doing that in wet plate ...yet

:nws:
https://flic.kr/p/brf85x
:nws:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Villa Borghese by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Theres a real cool one in the LFF nude thread of a transexual that is dank as hell.

e: :nws: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?69594-Nude/page156&p=938668#post938668 :nws:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 12, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just got done replacing the light seals in my eBay Pentax 67. It was more of a mess than I anticipated. Now I have to let it cure for 24 hours before shooting again.

It didn't really have any leaks but the gunky old seals were leaving crap on my hands whenever I opened or closed the camera. I'm really hoping I didn't gently caress it up. :ohdear:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hp5+ taken as the first test shots of the rb67 i inherited from my dad. ansel autism was a good test subject:
lucas by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

using some portra 400 with the mamiya C3 i bought from SA users Bowbles:
yes by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There is an RB67 kit on the local ads here with 4 lenses + 2 backs for $500 and I wish as all hell I wasn't poor right now.

EDIT: Better deal than initially thought.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Big News: My rz67 has decided it likes me enough to let me shoot it with the darkslide in!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Big News: My rz67 has decided it likes me enough to let me shoot it with the darkslide in!

lol. Better than it not unlocking when darkslide is pulled out.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I bought a Koni Omega

Porta4160 by Brett Schlough, on Flickr

I like it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

akadajet posted:

lol. Better than it not unlocking when darkslide is pulled out.

That's true I shouldn't complain.

keyboard vomit posted:

I bought a Koni Omega

I like it.

Check your white balance, you've got a lot of green in there.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Check your white balance, you've got a lot of green in there.

that's just reciprocity success

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Tried some portraits

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

eggsovereasy posted:

Tried some portraits

Portra 160 looks nice.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A local listing has this for 25€

- Type Reflex TLR
- Filmtype : 120
- 6x6
- Aperture f/22, f/16 et f/11
- Shutter speed 1/25 1/50 et B
- Menisk Lens (?) 1:8
- standard flash socket
- 1955-1965

Am I going to waste film with this ? I picked up two rolls of 120 portra on a whim except I don't have a MF camera

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It'll be fun, at least. Make sure the shutter fires and the aperture blades aren't sticky.

They probably mean "meniscus lens"

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I am not familiar with this camera, but from what I read at various websites, seems like it is not true TLR, ie. view lens is not coupled with taking lens, and cannot be focused. Apperture and shutter speed seem very limiting. It also seems that lenses are plastic.

As for whether you're going to waste film, if I had 120 film lying around, but no other MF camera, I'd shoot a roll and see how I like the results.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

Am I going to waste film with this ? I picked up two rolls of 120 portra on a whim except I don't have a MF camera

It could be fun, might be a good gateway into a "real" MF camera. If I wanted a TLR, I'd find a cheap Yashica and shoot that. Or alternately, I just picked up a Mamiya C330 and 80mm 2.8 lens for around $200 on KEH which is basically nothing in photo dollars.

This wasn't shot on a TLR.

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Fucks sake

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Untitled by Maciej, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

keyboard vomit posted:

I bought a Koni Omega

I like it.

Welcome to the bolt action camera club. I really need to get the rolls I shot on mine to the lab.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Wrong format?

Not happy with these?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

Not happy with these?

Exposure 8 and 16 secs respectively

25ish secs development (which means technically underexposed, age of collodion is slowing it down and catching up to me)

and all manner of chemical fuckups as you can see. Think I've figured out most of what went wrong in both, just being my usual sloppy self is the reason for most of them ha.

Too liberal with albumen,, dirty pour bottles/contam'd collodion and scratched plates.

FIrst one I think dried out a little as I realised my camera was loose in the tripod so had to sit the wet plate on the ground while I hosed with my cam for a couple of minutes.

had a big, big clean out today of darkroom and all glassware/chems. Hopefully next time is more fruitful.

1 step forward, 2 steps back

Did you make it to the LF gathering, Sped?

D800 ?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 18, 2015

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

He has a super rare 645 D800 I guess.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I really like these fwiw.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

He could be scanning his negatives with his DSLR.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Galleria dell'Accademia, Firenze by alkanphel, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

daspope posted:

He could be scanning his negatives with his DSLR.

Bingo. Even tagged as such.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Putrid Grin posted:

Bingo. Even tagged as such.

What's your setup for this look like? Before springing for a scanner I tried taking pictures of my film on a light table using a tripod to hold the camera, but the color images were unrecoverably washed out when I tried processing them.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

akadajet posted:

What's your setup for this look like? Before springing for a scanner I tried taking pictures of my film on a light table using a tripod to hold the camera, but the color images were unrecoverably washed out when I tried processing them.

He could be using something like this:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/04/21/pentax-film-duplicator-helps-you-scan-35mm-and-medium-format-film-quicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Nothing as fancy, I am afraid. I had pictures of my setup posted in one of the threads here, but it is as you have mentioned a tripod with a d800, a light table and a negative holder.

akadajet posted:

I don't shoot much color film, but loss of contrast could be caused by lot of ambient light in the room reflecting off the surface of the film, or improper exposure.... just spitballing here.

• Locked thread