Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
My Moto 360 (2015) will be here Monday.

I've never tracked a package coming from China before. Hurry up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Got my watch today. Moto shipping is insanely fast.

:laffo:

Krime fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 14, 2015

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My Sony SW3 arrived today and I'm pretty happy with it. I've always preferred circular watches to square, but this is changing my opinion.

The one thing that surprised me the most is how comfortable it is, at least compared to my 360v1. My one negative so far is that the band, while comfortable, seems to be a magnet for dust/lint/dog hair.

There's a person on XDA selling 3D Printed watch band adapters for $12. Apparently they're still refining the design to eliminate gaps, but they're still serviceable and cheap. I'm tempted to give it a try so I can throw a NATO strap on it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

JayKay posted:

My Sony SW3 arrived today and I'm pretty happy with it. I've always preferred circular watches to square, but this is changing my opinion.

The one thing that surprised me the most is how comfortable it is, at least compared to my 360v1. My one negative so far is that the band, while comfortable, seems to be a magnet for dust/lint/dog hair.

There's a person on XDA selling 3D Printed watch band adapters for $12. Apparently they're still refining the design to eliminate gaps, but they're still serviceable and cheap. I'm tempted to give it a try so I can throw a NATO strap on it.

Think it's worth $99? I haven't owned a smart watch yet, and I'm finding it hard to stomach the $300+ for the stylish ones.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Super Dude posted:

Think it's worth $99? I haven't owned a smart watch yet, and I'm finding it hard to stomach the $300+ for the stylish ones.

I think it's a good buy at $99.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Rastor posted:

Huawei watch now available in the UK, online and at select Selfridges stores.

289 for silver with a leather band up to 599 for rose gold.

Damnit, I wanted a black one with a black mesh strap. Neither site offer those options.
Curse you Huawei and your "October release dates"

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don't Lol me posted:

Damnit, I wanted a black one with a black mesh strap. Neither site offer those options.
Does a black mesh version exist anywhere?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don't Lol me posted:

You know you can change watch straps, right?

I see an 18mm black mesh watch strap for 28.00 on Amazon UK.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Got a Moto360v1 as an impulse buy, and am pretty happy with it so far. It's usually nearly dead by the end of the day, but other than that it's just what I expected.

Any thread-recommended must have apps / faces for it?

Freezer fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 16, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Freezer posted:

Hoy a Moto360v1 as an impulse buy, and am pretty happy with it so far. It's usually nearly dead by the end of the day, but other than that it's just what I expected.

Mustache is good. Active also.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Freezer posted:

Hoy a Moto360v1 as an impulse buy, and am pretty happy with it so far. It's usually nearly dead by the end of the day, but other than that it's just what I expected.

I can get around 1.5 days of use with the ambient screen off so kill that if you want to boost battery. With it on I'm usually dead in ~12-14 hours.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Freezer posted:

I use Minimal & Elegant and Pujie Black on mine, both look great on a round watch and the former even makes novel use of the flat tyre.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Jumped on the Sony Smartwatch 3 deal. What watchfaces are good for the square screen format outside of LCARS?

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Rastor posted:

You know you can change watch straps, right?

I see an 18mm black mesh watch strap for 28.00 on Amazon UK.

Doh, welp no reason to not get one now :)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Chu020 posted:

Jumped on the Sony Smartwatch 3 deal. What watchfaces are good for the square screen format outside of LCARS?

I'm a big fan of http://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/jarvis-light-14b897694a3

Flashy, but functional.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Chu020 posted:

Sony has a selection of faces. Not my style personally but hey, free so may as well check it out.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Chu020 posted:

I bought the Watchmaker app and make my own faces. It's really easy to make basic ones and you can also go really indepth with it too - which I haven't. Because the transflective display is amazing I made a custom face with a huge bold time in the middle which means I never have to turn on the backlight to read the time. The thinner fonts used in the usual watchfaces is much harder to read at a glance in ambient mode if the lighting isn't great.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 17, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If you have the Watchmaker app make sure you're checking their Google+ page every few days, it's where most of the faces get released first.

Freezer posted:

It's usually nearly dead by the end of the day, but other than that it's just what I expected.
Make sure that it has the latest update installed, and then you can try giving it a factory reset. My replacement 360 only got something like 6 hours on a charge, but after I performed a factory reset the battery lasts ~1-1.5 days, depending on the watch face I'm using.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new motion gestures coming with 6.0 Marshmallow:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/19/a-quick-look-at-android-wear-1-4s-new-gestures-on-the-lg-watch-urbane-2/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Huawei Watch Turkey Day / Black Friday deals:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9766162/lg-watch-urbane-2nd-edition-sales-halted

Urbane 2 LTE halted, no sign as to whether they'll actually sell it later.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9766162/lg-watch-urbane-2nd-edition-sales-halted

Urbane 2 LTE halted, no sign as to whether they'll actually sell it later.

That is really bizarre and troubling. I think LG is my fav smartwatch maker overall.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Rastor posted:

Huawei Watch Turkey Day / Black Friday deals:

Good to know, thanks. It's too bad Verizon doesn't sell these because I really want one, but I get 35% off the 2nd gen Moto 360 and I'm not sure the Huatch is worth skipping the discount.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So apparently the whole recall issue goes back to the disappointing fact that the Wear apps only work on WiFi and Bluetooth, that the cell and messaging is the only function when on cellular.

Turns out the issue is data didn't work period on cellular. LG is implying that it is a hardware issue but hopefully it's a software issue that they can get sorted out pretty quickly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Three Olives posted:

hopefully it's a software issue that they can get sorted out pretty quickly.

Doesn't seem like it if they are pulling the product off shelves and may never sell it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How does that get through QC?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

How does that get through QC?

QC?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quality Control. The people who are supposed to test products to make sure the things actually work before they get sold. It's kind of an obvious oversight. Did they just hope people wouldn't notice?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
We know. Still, QC?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AlexF posted:

We know. Still, QC?

Oh come on, they had to have known about the issue. There's no way they shipped not knowing cellular data didn't work at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

Oh come on, they had to have known about the issue. There's no way they shipped not knowing cellular data didn't work at all.

Do you not remember the LG G2x?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Good news: Huawei is fixing the poor mic sensitivity for "ok google" with their OTA update this week.

Bad news: Huawei can't fix the god-awful charger with an OTA update and I will continue to accidentally not charge. Luckily it still usually lasts two full days.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Good news: Huawei is fixing the poor mic sensitivity for "ok google" with their OTA update this week.

Bad news: Huawei can't fix the god-awful charger with an OTA update and I will continue to accidentally not charge. Luckily it still usually lasts two full days.

install Slumber.

It blacks out the screen when charging. Makes it obvious when you are charging and helps prevent burn in

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The screen already turns off while charging. It's just a bitch to get the pins aligned and even when done right it takes a few seconds for the charging icon to appear.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
I haven't had any problems getting it to charge outside of the first few days with the huwatch when it first was available. I don't know if it is just me but I find that the pins naturally go in place if you let the magnet guide you. Granted they could have done this better, but I don't feel like the current charger is that hard to operate.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Q Founder is now on sale, only the stainless steel for $295 and still no indication of display type.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The Q Founder is now on sale, only the stainless steel for $295 and still no indication of display type.

Given the ~FLAT TIRE~ on the bottom, it has to be LCD. Probably sourced the same panel from Moto's supplier.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The thing is probably made by motorola.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Given the ~FLAT TIRE~ on the bottom, it has to be LCD. Probably sourced the same panel from Moto's supplier.

I can think of no reason why an OLED couldn't be made with a flat tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Broke down and bought the Huawei watch from Best Buy with the mesh band for $299 (it's $100 off). Helped me burn through that Visa Checkout promo and AmEx offer. Not sure about the aesthetics of the mesh band, but the reviews are positive and it was the same price as the leather option, so I figured it's worth a shot.