Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Monoprice is amazing if you're ordering enough to justify the shipping. Their stuff is high quality and never screwed me over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Not specifically about Micro-USB, but if you've got a phone with a type-C port, you should crosscheck any cable with this Google engineer's reviews. A lot of manufacturers are using cheap resistors that can't handle the increased voltage the standard allows.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pivo posted:

Monoprice is amazing if you're ordering enough to justify the shipping. Their stuff is high quality and never screwed me over.

You haven't ordered their 15 footers then. Absolute junk, the end goes to poo poo in no time. When I bought a N4 second hand though it came with a 6' that I assume was the "premium" variation and I thought it was the OEM it was so good

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

15 feet!? The hell are you trying to do, charge it on the moon?

That sucks, though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I very..intensely loathe being tethered to the wall, especially by a short cord. My first smartphone was the Galaxy S, followed by the S3, before a brief trial with windows phone, and then the N4 and back to the S5 to get my beloved replaceable batteries back as I had before. Of course Samsung is complete garbage and I'm sick of this jumbo loving screen trend and managed to finally track down a Z3c, the best decision I made since I picked the original S over the blackberry I was leaning towards because I wasn't sold on touch screens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would think they use the same ends regardless of cable length.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Dark One posted:

Not specifically about Micro-USB, but if you've got a phone with a type-C port, you should crosscheck any cable with this Google engineer's reviews. A lot of manufacturers are using cheap resistors that can't handle the increased voltage the standard allows.

Yeah. The ones I linked are strictly Amazon's own-brand cables.

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
For anyone in Qubec, Koodo and Fido (maybe virgin but didn't see it) is offering :

1gb data
unlimited call canada-wide
unlimited international text messages sent and received within canada

for 34$ (~ 39,50$ with taxes and 911 fee)

the Koodo deal ends today(fido too probably).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Monsieur N posted:

For anyone in Qubec, Koodo and Fido (maybe virgin but didn't see it) is offering :

1gb data

Wow that would be perfect for my parents. Unfortunately we're out in BC.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Very disappointed with Bell so far. Nothing but problems. People complain about Rogers the same way but other than price everything just worked.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bell is the most evil telecom company, and their network is bad too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bell may be the most evil but I always find Telus' marketing extremely disingenuous.

"We care about you/the community/polar bears" etc when you know none of those things are true.

At least rogers markets directly to gadget obsessed fuckheads who are all about getting better devices/plans than the next loser.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

priznat posted:

gadget obsessed fuckheads who are all about getting better devices/plans than the next loser.

I still have good gadgets at least. :(

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Telus tried to upsell my dad to Optik TV by showing up on his doorstep with a free TV! (Which was too big to fit in his tiny TV cabinet from the 90s and therefore unacceptable at any price.) It's only $10 more a month!*

*for the first 6 months of a 24 month term

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Reverse Centaur posted:

I still have good gadgets at least. :(

Hey now sorry about that I meant the douches on their ads. Like the guy and his sad sack buddy and the broswarm.

I'm on Fido which has gone from adorable dogs to filthy hipsters on their marketing which is even worse!! /Hyperbole

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Mobilicity seems to be dead in Vancouver. Been a few hours apparently.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

Mobilicity seems to be dead in Vancouver. Been a few hours apparently.

I sent them an email and this is what I got back:

"[s posted:

Mobilicity[/s] Rogers Rep"]
Hello,

You may or may not be aware that Mobilicity was recently acquired by Rogers. As such we will be migrating all our customers to the Rogers network, which we believe will improve our customer's overall mobile service experience.

We switched to the Rogers network last night. Please go to network setting, mobile operators and select automatic. Your phone will scan for networks and select CDN roaming.

Thanks

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

One thing Bell does a lot better than Rogers for me is internet speed. Just got 134Mbps down/30 up and I work in the suburbs. Rogers was 50 down.

And a lot of issues I was having were solved by trying a new sim card.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I renewed my contract at Best Buy for a hardware upgrade last month because they were running a special on the LG G4 where I would get the upfront cost of the phone waived ($250 on my current plan). Whelp, they forgot to include that note on my account and guess what an extra $280 showed up on my bill this month.

Good work, guys. I'd expect this from Rogers, not you.

That said I went and complained and they gave me the difference + tax in cash so that was cool.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You'll find that comparative analysis of Rogers and Bell's evilness leads to a neverending black hole you probably shouldn't have stepped into.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zigmidge posted:

You'll find that comparative analysis of Rogers and Bell's evilness leads to a neverending black hole you probably shouldn't have stepped into.

I can't even get Wind in my condo so cheaper options are not available. :(

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

McGavin posted:

I sent them an email and this is what I got back:

I now have signal in the skytrain tunnel headed to waterfront. No data in there though. I seem to have signal in more places as well.

Wonder how much it'll all cost me in January.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!
I dropped Bell for Wind not twelve hours ago and already I'm starting see why it's so cheap. No/poor signal in my house :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I was always impressed with Wind out in the Niagara area but its a ton of flat land and they had upgraded everything. Whenever I went to any city or inside a big store it went to complete poo poo. I swapped over to Kodoo awhile ago with that SK plan trick, the difference is night and day. I can use my phone pretty much anywhere and I'm only paying like $7 more a month.

Wind was great for saving money for awhile but their signal/band is just garbage in any city.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I generally find Wind's signal fine in Ottawa but for one place downtown where everyone dies because a new building blocks the towers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
We have Wind in London now (it was okayish in KW) and I'm at the end of my rope, it's just not great at all. I think I'm gonna try to get on that Koodo SK plan.

A real plus to Wind is if you travel to the US a lot, as it's only $15 for unlimited roaming there.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My buddy tried to get the SKMB plan in a Best Buy in TO recently and they just laughed him out.

YMMV.

poo poo, you might save money overall by flying to Winnipeg for a weekend and getting it there. But don't go to Regina, it's a craphole.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I tried Wind for a month in New Westminster to see if I could switch off Rogers, and it was probably the worst cell signal/network I've used in the world. It's great they are cheap and trying to make a dent in the Big 3, but if I don't get signal at home, at the grocery store, at the gym, literally anywhere I go, it's useless.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pivo posted:

My buddy tried to get the SKMB plan in a Best Buy in TO recently and they just laughed him out.

YMMV.

poo poo, you might save money overall by flying to Winnipeg for a weekend and getting it there. But don't go to Regina, it's a craphole.

If you look around online, it's recommended to just sign up for a cheap ON plan now, and swap online. It's just easier / quicker if you can get it in person.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Wind pricing and US roaming plans are loving amazing but the service in Vancouver is so loving terrible it's nigh unusable. No signal in malls, no signal in arenas, poo poo signal one office in from the exterior of the building where I work. Plus, I've been on roaming for the last 24 hours despite being in the middle of Vancouver because of some mystery technical issue that was never reported as an outage on their support page.

Does the Bell SK thing still work? I think it's time to change networks.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm switching to 7-11 speakout because of my profoundly low call and text volume.

Is there there a good, cheap voip-type service that this thread recommends for use with an Andriod 4.1 phone that will work as a normal call-me-at-this-number service, and not an app-to-app type deal, that can also give me a Toronto number for when I do want to make long calls?

I presume that what I want is Skype, but you all might know of something that works better.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I use voip.ms for this, and ported my old 289 number to it. There's an app to get SMS working as well. Originally I used the built-in SIP client, but since switched to CSIPSimple because the built-in would keep losing registration but not tell me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

I now have signal in the skytrain tunnel headed to waterfront. No data in there though. I seem to have signal in more places as well.

Wonder how much it'll all cost me in January.

My data went from 4G to 3G, but coverage increased by a ton. I don't know if this is good or bad yet.

I wonder if they'll actually charge me for roaming when I take my phone to Victoria, considering that all Mobilicity customers are on Roger's Canadian Roaming network by default.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Monsieur N posted:

1gb data

For anyone still interested, Fido, Koodo, and Virgin still have these plans available in Quebec.

I'm going down to change my plan tonight. I'm currently on the BYOP 750 plan, so that'll be a nice upgrade with less cost

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Quick update on this:

Fido and Koodo, and Virgin are offering an extra 1gb on some specialty plans, including the $34/m plans listed above

So unlimited talk, text, and 2gb data for $34/m

Get in on this today because holy poo poo

Migishu fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 27, 2015

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
I came here to post the exact same thing :highfive:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Was looking to switch plans here in BC to the much less attractive but still better 2+1gb for $57. Looks like there's some bullshit hoops to jump through. Koodo will only give the upgrade if you're a new customer or buying a new phone. I don't need a new phone (just bought my 6s last month), so I can get the same price/data from Fido or Virgin but not from Koodo.

Going to swing by the mall and see if they can push it through at the retail store, the guy on their customer service line said he couldn't. Seems ridiculous to not offer the same package to retain my business.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Yea, that's kinda ridiculous. I'm with Virgin and was able to switch to the $49 unlimited with 1 + 1 GB bonus even though on their site they also say it's for new activations and upgrades only. But given I'm BYOP month to month and I wanted to give them an extra $4/month, I'd have been shocked if they'd said no.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
This is the craziest drat thing I've ever seen. I'm month to month BYOP and my month expires in four days. I'm trying to stay with Koodo but both on the phone and in the store they said "sorry, can't help". Trying a supervisor if I can get through to one before I grab lunch and go switch to Virgin from Koodo.

I've never had to work so hard in my life to get a company to retain my business.

Edit: 17 minutes waiting for a callback so I could get transferred to another department with a 10 minute average wait time.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Good luck, though it's not the end of the world if you have to switch. I'm in BC too and I get coverage everywhere I think I should have coverage, with Virgin.

Except for Port Renfrew.