Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Shaocaholica posted:

Isn't this kind of extremism its own enemy? The more the world sees this ugly face the less support they get until they vanish? Its not sustainable from a recruitment perspective is it? Sure you get the early adopters but after a few decades people will catch on that these groups aren't really going to deliver on their goals.

A lot of their local recruitment is BASED on having this ugly face to entice Western Nations to come and bomb towns/overthrow some governments. If there was a guarantee that the West will send 100,000 ground troops if they do another attack, ISIS would stop everything else they're doing in order to entice it. More local collateral damage = more recruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

We're hosed then because we've been 'fighting the drug war' by removing a cartel leader/boss/lieutenant and patting ourselves on the back while an even more brutal person takes their place for decades now and the only result is drugs are easier to get, stronger, and cheaper then ever before.

Accelerated professional Darwinism. We're making the cartels faster, stronger, and aware of one more thing they shouldn't do every time we take a boss down.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

And good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rad Russian posted:

A lot of their local recruitment is BASED on having this ugly face to entice Western Nations to come and bomb towns/overthrow some governments. If there was a guarantee that the West will send 100,000 ground troops if they do another attack, ISIS would stop everything else they're doing in order to entice it. More local collateral damage = more recruits.

Yeah the cleverness of the ISIS scheme is a creates a negative control loop. Their attacks hopefully encourage a military reaction from the west, which allows them to whine even more about evil crusaders killing muslims.

CuckEverlasting
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot
gently caress my governor

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
D&D's response today is "restructure the French economy" and "Kill All Men".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

etalian posted:

Yeah the cleverness of the ISIS scheme is a creates a negative control loop. Their attacks hopefully encourage a military reaction from the west, which allows them to whine even more about evil crusaders killing muslims.

If this negative feedback loop has a net negative effect on Abrahamic Religions in the way of apostasy amongst their broader base then I count that as a plus.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

D&D's response today is "restructure the French economy" and "Kill All Men".

where's vilerat when you need him

oh right

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shaocaholica posted:

Isn't this kind of extremism its own enemy? The more the world sees this ugly face the less support they get until they vanish? Its not sustainable from a recruitment perspective is it? Sure you get the early adopters but after a few decades people will catch on that these groups aren't really going to deliver on their goals.

Recruitment isn't really their long term aim. They aren't about seducing people into wanting a brutal theocracy but about imposing one by force. Saudi Arabia and Brunei exist so it's naive to believe that people won't tolerate Islamic extremism. The West doesn't even give much of a poo poo as long as you're not expansionist in a way which directly affects their interests.

The Middle East is going to be a clusterfuck for the remainder of my life and probably the lives of my children and grandchildren as well.

Shaocaholica posted:

Hopefully this shooting is a turning point for the world to realize these people don't take hostages.

The media referring to the people in the theatre as "hostages" was jarring even as it was unfolding. They were never going to intentionally let anyone go. Their sole purpose was to kill as many people as possible before killing/being killed themselves.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 17, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

poopzilla posted:

where's vilerat when you need him

oh right

:iceburn:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

etalian posted:

Well this all goes back to the fact that ISIS would not exist if Iraq and Syrian governments were left untouched by the West. They would have been rounded up and executed unceremoniously within the first few weeks of their uprising by both governments' forces and no one in the West would even know they existed.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

At the very least we could have armed the Kurds and declared support for a new Kurd state.

lmao at anyone who seriously entertains the notion of a kurdish state

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't think so because it just creates as much extremism in Western circles, which just creates more extremism in eastern circles on and on forever.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Rad Russian posted:

Well this all goes back to the fact that ISIS would not exist if Iraq and Syrian governments were left untouched by the West. They would have been rounded up and executed unceremoniously within the first few weeks of their uprising by both governments' forces and no one in the West would even know they existed.

Given the influence of Saddam loyalists within the IS, the only difference is that they'd be doing this poo poo in Saddam's name (much as they were before) rather than in the name of the IS.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

praying ain't do poo poo

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Can someone explain why everyone in the region hates the poo poo out of the Kurds but we tolerate and sometimes defend them?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

mistakes into miracles....

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

we did kinda own the kurds in 91

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

undimmed by anime tears

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.
meanwhile in england https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73AT9fbHRcA

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

If this negative feedback loop has a net negative effect on Abrahamic Religions in the way of apostasy amongst their broader base then I count that as a plus.

The other important thing is even though all the anti ISIS groups have enough military power on paper they are only interested in fighting defensively or in the case of the Kurds get blocked by the West for geopolitical reasons aka don't piss off turkey.

You also have other foreign powers like Saudi Arabia and UAE directly funding ISIS as a clever way to stir the pot/cause Shia megadeath.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

round up all the weeaboos and let isis do whatever they want to them

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

that movie freakin owns!!

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

we need to leverage the two greatest evils on earth again each other. Anime and religious fanatics

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furious Mittens posted:

There was a pretty thorough write up of this over in one of the D&D threads, but it ended up turning into a shitshow of epic proportions.

From what I can remember, the particular strand of Islamic ideology that ISIS seems to be going for is rooted on old writings and teachings that boils down to "Rome" invading Syria and there being a giant showdown where they (ISIS) come out on top. I don't know if it's so much "end of the world" as it is the west is destroyed and the "righteous ones" end up ruling the world.

E: Or just read the Atlantic article posted above

Just tell me it's similar to which video game plot so I don't have to read more black and white text.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lord Binky posted:

that movie freakin owns!!

i like how it throws san diego in there at the end like did they run out of cities i think nyc and dc pretty much say it all about america

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

poopzilla posted:

round up all the weeaboos and let isis do whatever they want to them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao predictably GOP governors announced they don't want any Syria civil war refugees in their states.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

etalian posted:

lmao predictably GOP governors announced they don't want any Syria civil war refugees in their states.

And a democrat. Maybe this isn't what you want so desperately for it to be?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

poopzilla posted:

we need to leverage the two greatest evils on earth again each other. Anime and religious fanatics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5q_5VRaXcQ

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Noooo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:dogbutton:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alternative pants posted:

And a democrat. Maybe this isn't what you want so desperately for it to be?

well american ISIS terrorists will have to work extra hard to catch up with the school shooting done by weird white nerd bodycount.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lolie posted:

Very long Atlantic article covers most of it. The sources are IS's own propaganda along with the fact that they're faithfully adhering to the practices of ancient Islam.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Note that the prophecy foretells vast numbers of the caliphate's (IS believes they are the caliphate) army being killed and Jesus returning Earth to lead the remaining Muslims to victory. That is why they want not just a fight on their turf but one in which many of them will be killed.

So like, a death cult ran by angry bearded virgins who aren't content to merely drink kool-aid?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

yessss

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

hail satan

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Marxalot posted:

So like, a death cult ran by angry bearded virgins who aren't content to merely drink kool-aid?

This is what happens when religions prohibit suicide.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Why couldn't they have destroyed Comic-con?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

etalian posted:

The other important thing is even though all the anti ISIS groups have enough military power on paper they are only interested in fighting defensively or in the case of the Kurds get blocked by the West for geopolitical reasons aka don't piss off turkey.

You also have other foreign powers like Saudi Arabia and UAE directly funding ISIS as a clever way to stir the pot/cause Shia megadeath.

Hezbollah is my preferred anti-ISIS faction.

• Locked thread