Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
There is only one, who can lead us to the light:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

You're thinking of Stefan Postma

lmao

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

You're thinking of Stefan Postma

I don't know who that is but lol upon finding out

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Not what I expected

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Nepal's FA president banned for 10 years

quote:

Ganesh Thapa, an influential figure in Asian football, has been banned for 10 years by Fifa for bribery.

Nepal Football Association president and ex-Asian football vice-president Thapa, 55, was found guilty of "various acts of misconduct over several years".

He is also under investigation by Nepalese authorities for allegedly embezzling millions of pounds of football development money.

Qatar's migrant workers say they are paid to fill stadiums before World Cup

quote:

“We are here for the money,” said Kumar, an Indian builder who had been bussed in from a labour camp. “They pay 30 riyals (£5) per match. They teach us the clapping actions and some songs. They think with the World Cup people will worry that there will be nobody to watch the matches so that is why they do this.”

Michael, a security guard from Kenya, said: “They are looking for bodies because there is no one to come. The Qataris are not interested. Most are busy and they prefer to watch at home. We earn a minimum amount [in our day jobs] so if you get 30 extra riyals you can feed yourself better.”

A spokesperson for the Qatar Stars League (QSL), which organises the matches, said it did not pay agents or fans to attend games.

Qatar set to open ‘slavery museum’

quote:

In 1952, Qatar abolished slavery, and the newly-freed slaves were integrated into society.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wouldn't it be great to get paid to watch football

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kumar posted:

They teach us the clapping actions and some songs.

sounds as legit as MLS

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Wouldn't it be great to get paid to watch football
£5 to die of heatstroke in the middle of the desert. Seems fair.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'd pay £5 to not have to sit in a Qatari stadium and watch the star league, tbh.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Will tickets to the Qatar world cup be the cheapest ever?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Pook Good Mook posted:

Will tickets to the Qatar world cup be the cheapest ever?

On record they will be the most expensive ever.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Are they really going to interrupt the club schedule and all that poo poo to hold the world cup in December? Like....I just dont understand the logistics.

Do it anywhere in Europe or America. The US or UK could take it no problem.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Waroduce posted:

The US or UK could take it no problem.

Before anyone responds to this in particular, I encourage everyone to read the OP again.

On you actual comment, I don't think any league has given any indication about whether they will let their players go or not during this. Many leagues have a winter break, but not long enough for a whole cup.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Are they really going to interrupt the club schedule and all that poo poo to hold the world cup in December? Like....I just dont understand the logistics.

Do it anywhere in Europe or America. The US or UK could take it no problem.

I don't think anyone in FIFA is blind to the fact that there are various other countries around the world who are better equipped to handle a World Cup, but I also don't think they care. As long as they're making money, they'll do whatever they want with the competitions they oversee, and no amount of outcry from fans is going to change that. Player outcry maybe, but I doubt any players worth a drat would speak up against FIFA anyway.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I don't think anyone in FIFA is blind to the fact that there are various other countries around the world who are better equipped to handle a World Cup, but I also don't think they care. As long as they're making money, they'll do whatever they want with the competitions they oversee, and no amount of outcry from fans is going to change that. Player outcry maybe, but I doubt any players worth a drat would speak up against FIFA anyway.

I disagree because I expect to see a lot more dirty laundry being aired out regarding Qatar in the next couple months. The first thing the next FIFA president (assuming it's not Blatter again) is going to do is distance himself from the previous regime and call for a re-vote for the 2022 World Cup. I don't doubt there will still be shady deals made for large cash payments when the dust settles, but it'll be done with more discretion. Everything about the Qatar vote screams corruption and it's amazing it took so long for anything to happen to FIFA.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I have a vision... a vision of seven years hence where everyone in FIFA has been arrested yet Qatar insists on holding their World Cup, broadcasting slave labourers cheering empty stadiums on live TV.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Shoren posted:

I disagree because I expect to see a lot more dirty laundry being aired out regarding Qatar in the next couple months. The first thing the next FIFA president (assuming it's not Blatter again) is going to do is distance himself from the previous regime and call for a re-vote for the 2022 World Cup. I don't doubt there will still be shady deals made for large cash payments when the dust settles, but it'll be done with more discretion. Everything about the Qatar vote screams corruption and it's amazing it took so long for anything to happen to FIFA.

I guess I'm just pessimistic, but it's hard for me to expect a change in President will somehow overhaul an organization that has been corrupt probably longer than I've been alive.

That said, the one thing that could really get FIFA to switch things up would be if a ton of major advertisers start pulling the plug, and I can definitely see that happening should things continue to get worse and worse (which I suspect it will).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I guess I'm just pessimistic, but it's hard for me to expect a change in President will somehow overhaul an organization that has been corrupt probably longer than I've been alive.

That said, the one thing that could really get FIFA to switch things up would be if a ton of major advertisers start pulling the plug, and I can definitely see that happening should things continue to get worse and worse (which I suspect it will).

They'll declare a re-vote on 2022 and then award it to Qatar a second time. Everyone will cheer and declare corruption over, and that Qatar 2022 will be the best World Cup ever. Thousands will die building the stadiums. No one will attend. The new FIFA bosses will be just as rich and corrupt as the old FIFA bosses. No one will give a poo poo.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
IS vs France in the 2022 wc will be awkward

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Shoren posted:

...what more possibly needs to be revealed on this? It was a fix by the French government...Blatter of all people said this clearly in the FT.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You know what is kind of awkward? FIFA likes to promote this image of the World Cup being the largest party in the world. You have the big fan zones, an the open festival atmosphere, crowds of people everywhere watching soccer, even if they are not in the stadiums. How in the hell are they going to accomplish this in Qatar?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Simplex posted:

You know what is kind of awkward? FIFA likes to promote this image of the World Cup being the largest party in the world. You have the big fan zones, an the open festival atmosphere, crowds of people everywhere watching soccer, even if they are not in the stadiums. How in the hell are they going to accomplish this in Qatar?

I think they still stone people to death?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Simplex posted:

"Well who cares really? It's a long time till 2022 and in the meantime we can spend our bribe money on blackjack and hookers." :shrug:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Simplex posted:

They'll do all the same stuff but in Qatar tbh.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
During the world cup period FIFA basically becomes an extra-judicial entity; remember they had their own law courts etc in South Africa. So Qatari laws will be ignored/exempted as FIFA see fit and anyone protesting or causing trouble will get thrown in jail as usual.

FIFA will do everything they can to ensure that the Qatar World Cup looks as normal as possible

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am looking forward to drinking beer outside in 50C, getting heat stroke before being blown up by ISIS.

gonna be a blast guys!!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

I am looking forward to drinking beer outside in 50C, getting heat stroke before being blown up by ISIS.

gonna be a blast guys!!

I don't think you'll get to drink beer

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Even outside of cultural and climate issues. Qatar itself is a tiny country, smaller than many of the cities that would have hosted games for pretty much any other host nation.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Its almost as if it were a bad decision to award to Qatar

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JFairfax posted:

gonna be a blast guys!!

It doesn't get that hot in Paris

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was talking about the world cup, not the euros!!!!

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Everyone will gather in air conditioned mega malls...the sponsors will love it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Tigey posted:

Its almost as if it were a bad decision to award to Qatar

Say it ain't so!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Simplex posted:

FIFA literally made Brazil suspend their law forbidding alcohol consumption in football stadiums so I'm sure they'll work something out.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Non Muslims can drink in Qatar btw.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

they'll definitely want to

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Who built it?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

Yes but only in shite hotel bars, or if your employer ponies up for a liquor license so you can call up the single shop that sells alcohol and get your overpriced carton of wine delivered to your doorstep in black plastic bags.

It won't be 50c, more like 35 max, and the humidity can be really decent during 'wintertime', but it won't matter squat since Doha is an exceptionally boring place. I've said it before but they would have made a better choice if they'd gotten Iran to host it :xd:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I thought Doha was in Kuwait? I spent some time there when i was deployed, theres nothing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I thought Doha was in Kuwait? I spent some time there when i was deployed, theres nothing there.

that's Camp Doha, the city of Doha is in Qatar