Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Yellowhead Brewery in Edmonton is pretty OK, but I might be biased because I had my wedding there. I agree with the Wild Rose sentiment though, I think I had one of their beers that was just alright. And Big Rock is just so mediocre it's offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

But if you think it's the worst, you obviously have not tried Wild Rose -- none of their beers even reach the "okay" level, and several of their beers were so offensive to my tastebuds that I could not actually finish drinking them -- that's a very rare thing for me.

I don't even think we have that in BC, thank goodness.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Sedge and Bee posted:

It's really dumb because it feeds right into the narrative that ISIS act like random mad dogs, rather than having a very targeted media strategy in their symbolics choices on what to attack. Like anybody is going to give a poo poo if Saskatoon, or Regina, gets hit. The global community would have to be aware Saskatchewan even exists for them to be a target.

We'd at least get a hilarious supercut of foreign newscasters and voxpop trying to pronounce Saskatchewan.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Saskat... Sasket... Saskot... Canada."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Muskoka Cream Ale is a nice inoffensive beer.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

China builds products that we use, and they quite logically point out that we're asking them to take on far stricter regulations than the ones we were subject to when we industrialized.

That's completely illogical. The planet and scientists don't care about what is fair. They've told us that these are the PPMs now, this is the rate that the PPMs are going up and if they get to this amount by this date, we're pretty hosed. I don't get how someone who claims to believe the science can make that argument. You think maybe that China doesn't believe the science and we just have to diplomatically strong arm them into helping save the planet?

Helsing posted:

If we were actually willing to make some sacrifices ourselves we could probably extract greater concessions from China by threatening to reduce trade with them. It would take adjustments in our own lifestyles but in the past society has endured similar adjustments when facing challenges of a similar scale.

Oh maybe you do. I guess that's nice in theory. In practice, Ontario has crippled its manufacturing sector and tripled electricity prices to lower our already pretty low emissions and our premier is over in China right now begging for trade deals. If China doesn't believe the science, I'm again tempted to think it's inevitable.

quote:

One can only speculate about what the world would look like now if the powers that be in the industrialized world had as much dedication to fighting global warming as they showed toward lowering barriers to trade or safeguarding foreign investors from local governments, or to defeating and undermining hostile ideologies like communism and fascism.

Maybe if China wasn't communist, the people would read the uncensored science, think about all their future families and would elect a government that would take action on climate change like most of the rest of the civilized world has? If only we'd fought harder against the communism.

Jordan7hm posted:

Muskoka Cream Ale is a nice inoffensive beer.

The blue one is very plain but their cream ale and Mad Tom are fine beers. I don't even understand how high maintenance of a snobby beer drinker you'd have to be to turn your nose up at those.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

What? Brewing lovely beer that taste like urine, yet inexplicably having a huge market composed of morons with more money than taste?

I'm bitter about that, but for rather a different reason.

Mill Street makes pretty good beers and really market their Beer Nerd thing well, their Samplers are always my favorite part of the new season!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lassitude posted:

So a craft brewer active in three provinces at least is ending all its operations in those provinces because of a tax change in one of them? What kind of garbage were they selling?

overpriced but decent tasting beer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Muskoka is (was?) beer you looked at before you picked something better, it serves/ed a minor yet important role at the liquor store :colbert:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think the only time I've seen Muskoka beer served was when I'm in the Muskoka region, and I assumed it was as a gimmick. I didn't realize it was sold elsewhere in Canada.

Ikantski posted:

That's completely illogical. The planet and scientists don't care about what is fair. They've told us that these are the PPMs now, this is the rate that the PPMs are going up and if they get to this amount by this date, we're pretty hosed. I don't get how someone who claims to believe the science can make that argument. You think maybe that China doesn't believe the science and we just have to diplomatically strong arm them into helping save the planet?

Oh maybe you do. I guess that's nice in theory. In practice, Ontario has crippled its manufacturing sector and tripled electricity prices to lower our already pretty low emissions and our premier is over in China right now begging for trade deals. If China doesn't believe the science, I'm again tempted to think it's inevitable.

Well obviously as an individual you should probably act as though it's inevitable and take whatever steps may be necessary to prepare yourself for it. I don't think that means we should stop trying to find political solutions. And going back to my original argument, Canada is about as well positioned as anyone (outside of China, the USA, the EU and maybe Japan) to take a big role in preparing for global warming and trying to reduce it's impact.

quote:

Maybe if China wasn't communist, the people would read the uncensored science, think about all their future families and would elect a government that would take action on climate change like most of the rest of the civilized world has? If only we'd fought harder against the communism.

If only we made free trade agreements conditional on democratic reforms. Too bad our leaders were more interested in breaking the back of the labour movement rather than thinking about our long term national (or species) interests.

Our leaders found a fine way to fight Stalinist regimes after World War II, it was called the Marshal Plan and it helped make Europe one of the most stable, prosperous and free regions of the globe, as well as an enduring ally to North America. There was discussion of providing similar levels of aid to South America, Africa and Asia but instead we decided to rely on local strongmen, backed up with invasions and coups as necessary. It's really no wonder the Chinese government aren't willing to sacrifice their economic growth: the developed world is merciless toward any country that isn't strong enough to stand up for itself, and the Chinese know better than most what that entails.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 17, 2015

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mill St Organic is simply OK but Lug Tread makes it utterly irrelevant. Both pale in comparison to anything Unibrou, which makes me sad for my province (though I have a soft spot for Beau's products).

Mad Tom is alright but I never got on the hipster bandwagon of over-hopping everything.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Naming a beer "organic" was an amazing cynical act of marketing that obviously paid off.

Beau's is poo poo and so is Mill St. Nothing good from them. Unibroue is okay, but it can't compare to the beer from Ayinger in Bavaria. Blanche de Chambly is my cheap alternative.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Naming a beer "organic" was an amazing cynical act of marketing that obviously paid off.

Beau's is poo poo and so is Mill St. Nothing good from them. Unibroue is okay, but it can't compare to the beer from Ayinger in Bavaria. Blanche de Chambly is my cheap alternative.

All I buy is German and Belgian stuff, if I'm honest. And Unibrou when it's around. At a bar, I'll pick up Beaus since its p good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you like a bunch of Unibroue's stuff, try to find Dieu du Ciel! Derniere Volonte. It's a Belgian style strong ale that's, really, probably better than actual Belgian Trappist ales (or at least on par with them). Being on a level with Chimay White Label is no easy feat.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

Yeah, to be honest I haven't seen them much anywhere in Canada outside Calgary. Nothing in Montreal that I can remember. When I lived out there, I'd practically eat them every day whenever I was visiting Calgary (sort of like I eat from Boustan and drink at DDC every day when I'm visiting Montreal now).

In Chinatown, René-Lévesque and Saint Laurent, look for Cao Thang, they have a South Vietnamese flag in the window. They've been making Banh Mi cheaply aeons before they became trendy and the owner is a really chill dude who will shoot the poo poo with you when you drop in near closing and buy his last sandwich and a steam bun.

In the craft beer front, I highly recommend Farnham Ale and Lager, they're a newer Brewer operating near where my grandparents live and their English Bitter 35 is pretty great (Their gimmick is having each product's IBU value as part of the product name for ease of choice).

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

PT6A posted:

If you like a bunch of Unibroue's stuff, try to find Dieu du Ciel! Derniere Volonte. It's a Belgian style strong ale that's, really, probably better than actual Belgian Trappist ales (or at least on par with them). Being on a level with Chimay White Label is no easy feat.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've had some random bottles of Dieu du Ciel from my last trip to Quebec City and liked most of them. Should have taken some pictures or notes.

Also, why is organic beer a cynical marketing tactic? Are pesticides not used on hops and barley normally?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

cowofwar posted:

Beau's is poo poo

So you and me have to fight now

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nine of Eight posted:

In Chinatown, René-Lévesque and Saint Laurent, look for Cao Thang, they have a South Vietnamese flag in the window. They've been making Banh Mi cheaply aeons before they became trendy and the owner is a really chill dude who will shoot the poo poo with you when you drop in near closing and buy his last sandwich and a steam bun.

....this would've been so useful five years ago. Oh well, I'll have to remember to drop in when I'm in Montreal next June.

I ended up having a banh mi for lunch today. It was very good; would eat again.

I was about to say that Canada doesn't have a signature sandwich, but we do -- it's probably the Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich (or the Reuben made from the same). Fun story: I had a reuben here in Calgary and the heathen bastards had apparently rinsed the saurkraut off because people had been complaining about the "strong flavour." One of many reasons I'm convinced people here have a defective, childish palate.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Ikantski posted:

Climate scientist here. We're screwed but aren't sure what the tipping point is. Literally any bit of carbon that isn't in the atmosphere could be what keeps us from reaching the big feedbacks. You're right, scale matters, but any savings could be what keeps us from cataclysmic warming.

At least we can talk to the media about this stuff now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

If only we made free trade agreements conditional on democratic reforms. Too bad our leaders were more interested in breaking the back of the labour movement rather than thinking about our long term national (or species) interests.

Our leaders found a fine way to fight Stalinist regimes after World War II, it was called the Marshal Plan and it helped make Europe one of the most stable, prosperous and free regions of the globe, as well as an enduring ally to North America. There was discussion of providing similar levels of aid to South America, Africa and Asia but instead we decided to rely on local strongmen, backed up with invasions and coups as necessary. It's really no wonder the Chinese government aren't willing to sacrifice their economic growth: the developed world is merciless toward any country that isn't strong enough to stand up for itself, and the Chinese know better than most what that entails.

I think you guys are missing the point: China isn't responsible for the majority of C02 emissions up to now. The effects of carbon emissions today wont be felt for 20 or 30 years, and the effects we're feeling now originated from some time ago. China's already getting hit pretty hard by climate change -- it is a country, like much of South East Asia that will get hit disproportionately hard by climate change: flooding, desertification of agricultural land, and shifting temperate zone.

The contention has always been that the BRIC countries aren't willing to take on the same emission cutting burden as the countries historically responsible for most of the emissions. They're not willing to curtail their economies and allow the traditional industrialized nations to continue enjoy the economic supremacy they've enjoyed over the last 200 years because they got to industrialize first. Any long-term solution to climate change requires their cooperation since they're future leaders in carbon emissions, so it comes down to all countries to try to figure out a way to allow countries to industrialize in a sustainable way, or find some other path to economic abundance that we enjoy without industrialization, if such a thing is possible.

And most importantly, as people realize we aren't going to meet our C02 emission goals, the conversation is going to turn towards how to artificially keep the average global temperature below triggering any catastrophic positive feedback loops. Which means trying to hash out some kind of global deal on geo-engineering so that we don't have rogue countries or rogue capitalists trying to save themselves without understanding any unintended consequences of their science project.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

we should do a craft beer tour in Victoria, there are a ton of good beers here

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought Mill Street was a bit poo poo

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Dreylad posted:

Which means trying to hash out some kind of global deal on geo-engineering so that we don't have rogue countries or rogue capitalists trying to save themselves without understanding any unintended consequences of their science project.

China already seeds clouds on a regular basis so I wouldn't rule them out as trying to proceed forward without taking anybody else's opinion into account.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

JawKnee posted:

overpriced but decent tasting beer

If they can't absorb an Alberta tax increase then their margins were razor thin and there's no great loss in their pulling out of various provinces. Also, does the Alberta tax change make its taxes higher than Sask. and BC? I mean, was their entire business model basically the Uwe Boll scenario, where you continue to make poo poo products due to virtually nil taxes someplace?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

OSI bean dip posted:

China already seeds clouds on a regular basis so I wouldn't rule them out as trying to proceed forward without taking anybody else's opinion into account.

Hadn't heard about that. That's not good.

All I heard about was the deranged businessman who decided to try iron seeding in Canadian waters.

Also our government knew about it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lassitude posted:

If they can't absorb an Alberta tax increase then their margins were razor thin and there's no great loss in their pulling out of various provinces. Also, does the Alberta tax change make its taxes higher than Sask. and BC? I mean, was their entire business model basically the Uwe Boll scenario, where you continue to make poo poo products due to virtually nil taxes someplace?

I suspect they are avoiding BC because they will do no business here vs. the HUGE amount of drat decent local breweries in province

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Glad you all have the right opinion on Mad Tom, that stuff is one of my go-to beers. Hopefully this doesn't make them hike up the price or anything though, they already charge just a bit too much for it.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Geoid posted:

Climate scientist here. We're screwed but aren't sure what the tipping point is. Literally any bit of carbon that isn't in the atmosphere could be what keeps us from reaching the big feedbacks. You're right, scale matters, but any savings could be what keeps us from cataclysmic warming.

At least we can talk to the media about this stuff now.

So are my niece and nephew gonna be farming pineapples up in the Slave Lakes when they grow up, all the while keeping an eye out for the roaming gangs of Albertan sand pirates rolling in on their sailcars?

Realtalk: I've figured for a while that we're (humanity) are double hosed. I'm not sure how much of a difference scientists being able to talk about this freely will make now. Those with the ability to change things apparently don't want to and until they change, we're
gonna have to contend with preparing for when poo poo goes downhill for the last time :smith:

Beertalk: I just drink Sol. Because it's cheap and it's everywhere in Mexico. (also because Corona is the "hey I'm a big dumb tourist" beer) It's me, I'm the beer troglodyte.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
At least global warming couldn't possibly be as horrifying and destructive as the vicious positive feedback loop that spiraled into several pages of useless food and beer chat.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Liberals perform exactly as we all expected them to. We were right not to trust them!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I love me some Wootstout. Very dark and tasty. $26 a bottle means that I don't get to enjoy quite as much as I would like.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Oh weird I was completely under the impression this was already banned. After some searching around I guess there was a moratorium on oil and gas exploration, but not necessarily tanker traffic?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Alctel posted:

You seem like a person of fine taste. Victoria is full of good breweries. I particularly wish to visit Phillips at some point because I've very much enjoyed many of their creations (Double Dragon most especially).

In other news: let's all freak out about the least racist "racist incident" of all time:

@CBCNews: Liberal MP Linda Lapointe deletes photos of her 'unacceptable' Halloween costume https://t.co/F5KGZ7t3xo https://t.co/7zXZeVF0U7

Let's immediately ban anyone from dressing up as anything ever, to avoid anyone ever taking offense to anything.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mill Street didn't have a lot of competition in Ontario I think which is why it got away tasting like it does. Beau's is fine if overpriced, but honestly I think everyone would drink Quebec beer if they could.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Alctel posted:

Fat Tug IPA is literally the best beer I've had in a long time; cant get enough of it. Dont drink more than three pints in a night, though. Heed my warning.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dreylad posted:

I think everyone would drink Quebec beer if they could.

It's absolutely the best beer-brewing province. Nothing else comes close. DDC's creativity/insanity will always give them the edge in my book. Mind you, I had a rosemary honey beer in Spain that was close to the same level of deliciousness/insanity, but I'll still give DDC the edge because they do it over and over...

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

It's absolutely the best beer-brewing province. Nothing else comes close. DDC's creativity/insanity will always give them the edge in my book. Mind you, I had a rosemary honey beer in Spain that was close to the same level of deliciousness/insanity, but I'll still give DDC the edge because they do it over and over...

It's tough to compare West Coast styles with faux-Belgians but IMO BC is better now. Driftwood in particular is arguably the best brewery in Canada.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Philips Blue Buck is the perfect Omnibeer - you can literally give it to anyone and they will like it, even people who normally drink light beer piss

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've done the Belgian game for a while but I find it way too heavy. These days I lean more towards stuff like Red Racer, Czechvar, Baltika, Jever and Krombacher.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Food chat -> beer chat -> ???

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

jm20 posted:

I like to think that if we have time to discuss food and beer in this thread then Canadian politics are still nowhere close to as bad as other places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

jm20 posted:

we're about due for a derail on weed now

did CI get banned