Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

GreyPowerVan posted:

Can i pretty please change my CNs colors? I don't want to have yellow CNs still when I form GB.

I'm pretty sure those change colors with you as long as they are still a colonial nation when you form GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure those change colors with you as long as they are still a colonial nation when you form GB.

Can confirm Scottish vassal-formed New Scotland went from yellow to red when I pushed the "inherit Scotland and form GB" button.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Can confirm Scottish vassal-formed New Scotland went from yellow to red when I pushed the "inherit Scotland and form GB" button.

Maybe if you inherit a different country, but as scotland I formed GB and my 2 CNs were still yellow and stayed yellow. this is on ironman

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Maybe if you inherit a different country, but as scotland I formed GB and my 2 CNs were still yellow and stayed yellow. this is on ironman

I also didn't see a CN color change in my last colonial game. When I did a Burgundy -> Netherlands my light-burgundy colored colony in the Caribbean stayed that color when I turned orange.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Pellisworth posted:

Here's a post I did not too long ago on the basics of trade http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&pagenumber=215&perpage=40#post452083628

The game is complex as gently caress and changes significantly between patches--for the better, but that makes it hard to recommend a comprehensive tutorial that isn't out of date.

Much like in CK2, you're going to have a very different playing experience and need to familiarize yourself with different systems playing as a colonial nation vs. land power vs. HRE member, etc. Honestly the best advice I can give is to choose a couple of nations or mechanical focuses, ask about them in the thread and you'll get good advice. For example, do a colonial-focused run as Portugal. Castile/Spain is your forever buddy and so you can mostly ignore internal European politics and infighting and focus on learning the trade and colonial systems. Pick Exploration, Expansion, then Quantity etc.

Okay, I'll give it a shot as Portugal. I also learned the basics of CKII in the Iberian Peninsula (as Leon). I like how that area has a finger in Europe and the Middle East/Africa but you can largely ignore both if you choose to. Thanks for the tips on trade too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The fact that CN tag color doesn't update makes me very mad whenever I play Scotland or Burgundy or Hansa or whatever.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You stop paying attention to Anatolia for one decade and this happens.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It is so beautiful.... Other than the revolting byz eyesore but I'm sure Poland'll take care of that one soon enough... Right?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That just makes Prester John harder though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Sorced posted:

full annexation -> you become overlord
vassalization -> colonies become free
diploannexation -> you become overlord

You used to be able to make vassals vassalize more vassals but I think they changed that in a recent patch. But vassals can spawn new colonial nations if they colonize.

Hm. I declared war while their main colony was in an independence war, won, force vassalized them, got dragged into the independence war as defender, won, and now they're the colony of my vassal. I guess I accidentally did the right thing by attacking them while they were in an independence war?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 15, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Eej posted:

To be fair, if you haven't even dealt with the Mamluks by 1685 in a Prester John run you aren't trying hard enough

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah, it's not a Prester John run. I didn't even know Prester John was a thing until it was mentioned just now.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Tendronai posted:

You can strategically call someone to arms if you know that they're going to refuse to make them take the prestige hit and get the Dishonoured CB against them. If you're allied to Poland and want to break their PU or something then sure but it's not something that you should always be doing.

Sadly the dishonored call CB was removed but you can still make them lose prestige and free up a relation slot.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Yashichi posted:

Sadly the dishonored call CB was removed but you can still make them lose prestige and free up a relation slot.

Dishonored CB still happens if they decline a defensive call to arms doesn't it?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I hate Poland so much

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

As England, enforcing a union on my rival, France, gives me no power projection? Kind of odd, but it's not like I need the PP anymore.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

As England, enforcing a union on my rival, France, gives me no power projection? Kind of odd, but it's not like I need the PP anymore.

It kinda bugs me that grabbing provinces off a rival's colonial nation gives you no PP either.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Eej posted:

Depends. Poland's going to be more stretched out than an Ottomans holding the Levant and Egypt, and probably won't go after Ethiopia on their own. It certainly gives the player more leeway to build up.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I tried to do the Prester John achievement once. I thought I got real lucky when various European powers beat the snot out of the Ottomans.

Didn't feel so lucky when loving France annexed Constantinople and most of Anatolia.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yashichi posted:

Is it possible to game that in order to do something screwy like break a PU?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I read something about going Venice to byzantium in this thread ages ago and so decided to give it a whirl. I've got byz swallowed up but I've hosed up a bit and need to get three or four provinces across the bosphorus to recreate the Empire. Ottomans are still pretty beefy though so I've been snatching poo poo off them with cheesy wars and wooden walls. It's also pretty tough for me to keep up with the unrest now with the big stab hit and my Catholic home bases feeling unruly. Austria is in a PU with Hungary and keep declaring war so that will eventually need to be quashed but I'm still trying to stabilize.

Will the events I picked stick with me when I do switch to byz? I took some Council of ten poo poo early which gimped my Republican tradition for a bit more autonomy reduction with the hopes I would get to keep it. Only idea so far is plutocratic and I will probably take aristocratic then because I've never got to do that before. Religious should be good as well right? It's a pretty fun area in which to start. I can't wait to beat up the Pope.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

flashman posted:

I read something about going Venice to byzantium in this thread ages ago and so decided to give it a whirl. I've got byz swallowed up but I've hosed up a bit and need to get three or four provinces across the bosphorus to recreate the Empire. Ottomans are still pretty beefy though so I've been snatching poo poo off them with cheesy wars and wooden walls. It's also pretty tough for me to keep up with the unrest now with the big stab hit and my Catholic home bases feeling unruly. Austria is in a PU with Hungary and keep declaring war so that will eventually need to be quashed but I'm still trying to stabilize.

Will the events I picked stick with me when I do switch to byz? I took some Council of ten poo poo early which gimped my Republican tradition for a bit more autonomy reduction with the hopes I would get to keep it. Only idea so far is plutocratic and I will probably take aristocratic then because I've never got to do that before. Religious should be good as well right? It's a pretty fun area in which to start. I can't wait to beat up the Pope.

Yes, that's the purpose. You don't want to form byz until you get the second +RT event in.. 1520-1550? Something like that.

Although you stay a republic, so you wanted to take the +RT events, not the -RT events.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I thought it changed me to an empire, not having that rt is going to gently caress me.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

flashman posted:

I thought it changed me to an empire, not having that rt is going to gently caress me.

Yeah, the biggest selling point of the run is stacking up the insane Venice modifiers for RT and having godly 6/6/6 Grand Consuls 75% of the time so you kinda screwed yourself.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah, the biggest selling point of the run is stacking up the insane Venice modifiers for RT and having godly 6/6/6 Grand Consuls 75% of the time so you kinda screwed yourself.

But what do you do with all the monarch points?
Just boost provinces?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

OperaMouse posted:

Just boost provinces?

Get all your CoTs to 30 or 40 development.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

420 Gank Mid posted:

What's my next best option... Can I pick the rt minus option again and switch gov to something any way before making byz?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You should still be able to tank your RT enough to get Noble rebels and convert to a monarchy.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

flashman posted:

What's my next best option... Can I pick the rt minus option again and switch gov to something any way before making byz?

If you tank your RT enough, the problem solves itself.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

OperaMouse posted:

Just boost provinces?

Well even with a 6/6/6 if you're piling up points there's something you could be doing.

Admin: Expand faster
Diplo: Fight more wars at once and lower exhaustion, integrate vassals
Military: Roll for the best possible generals all the time and stay ahead of time technologically

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone have any experience with the Timurids? I can handle all the unrest just fine, but I can't seem to escape the debt spiral you start in.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Timurids? I can handle all the unrest just fine, but I can't seem to escape the debt spiral you start in.

Delete all your forts and beat up minors for money. You have a huge army but the autonomy penalty is rough on your income so you may have to downsize a bit as well. Try not to core anything yourself, build up some vassals and finish admin ideas ASAP so you can become Mughals and win the game. If you go up through the Caucasus you can reach Genoa for easy westernization.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The best Timmy tactic is to convert to Zoroastrianism.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

this guy gets it

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

What's the benefit in converting to Zoroastrianism?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

OneTwentySix posted:

What's the benefit in converting to Zoroastrianism?

You're a Zoroastrian state in the 15th century, that's what. See also: Jewthiopia.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Possible advisers +1 is hot garb tho. At least Zoroastrianism gets Trade Eff. +10%. Judaism is the worst.

Hidden bonus of being a weird religion: you pretty much always have access to a Deus Vult CB.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Funky Valentine posted:

This is funny, so everyone should do it. But if you don't convert to Zoroastrianism, you should definitely convert to Shia. That +10% morale owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

quadrophrenic posted:

Hidden bonus of being a weird religion: you pretty much always have access to a Deus Vult CB.

This is the only reason you play Ethiopia beyond farming cheevos.

• Locked thread