Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Breetai posted:

I'm just amused at the fact that this has happened twice in a row previously and is happening yet again, but nerds just gotta preorder/download on the day it drops and then complain that they're having a substandard experience again somehow.

It's why I don't even play games anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MGSV - you can't tell in the supply drop menu if a weapon is going to be on your back or your main, so you can't tell which one it's going to replace.

I called for a grenade launcher last night and despite rocket launchers being back weapons, grenade launchers replace your assault rifles.

Also I did Mission 20 last night and as far as I can tell there's no way to beat the man on fire. I dropped both water towers on him, blew up tanks near him, and even tried to force him off the cliff into the river below (after first trying to dive into the river myself and promptly dying) but nothing worked until the rain came. Don't bail me out when I've used all the tools you've given me, game.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Do you guys get really mad about the fact that things like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are categorized as RPGs too?

I sometimes get a little irritating if I am looking for stuff on steam. Because it tends to clog up the search, but other than that not really.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MysticalMachineGun posted:

MGSV - you can't tell in the supply drop menu if a weapon is going to be on your back or your main, so you can't tell which one it's going to replace.

I called for a grenade launcher last night and despite rocket launchers being back weapons, grenade launchers replace your assault rifles.

Also I did Mission 20 last night and as far as I can tell there's no way to beat the man on fire. I dropped both water towers on him, blew up tanks near him, and even tried to force him off the cliff into the river below (after first trying to dive into the river myself and promptly dying) but nothing worked until the rain came. Don't bail me out when I've used all the tools you've given me, game.

You're just meant to call a chopper and run as soon as you disable him with a water tower. If you try calling the helicopter while he's still up, he'll blast the hell out of it and destroy it.

You can also get an actual kill in one of the following two ways:
1. Shotgunning him into the little pool, or exploding him into it somehow.
2. Disabling him with water three times, shooting the little guy while he's down. On the third time your hits will actually land on the little guy... and then you can actually try to Fulton the Man on Fire. You don't actually get him in your base, but it does end the battle.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Nuebot posted:

:ironicat:

Anyway for something not related to fallout: Yokai Watch is a lot like Dragon Quest Monsters in that you feed the monsters and hope they join you after the fight. The downside is that the rates for monsters joining you even if you feed them their favorite food is abysmal, it can take ages for even low ranked things to finally join your party and half the side quests in the game are "catch X monster and bring it here" type things. The worst is when something finally joins you, and it wasn't the monster you've been hunting and feeding every fight.
Yeah, it's really irritating. I don't know why every single non-Pokemon monster collecting game makes the actual monster collecting so RNG dependent.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Do you guys get really mad about the fact that things like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are categorized as RPGs too?

Eh "JRPG" is good enough. They're not really RPGs in the same way as CRPGs are, IMO, but if you say JRPG everyone knows what that means so gently caress it. :shrug:

They're really two different genres with different appeal. You don't play Final Fantasy IV for the reasons you might play Baldur's Gate, but that's OK because they're not competing with each other.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bewilderment posted:

You're just meant to call a chopper and run as soon as you disable him with a water tower. If you try calling the helicopter while he's still up, he'll blast the hell out of it and destroy it.

You can also get an actual kill in one of the following two ways:
1. Shotgunning him into the little pool, or exploding him into it somehow.
2. Disabling him with water three times, shooting the little guy while he's down. On the third time your hits will actually land on the little guy... and then you can actually try to Fulton the Man on Fire. You don't actually get him in your base, but it does end the battle.

:doh: Of course, they kept saying to get to the chopper but in every other mission the chopper ends up miles away unless you take out the AA radar. Thanks!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Breetai posted:

I'm just amused at the fact that this has happened twice in a row previously and is happening yet again, but nerds just gotta preorder/download on the day it drops and then complain that they're having a substandard experience again somehow.

Every other industry ships products that work, why not demand the same of games? People sure have low expectations for their 60 bux around here.

(I don't buy games on launch day)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Lotta things get RPG attached to them now. But I'm gonna guess the answer is no, because generally the character is already made in those games and you're just controlling said character as they go through their adventures.

As opposed to something happening like booting up Oblivion and the game telling you your race, profession, family and combat build without any input on your part but you get to decide how you look and your name at least.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Woolie Wool posted:

Every other industry ships products that work, why not demand the same of games? People sure have low expectations for their 60 bux around here.

Oh I agree it's a shitshow, and SHOULD be completely unacceptable, but as long as people buy into the hype train and hand over their money before finding out about the state of the product it will happily perpetuate.

They do it because they know you'll pay.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

In all Fallouts you have a set backstory so people getting annoyed at the one in 4 is really amusing to me

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You don't just have a set backstory, you have a personality, a voice, a wife and child and a home in suburbia. You love your wife, you know this because the game has the main character say it without your input. Your child is named Shaun. This is different to "you live in a vault and have been tasked with finding water" in ways that would take a whole nother effortpost to really articulate.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

2house2fly posted:

You don't just have a set backstory :qq:, you have a personality, a voice, a wife and child and a home in suburbia. :qq: You love your wife, :qq: you know this because the game has the main character say it WITHOUT. YOUR. INPUT. :qq:. Your child is named SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUN. :qq: This is different to "you live in a vault and have been tasked with finding water" in ways that would take a whole nother effortpost to really articulate. :qq:

I improved your post

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

hip weapons- assault rifles, grenade launchers, shotguns
back weapons- sniper rifles, rocket launchers, lmgs

larger weapons (size in proportion to snake) end up on the back and weapons smaller than those but larger than a pistol will be hip weapons.

if you wanna get that challenge where you knock out the little kid, have the resupply flare in your support slot. set up some c4 next to a water tower and aggro him. detonate as soon as he appears and immediately switch to the resupply flare directly on his body. it's just enough time for the crate to drop on the little fucker.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Woolie Wool posted:

you're right. aaa games should have stable releases. but breetai has a point: what was everyone really expecting from bethesda at this point?

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Yeah Bethesda, what if I wanted my character to not have a dad? What if my character wouldn't be a prisoner and are an upstanding guard instead?

Jesus Interplay, what if my character wants everyone in the Vault to die of dehydration and gently caress around? Why would they be the Chosen One, their INT is 2. Idiots. Ruining my immersion.

edit: It's also hardly just Bethesda that ships poor products at this point. The Last Of Us was terribly broken to the point of being unplayable for a lot of people at launch but it's still considered a groundbreaking game. Most of the recent Assassin's Creed games have been horrifically bugged at launch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The game does not respond at all to your personal made up stories though so it can hardly be that immersive. Anyway w/e

In MGSV the menus can be really slow to load because of the online connection, disconnecting from the online locks loads of your resources though as some are stored online.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Would you believe me biggest complaint about Fallout 4 right now is when you are backing out of a work bench (armor, weapons, any of them) you hit TAB a few times but to finally exit out of it you need to hit Enter?

Why not just TAB all the way through? Making me reach across the keyboard is something that should have driven someone in Bethesda nuts enough to change.

This is what happens when you game in your 30s; little inconveniences bother you instead of hunting for bugs then bitching on the Internet.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Justin Godscock posted:

Would you believe me biggest complaint about Fallout 4 right now is when you are backing out of a work bench (armor, weapons, any of them) you hit TAB a few times but to finally exit out of it you need to hit Enter?

Why not just TAB all the way through? Making me reach across the keyboard is something that should have driven someone in Bethesda nuts enough to change.

This is what happens when you game in your 30s; little inconveniences bother you instead of hunting for bugs then bitching on the Internet.

E also functions as the 'confirm' button, unless you've remapped it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

I know someone who is. He really hates that the 'role-playing' part of 'role-playing games' got lost out in Japan thanks to a really weird game design telephone situation that meant most of the seminal RPGs were made by people who didn't really know what one was. But yeah, JRPGs are a different genre, that just happens to have common roots and some similar appeals. They don't really intersect.

And personally, as I've said a couple times, I don't think this is an 'RPG problem', if Bioware pulled this nobody would really mind. It's a 'Bethesda problem', because their games are defined as holding to a very specific design philosophy that nobody else really does, and this goes against that. It's like if the next Pokemon game declared you to be playing the Rock Gym Leader, or if a new mainline XCOM decided to let you play as one of the soldiers (yes, I know The Bureau happened, that's what I mean).

2house2fly posted:

You don't just have a set backstory, you have a personality, a voice, a wife and child and a home in suburbia. You love your wife, you know this because the game has the main character say it without your input. Your child is named Shaun. This is different to "you live in a vault and have been tasked with finding water" in ways that would take a whole nother effortpost to really articulate.

There's been several effortposts about this, and I don't think the people declaring that 'it's fine, they're just being spergy' are actually listening to them.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Justin Godscock posted:

I froth at the mouth in any game where escape doesn't bring up the menu with the quit option. I am hitting escape because I want to escape from this hell!

War thunder has tab bring up the scoreboard if you are alive, or dying, or waiting to respawn, but it does nothing if you're out of planes and I always forget this, get frustrated, and now i'm tapping out a morse code message of futility eventually sending "````````````````" to the entire map. Show me the scores. This is the button that does that. It did it before!

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

The PC control mapping is really off sometimes.

See: The fact that escape should logically back out of all menus and not just the workshop.

Speaking of the workshop menu, the 'snapping' mechanics and the fact that the building materials don't all line up with each other is a hard lesson to learn. Adding on that you get back less scrap than you spend (something that would be fine if there were an undo button) it becomes an expensive mistake.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah, uh... you might want to get that checked out, that isn't healthy.

also, the Fallout intro should have been narrated by Ron Perlman but it's not and now Fallout is ruined forever

If I'm remembering my Stuff I Read On The Internet correctly, he refused to work with bethesda anymore after fallout 3 because they are apparently really lovely to work with and were insufferable in making him re-record the intro over and over again. So whether or not the intro is because of that, I don't now. But I'd like to believe they called him up and he told them to go gently caress themselves.

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Speaking of the workshop menu, the 'snapping' mechanics and the fact that the building materials don't all line up with each other is a hard lesson to learn. Adding on that you get back less scrap than you spend (something that would be fine if there were an undo button) it becomes an expensive mistake.

For some reason it's literally impossible to build a fence in a straight line in my game. They all automatically snap at right degree angles and it won't ever let me build one in a line. So the few times I tried to fence something off it just wound up becoming an awful, expensive maze that didn't even fully close off. Also apparently there are no gates, or if there are they don't call them gates because every fencing option is just "fence".

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Nov 17, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

The PC control mapping is really off sometimes.

See: The fact that escape should logically back out of all menus and not just the workshop.

Most of the metal walls don't even have proper corner pieces to link them with :argh:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ArtIsResistance posted:

I improved your post

I'm not mad about it, it's just weird to see claims that Fallout 4 doesn't give you any more backstory than previous games. It's like if Fallout 4 came out and was a top-down shmup, and people said "well yeah, in the original games you played from a top-down perspective, I don't see how this is different"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh and here's a really petty one. In FO4 you can change your pip boy color and your HUD color independently. You can not change the HUD of your power armor and they chose the most obnoxious shade of yellow for it. I genuinely do not use the power armor because I hate the HUD color above all else.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nuebot posted:

If I'm remembering my Stuff I Read On The Internet correctly, he refused to work with bethesda anymore after fallout 3 because they are apparently really lovely to work with and were insufferable in making him re-record the intro over and over again. So whether or not the intro is because of that, I don't now. But I'd like to believe they called him up and he told them to go gently caress themselves.

He was the television news announcer though so he didn't cut off ties completely?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing dragging FO4 down is that not a single one of the NPCs asked my pronouns before just assuming I was a woman. Lol at this game in TYOOL 2015.

I don't care that they chose to put a backstory in a game (because I am not a terrible sperg), but I do kinda wish they had chosen something other than a missing baby. I mean yeah fine put a narrative in there but you should really make the events of the game follow the story you're telling. If I want to play along with the main story, every single dialogue choice should be "I don't have time for this, I have to find my baby" followed by sprinting off over the horizon. The main additional feature they put in here, settlement building, is completely out of place given the context. Of course I'll spend a few months planting a garden and putting up picket fences when someone just ran off with my baby.

Oh well, still a great great game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Woolie Wool posted:

God forbid people role play in a roleplaying game. Who would do such a thing, it's only the entire reason the genre was invented and the source of its name.
This is the dumbest thing anyone has posted in this thread.

Woolie Wool posted:

And no you cannot roleplay in Doom because your imagination of whom the Doomguy is has no bearing on what you do in the game
Exactly like every other computer game then?

Justin Godscock posted:

I have a similar one in Skyrim. When you're crafting, or buying or selling, you hit Esc to stop/back out of that activity. When you're mining, it opens the main menu.

Cleretic posted:

There's been several effortposts about this, and I don't think the people declaring that 'it's fine, they're just being spergy' are actually listening to them.
I've read those posts, I understand what you're saying, you're just wrong.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I don't care that they chose to put a backstory in a game (because I am not a terrible sperg), but I do kinda wish they had chosen something other than a missing baby. I mean yeah fine put a narrative in there but you should really make the events of the game follow the story you're telling. If I want to play along with the main story, every single dialogue choice should be "I don't have time for this, I have to find my baby" followed by sprinting off over the horizon.
Like I said earlier, this is a problem with basically every game with side quests. The only way to avoid it would be to not have a main storyline at all - no world in danger, no personal stakes - but then you'd have the problem of character motivation. If you don't have some big important task to perform, what are you going around putting your life in danger for?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Danger Mahoney posted:

I don't care that they chose to put a backstory in a game (because I am not a terrible sperg), but I do kinda wish they had chosen something other than a missing baby. I mean yeah fine put a narrative in there but you should really make the events of the game follow the story you're telling. If I want to play along with the main story, every single dialogue choice should be "I don't have time for this, I have to find my baby" followed by sprinting off over the horizon. The main additional feature they put in here, settlement building, is completely out of place given the context. Of course I'll spend a few months planting a garden and putting up picket fences when someone just ran off with my baby.

Actually, that's a decent point. If the big gameplay focus is on the settlement building or equipment modification, then it doesn't really make sense for the main thrust of the story to be an unrelated parental thing. Skyrim's big thing was dragons, so it only made sense for the protagonist to be written outward from the fact that you would be fighting dragons. There's a story reason why you can fight dragons like nobody else and use their abilities better than anyone, but Fallout 4 doesn't have a story reason why you're building up strongholds.

If they really wanted to make the player a pre-war civilian that wakes up after two hundred years of horrible poo poo, why not build it around that? Make Vault 111 a specially-selected team of people well-equipped to be able to build a new society, of which you are the only survivor. You wake up alone, everyone else taken or killed, and have to decide 'this project's bust, time to figure out what happened over time' or 'I was given a job, I'm gonna DO it even if nobody else is here'. Sure, throw an impetus to quest in there too--maybe something important to the project was taken, or something--but make the player character's objective one of the things people actually want to do.

...I'm halfway tempted to learn modding to actually do this. I have accidentally come up with a direction for the story I would MUCH prefer.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tiggum posted:

This is the dumbest thing anyone has posted in this thread.

Exactly like every other computer game then?

I have a similar one in Skyrim. When you're crafting, or buying or selling, you hit Esc to stop/back out of that activity. When you're mining, it opens the main menu.

I've read those posts, I understand what you're saying, you're just wrong.

Like I said earlier, this is a problem with basically every game with side quests. The only way to avoid it would be to not have a main storyline at all - no world in danger, no personal stakes - but then you'd have the problem of character motivation. If you don't have some big important task to perform, what are you going around putting your life in danger for?

Sorry about your relentless philistinism, it must be suck to be the thing dragging the entire medium down. Can't discuss themes, genres, or contradictions within a work, that's "sperging" and we're not allowed to care or think about anything beyond the superficial consumer product level.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

An RPG without a main storyline sounds great. A Mass Effect where you aren't chasing some Reaper dude but just exploring the universe and getting into situations. A Fallout where you're maybe the last survivor of a vault and have lived alone for years, finally venturing out into the wasteland to see what it's like. Half the time the main story is crap anyway, Fallout 4 being both a recent and a notable example.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Actually, that's a decent point. If the big gameplay focus is on the settlement building or equipment modification, then it doesn't really make sense for the main thrust of the story to be an unrelated parental thing. Skyrim's big thing was dragons, so it only made sense for the protagonist to be written outward from the fact that you would be fighting dragons. There's a story reason why you can fight dragons like nobody else and use their abilities better than anyone, but Fallout 4 doesn't have a story reason why you're building up strongholds.

If they really wanted to make the player a pre-war civilian that wakes up after two hundred years of horrible poo poo, why not build it around that? Make Vault 111 a specially-selected team of people well-equipped to be able to build a new society, of which you are the only survivor. You wake up alone, everyone else taken or killed, and have to decide 'this project's bust, time to figure out what happened over time' or 'I was given a job, I'm gonna DO it even if nobody else is here'. Sure, throw an impetus to quest in there too--maybe something important to the project was taken, or something--but make the player character's objective one of the things people actually want to do.

...I'm halfway tempted to learn modding to actually do this. I have accidentally come up with a direction for the story I would MUCH prefer.

I would play that mod but the effort it would take would be monumental with all the voiced dialogue that already has to do with the current backstory.

As it is you could kind of justify delaying the main quest in fallout 3 and new vegas, but in FO4 if your character plans on finding their child at all then it makes no sense for them to do anything else but beeline straight for diamond city. In my way that I do, I slowly explored a bunch of the random stuff I found in between sanctuary and diamond city and now my character is just remembering that she has a child at level 17.

It only really makes sense for you to do the main quest entirely right away or abandon it completely. Other games have this problem too but not nearly to the extent that fallout 4 does.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Nov 17, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Most of Dragon's Dogma is just you doing side quests and getting into scrapes, the "main quest" is largely running errands for the duke. Something like that with more quests, towns, enemies and maybe factions and stuff would be cool. Dragon's Dogma is incredibly cool already by the way, and should be bought on PC this coming January.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Actually DD's story suddenly goes from lame and boring to metal and awesome toward the end of the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I would play that mod but the effort it would take would be monumental with all the voiced dialogue that already has to do with the current backstory.

As it is you could kind of justify delaying the main quest in fallout 3 and new vegas, but in FO4 if your character plans on finding their child at all then it makes no sense for them to do anything else but beeline straight for diamond city. In my way that I do, I slowly explored a bunch of the random stuff I found in between sanctuary and diamond city and now my character is just remembering that she has a child at level 17.

It only really makes sense for you to do the main quest entirely right away or abandon it completely. Other games have this problem too but not nearly to the extent that fallout 4 does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar675HiXrqA

dunno how entrenched the main story is in fallout 4's design, but this is a total conversion made from oblivion and from what i've seen scrubbing through the video it looks like it's story's completely independent from Elder Scrolls lore. also i'm pretty sure all the voicework is custom and not hacked apart from the main game but i don't speak the language.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

You could just do it the way the skyrim mod did it. Most, if not all, of the main plot NPCs were active and there but their dialogue trees weren't available. They just said their generic lines unless you started the story.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

Sorry about your relentless philistinism, it must be suck to be the thing dragging the entire medium down. Can't discuss themes, genres, or contradictions within a work, that's "sperging" and we're not allowed to care or think about anything beyond the superficial consumer product level.

good lord this post

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Didn't Morrowind not even tell you the main quest until later on? You're just dropped off at a dock and told 'go do whatever'.

I still haven't played Fallout 4, but I bet you could do it. Shaun would take a lot of effort to write out, but maybe you don't have to. I'm still thinking about this, but maybe Shaun was one of a number of babies taken on by the vault to ensure, even if something goes wrong, that there is at least a second generation. Shaun is the child of you and another member of the project, but it's up to you whether that was a voluntary pairing, whether you like them, or if you're even attracted to their sex in the first place.

Your actual role in the project is flavor text, but determined by your highest SPECIAL stat. Strength? Construction. Intelligence? Salvager, maybe. Luck? 'I don't know why you're here, but there's probably a reason.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

2house2fly posted:

An RPG without a main storyline sounds great. A Mass Effect where you aren't chasing some Reaper dude but just exploring the universe and getting into situations. A Fallout where you're maybe the last survivor of a vault and have lived alone for years, finally venturing out into the wasteland to see what it's like. Half the time the main story is crap anyway, Fallout 4 being both a recent and a notable example.

Space Traders are an entire genre of games that already does this. There hasn't been one made in years because nobody actually likes or buys them.

Trigger warning: a baby might exist in one of them.