Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
really giving my scrollwheel a workout the past couple pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

painted bird posted:

idk C3PO can clearly pass the turing test. dunno about R2D2, though
the only argument for this would also apply to the chinamen or the savages of darkest africa until they learn the white man's tongue

and even then it might not be good enough for you you loving bigot

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
okay, my bad, that was dumb. R2D2 can probably pass the turing test but he'd need an interpreter.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
also this thread is tiresome as gently caress and i don't know why i bother posting

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
neither do i

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
this thread is chill. discussions about robotic gender are chill. everyone chill

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

man gently caress off with your culture wars poo poo, you're jsut forcing it now

no one's forcing these raised-by-the-internet kids to post their moronic I WONDER IF MY VACUUM CLEANER IS A LAYDEE thoughts

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

painted bird posted:

also this thread is tiresome as gently caress and i don't know why i bother posting

you shouldn't post here

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Internaut! posted:

no one's forcing these raised-by-the-internet kids to post their moronic I WONDER IF MY VACUUM CLEANER IS A LAYDEE thoughts

posting about gender doesn't automatically need to be a big political argument, you dweeb

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's potentially interesting to explore and discuss the way that we anthropomorphize inanimate things and the role that gender plays in that but JESUS CHRIST yospos is clearly incapable of fulfilling that potential

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
lol w/e, i'm out. you guys can keep circlejerking over your own ~edge~ or whatever

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

painted bird posted:

please stop then

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Amethyst posted:

posting about gender doesn't automatically need to be a big political argument, you dweeb

complain to whoever's making big political arguments then, it's not me as my 3 posts in 4 pages show

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:science: the Turing test was originally a gender determination test which Turing adapted to a computer vs not computer test

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Internaut! posted:

oh man i hope she is, otherwise i just got my...never mind

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

same

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

painted bird posted:

lol w/e, i'm out. you guys can keep circlejerking over your own ~edge~ or whatever

The Great Droid Gender Meltdown of November 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

so guys, just got back from a trip, what did i miss?

you guys excited for all the new scifi shows on syfy this month? what about that one where the nazis and japan take over america. how about jessica jones

I just read the next 'the expanse' novella. Kinda cool, goes in to the poo poo life of living on earth on basic.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

how do the neuromancer books hold up? like i get that they're classics and i should read them, but are they still good in their own right or is it just going to look silly

Sham bam bamina! posted:

the only argument for this would also apply to the chinamen or the savages of darkest africa until they learn the white man's tongue

and even then it might not be good enough for you you loving bigot

this reminds me of a thing i read about during my Internet Skeptic days where people would claim they could help people with severe learning disabilities communicate by moving their hand around a board or whatever and waiting for them to 'signal' the right letter. turns out that this has all the problems you think it does.

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 17, 2015

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
the sprawl trilogy (neuromancer etc) all hold up okay as long as you can manage the obvious reverse anachronisms (like payphones). i re-read neuromancer and count zero this year and they're both still really good, i started mona lisa overdrive and it was also still good but i had a headcrash and never went back to it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
neuromancer is fantastic and one of the few scis fi that actually capture the atmosphere of the milieu in the sheer tone of the writing itself (along with dune and uhhh give me a minute here)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i guess there are also a lot of awful books that capture the shittiness of one in the other too if you want to go that route

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i guess there are also a lot of awful books that capture the shittiness of one in the other too if you want to go that route

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
burning chrome still holds up in a lot of ways

great short collection

e: including jonny mnemonic which has almost as little to do with the movie as lawnmower man had to do with its

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

neuromancer is fantastic and one of the few scis fi that actually capture the atmosphere of the milieu in the sheer tone of the writing itself (along with dune and uhhh give me a minute here)

1984?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
oh good call

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
and the short story 'hinterlands' in burning chrome could have been the inspiration for event horizon

it was super spoopy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
btw it's really irritating when people in this thread ask if something old "holds up" as if good books or movies have some kind of expiration date, it's such an awful way of thinking about things

"well, i guess childhood's end was good for the time, but of course this is 2015"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
"i mean come on, they didn't even have darpanet back then, so you get a future without computer networking! it's just silly!"

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 17, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

btw it's really irritating when people in this thread ask if something old "holds up" as if good books or movies have some kind of expiration date, it's such an awful way of thinking about things

"well, i guess childhood's end was good for the time, but of course this is 2015"

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

-the bible

clearly we all have a problem

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

and the short story 'hinterlands' in burning chrome could have been the inspiration for event horizon

it was super spoopy

hinterlands is one of my favourite short stories ever

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The Jaunt is also really spoopy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

The Jaunt is also really spoopy.

it is kind of existential

let it not inspire teleportation chat because honestly we don't even know what we are but would not like to find out that way

cms: watching the happening rifftrax

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lva8L-J8x04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
we ask if something "still holds up" not because of how sf gets more inaccurate over time but because we tend to read a lot of sf as teenagers and in later years we realize that most of it was utter garbage

the question is really "is this still good when read as an adult who has been exposed to things other than genre fiction"

• Locked thread