Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ken Burns' The Civil War is still a solid watch, yeah? It's just come out on Bluray and surprise surprise, they didn't cover it in my history classes when I was a kid, so my knowledge is super limited.
Did you grow up outside the US? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Worth it just to hear Shelby Foote's accent.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

Hey guys, thanks for getting me on the Limitless train. I'm sure you won't regret it or anything after I try to bully Rarity into watching it.

I do not give in to bullies, sir. I stand reticent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

Did you grow up outside the US? :psyduck:

The avatar doesn't lie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually just watched Burns' Civil War like last week for the first time. It's indeed excellent, though I think I preferred his Baseball one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nate RFB posted:

I actually just watched Burns' Civil War like last week for the first time. It's indeed excellent, though I think I preferred his Baseball one.

I think it just got on Netflix recently as well.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 16, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ken Burns' The Civil War is still a solid watch, yeah? It's just come out on Bluray and surprise surprise, they didn't cover it in my history classes when I was a kid, so my knowledge is super limited.

Make sure you watch this supplementary material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XlSXcwJ3o

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Nate RFB posted:

The Baseball one is so good it makes you care about Baseball even if you hate it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love Mr Show, but queued that clip up for a rewatch.

Maybe someone could do an edit where I can watch one documentary that teaches me both baseball and American history.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Teek posted:

Make sure you watch this supplementary material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2XlSXcwJ3o
My favorite part of this is Jeff Goldblum's voice coming out of nowhere.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

National Parks is my favorite Ken Burns documentary, but they're all very good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bruceski posted:

National Parks is my favorite Ken Burns documentary, but they're all very good.

I'm not a huge fan of Jazz.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, the He-Man cartoon from the 80s is a loving acid trip. it's also completely unintentionally hilarious, not in the least because one of the characters looks like a giant walking penis with a mustache.

Is the early 2000s show this utterly goddamn bizarre? I watched it as a kid when it was new and it seemed way less off-its-meds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, the He-Man cartoon from the 80s is a loving acid trip. it's also completely unintentionally hilarious, not in the least because one of the characters looks like a giant walking penis with a mustache.

Is the early 2000s show this utterly goddamn bizarre? I watched it as a kid when it was new and it seemed way less off-its-meds.

I like how Prince Adam's transformation into He-Man just seems to involve taking his shirt off and applying bronzer.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Would Frasier be a good blind-buy and a show to start watching?

It's currently on Amazon.ca for $49.99 - today only

I always thought it'd be a show I'd appreciate when I was older, because as a kid it just never grabbed my attention.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

friendo55 posted:

Would Frasier be a good blind-buy and a show to start watching?

It's currently on Amazon.ca for $49.99 - today only

I always thought it'd be a show I'd appreciate when I was older, because as a kid it just never grabbed my attention.
It's one of the best sit-coms - or shows - of all time, and the humour was very intelligent. That said, I don't know how it ages on things like race and sexism like with everything else, but it's one of my favourite shows, not just comedies, right there with Allo Allo and Yes Minister.

It kinda ruins other sit-coms for you, because the jokes are so clever, which is rarely the case for any sit-com, then as now.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

It's one of the best sit-coms - or shows - of all time, and the humour was very intelligent. That said, I don't know how it ages on things like race and sexism like with everything else, but it's one of my favourite shows, not just comedies, right there with Allo Allo and Yes Minister.

It kinda ruins other sit-coms for you, because the jokes are so clever, which is rarely the case for any sit-com, then as now.

So..... it's 'The Wire' of comedies that ruins other shows for you?
I'm sold.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Newsradio and Seinfeld are better sitcoms.

What was so clever about Frasier? It was slapstick comedy dressed up by rich people. Most episodes involved Niles flailing around on fire and breaking poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brett Gelman has announced another "Dinner" special, Dinner in America.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Best sitcom" isn't exactly a high bar to set, those things are by definition rather banal. Fraiser isn't fine art, it's watchable but I don't think it's $50-worthy, at least not for going in blind. If you loved the show, maybe.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Bruceski posted:

"Best sitcom" isn't exactly a high bar to set, those things are by definition rather banal. Fraiser isn't fine art, it's watchable but I don't think it's $50-worthy, at least not for going in blind. If you loved the show, maybe.

50$ for 11 seasons of entertainment seems pretty reasonable. Then again, isn't it on netflix?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Newsradio and Seinfeld are better sitcoms.

What was so clever about Frasier? It was slapstick comedy dressed up by rich people. Most episodes involved Niles flailing around on fire and breaking poo poo.

Slapstick is a fine art.

Plus the characters are really well-drawn and nuanced, there are some great well-constructed farce episodes (The Matchmaker, the Ski Lodge episode, The Innkeepers), the entire cast is funny and good and there's some great banter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maxwell Lord posted:

Slapstick is a fine art.

Plus the characters are really well-drawn and nuanced, there are some great well-constructed farce episodes (The Matchmaker, the Ski Lodge episode, The Innkeepers), the entire cast is funny and good and there's some great banter.

I agree with everything you say and think Frasier is "pretty good" and not much more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this? posted:

Brett Gelman has announced another "Dinner" special, Dinner in America.

I'm scared.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
So that MST3K Kickstarter is officially funded, and still has 25 days left.

Pass the tapes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Manos del Sino posted:

So that MST3K Kickstarter is officially funded, and still has 25 days left.

Pass the tapes.

They also just announced Jonah Ray as the new host (he'll be Jonah Heston in the show), and naturally there was backlash. And look, I'm not saying only idiots hate the idea of him being a host; I think you can have some legit beefs with the guy. But I did see one guy on Twitter ripping on him for ruining MST3K, and I have screen-capped proof of him listing better candidates for the show, including Eugene Mirman, Patton Oswalt, Judah Friedlander, and I swear this is true, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw aka Australian Guy Who Rips Apart Video Games on The Escapist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While they didn't announce this at all, tonight's episode of Legends has been pushed back, instead airing a repeat of the first episode. Mostly because the story has been building towards a terrorist attack in Paris, so yeah, not the best timing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While they didn't announce this at all, tonight's episode of Legends has been pushed back, instead airing a repeat of the first episode. Mostly because the story has been building towards a terrorist attack in Paris, so yeah, not the best timing.

Someone said they were soft rebooting that show, what are they changing?

Unrelated, if you told me one of the best episodes I've seen of any show this season would be one from Supernatural, well, I'd have thought you were nuts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They already changed it. The show moved to London and Sean Bean is only character from season 1. It feels closer to something like Homeland now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

They also just announced Jonah Ray as the new host (he'll be Jonah Heston in the show), and naturally there was backlash. And look, I'm not saying only idiots hate the idea of him being a host; I think you can have some legit beefs with the guy. But I did see one guy on Twitter ripping on him for ruining MST3K, and I have screen-capped proof of him listing better candidates for the show, including Eugene Mirman, Patton Oswalt, Judah Friedlander, and I swear this is true, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw aka Australian Guy Who Rips Apart Video Games on The Escapist.

I mean, I'm just saying, all those guys would be better picks. Judah Friedlander especially.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

the terrorists' real motivation becomes clear

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

They already changed it. The show moved to London and Sean Bean is only character from season 1. It feels closer to something like Homeland now.

Morris Chestnut is also guest starring for a little bit but it's obvious he isn't staying around long term.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I mean, I'm just saying, all those guys would be better picks. Judah Friedlander especially.

Friedlander, Mirman, and Oswalt? Absolutely, no argument here. But anybody who puts loving Yahtzee on the same shelf as those guys is cert-i-God-damned-fiable.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

Has Jonah Ray ever actually done anything other than be Chris Hardwick's less-attractive shadow?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mu Zeta posted:

Did they drop the nauseating sexism that permeated the pilot?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sleeveless posted:

Has Jonah Ray ever actually done anything other than be Chris Hardwick's less-attractive shadow?

The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail is one of the best weekly stand-up shows ever, if not the best.

Granted there's not a ton of competition, but it stands out and it never wastes your time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Did they drop the nauseating sexism that permeated the pilot?

He fucks some waitress and tries to leave without making her breakfast?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Friedlander, Mirman, and Oswalt? Absolutely, no argument here. But anybody who puts loving Yahtzee on the same shelf as those guys is cert-i-God-damned-fiable.

Judah Friedlander as Not-Joel
Andy Samberg as Not-Mike
David Cross voices Not-Crow
Eugene Mirman voices Not-Servo
Melissa McCarthy as Not-Pearl Forrester

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail is one of the best weekly stand-up shows ever, if not the best.

Granted there's not a ton of competition, but it stands out and it never wastes your time.

But not because of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

DivisionPost posted:

I've been meaning to check that out for a long time because I love Kumail and stand-up, but I honestly thought it was a different Jonah. He was always such a nothing on The Nerdist. Is he funny on the show?

• Locked thread