Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I've only run into two so far, the first was at wicked trucking, I loaded the construction persona and it walked outside, and ignored me completely. Second one was in the Super Duper Mart and I wanted that one to deal with the Ghouls so I uploaded Law Enforcement and continued sneaking around while he [DETECTED] me sometimes but he never attacked me. I powered it down before I left though, and never walked very close to it, so I don't know if that mattered.

...also I had my guns out and fought a number of ghouls in the Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meridian posted:

So which faction are most of you guys siding with? I've joined all of them at this point and am thinking Institute just for the sake of it. All the plot lines are kind of weak.

The one that makes my numbers go up.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, other than "avenge my wife", which is perfectly reasonable if she's been your beard, and a close friend who keeps your secret, I didn't think anything really shoved "straight white male protagonist" in your face. Even "some military service" isn't really very descriptive, and I don't think I've seen anything go more in depth than that. There was probably a draft going during the war, so it probably applied to almost every 18-year-old male.

Honestly, I thought New Vegas' Courier backstory was the hardest to get into -- it implied that I'd been born and lived my entire life in the wasteland and wasn't intellectual enough to find a better profession than "courier", or maybe I was a drifter-type? Why would I become a courier? I certainly don't want to, myself, it sounds like a hilariously dangerous job in the Fallout universe. It also implied that I should be relatively familiar with the Mojave wasteland and was comfortable getting from place to place, which was certainly not true as a level 1 courier with no landmarks on the map and possible death around every rock.

Being a courier in the Mojave is probably a pretty demanding, difficult, and high paying job. Also, like the other guy said, the bullet in your head gives you temporary amnesia and also reduces your abilities except for stuff that you've really, really internalized (your tags).

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
That Cabot House quest was the dumbest poo poo I've seen in a long time.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Just had my first crash leaving the Prydwen. :toot:

How many hours had you clocked before that crash? Because I just had my first as well when talking to one of the scientists in the Institute, and that's after about ~60 hours, which is impressive

Really love the aesthetics of the Institute, by the way. Kind of has a 60's/70's sci-fi feel to it, which is a refreshing change from the usual retro-50's stuff.

Roobanguy posted:

i straight up killed father when he first appeared.

Same. I was actually genuinely surprised that worked.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It doesn't give you amnesia, but I do like to imagine being shot in the head and being in a coma leaves you pretty weak and the rest of the game is you recovering to your former badass self

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Agreed, I was hoping Lorenzo Cabot would teach me the psychic powers after I saved him. Wasted opportunity right there Bethesda

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SunAndSpring posted:

You start the quest by murdering an entire regiment of, assumedly, high price mercenaries. The quest giver sees that you've murdered the men he's spent a shitload of money to hire and who were doing nothing but guarding a building you're trying to raid. Not only that, but there's recently been a robbery of a serum shipment, so you could even (potentially) be an assassin trying to get at the Cabots. So what does he do? He seeks you out, and invites you in past their security system!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I want no more aliens in Fallout ever again.

And wait, you can start the quest by murdering all the people at the asylum? I started it by talking to that ghoul in Bunker Hill. That's just dumb as hell.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

2house2fly posted:

It doesn't give you amnesia, but I do like to imagine being shot in the head and being in a coma leaves you pretty weak and the rest of the game is you recovering to your former badass self
you can pretty much choose to believe that it gave you amnesia by asking dumb as hell questions that make no sense from a character perspective of someone who's been out west but make sense perfectly for a new player, an amnesiac or someone who actually hasn't been out there
i think that's actually a cool touch in their design for NV dialogue stuff

meanwhile i didn't know this game still had random encounters. at least, i think it was random? i ran into a funeral for some guy near salem in the fog and the way the npcs were named it seemed like a random encounter given that they didn't have any special names despite referring to each other and the dead guy by name in actual dialogue

edit:

frajaq posted:

Agreed, I was hoping Lorenzo Cabot would teach me the psychic powers after I saved him. Wasted opportunity right there Bethesda
he doesn't? wow that's horseshit. what does he give you? the juice?
it seems like both rewards for the quest are kinda lame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

You start the quest by murdering an entire regiment of, assumedly, high price mercenaries. The quest giver sees that you've murdered the men he's spent a shitload of money to hire and who were doing nothing but guarding a building you're trying to raid. Not only that, but there's recently been a robbery of a serum shipment, so you could even (potentially) be an assassin trying to get at the Cabots. So what does he do? He seeks you out, and invites you in past their security system!

That quest line started for me when he met me in Bunker Hill and went "hey, want a job?"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sector_corrector posted:

I started the quest by going to Cabot House's and passing two easy Persuasion checks at the door

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

SunAndSpring posted:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

That quest line started for me when he met me in Bunker Hill and went "hey, want a job?"

The typical way to start it is the way I mentioned there. He even off-handedly mentions the mercenaries you killed as part of the dialog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm stuck and I can't exit a crafting menu by pressing tab. Is there a console command that gets me out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

The typical way to start it is the way I mentioned there. He even off-handedly mentions the mercenaries you killed as part of the dialog.

You are the first person I've heard who started the quest that way. I doubt you're the only one but I really doubt it's the typical way. (He also doesn't mention the mercenaries if you don't kill them.)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
This is my first playthrough, I spent about 15 minutes wandering around Salem looking for what to do with a key I picked up off a dead guy surrounded my Mirelurks. Turns out he's supposed to be alive when you get there? And he gives you a quest? Well, he wasn't alive, so I guess I'll never know.

Also he has a really obvious trapdoor in his house, but there's no prompt for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LumberingTroll posted:

Build happiness items, decorations etc.

Turns out they wanted more beds. There was enough for everyone but they all wanted to share the same bed, apparently.

Also after a bunch of raiders tried to jump my settlement Curie suggested calling the police so they could put the evidence in little baggies. Curie owns.

quote:

How many hours had you clocked before that crash? Because I just had my first as well when talking to one of the scientists in the Institute, and that's after about ~60 hours, which is impressive

20! Amazing by Bethesda standards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samfucius posted:

This is my first playthrough, I spent about 15 minutes wandering around Salem looking for what to do with a key I picked up off a dead guy surrounded my Mirelurks. Turns out he's supposed to be alive when you get there? And he gives you a quest? Well, he wasn't alive, so I guess I'll never know.

Also he has a really obvious trapdoor in his house, but there's no prompt for it.

If he's alive you can do a simple quest for him, get into that trapdoor and get a unique Hunting Rifle that does +50% to Mirelurks. Not super-great.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I play this in Big Picture mode, is there a way to autolaunch the game instead of Bethesda's dumb launcher window that needs a mouse? thanks goons

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fereydun posted:

he doesn't? wow that's horseshit. what does he give you? the juice?
it seems like both rewards for the quest are kinda lame

yeah theoretically it's an endless supply of it, but you have to use the serum he gives before he gives you another.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ImpAtom posted:

If he's alive you can do a simple quest for him, get into that trapdoor and get a unique Hunting Rifle that does +50% to Mirelurks. Not super-great.

That quest is super fun though because its basically a zombie attack but with mutated crab (and sometimes lobster) monsters. Smashing through them all with my super sledge felt badass.

Then I walked onto the beach and got murdered by a mirelurk king.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm stuck and I can't exit a crafting menu by pressing tab. Is there a console command that gets me out?

I have this problem sometimes too, I think it has to do so shift+tabbing into steam overlay. I just alt tab out and back in and that fixes it for me, I'm running borderless windowed mode though.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

they should fire anyone that worked on the cabot house quest imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Did some research to see what kind of armor you can add Tinker Tom's ballistic weave lining on.

The answer: if it looks cool, you can't. Seriously. I console commanded like every decent-looking outfit onto my character and anything that is a cool duster, or something that looks like an outfit someone would wear exploring the wasteland, or anything that isn't like a shirt and some jeans, you can't modify. Well, you can add it to MacCready's ratty jacket and Piper's jacket, but those are pretty much the only outliers. (Also Maxson's, but you ain't getting that without console commands on an average playthrough, so I'm not really counting it.)

It's kind of infuriating. Bethesda added a system in the game that was like, "People want to wear clothing but not die in two shots. We should let them add DR to it!" And then it's like someone else went, "Well, let's not go too crazy. We can't have them wearing the outfits they want to wear."

I'm pretty sure we won't see a mod to open up outfit modifications for a couple months at least, too. Few players even seem to be aware ballistic weave exists, and even then, I'm not sure you'd be able to change the armor crafting system without the creation kit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's "Judging by the Cover" analysis of the Fallout 4 (and 3) covers:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/judging-by-the-cover/106816-Fallout-4-Box-Art-Review

...I found it funny. v:shobon:v

[e]: In regards to Fallout 4, for some reason my melee-weapon focused character with a modded sniper rifle absolutely slaughtered Corvega Factory on his run through the place whereas my stealthy sniper-focused character was getting creamed easily.

Granted, there were a few key differences, such as paying attention to armor this time around and knowing how to pick perks/weaponry/etc on a second play-through plus the melee-character being level 15 (thanks Idiot Savant!) versus my stealth sniper being level 9. Oddly enough, casually using a bolt action hunting rifle manually can well over-compensate compared to a character actually built towards rifles/sniping in their stats.

I guess what I'm saying is is that Perception is fairly useless compared to Agility. Also, having perks like Rooted/Toughness/Moving Target help a shitload towards not dying, especially on Survival difficulty as was the case for both characters.

Plus, using stealth (without Ninja perks) + Blitz + high strength + modded melee weapon will absolutely murder the poo poo out of most scrub enemies and even Super Mutants in short order. This is actually really effective for "sleeping" ghouls who count for the sneak attack multiplier from lying on the ground to just before fully standing.

Not having to rely on ammo means you can conserve ammo for, say, a sniper-modded sniping rifle to pick off stragglers on the fringes, get up close to stealth-melee the others, and use a back-up heavy weapon/combat shotgun in case things go south and enemies are rushing you. Finally, use chokepoints like doorways or crawl spaces (note: use a cluster of mines to take off an initial chunk of health) to plink away at monsters like Legendaries/Behemoths/Deathclaws until they die (which sometimes feel kind of cheap, but I'm playing on Survival so I consider it fair game). This is a very effective strategy for pretty much anything I've found so far.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 17, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, other than "avenge my wife", which is perfectly reasonable if she's been your beard, and a close friend who keeps your secret, I didn't think anything really shoved "straight white male protagonist" in your face. Even "some military service" isn't really very descriptive, and I don't think I've seen anything go more in depth than that. There was probably a draft going during the war, so it probably applied to almost every 18-year-old male.

Honestly, I thought New Vegas' Courier backstory was the hardest to get into -- it implied that I'd been born and lived my entire life in the wasteland and wasn't intellectual enough to find a better profession than "courier", or maybe I was a drifter-type? Why would I become a courier? I certainly don't want to, myself, it sounds like a hilariously dangerous job in the Fallout universe. It also implied that I should be relatively familiar with the Mojave wasteland and was comfortable getting from place to place, which was certainly not true as a level 1 courier with no landmarks on the map and possible death around every rock.

Straight white male protagonist would be an upgrade. I just said that there was an incontrovertible backstory of suburban living and parenthood with a partner, which actually wouldn't be a problem if they let you redefine your character in their wasteland life, but you are pretty heavily tied back to the original concept at nearly every turn. If there wasn't the voiced 4 option (in effect more like no option or 2 option) dialogue system then it could work fine.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Phenotype posted:

But that just raises further questions! Why am I wandering around? Couldn't hack it as a farmer? Raider gang fell apart? Do I like the lonely road? It implies a significant backstory, one with some variability, sure, but it still makes me try to explain it away somehow, and it still means that my terrified level 1 courier has been at this for some time.

"You have been raised in Vault X and need to leave the vault for the first time for this big important thing" feels like much more of a blank slate, comparatively speaking, because it doesn't imply a past beyond "grew up, experienced the wasteland for the first time".

Yeah, it raises questions! You answer the questions with your roleplaying and gameplay choices.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My guess is that they were nearing the release deadline, realized that they had a bunch of clothing sets that didn't have proper clipping models for over armor, and said "gently caress it, we'll fix it later in a DLC or a patch", and made them incompatible.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's "Judging by the Cover" analysis of the Fallout 4 (and 3) covers:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/judging-by-the-cover/106816-Fallout-4-Box-Art-Review

...I found it funny. v:shobon:v

shhh we don't talk about actually funny successful goons

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I shouldn't be enjoying myself this much making a shack on top of Red Rocket. I have to finish it later though, I ran out of wood after getting the stairs and foundation down.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Straight white male protagonist would be an upgrade. I just said that there was an incontrovertible backstory of suburban living and parenthood with a partner, which actually wouldn't be a problem if they let you redefine your character in their wasteland life, but you are pretty heavily tied back to the original concept at nearly every turn. If there wasn't the voiced 4 option (in effect more like no option or 2 option) dialogue system then it could work fine.

The voice acting isn't the issue, it's the script. It'd be the exact same issue if the guy was completely mute.

quote:

My guess is that they were nearing the release deadline, realized that they had a bunch of clothing sets that didn't have proper clipping models for over armor, and said "gently caress it, we'll fix it later in a DLC or a patch", and made them incompatible.

A mod allows you to put the armor pieces on everything. It looks like poo poo, even on suits, so it seems intentionally cut off for very thin armor only. Too bad they didn't balance around that.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
After finally getting this and playing for five hours straight, I feel I can say one thing with complete and utter authority...

gently caress molerats. Stingwings too. But mostly molerats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I'm talking about ballistic weave, though, not the layered armor. It's an (invisible) upgrade you can unlock that just adds DR to an outfit. It works on most under armor stuff and a handful of the most boring outfits, but none of the cool ones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Needs More Jazz posted:

gently caress molerats. Stingwings too. But mostly molerats.

I...buh....huh????? :psyduck:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

RBA Starblade posted:

The voice acting isn't the issue, it's the script. It'd be the exact same issue if the guy was completely mute.

The voice acting was a minor part of my complaint, which is with the entire dialogue system.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tried a second, much more minmaxy character file and Trudy was selling a suppressed bolt-action pipe pistol right when I met her.

Welp, guess I've just broken the early game right over my knee. That's the earliest I've ever found a silent weapon.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MY ABACUS! posted:

This may be a supremely stupid question, but how do I actually benefit from improving my settlements? Is it just meant to be a time waster, or do you get some kind of rewards for doing it? Other than piles of tatos.
As other people mentioned, the water farm and glue factory are useful. If you have the reqs to make the top-tier stores they will sell gear with mods that you would otherwise need science 3 / gun nut 4 to craft. The stores also generate a small passive income which has been mostly negligible so far but I assume that with more settlements and stores it will improve.

socialsecurity posted:

The Artillery sucks, have to get too close to deploy it and it either kills you or what you are trying to artillery kills you before it lands.
I really like the artillery, and you can absolutely throw the smoke grenade from a safe distance. It travels way, WAY farther than grenades or molotovs do. The arty strike lasts for a surprisingly long time as well. The last time I used one it killed 8 super mutants and a legendary who were hiding in a collapsed building.

You definitely do not need to run right up to them or even be seen. Aim high, the smoke grenade can be thrown far.

Fishstick posted:

How do you use stored mods? Like, I found a stealthboy and some random rifle mods - but if I try to equip either on applicable stuff it still tries to use the mats for them, even though they're stored in the workshop.
The mod list still shows the items needed to craft the part, but the prompt should change from CRAFT to ATTACH MOD or something like that. Mods are weapon specific; glow sights for a pipe gun will not work on a 10mm, combat rifle mods won't work on an assault rifle, etc

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I...buh....huh????? :psyduck:

They come out of nowhere. Just walking along the wasteland and BOOM! Pack a' molerats.

Sure they're easy to put down, but it's that constant threat man. Can't ever let your guard down...

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I turned Sanctuary into a massive water farm with 500+ units, but I've stopped getting purified water. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man, molerats are going to be so far down the ladder of problems that you're going to look back on them fondly.

• Locked thread