Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

That's closer to the funny panels thread- there are literacy materials available that don't star talking animal cartoons. It really undercuts the message.

Yeah, but Captain Carrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Unmature posted:

Yeah, but Captain Carrot.

Seriously. If it weren't for Ambush Bug, he'd be my favorite Bronze Age DC character. The fact that the rest of the Amazing Zoo Crew were all pastiches/parodies of the Avengers didn't hurt either.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Choco1980 posted:

Seriously. If it weren't for Ambush Bug, he'd be my favorite Bronze Age DC character. The fact that the rest of the Amazing Zoo Crew were all pastiches/parodies of the Avengers didn't hurt either.
I'll give you most of them but Yankee Poodle and Rubberduck were both clearly from the DC side of the board.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Transformers, More Than Meets The Eye #46

after a tense stand-off involving a brain damaged Grimlock and a bomb...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh dear. I-is t-that... FORTRESS MAXIMUS?!?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Oh dear. I-is t-that... FORTRESS MAXIMUS?!?

yup. In this continuity he spent three years being tortured

he didn't take it well

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
also in this continuity, Fortress Maximus does not turn INTO a fortress.

He got his name because he worked as a prison warden. He's kind of changed careers now, but it was kind of clever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That issue loses a lot of what makes it great with just those few panels. "More than Meets the Eye" is top 5 for me every month since it started (if not higher). Please read it even if you never cared about dumb robots who change into cars, it's really, really good.

For context on that particular scene, a bunch of army deserters now called Scavengers find themselves in the wrong place just as this Fortress Maximus guy, now a dangerous vigilant, arrives on the scene, kills the slaver dude he is talking about on those panels, then tries to kill/arrest the deserters. Hijinks follow and the Scavengers, in an attempt to run the hell out of there, end up convincing Fortress Maximus that they planted a bomb that will kill all those roboid slaves. It helps that one of the Scavengers had vandalized Transformers Wikipedia presenting them as an actual threat (they aren't, they are just a band of losers) while one of them has the greatest poker face in history what with occasionally suffering from facial paralysis due to a head wound.

One of the Scavengers is a rather dumb guy who also happens to have surgeon hands (a very rare trait in Cybertronians) and he's the one who leaves that farewell message to Maximus so the latter knows that not only have they fooled him but that the roboids can actually be saved. Maximus thus learns to stop judging things by appearance so he will likely be less trigger-happy in the future. Happy ending for everyone involved.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Saoshyant posted:

That issue loses a lot of what makes it great with just those few panels. "More than Meets the Eye" is top 5 for me every month since it started (if not higher). Please read it even if you never cared about dumb robots who change into cars, it's really, really good.

For context on that particular scene, a bunch of army deserters now called Scavengers find themselves in the wrong place just as this Fortress Maximus guy, now a dangerous vigilant, arrives on the scene, kills the slaver dude he is talking about on those panels, then tries to kill/arrest the deserters. Hijinks follow and the Scavengers, in an attempt to run the hell out of there, end up convincing Fortress Maximus that they planted a bomb that will kill all those roboid slaves. It helps that one of the Scavengers had vandalized Transformers Wikipedia presenting them as an actual threat (they aren't, they are just a band of losers) while one of them has the greatest poker face in history what with occasionally suffering from facial paralysis due to a head wound.

One of the Scavengers is a rather dumb guy who also happens to have surgeon hands (a very rare trait in Cybertronians) and he's the one who leaves that farewell message to Maximus so the latter knows that not only have they fooled him but that the roboids can actually be saved. Maximus thus learns to stop judging things by appearance so he will likely be less trigger-happy in the future. Happy ending for everyone involved.

If I wanted to start reading, do I just start at MtMtE #1? Or is there stuff before that I'm going to want to have as a background? Also, is MtMtE the one with the robot that recorded his message in clip show form?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Toshimo posted:

If I wanted to start reading, do I just start at MtMtE #1?

That works fine. Just have a passing knowledge that there's some robots, they transform into things, there's two factions, they were at war for four billion years and now the war's over and this book tells the outcome.

Toshimo posted:

Also, is MtMtE the one with the robot that recorded his message in clip show form?

Yes!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Man, I remember when Fortress Maximus RIPPED HIS GODDAMN HEAD OFF to show people he wasn't a threat. And they still didn't believe him. So his lieutenants started RIPPING THEIR OWN GODDAMN HEADS OFF. And then the king dude of the humans was like OH gently caress I GUESS THEY REALLY DIDN"T MEAN ANY HARM.

Fortress Maximus OWNS (cybernetic) BONES.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Toshimo posted:

If I wanted to start reading, do I just start at MtMtE #1? Or is there stuff before that I'm going to want to have as a background? Also, is MtMtE the one with the robot that recorded his message in clip show form?

yeah, that would be Rewind in issue 16. But if you want to start with MtMtE, start with "The Death Of Optimus Prime" which is kind of a joint open for both MtMtE and what is now The Transformers, then head into issue one. If you want some background on Fortress Maximus, pick up Last Stand Of The Wreckers - if you can grab the hardback version which includes a bonus prose story which ties into a panel in number 46 and a seemingly throwaway line from the main book. If you want to go even further back, try and grab both parts of Chaos Theory, which were Roberts first proper stories for IDW, and give plenty of background on both Megatron and Optimus Prime.

In short, starting from number 1 should give you all you need, the other things I mentioned expand on what comes in MtMtE without being necessary to understand the entire book

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like there is strange subtext in a transformer talking about his people being turned into marketable toys for humans to buy but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is from those panels.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MTME is just awesome and I can't stop gushing about it.

One page is all serious and a good contribution to this thread:

Then the one after is just hilarious:

The juxtaposition of serious and funny is always well done.

(both pages, still MTME #46)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Spinister raising his fist in the air on the right of the panel had me giggling the first time I saw it

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can't go wrong with robots riding robot steeds.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Transformers, More Than Meets The Eye #46

If they actually sold little animals like that instead of just the lovely robots you would find me dead under a pile of them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I want a toy of the armadillo transformer so bad :3:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Armordillo

The only version seems to be bad.

edit - Wait, this one is a bit better http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Dillo

goatface fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 17, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I want a toy of the armadillo transformer so bad :3:

I think you mean Grimlock Squirrel

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Infinitum posted:

I think you mean Grimlock Squirrel

You mean the sort of weasely-looking thing on FM's right shoulder? My daughter isn't even aware of that thing yet but I'm sure she wants one. That thing is completely :3:+:awesomelon:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ManiacClown posted:

You mean the sort of weasely-looking thing on FM's right shoulder? My daughter isn't even aware of that thing yet but I'm sure she wants one. That thing is completely :3:+:awesomelon:.

I think he means the thing on the bottom left.

I'm not sure how having a beast mode makes a transformer "vulnerable", grimlock kicked everyone's rear end all the time.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure how having a beast mode makes a transformer "vulnerable", grimlock kicked everyone's rear end all the time.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, right, that thing. Without even asking her I know my daughter would want the weasel/red panda thing, probably the armadillo, the raccoon-bear (next to the armadillo), and that dragon-goat-giraffe in the upper right just because of how damned weird it is. She'd call it a Robo-Tall Goat because we've played way too much Goat Simulator.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So Grimlock is like.. double retarded now?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Transformers MTMTE #44:

The crew of the Lost Light is visiting the home of the Necrobot, an ancient Cybertronian demi-god who has built a planet sized memorial to all the Cybertronians who have ever lived. He uses his magic powers to flit around the universe, cataloging their deaths.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

So Grimlock is like.. double retarded now?

Well, he was dumb as a post in the 80's Cartoon, but in most comics including IDW he's about as intelligent as you'd expect the leader of a special forces team to be.

Here, he was imprisoned on the same horrible planet that Fort Max was. Then he went missing, and the next time anyone saw him was when the Scavengers pulled him out of a weird rear end spaceship full of blood and wood. "Me Grimlock" was about the best he could manage.

Something hosed him up bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He says a full sentence in #46 which shocks Misfire. Something is up with Grimlock.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

they're being made vulnerable (and marketable). They're basically being mutilated to stay in their beast mode, then having their brains adapted so they can feel all the pain being inflicted on them and have all their speech removed so they can't even cry out

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Man, I looooove this scene.

A bit more context: this is Megatron which even people only remotely aware of the franchise will have heard about. He's always the cackling, evil maniac. Here he's stuck traveling with his sworn enemies and he's slowly coming to terms to the fact he was so absorbed in the means to the end that after millions of years that poo poo piled up massively. The Necrobot had just explained that each statue had at least one flower by them because there are no innocent soldiers in war and that each flower was composed by traces of energy of several dead Cybertronians -- there were no more than six or seven in every statue shown throughout that comic, until that last page.

Megatron is one of the best things about MTMTE and he's merely a recent addition to the cast.

You know what other issue would fit perfectly here? #40, except you'd have to post the whole thing. It's just an important cast member leaving the book, but in the process of leaving he solves quite a few woes of the other crew members because that's the sort of thing he does. It's an awesome farewell story that manages to be pretty touching and inspiring in the process.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm loving the whole 'Megatron coming to terms with his actions' plot and it will make me sad when the status quo inevitably reasserts itself and he goes back to being a homicidal maniac :smith:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's also a great comeback to Nightbeat. He calls Necrobot out on being so committed to noninterference that he'd be willing to let someone die. Necrobot turns that around on him, explaining that every single member of their crew has killed people. And he doesn't judge, they're committed to their ideals, he is committed to his, and each just has to live with the consequences of that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I think that's poorly phrased. They're vulnerable AND have a beast form, since being cute robot animal toys is the point of RoboidsTM, not that they're vulnerable BECAUSE they have a beast form.

Because, no, beastformers haven't been depicted as particularly any weaker or stronger than anyone else in IDW. Grimlock, in particular (along with Scorponok), is a Point One Percenter.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Point one percenters being rarely born transformers that have a lot of natural power from birth, for those unfamiliar.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just assumed Grimlock was an oligarch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I just assumed Grimlock was an oligarch.
Well, he was king of the Autobots for a while.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh, man, I just realized. James Roberts is British, and those flowers are poppies with the colours inverted.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Where would I start if I wanted to get into reading all these really loving good Transformers comics?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Where would I start if I wanted to get into reading all these really loving good Transformers comics?

Transformers More Than Meets The Eye issue number 1.

Available on Amazon on trades/Kindle or digital on Comixology.

Also, don't fret if you find it a bit overwhelming at the start because the book juggles a big cast. Give it about three issues to see if it works for you as you start memorizing who's who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Last Stand of the Wreckers (it's not totally vital, but it's a cool story and does have some repercussions later on)
Death of Optimus Prime (I think this is collected in MTMtE vol. 1)

From here, two series are launched: Transformers: Robots in Disguise and Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye. MTMtE more or less spins out of RiD, but it's not totally vital to read, but it's a good story on its own, if the lesser of the two titles. RiD eventually drops the subtitle.

I do agree that it can be a bit overwhelming, but it's well worth it and Roberts is really good at giving characters their own voices.