Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Twobirds posted:

(Skellige Isle endings) Well, the whole point of the choice is whether you want Skellige ruled by reason and political patience or do you want to maintain the old ways, regardless of what happens? Birna got her wish in a sense, Skellige is a little less backwards if you side with Cerys.

I didn't play through the ending you just did, but I figured Crach was an rear end in a top hat when he was a kid, too. Hjalmar's wisdom will come in time.

There is another ending for Skellige king quest if you don't help either option, and it's intensely metal, I was real pissed when I came across it because it's the one I would've chosen

(uh spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjo57X2WgSQ

You would miss out on a bunch of stuff though I guess if you don't help either of them.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Oh gently caress, that is awesome.

I was wandering around Skellige right after that quest and one of the Skelligers said "I guess that favor Birna did for her son did BEAR a high price." Combined with the fresh mental image of those bears sloshing around in all that blood, it was pretty funny.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

There is another ending for Skellige king quest if you don't help either option, and it's intensely metal, I was real pissed when I came across it because it's the one I would've chosen

(uh spoilers)

You would miss out on a bunch of stuff though I guess if you don't help either of them.

That's amazing :black101:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This might have been answered in some of the spoiler-heavy posts I've been avoiding, but when is the best time to do the DLC content? Based on how the story is going I assume I'm getting to the end of the main campaign (Fought the big battle at Kaer Morhen and just killed The Crones and the general of The Hunt) and I'm at level 30 right now which already seems to be a bit ahead. All the DLC quests showing up on my list have a suggested level of 32, but there are also Witcher Hunts and other things that have levels higher than that. I picked up a sword from a chest recently that had a required level in the mid-40's, so am I supposed to wait until the main campaign is done and then go for all the DLC stuff, or am I wrong about the story being done soon and I should start doing it simultaneously?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This is a good time to do Hearts of Stone really.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

What weapon requires you to be in the mid-40s to use it? I have finished the story, every contract, and HoS DLC and barely made it to 39. I hit level 35 right when I beat the final boss.

The DLC is fine to do after you finish the story. It is a completely separate tale that takes place far away from the final missions in the main story.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You miss a bit of dialogue with Yen, Ciri, and Triss if you wait till the campaign is over. Also you'll have nothing to use the quest rewards on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

the truth posted:

What weapon requires you to be in the mid-40s to use it? I have finished the story, every contract, and HoS DLC and barely made it to 39. I hit level 35 right when I beat the final boss.

It's some generic relic sword that I found at one of the question mark sites north east of Novigrad. Pretty sure I'm not really supposed to be up there yet since everything is way more powerful than me, and suddenly finding gear that restrictive made me think that I wasn't as far along in the story as I thought. Was pretty surprised to see the level requirement since I assumed mastercrafted stuff was the best gear and only has a requirement of 34. The pacing in general seems a bit weird in this game, since you seemingly can't do all the side quests and story missions without inevitably overleveling yourself and getting 1 experience for them which makes you not want to waste your time. Didn't want to spend a bunch of time mopping up all the old primary game content after beating it only to have the same thing start happening for all the DLC content.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't think they designed the game with the idea that players would do every single contract on the map in a single playthrough. Of course you tend to overlevel anyway...

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Is there a good place for builds or should I just google. I just started playing Hearts of Stone and I'm kinda thinking of doing something I haven't before like focusing on alchemy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think they designed the game with the idea that players would do every single contract on the map in a single playthrough. Of course you tend to overlevel anyway...

They didn't count on a loon like me.

WHERE'S MY MEDAL FOR DOING ALL THE SKELLIGE ?S

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Without spoilers, about how far in the game you stop being so strapped for cash? I kinda want to do a respec but I don't think I ever had 1000 crowns at any point, not to mention being able to blow all of them in something totally optional.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
If you loot everything and sell it, you're easily rolling in more than enough cash by, say, level 10.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Well I guess I should go ahead and sell all my stuff except for some of the most valuable materials, because I'm level 10, did a lot of quests and have like 400 crowns. Been selling only weapons and armors I get from enemies/chests. :shepface:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah sell off your stuff and don't forget to convert your coinage at the bank in central Novigrad, that could net you a cool 1000 crowns or more if you haven't done it yet, probably.

If you can stand it I'd wait a few levels to respec, 10 is really early still and I have a hard time seeing how you could completely gently caress a build with that few points/slots.

Edit: that is to say, at your level you'll probably get more bang for your buck buying recipes and crafting some alchemy stuff rather than dropping 1k on a respec.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 17, 2015

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Around the starting area there's a huge battle-field with dozens of bodies you can loot, they all have weapons and other stuff. That's a good windfall if you have the patience.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Around the starting area there's a huge battle-field with dozens of bodies you can loot, they all have weapons and other stuff. That's a good windfall if you have the patience.

As cool as that battlefield is, I also kinda hate it as I can't stop myself from painstakingly looting it clean and picking up every rusty sword, mace, ash pile and whatnot. :spergin: Later in the game I wouldn't care about lovely loot like that, but at that point every platter and broken rake seems useful, and I really want to buy that expensive Temerian armor set before heading off to Vizima.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah sell off your stuff and don't forget to convert your coinage at the bank in central Novigrad, that could net you a cool 1000 crowns or more if you haven't done it yet, probably.

If you can stand it I'd wait a few levels to respec, 10 is really early still and I have a hard time seeing how you could completely gently caress a build with that few points/slots.

Edit: that is to say, at your level you'll probably get more bang for your buck buying recipes and crafting some alchemy stuff rather than dropping 1k on a respec.

Yeah I will wait, I mentioned it because it's something I want to do latter (as in 16, 17...). My build is fine, it's mostly :spergin: because I wasted a point here or there (like that +500 VIT talent) and I want to invest in other signs.

Thanks for the good advice!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 17, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Making my Ursine armor at level 30-whatever, I definitely kept running out of cash and went around doing a few contracts for each sword. I was never "rolling in cash", and I definitely flipped all my loot (but wasn't obsessive about stripping every room).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
get the first tier of improved yrden, go find wraiths and slaughter them mercilesly. They drop emerald dust really often. Stock up a stack of 20 or so and you should be golden. Also, craft your own armor (not the witcher school stuff until you're mid-teens), the viper silver sword you get early on will keep you for a long while.

*Alternatively, download the mod to make all crafted weapons and armors require level 1 and as soon as you have the materials and plans, you can make nice weapons and armor.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Supreme Allah posted:

(uh spoilers)

Oh wow, this is awesome. He definitely gets the short end of the stick in the other versions. But to do this would mean sacrificing a fight with an Ice Giant, so I'm not sure I'd ever do this.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Beat Hearts of Stone and helped Olgierd out. O'dimm gets so mad he starts speaking in tongues and dissolved into fire? I thought he would take losing a bit better than that. At least thought he'd use actual words.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Lareine posted:

Beat Hearts of Stone and helped Olgierd out. O'dimm gets so mad he starts speaking in tongues and dissolved into fire? I thought he would take losing a bit better than that. At least thought he'd use actual words.

No idea what he is saying, but at least he seems to be applauding Geralt for his accomplishment. :golfclap: Might have been a sarcastic slow clap though.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Meta-Mollusk posted:

No idea what he is saying, but at least he seems to be applauding Geralt for his accomplishment. :golfclap: Might have been a sarcastic slow clap though.

If he wanted to congratulate us, he would've said it in our own language.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lareine posted:

If he wanted to congratulate us, he would've said it in our own language.

The fact that he doesn't stick a stake through your head or cause you to snap your neck should be taken as implicit praise. He clearly has no compunction about killing mortals who irritate him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yeah I will wait, I mentioned it because it's something I want to do latter (as in 16, 17...). My build is fine, it's mostly :spergin: because I wasted a point here or there (like that +500 VIT talent) and I want to invest in other signs.

Thanks for the good advice!
I had 50k just lying around towards the end of the game, 1k will seem like not a big deal soon. Crafting all the master level witcher gear sets ate like 45k of that though. Then during the expansion I easily made all the money back (needed for the item enchanter) by selling all the stuff I found just clearing the new locations to the merchants that had like 10k gold each from my previous spending.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Hearts of Stone ending Gaunter apparently is speaking the Elder Speech and a couple other languages in that ending. There's a translation on reddit if you trust it. Something about how Geralt is a stupid primitive and that Gaunter can't actually be killed or banished, he'll get you next time etc etc.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Well I guess I should go ahead and sell all my stuff except for some of the most valuable materials, because I'm level 10, did a lot of quests and have like 400 crowns. Been selling only weapons and armors I get from enemies/chests. :shepface:

Well, you could go back to White Orchard, kill the cows in the pen and loot/sell their hides.
They respawn infinetely and are, quite literally, cash cows.

:laugh:

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 17, 2015

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

Hearts of Stone ending Gaunter apparently is speaking the Elder Speech and a couple other languages in that ending. There's a translation on reddit if you trust it. Something about how Geralt is a stupid primitive and that Gaunter can't actually be killed or banished, he'll get you next time etc etc.

Well that and the reason he doesn't kill Geralt anyway is because he's bound to his own deals. There was very clear wording there and O'Dimm probably didn't think about making a evil-genie clause because only one person has beat him before/

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That riddle was pretty easy for him having only been beaten once before. Guess he got cocky?

I wonder if he's metaphysically bound by his own rules or if he just abides by them 100% of his own free will because otherwise things would be really boring.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

I wonder if he's metaphysically bound by his own rules or if he just abides by them 100% of his own free will because otherwise things would be really boring.

Probably a mixture of both. Maybe he is bound by his own rules but purposely makes it possible to lose just so he can lose every century or so.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That'd be kind of a nifty parallel between him and Olgierd, what with how bored Olgierd was all the time from the heart of stone and all.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Sharmat posted:

That riddle was pretty easy for him having only been beaten once before. Guess he got cocky?

Yeah the riddle itself is easy, what most people probably get tripped up by is the weird nightmare dimension they are transported to and if they're anything like me on my first half dozen attempts run out of time before they even find a reflective surface

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah the riddle itself is easy, what most people probably get tripped up by is the weird nightmare dimension they are transported to and if they're anything like me on my first half dozen attempts run out of time before they even find a reflective surface

yeah even having watched the ending on youtube prior it took me a few attempts before I figured out how to get to the damned mansion.

Also it's real easy to just fall off a cliff and die.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That place was really cool and creepy though, with the soundtrack and lighting and all.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

yeah even having watched the ending on youtube prior it took me a few attempts before I figured out how to get to the damned mansion.

Also it's real easy to just fall off a cliff and die.

I'm not great at timed crap but I just followed lamps to a path to the place and grabbed him easy as pie.

Then I watched some LP's and realized I missed the Viper Silver Sword, and did it again, the second time was harder I guess it's only linear from the very start, if you do any exploring you get turned around.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

It was very easy to solve, but it was also very rigged.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Supreme Allah posted:

(uh spoilers)

fffffffffuck definitely would've gone that route.

The Sharmat posted:

Now I kinda want the bad ending to zoom out and show O'Dimm before the monsters overrun the shack Geralt is in. Or show him getting his revenge on you in some other way.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im sort of stuck. I just got out of white orchard and the chamberlain isnt moving. google has offered me no help. anyway to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My gwent cards just started shipping!

They have to go the whole way across from the wrong side of the country >:(