Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

GOP state Rep. Tony Dale says we can't have Syrian refugees in Texas because it'd be too easy for them to get guns.

I got nothing. I'm done

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Just saw a meme on Facebook saying we've been at peace with Japan since 9-Sep-1945 and that it's time to make peace with Islam. Yup. gently caress.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The reaction to this makes me wish my family had stayed in Canada 300 years ago. What a disgrace.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
Is anyone else surprised that Massachusetts, the land of Elizabeth Warren and only one that voted for McGovern, wants to ban Syrian refugees? Can someone who lives there comment on this? New Hampshire and Maine, sure, they're backwards states, but I thought Massachusetts was a little better than that (a little bit).

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

MySwan posted:

Is anyone else surprised that Massachusetts, the land of Elizabeth Warren and only one that voted for McGovern, wants to ban Syrian refugees? Can someone who lives there comment on this? New Hampshire and Maine, sure, they're backwards states, but I thought Massachusetts was a little better than that (a little bit).

Martha Coakley.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

MySwan posted:

It's also the land of Mitt Romney. Not In My Backyard-ism poo poo now applies to human beings :toot:

This all just further supports the case that reality is no longer imitating Foundation with Donald Trump as the Mule, it's doing Infinite Jest with Donald Trump as Johnny Gentle, running on a platform of cleaning up America. Negotiations about the construction of the Great Wall of USA/Mexico will lay the groundwork for the formation of ONAN during Trump's second term :tinfoil:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm looking forward to 2016, or should I say the Year of Uber.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

MySwan posted:

Republican governor

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Finding extra room in the budget to pay for UHC by introducing subsidized time is exactly the kind of thing Trump would loving do.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

MySwan posted:

Most of Massachusetts is actually rural redneck utopia (and so are the suburbs to a certain degree), it's just that the population of Boston is big enough to pull the state left. And not even Boston per se, you're talking about a city (and state) with a strong history of a business class and conservative puritan upbringing, and up until the 1970s was like 80% white. But it just also happens to be a very large university town that can literally pull the entire state left.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

crazy cloud posted:

It's also the land of Mitt Romney. Not In My Backyard-ism poo poo now applies to human beings :toot:

It's also the land of

Boston has kinda a lovely racist past. Many of the people from their lovely racist past are still alive.

On the plus side, Boston's Mayor appears to understand what #BostonStrong was actually about and is willing to accept refugees if the government places them there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I be worried that the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement has recently been drafted and may or may not become law?

CuckEverlasting
Nov 12, 2015

by zen death robot
American citizens should not be afraid of Syrian Refugees. Syrian Refugees should be afraid of American Citizens. They have guns and are very racist.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't rejecting refugees a great way to piss off the coalition we have going in the Middle East? France is going to intervene no matter what, but it's not the only country in NATO. Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan are also all now full of them.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

Should I be worried that the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement has recently been drafted and may or may not become law?

I would recommend being extremely worried in general on the topic of USPOL it's definitely healthy

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Geoff Peterson posted:

It's also the land of

Boston has kinda a lovely racist past. Many of the people from their lovely racist past are still alive.

On the plus side, Boston's Mayor appears to understand what #BostonStrong was actually about and is willing to accept refugees if the government places them there.

:catstare:

That picture isn't fun to look at please stop invading my personal safe posting space.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

fishmech posted:

Didn't see this posted: US reaches $95.5M settlement in for-profit education case

Here's an interesting part: "Eventually, the Justice Department, 12 states and the District of Columbia intervened and, initially, sought to have Education Management forfeit more than $11 billion it received in federal and state student aid since 2003."

The loan forgiveness for 80,000 of its studentsl seems to be the more significant part of this deal, which is quite encouraging.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AegisP posted:

The loan forgiveness for 80,000 of its studentsl seems to be the more significant part of this deal, which is quite encouraging.

That generally happens when the government shits in the mouth of a for-profit college. Those entire companies are scams where they sign people up who they don't think will be able to finish and then keep all the federal aid they get. The diploma you get if you do finish cost you $100,000 and isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 17, 2015

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

Luckily, there's a thread just for this topic! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13

If you don't want to read that thread (hint: don't read that thread), it appears that the initial leaks were at least somewhat overblown or offbase. Past that, it's a bigass document and there's still a substantial period of time before it comes up for a vote.

EFF appears to dislike it, but while I respect the work they do, asking their opinion on this is like asking Lindsay Graham about an invasion or Donald Trump about a young Eastern European woman. There are some elements that are likely to have slight negative impact to the US. Early reports are a mixed bag for other signatories. Not surprisingly, given the intent of the pact, China gets hosed.

crazy cloud posted:

:catstare:

That picture isn't fun to look at please stop invading my personal safe posting space.

If it helps, everyone involved says that it was horrible timing and a horrible angle on the photo. Apparently, the attacker was swinging the flag at his target rather than trying to impale him.

(I don't think that makes it much less horrible?)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Geoff Peterson posted:

Luckily, there's a thread just for this topic! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725584&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13

If you don't want to read that thread (hint: don't read that thread), it appears that the initial leaks were at least somewhat overblown or offbase. Past that, it's a bigass document and there's still a substantial period of time before it comes up for a vote.

EFF appears to dislike it, but while I respect the work they do, asking their opinion on this is like asking Lindsay Graham about an invasion or Donald Trump about a young Eastern European woman. There are some elements that are likely to have slight negative impact to the US. Early reports are a mixed bag for other signatories. Not surprisingly, given the intent of the pact, China gets hosed.

If it helps, everyone involved says that it was horrible timing and a horrible angle on the photo. Apparently, the attacker was swinging the flag at his target rather than trying to impale him.

I mostly worried about the copyright implications that could stifle the japanese media industries.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Geoff Peterson posted:

That does help kinda, thank you.

Wait why was he waving a flag "at" a "target" :confused: am I using flags wrong have I been using flags wrong this whole time?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Geoff Peterson posted:

"I'm going to use a flag pole as a giant stick to hit this ni-"

Caros
May 14, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

-ce person. That's what you were going to say. Right? Right? :negative:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

*bong*

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to take a picture of a guy using a flag pole as a giant stick to hit this nice person

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

I mostly worried about the copyright implications that could stifle the japanese media industries.

Initial reports has it bumping term up to Life+70 years for countries who weren't already on that level, including Japan. That's the same term as the US, EU and Australia. Again, past that, we'll have to see. Hollywood's put up big money lobbying on this, so if your sole concern is foreign media innovation, you'll probably not be a huge fan.

crazy cloud posted:

That does help kinda, thank you.

Wait why was he waving a flag "at" a "target" :confused: am I using flags wrong have I been using flags wrong this whole time?

I believe the intent is to hit him, as if it's a baseball bat. They didn't have violent video games in those days, so antisocial white men emulated their favorite sportsmen instead! It's why The Green Monster has long been known as the Gamer Gate.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, what is up with Bill Maher? He seems to be getting more crotchety as he gets older. He was on Colbert tonight and absolutely trashed Colbert's Catholicism. Yes, yes, Maher's super anti-religion, that's his main schtick and all, but he would show some sense of cordiality when he was on another person's show at the very least. And on last week's episode, he keeps bringing up these inane strawmen that the left doesn't attack the lovely things that radical Islam does like female circumcision, and killing the gays cause of "political correctness". Like, seriously Bill? Seriously? :psyduck:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
My idiot dipshit Cuban refugee family is staunchly against allowing Syrians to claim amnesty because "they want to destroy our way of life."

Cuban immigrants are the dumbest loving immigrants.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Mr Interweb posted:

Man, what is up with Bill Maher? He seems to be getting more crotchety as he gets older. He was on Colbert tonight and absolutely trashed Colbert's Catholicism. Yes, yes, Maher's super anti-religion, that's his main schtick and all, but he would show some sense of cordiality when he was on another person's show at the very least. And on last week's episode, he keeps bringing up these inane strawmen that the left doesn't attack the lovely things that radical Islam does like female circumcision, and killing the gays cause of "political correctness". Like, seriously Bill? Seriously? :psyduck:

Maher has been trying to be Rush for the leftists since the 90s. He's just as unlikable, but he throws to a more savvy crowd.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The letter Branstad is sending out to people who are pissed about this whole thing and tell him so:

quote:

Dear *NAME REDACTED*,
Thank you for contacting the Governor's office and expressing your concerns about Syrian refugees being placed in Iowa, which has a history of being a welcoming state.

However, in light of the recent acts of terrorism in Paris, Governor Branstad and Lt. Governor Reynolds have told the federal government that the State of Iowa is halting any work on Syrian refugee resettlements happening in the state.

In the past the federal government has failed to be forthcoming and transparent with information on refugee resettlement and immigration issues. Governor Branstad's first priority is to ensure the safety of Iowans. Until the intelligence community can provide a thorough and thoughtful review of refugee background checks and security protocols the federal government should not resettle any refugees in the State of Iowa.

Again, thank you for contacting Governor Branstad's office. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us by calling 515-281-5211.

I have half a mind to call him tomorrow.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Rexicon1 posted:

My idiot dipshit Cuban refugee family is staunchly against allowing Syrians to claim amnesty because "they want to destroy our way of life."

You can just correct that to pretty much any American immigrant.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

The trick here is to recognize that Bill Maher is not only a crypto-bigot with anti-scientific ideas, but also a hack comic whose one-liners would have been outdated in the 70s. Toss him in the garbage pile and don't look back.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Geoff Peterson posted:

It's why The Green Monster has long been known as the Gamer Gate.

I learn something new every day, the universe is a wonderful place, thank you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lotka Volterra posted:

You can just correct that to pretty much any American immigrant.
Anyone except the Native Americans, that is

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

MySwan posted:

Have you ever heard of "Southies"?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Mr Interweb posted:

Bill Maher is a gigantic dickhead who should be ignored and/or guillotined.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So in the race to the bottom on this topic has anyone topped Christie's "we should turn away a 3 yr old orphan because of terrorists" yet?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I don't know, the literal reanimated corpse of Adolf Hitler perhaps?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rexicon1 posted:

To be fair, most of them had express tickets to stand in front of The Glorious Wall of Equality (and bullets), or lose all their land and wealth.

Makes sense that they have lovely political views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

FilthyImp posted:

To be fair, most of them had express tickets to stand in front of The Glorious Wall of Equality (and bullets), or lose all their land and wealth.

Makes sense that they have lovely political views.

This applies to a lot European groups too and it's not an excuse. Ayn Rand had everything taken from her by the Communists and her reaction was gently caress everyone else. She was a terrible person and so are these people. If anything it makes me less sympathetic if this is how some of them treat the weakest among us.

I know it's a minority of Cuban immigrants I'm just pointing out that I'm starting to have zero sympathy for that minority

• Locked thread