Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Artless Meat posted:

Speaking of, are night battles just really rare, or do you only start getting them at a certain tier?

They're pretty rare and I think you only get them at tier 3-4 and up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Reasons not to be a japanese sub

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

On the upside, that floatplane does some great scouting later in a match. Also motherfucking 8 tubes front makes it a monster at loving up BBs and carriers.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Man, after playing subs for awhile, and especially german ones, i don't want to play anything else. They are just so drat fun to play!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So if we manage to do fleet battles tomorrow, we should be able to get enough supply to give people 25% more exp, global exp, commander exp, and silver for awhile. I don't know how that works but eh, we will find one sooner or later.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I feel like the Fubuki is ridiculously good, but I've only played like 4 ships and maybe the free 24h premium is doing some p2w stuff?

Game is fun

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Third World Reggin posted:

So if we manage to do fleet battles tomorrow, we should be able to get enough supply to give people 25% more exp, global exp, commander exp, and silver for awhile. I don't know how that works but eh, we will find one sooner or later.

Is there an estimate when this will happen? Also what kind of murderboat do we need to participate?

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Feindfeuer posted:

Is there an estimate when this will happen? Also what kind of murderboat do we need to participate?

Yeah, id be down for participating just need to know when to be there

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Fleet battles are open 2 hours each Wednesday and Saturday. The thing says 1100 to 1300, but doesn't give a timezone so who knows exactly when.

And the limitations vary from each size group, but the one we're probably gonna do the most is tier 2-4 and allows for 7-10 people. And if I remember right it has limitations on how many of each class and submarines can only be tier 2-3 for it. So as long as everyone doesn't try to get in with a bunch of carriers and subs you can bring whatever.

Oh and our main goal is to just figure out what fleet battles are like and to get on the ranking boards so we can get some extra rewards for just placing. So who cares what everyone brings or does as long as we actually get in.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

hahahahahahahahaha WELCOME TO THE SUB ZONE

XENA I LOVE YOU fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 17, 2015

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Niice! how did you get him, did you buy one of those "personal merit album" with merit?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Jaroslav posted:

Niice! how did you get him, did you buy one of those "personal merit album" with merit?

I spent some money to do the 4 commander gold pick. It seems to always give at least one 3 star or higher guy. He's actually so nice I'm swapping over to the U-Boat line since he makes up for all their short comings.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's a really amazing sub commander. Congrats :)

Played around with the Atlanta last night and this thing is a godamn murder boat. 1 single volley, if you're lucky, can wipe out a DD. Bonus points if you set of a glorious chain reaction as their magazines cook off :getin:

If you angle properly and have some speed + smoke you can also shank BBs by getting in close and torping them, or if you aim is good firing into their super structure. Definitely going to go down the US CA line now as well because it looks like the higher tier US CAs look very nice.

So far I've gotten to tier 5 in German BBs, and Tier 4 in US CAs, German Subs, Nip/US DDs. I've enjoyed all of the ships quite a lot. Might check out the German CAs via the gold / tier swap thing. Not sure yet :).

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am slowly trucking along to get my indepence. It seems I will be the carrier bitch for the fleet again.

This reminds me all too much of Navyfield

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Fleet battles are open 2 hours each Wednesday and Saturday. The thing says 1100 to 1300, but doesn't give a timezone so who knows exactly when.
Must be localized to you because mine says 2100 to 2300. EST, in that case.

Edit: fixed

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 17, 2015

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

So far I've gotten to tier 5 in German BBs, and Tier 4 in US CAs, German Subs, Nip/US DDs. I've enjoyed all of the ships quite a lot. Might check out the German CAs via the gold / tier swap thing. Not sure yet :).

I haven't been too terribly impressed by the German CAs so far. They're basically shittier versions of the Japanese CA line. Really the whole German tree is just kind of lackluster. They're at the spot where they're not unplayable, but they just don't fill any role as well as the other nations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Will the british line include the Furious and more importantly will it include the Furious in it's front-half carrier rear 18" huge rear end cannon setup?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Is this a good submarine game?

I want to be this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwCXFGBXXS4

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 17, 2015

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Illegal Username posted:

i want to be this guy, is this a good submarine game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZSiHfED1Cw

This is a pretty good submarine game. But as a heads up everyone is trying them out so trying to platoon with people in a sub can take ages. Like 70 subs in queue during primetime.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Hmmm, I can't really remember what Dönitz looked like, let's see...

Jup, checks out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I would like this game a lot more if it was a bit less janky looking or ran better. Maybe it would work out if I spent a half an hour futzing around with the settings or something.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Hmmm, I can't really remember what Dönitz looked like, let's see...

Jup, checks out.

Even if he wasn't the dreamboat he is in game, he is at least stupid loving strong. I just got him up to level 3 and his active ability is so good. Its cooldown is about as long as it takes to get enough command stars back to use it, so roughly every 75 seconds I'm doing 5% more torp damage. It's made it so anything that lets me get right outside of the torp arming range dies.

This might be my highest damage game yet thanks to the dumb stuff he lets me pull off. And he's only level 3 right now, once he hits 7 I don't even know if I will be able to play any other ship.

XENA I LOVE YOU fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 17, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Christ, the pubs. Just when you think they can't get any dumber. :shepicide:

Been sunk multiple times by friendly torpedoes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I haven't been too terribly impressed by the German CAs so far. They're basically shittier versions of the Japanese CA line. Really the whole German tree is just kind of lackluster. They're at the spot where they're not unplayable, but they just don't fill any role as well as the other nations.

I was going to make a big sperg post but Grithok is alseep or dead or whatever and I don't remember where sperg_boats.xlsx is. From what I remember off the top of my head German things tend to sit in the middle for both BB/CA with soft stats that appear to favour mid range brawlers. We'll see how things play out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klaus88 posted:

Christ, the pubs. Just when you think they can't get any dumber. :shepicide:

Been sunk multiple times by friendly torpedoes.

Dodging friendly fire is the new meta. Or a game of how many people's names can I make blue.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stanley Pain posted:

Dodging friendly fire is the new meta. Or a game of how many people's names can I make blue.

Friendly torpedoes just add to the depth charge experience.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
Applied as Missing Reel.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This game is basically 3d Navyfield but with slightly less skill involved (the game automatically tells you the area where shots will land rather than finding out after you fire) and with really awesome gun sounds and no horrible grind. The only thing I miss so far is being able to pre-rotate my turrets in a direction that I'm not looking. I bet there's a key for that though.

And contra the OP's warning I think battleship is the ship I wanted, for now at least. Big guns, big range, big damage. Who needs to go fast when you can fire across 2/3 of the map. Or the entire thing if you can get in the middle. Who cares that i can only fire every 20 seconds unless something is in range of my secondaries. it takes about that long to aim for another salvo anyway. BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM.

And lol at all the other battleships that like to stay still so I can take them down blind when they fire. I hope they never learn to use the R and F keys.

Seriously though the gun sounds are amazing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kylra posted:

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM.
Seriously though the gun sounds are amazing.

This is why I play BBs as well. Also the whistle sound just before they land, and the sound of explosions when you get a good pen. :black101:

Can't wait for the British ships to come in.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Kylra posted:

The only thing I miss so far is being able to pre-rotate my turrets in a direction that I'm not looking. I bet there's a key for that though.

If you rotate the guns in the direction you want then either hold right click, or switch to another weapon, they'll keep their facing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Kylra posted:

And lol at all the other battleships that like to stay still so I can take them down blind when they fire. I hope they never learn to use the R and F keys.

I think someone told the pubbies that moving reduces your accuracy, and they believed it. Which is odd because it obviously does not and it takes about thirty seconds of driving a battleship to notice that, but then the average player makes a dinner plate look like an intellectual giant.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I think someone told the pubbies that moving reduces your accuracy, and they believed it. Which is odd because it obviously does not and it takes about thirty seconds of driving a battleship to notice that, but then the average player makes a dinner plate look like an intellectual giant.
Maybe I should perpetuate this rumor then.

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

If you rotate the guns in the direction you want then either hold right click, or switch to another weapon, they'll keep their facing.
What if the guns aren't there yet? Can I look a direction, then hold right click and look around while they turn to where I right clicked and held? Sometimes I am maneuvering and need to look somewhere to make sure I'm not going to hit an island, but I know my guns will need to be on the other side about 10-20 seconds in the future.

Stanley Pain posted:

This is why I play BBs as well. Also the whistle sound just before they land, and the sound of explosions when you get a good pen. :black101:

Can't wait for the British ships to come in.
Whenever I have to look away from the primary salvo I just fired to fire at an oncoming destroyer with my secondaries I cry a little inside.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kylra posted:

Whenever I have to look away from the primary salvo I just fired to fire at an oncoming destroyer with my secondaries I cry a little inside.

But then you get the glorious cacophony of your secondaries melting whatever was stupid enough to get in range. Basically the battle ship is an organ of destruction, it's sweet sounds playing the song of death.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Kylra posted:

What if the guns aren't there yet? Can I look a direction, then hold right click and look around while they turn to where I right clicked and held? Sometimes I am maneuvering and need to look somewhere to make sure I'm not going to hit an island, but I know my guns will need to be on the other side about 10-20 seconds in the future.

Yes, I do this all the time in my cruisers. Just quickly look in the direction you need with the weapon selected, then hold right click or switch weapons to look around.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Yes, I do this all the time in my cruisers. Just quickly look in the direction you need with the weapon selected, then hold right click or switch weapons to look around.
Eeeexcellent. This shall aid me greatly.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

Do we use any sort of voice comms for chilling around in this?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Most of us are on CTS in a misc channel. The largest one down there. We might be popular enough to ask for a custom channel. Or we can use the WOWs channel.

The fleet time is regionalized to your computers setting. Which is amazing. That is why boats game says 1000-1300 or something weird cause he has his computer set to japan time for some japanese games.

Click Fleet, Click Fleet Battle, and the game will tell you based on your time. It is 2000-2200 Central time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Everyone who has applied to the fleet and posted in the thread has been invited so far.

If you got missed, try applying to the fleet since otherwise I have to friend you and wait for you to be around then hope you see the invite message to approve you and I am not doing that poo poo.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

So looking at some stats for battleships, does this seem about right for the general gist of each side? Or do the ships vary so much that your edge in one tier might be different than any other tier?

Japanese battleships tend to have fewer guns that penetrate better but move, reload and aim slower.

US battleships tend to be smaller, move faster and have more guns which all aim and reload faster but have less penetration.

German battleships are between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

Most of us are on CTS in a misc channel. The largest one down there. We might be popular enough to ask for a custom channel. Or we can use the WOWs channel.

The fleet time is regionalized to your computers setting. Which is amazing. That is why boats game says 1000-1300 or something weird cause he has his computer set to japan time for some japanese games.

Click Fleet, Click Fleet Battle, and the game will tell you based on your time. It is 2000-2200 Central time.

03:00-05:00 :cripes:

• Locked thread