Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Robert Denby posted:

AV Club has fully descended into clickbait territory with its column on how YOU GUYS TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE STAR WARS PREQUELS THEY ARE MASTERPIECES OF CINEMA (not linking because you can find it on your own). They make the claim that anyone who doesn’t like the prequels are just parroting Red Letter Media and are stupid doo-doo heads.

It's actually not that horrible an article. It's super wrong and shows a complete misunderstanding both of the Red Letter Media critique and general fan response, but it's not some clicbait article. The author experienced the movies as a child and is trying to communicate why they like them. There are some good points brought up, but the rebuttals of some of the more popular critiques shows a refusal to accept that sometimes we like things that, objectively and to others, are total poo poo.

Also there is an insistence that seems to run through the article that movies don't change and that if you notice the difference in cinematic language and flow between a series from the 70s/80s and one from the 90s/00s the fault lies with you. Despite happening long, long, ago in a galaxy far, far away there are speech, mannerism, costuming, and casting details that inform your perception, subconsciously excusing certain "archaic" aspects of cinema that allow them to work for the Original series but stick out in the prequels.

Also, walking and talking in a blue room really is a bad thing that drags down the film even if everything else was on point. You've got to have some really good dialogue delivered with superb acting to overcome that.

My favorite movie is the 1924 Thief of Baghdad. There's still a lot to love about it and I do still have the nostalgia factor when I see it. However there are also a lot of issues that arise from not only the casual racism of the time but also the difference in the way the movie tells it's story compared to a movie of today. Disregarding or misconstruing critiques of the movie doesn't actually make the movie better. Focusing a large part of a hypothetical article in defense of those critiques instead of the good things, the things that outweigh the bad in my opinion does a disservice to my hypothetical thesis: You should give this a second chance because I think you're overlooking something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Now that we're back to our PYF spoon watch roots it's worth pointing out that Patreon is a garbage platform implemented by morons that relies on user goodwill. It's super easy to be a top tier patron and unsubscribe just before you actually have to pay anything while still getting all the perks.

I guarantee Spoons is not making his current patreon amount.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gyges posted:

It's actually not that horrible an article. It's super wrong and shows a complete misunderstanding both of the Red Letter Media critique and general fan response, but it's not some clicbait article. The author experienced the movies as a child and is trying to communicate why they like them. There are some good points brought up, but the rebuttals of some of the more popular critiques shows a refusal to accept that sometimes we like things that, objectively and to others, are total poo poo.

Also there is an insistence that seems to run through the article that movies don't change and that if you notice the difference in cinematic language and flow between a series from the 70s/80s and one from the 90s/00s the fault lies with you. Despite happening long, long, ago in a galaxy far, far away there are speech, mannerism, costuming, and casting details that inform your perception, subconsciously excusing certain "archaic" aspects of cinema that allow them to work for the Original series but stick out in the prequels.

Also, walking and talking in a blue room really is a bad thing that drags down the film even if everything else was on point. You've got to have some really good dialogue delivered with superb acting to overcome that.

My favorite movie is the 1924 Thief of Baghdad. There's still a lot to love about it and I do still have the nostalgia factor when I see it. However there are also a lot of issues that arise from not only the casual racism of the time but also the difference in the way the movie tells it's story compared to a movie of today. Disregarding or misconstruing critiques of the movie doesn't actually make the movie better. Focusing a large part of a hypothetical article in defense of those critiques instead of the good things, the things that outweigh the bad in my opinion does a disservice to my hypothetical thesis: You should give this a second chance because I think you're overlooking something.

Shut up, we're supposed to be supporting our lord and savior unconditionally.

He will save us through his "Got an A in AP English" level analysis and his sub-Adam Sandler fake voice.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Deport The Irish posted:

Now that we're back to our PYF spoon watch roots it's worth pointing out that Patreon is a garbage platform implemented by morons that relies on user goodwill. It's super easy to be a top tier patron and unsubscribe just before you actually have to pay anything while still getting all the perks.

Yeah, that pisses me off. Mainly because it'd be so easy to code against.

1) Everyone gets their "good will" subscribe. I pledge $2, I get access to the early episodes. Fair enough.
2) I cancel a pledge. Dick move.
3) I then pledge again to the same creator. I pledge $2. But now there's a "cool down" period. I don't get the reward until at least 1 month / episode of pledges has actually cleared my account.

Then just multiple the above. If you cancel / sub more than once, you lose access to ALL rewards across ALL creators until some checks clear. That way you don't get serial assholes subbing and cancelling.

They can also get around multiple accounts if they demand a small payment upfront. "Sign up for an account. Add your credit card / paypal. Add $10 in escrow that can be applied to creators (instantly, not waiting for pay period)."

It's a small barrier to sign ups, but it means the people who do sign up will actually pay.

Also, they suck for not offering a one-off payment for rewards. "Want to request an episode for review. One time payment of $250. It's yours".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He will save us through his "Got an A in AP English" level analysis and his sub-Adam Sandler fake voice.

This but unironically

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Didn't Patreon revise their subscription process recently?

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

They did various unspecified things after being hacked but nothing actually dealing with patron trolls.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Augus posted:

This but unironically

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I think I am old and unhip because it never even occurred to me to scum it for Paetron perks. I just send small amounts of money to producers that I like. :coffeepal:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I don't think depression is something you can recommend.

:thejoke:

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know about subscription processes, but it's true that Patreon recently revised their users' pages to give a more accurate representation of their income. Before it displayed all the money pledged to the creator. Now it only shows the money they make after repeated declined pledges, credit card charges and Patreon overhead.

For example, my Patrons are pledging about $1500 per video I make. That used to be the number displayed on my front page. Now it more accurately reflects what I currently make, which is about $1350 per video.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I just wish Noah would say "Eh I'm done with reviews. I'm gonna be the next DSP and just get mad at games because I'm terrible."

Christ. I'm sympathetic to metal health issues and not to sound like a dick is he using it as a crutch do absolutely nothing? He'll stream a game for literally eight hours straight and tweet 100 times in a day while still saying he works 80 hour weeks.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Spoony has not made a new video in over a month. Anybody knows what is up with that? Did he make any excuses or does simply not care?

Tracula posted:

I'm sympathetic to metal health issues

:rock:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tarquinn posted:

Spoony has not made a new video in over a month. Anybody knows what is up with that? Did he make any excuses or does simply not care?

:rock:

It's actually closer to a year since his last proper review but uh. Thanks for taking my post out of context? He makes plenty of videos of himself streaming a game eight hours straight which was my point and going back to his thing a while back he said he'd get off Twitter, buckle down and actually produce more real reviews.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Boy, this thread is unpleasant of late.

Let's watch Cinema Snob make fun of a bizarre, debatably exploitation movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVevUS2j3Fo

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mischalaniouse posted:

I will freely admit I saw this in theaters with my friend. It was genuinely fascinating because everyone else except the two of us were into it. I know I gave him money but man. Seeing a propaganda film with the target audience is such an experience.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

After reading that, I have to wonder if the author understands that people thought the prequels were bad before Red Letter Media. All they did was teach some filmmaking vocabulary to people on the internet.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

"Tracula" posted:

but uh. Thanks for taking my post out of context?
Huh? What?:confused:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

After reading that, I have to wonder if the author understands that people thought the prequels were bad before Red Letter Media. All they did was teach some filmmaking vocabulary to people on the internet.

How is everyone in this thread so bad at reading comprehension?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Gyges posted:

Holey moley! Another person whose favorite movie is the Thief of Bagdad! What's up Bagdad buddy!

It's worth pointing out that while there is some casual racism, sure, there is a surprisingly progressive portrayal of Islam as a legitimate religion.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tracula posted:

It's actually closer to a year since his last proper review but uh. Thanks for taking my post out of context? He makes plenty of videos of himself streaming a game eight hours straight which was my point and going back to his thing a while back he said he'd get off Twitter, buckle down and actually produce more real reviews.

Lol dude, re-read your post

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Mischalaniouse posted:

I concur. :goleft: Let's watch something fun. :goleft:

root posted:

I'm not sure if this falls under the umbrella of "internet critics"* but I thought I'd share one of my favorite groups o'guys because they've brought me quite a few laughs.

It's Beer and Board Games run by Matt Sloane and Aaron Yonda (two comedy guys, former Channel 101ers, creators of Chad Vader) who pretty much sit around with their pals, get drunk, play board games, and a good time is had by all.

Here's some good episodes to start with...
-Star Trek the VCR Game
-Mr Gameshow
-The Urkel Game
-VH1 Music Trivia

*They talk about whether or not they liked the game and the beers they drink so... :shrug:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Beer and Board games is good and that show where they watch movies in their basement is good and those guys are pretty good I like them a lot.

I mean, how do you diss the Plinkett Reviews

I mean, the Plinkett Reviews by Red Letter Media. Technically they came out in 2012, but more technically they belong to every century, era, eon, whatever you want to say. It is the most formidable piece of art ever filmed, and therefore I think it isn't violating any rules of debate to repeat it. Actually, any system in which talking about the Plinkett Reviews would violate its rules would be by definition a tyranny, since watching the videos, yes, is freedom itself. It is artistic freedom. It is intellectual freedom. It is political freedom. It is even, I dare say, existential freedom.
We are lucky to be alive right now because we are almost as close as you can live to the epicenter of the earthquake that the Plinkett created upon their release in 2012. It is not an exaggeration to say that its release marks the beginning of a revolution of consciousness. The heady and disruptive '60s were merely a prelude to Red Letter Media's arrival.

But you have to understand something. We're not here to watch the reviews. The reviews are here to watch us. In truth, they already have . But we have to watch it watching us. That's our task. As Rich Evans said in 2013 , "There has to be a reason why we're alive and conscious at this point in history." Wink wink. Nudge nudge. He was dumbing it down for the folks sitting cross-legged on the floor when he said that. Yes, there is a reason. To watch the Plinkett Reviews. To allow them to teach us. Who we are. Where we're going. What art is. What life is. What love is. Rich Evans was saying: "watch the drat reviews!"

Are we going to disappoint him?

Did Mister Plinkett gently caress your cat or something

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Beer and Board games is good and that show where they watch movies in their basement is good and those guys are pretty good I like them a lot.

Did Mister Plinkett gently caress your cat or something

I may be drunk, miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be BottledBodhisvata.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

I may be drunk, miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be BottledBodhisvata.
Seriously though we get it dude, you don't like RLM, we don't need another 500 sarcastic posts about how cool he is.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
BottledBodhisvata is at least open about being a rear end in a top hat, TVB is just a douche ho think he is acting smart.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

In discussion about internet critics, I just want to watch more Rich with a reduced level of Jack.

Also I like Spoony's streams a good bit half the time, but I do wish they weren't so here and there on timing. Though I'm one of those people who likes to listen to him yak about wrestling for a few hours at a time, so really just as long as that continues I'm alright.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CountFosco posted:

Holey moley! Another person whose favorite movie is the Thief of Bagdad! What's up Bagdad buddy!

It's worth pointing out that while there is some casual racism, sure, there is a surprisingly progressive portrayal of Islam as a legitimate religion.

I think it's largely due to Islam largely being seen as some exotic, eastern mysticism at the time. The Imam framing the story is pretty awesome though.

Also the greatest dragon that 1920s special effects could imagine. I wonder if most viewers had never seen an iguana before, making it a totally believable dino-dragon.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cinema Snob takes a look at Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVevUS2j3Fo JOY!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

BigRed0427 posted:

Cinema Snob takes a look at Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVevUS2j3Fo JOY!

Same page :cmon:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

God dammit... :smith:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I would say that this thread is starting to consume itself, but it's always consuming itself.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tracula posted:

I just wish Noah would say "Eh I'm done with reviews. I'm gonna be the next DSP and just get mad at games because I'm terrible."

Christ. I'm sympathetic to metal health issues and not to sound like a dick is he using it as a crutch do absolutely nothing? He'll stream a game for literally eight hours straight and tweet 100 times in a day while still saying he works 80 hour weeks.

I don't think he's using it as a crutch, so much as it's the reason he does absolutely nothing. Speaking from experience, once you've fallen into the pit of depression and no motivation, it is horrifyingly difficult to drag yourself out again. It's super frustrating, too, because you know you SHOULD be able to just shape up and go back to being a functional member of society, but for some invisible reason you just loving can't, and you can't explain why.

Though admittedly he should take an honest look at his current capabilities and just admit that he's not going to be able to pull off any effort videos any time soon. It'd be better for him and his fans alike. Maybe the dude can just switch to being the best get-mad-at-games guy he can be and enjoy that work.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Ah made a fing about a Jared Leto moovee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dOuLR-BkI

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KKall posted:

I haven't ever heard someone pronounce Jared "Leedo" like that before.

Also, WHAT.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KKall posted:

I watched the review yesterday. Loved it although I will admit my brain started to short circuit when it came to the existentialism explanation. :zombie:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, I was on board for most of it but then the philosophy happened and I don't think it was explained poorly, but I still ended up giving up and tuning out until we were done. Of course, I'm awful at philosophy in general. I am bad at that level of abstraction!

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I liked that movie a lot more until your video taught me how derrivitive it is. :shittypop:

I can deal with homage but that's pretty rediculous. Also Rick and Morty really did do the same concept much better.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
I can't believe these Patreons control the fate of the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Well, I followed the dasein stuff in Kyle's new video easily enough.

*existential fist bump*

• Locked thread