Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I just play the game and kill things. Sucks for some of you that can't get past your autism because your character doesn't get to be a trans dolphin who fought in the civil war and was transported four hundred years into the future.

I love the game and think most of the flak it's getting is disingenuous, but you can't honestly tell me with a straight face that giving the player less agency in a genre all about player agency was a wise move on Bethesda's part. In the past you had varying degrees of choice as to who your character was and what they wanted, but in FO4 you're basically playing the same character over and over again, something that's exacerbated somewhat by the jack-of-all-trades approach to leveling. I might be able to replay for a different ending but I'm going to be the same guy every time, just with a different face. The dissonance experienced from having this incredibly urgent quest to rescue your son while the game encourages you to waste time looting scrap, building settlements, and helping robots do robot things put a huge damper on what was otherwise a decent narrative - probably the best Bethesda's crafted since Morrowind, but it's despite the concrete main character, not because of it.

I realize this is all Greek to you as someone who just plays to kill things. Question: why play Fallout? Other games do gunplay better and still have a post-apocalyptic aesthetic like Rage or Mad Max. Why not play them? Why is Fallout your go-to "I just play to kill poo poo" game, with all the heaps of exposition, lore, character interaction, etc? Saying "this problem doesn't matter because Fallout is just a murder hobo sim" isn't a valid defense, because to most people Fallout is so much more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Just had an incident involving a barn and two Vertibirds, I was near the Glowing Sea and I saw laser fire coming from a nearby Super Mutant camp, so I head over and see a Vertibird go smashing into the side of it causing a huge explosion, which kills the Suicider holding his nuke who also explodes which triggers a parked lorry nearby which also explodes, then a second Vertibird appears to fight the remaining Mutants, and this one also smashes into the barn and explodes.

All that remained were two very angry Super Mutants with barely any health left.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 were super good games but I feel weird when anyone praises the writing. They both were like 95% just reused plots from popular fiction. Which is fun and cool to play through but just stealing scenes from the planet of the apes or mad max or a boy and his dog or whatever isn't really "writing".

Like the whole origin of the entire 'master' plot (and the super mutants) is taking the master blaster "combined organism" line too literally from thunder dome.

When they praise the writing, they're not talking about the plot. They're talking about how if they want to use their speech skill to convince the bad guy that his plan isn't gonna work, they can do that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

doctor iono posted:

Lol are there really fans out there who were clamoring for a peek at pre war america? Hint: its the 50s

This is an idiotic post and frankly you should feel bad for making it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Deified Data posted:

I realize this is all Greek to you as someone who just plays to kill things. Question: why play Fallout? Other games do gunplay better and still have a post-apocalyptic aesthetic like Rage or Mad Max. Why not play them? Why is Fallout your go-to "I just play to kill poo poo" game, with all the heaps of exposition, lore, character interaction, etc? Saying "this problem doesn't matter because Fallout is just a murder hobo sim" isn't a valid defense, because to most people Fallout is so much more than that.

Fwiw I honestly think the specific gameplay loop that Fallout 4 does of shooting, leveling up, crafting, etc is more engaging than pretty much any other FPS game I can think of. Especially open world FPS games, although that's a very limited category.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

Fwiw I honestly think the specific gameplay loop that Fallout 4 does of shooting, leveling up, crafting, etc is more engaging than pretty much any other FPS game I can think of. Especially open world FPS games, although that's a very limited category.

I agree 100% - it just seems like if all you want to do is kill poo poo, Fallout as a series wastes a tremendous amount of time on not killing poo poo. Like sometimes you can talk to poo poo so you don't have to kill it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

When they praise the writing, they're not talking about the plot. They're talking about how if they want to use their speech skill to convince the bad guy that his plan isn't gonna work, they can do that.

Yes, pretty much this.

I like to use the Caesar's brain tumor quest from New Vegas as an example. Here are the ways it can go, assuming you agree to help at all:
  • Repair an auto-doc to do surgery on his tumor. This is the "default" option.
  • Sell a doctor (and potential companion) into slavery to Caesar's Legion to do the surgery. This is the "I'm a huge dick" option.
  • Convince them to let you do the surgery with a dialog check that requires 75 Medicine. Alternatively, convince them to let you do the surgery with a different dialog check that requires 65 Speech.
  • Fail at the surgery if you don't have 75 Medicine and used Speech to do it, resulting in Caesar's death. Now you can either become villified with the Legion or talk your way out of it with a difficult Speech check.
  • Intentionally kill Caesar during the surgery if you do have 75 Medicine; see above for possible consequences.
  • Succeed at Caesar's surgery with 75 Medicine.
  • Succeed at Caesar's surgery with 9 Luck, and get a new option afterwards to reflect that your character has no loving idea how he/she pulled that off.
This is a relatively short and somewhat minor quest in Fallout: New Vegas, but it illustrates how quests were designed in that game. They're extremely open-ended. As a result, there are fewer quests and a smaller world than Fallout 3's, but I think it's worth it. It's quality over quantity with the quests. Fallout 4 is strongly in the quantity over quality camp instead: there are lots and lots of quests, but once you're doing them your choices and what perks you have don't matter all that much.3

When some of us, or at least when I talk about how Fallout 4's quest design and roleplaying potential is less than previous games, this is what I mean. The set-in-stone backstory is honestly a very small aspect of it (were it not baked into most of the conversations in the main story quests, but whatever) and I'd be fine with it in the end if the quest design wasn't also really linear.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

PantsBandit posted:

This is an idiotic post and frankly you should feel bad for making it.

wow i'm so sorry i didnt realize you were so invested in the part of the setting that doesn't even loving matter and just sets up the actual setting. it's a parody, it's a cultural reference point

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

doctor iono posted:

wow i'm so sorry i didnt realize you were so invested in the part of the setting that doesn't even loving matter and just sets up the actual setting. it's a parody, it's a cultural reference point

When did I say I'm super invested in it? I just said your post was stupid. And it was. It's objectively not just "the 50's" and there's plenty of reason people would be interested in seeing how the world functioned after the timeline split post-wwII and before the bombs fell.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Deified Data posted:

For me it's the weird retrofuture aesthetic that draws me in.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

missed the last 3k posts because the game came out

hope you guys are havin' fun

thanks for reading, god bless

now back to fallout!!!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's cool that you have so many options new vegas, and I do miss having dialog options based on your stats and poo poo, but I never really cared about what was happening in that game

I didn't in fallout 3 either, but the world was more fun to explore and that's what I'm here for

the core gameplay in fallout 4 is far more refined than either of those games (it's still the same poo poo but a little better) while also having a more dense, content filled world to explore and so I like it a lot. tho one problem I have is that a lot of the incidental reading is really boring. maybe I shouldn't expect every terminal to be interesting, but I do expect something more than what is there

e: like I don't think the main plot is really the point in any of the games. it should be better, but it's not what I'm here for

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

i enjoy this game and i have found enjoyment in the story and the setpieces so far

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
When upgrading armor, you can apply upgrades from lower tier armor to higher tier ones. This means that instead of needing level 4 armorer to upgrade heavy combat armor, for example, you only need 1 or 2. Just upgrade the low tier armor, remove upgrade, apply upgrade to high tier armor.

tl;dr getting more than 2 (3 for a few upgrades) points in armorer is a waste. (unless there's some other use for armorer I haven't found)

this has probably already been posted but :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Deified Data posted:

I play fallout because it's a fun setting to play in. I like exploring old ruins, finding cool items and reading interesting info in the terminals littered around the world. I don't roleplay as anything, I just play the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

For me it's the weird retrofuture aesthetic that draws me in.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

PantsBandit posted:

When did I say I'm super invested in it? I just said your post was stupid. And it was. It's objectively not just "the 50's" and there's plenty of reason people would be interested in seeing how the world functioned after the timeline split post-wwII and before the bombs fell.

i guess if you're talking about lore and history and stuff? but the game doesn't show you that at all.

culturally, aesthetically, they're pretty identical. alt-50s life is the same as real-50s life, but with nuclear powered everything. it doesn't seem to have a huge effect on the way people live their lives.

like, the pre-war setting is just a means to an end. it's there so they can have a post-apocalyptic wasteland with 50s aesthetics and themes. is it really that interesting to people?

like, when i was watching mad max, i wasn't wondering to myself "wow i wonder what society was like before all this!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

i enjoy this game and i have found enjoyment in the story and the setpieces so far

I don't think the story is as bad as people in this thread make it out to be and there are some cool things that happen in it. I like the blade runner theme it has going

there are things that I don't like about it also but I don't think it brings the game down any

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

e: like I don't think the main plot is really the point in any of the games. it should be better, but it's not what I'm here for

''The main storyline of this RPG is irrelevant''

Sorry, I don't want to pick on you, but now we're just saying whatever at this point.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dezztroy posted:

When upgrading armor, you can apply upgrades from lower tier armor to higher tier ones. This means that instead of needing level 4 armorer to upgrade heavy combat armor, for example, you only need 1 or 2. Just upgrade the low tier armor, remove upgrade, apply upgrade to high tier armor.

tl;dr getting more than 2 (3 for a few upgrades) points in armorer is a waste. (unless there's some other use for armorer I haven't found)

this has probably already been posted but :shrug:

Had no idea - this'll be useful for shadowing my heavy combat armor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

frajaq posted:

I liked that I was initially confused by one of their battlecries. "Humans made us! NOW SUFFER!"

And then you can actually find out what that was about

I'm still pissed that every game since Fallout completely ignores the peaceful Super Mutants you help learn to live with humans in harmony. They also ignore the intelligent and civil/peaceful Deathclaw tribe. Motherfuckers, letm e talk to a deathclaw. Aren't you the people who made the mudcrab merchant? know it's been over a decade, when did yall lose the magic?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ravenkult posted:

''The main storyline of this RPG is irrelevant''

Sorry, I don't want to pick on you, but now we're just saying whatever at this point.

the point is to go explore a big cool post apocalyptic future

in bethesda games, the story takes a backseat to the world and that has been the case since at least oblivion (I don't really remember morrowind at this point)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khanstant posted:

I'm still pissed that every game since Fallout completely ignores the peaceful Super Mutants you help learn to live with humans in harmony. They also ignore the intelligent and civil/peaceful Deathclaw tribe. Motherfuckers, letm e talk to a deathclaw. Aren't you the people who made the mudcrab merchant? know it's been over a decade, when did yall lose the magic?

You can return a deathclaw's egg to its nest and it helpfully gives you a piece of trash melee weapon before you instantly murder it for exp.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Michael Kirkbride quit after writing 18 walls of text for Morrowind. :911:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Do you really have to ask why people play Fallout instead of two games that are almost nothing like Fallout in gameplay design? They are post-apocalyptic but they are not at all the same style of design.

Khanstant posted:

They also ignore the intelligent and civil/peaceful Deathclaw tribe. Motherfuckers, letm e talk to a deathclaw.

One of the pre-Bethesda writers whined about this so now it is worse than Hitler, sorry.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's cool that you have so many options new vegas, and I do miss having dialog options based on your stats and poo poo, but I never really cared about what was happening in that game

I didn't in fallout 3 either, but the world was more fun to explore and that's what I'm here for

I didn't play Fallout 3 around release time so I guess you can call me biased or whatever, but I played New Vegas and loving loved it and was engaged with the world. You had Fiends and Vipers and Powder Gangers and their bases, you could do quests for the Powder Gangers and I had no idea until my third playthrough. You had Jamestown and Black Mountain and the Repconn super mutants, and multiple mutants with personalities that you could talk with instead of shooting in the face. You had the Great Khans who were tucked away in their camp and could be totally missed, you had the Strip factions... then the NCR and Legion. Every town and settlement had something going on and it all made sense and there was a ton of poo poo to do and the world felt alive.

Then I tried playing Fallout 3. You had... a green-gray world full of bombed out buildings blocking your path, a metro system which was your only way of getting to the city, scattered settlements which made no consistent sense, badly-acted characters with poor dialogue, quests to Kill Animal or Kill Raiders, rocks and cliffs and radioactive water. And I tried, I tacked the game world onto the Mojave Wasteland with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod and yet I still wanted to spend my time in the Mojave. It was like pulling teeth trying to get me to finish the story quest there, exploring wasn't fun because of the loving albino radscorpions, feral ghoul reavers, deathclaws and yao guai and most of it was barren and lifeless. Also where are "all the quests" people were talking about in Fallout 3? Outside of Megaton there wasn't anything going on that I could find, it was just empty nothingness and everything was ugly and bland.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

When some of us, or at least when I talk about how Fallout 4's quest design and roleplaying potential is less than previous games, this is what I mean. The set-in-stone backstory is honestly a very small aspect of it (were it not baked into most of the conversations in the main story quests, but whatever) and I'd be fine with it in the end if the quest design wasn't also really linear.

The Silver Shroud quest really made me miss New Vegas. There was an ending scenario in that quest that I thought I'd have a small group of choices to make. Most I found I could do in the dialogue was maybe scare away a few thugs that would literally die to anything I shot at them anyway. All the options seemed to end in the exact same scenario, angry boss shoots friend.I solved that quest by doping up on drugs, going into VATs and double headshotting both people coded to shoot my friend before they even could. Took a few tries with how long you stay in VATS while not shooting. Yeah, a bullet, great, but why the gently caress are you waiting 30 seconds to start the next shot?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Khanstant posted:

Tactics have this to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Khanstant posted:

They also ignore the intelligent and civil/peaceful Deathclaw tribe. Motherfuckers, letm e talk to a deathclaw.

The "fallout bible" mentions a few times that they made the system to add little flavor text dialog over things too easy so they added it to everything in fallout 2 and really regret all the wacky talking plants and animals and machines and stuff they gave fluff to and mention that all the talking animals in the world died off at the end of fallout 2 for no reason.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Khanstant posted:

The Silver Shroud quest really made me miss New Vegas. There was an ending scenario in that quest that I thought I'd have a small group of choices to make. Most I found I could do in the dialogue was maybe scare away a few thugs that would literally die to anything I shot at them anyway. All the options seemed to end in the exact same scenario, angry boss shoots friend.I solved that quest by doping up on drugs, going into VATs and double headshotting both people coded to shoot my friend before they even could. Took a few tries with how long you stay in VATS while not shooting. Yeah, a bullet, great, but why the gently caress are you waiting 30 seconds to start the next shot?

You didn't try all the options very hard then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Also where are "all the quests" people were talking about in Fallout 3? Outside of Megaton there wasn't anything going on that I could find, it was just empty nothingness and everything was ugly and bland.

I can only assume your mod was broken if you couldn't find any quests in the game outside of the first city. There's at least one other major city. FO:NV and FO4 have way more populated wastelands but also have the benefit of building off an existing groundwork.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Do you really have to ask why people play Fallout instead of two games that are almost nothing like Fallout in gameplay design? They are post-apocalyptic but they are not at all the same style of design.

One of the pre-Bethesda writers whined about this so now it is worse than Hitler, sorry.

Whined about it in what way? Like hell, that was one of the better quest lines in that game and it was buggy/broken as gently caress without the fan fixes. It's dumb Deathclaws are mindless killer machiens across the board. Things have huge brains, no reason to make them just more bullet fodder.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't play Fallout 3 around release time so I guess you can call me biased or whatever, but I played New Vegas and loving loved it and was engaged with the world. You had Fiends (murdered) and Vipers (murdered) and Powder Gangers (murdered) and their bases, you could do quests for the Powder Gangers and I had no idea until my third playthrough. You had Jamestown and Black Mountain and the Repconn super mutants (murdered), and multiple mutants with personalities that you could talk with instead of shooting in the face. You had the Great Khans (murdered) who were tucked away in their camp and could be totally missed, you had the Strip factions... then the NCR and Legion (murdered). Every town and settlement had something going on and it all made sense and there was a ton of poo poo to do and the world felt alive.

:v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The "fallout bible" mentions a few times that they made the system to add little flavor text dialog over things too easy so they added it to everything in fallout 2 and really regret all the wacky talking plants and animals and machines and stuff they gave fluff to and mention that all the talking animals in the world died off at the end of fallout 2 for no reason.

Yeah well, that was like the 90s, right? People were on some kind of gritty dark pills back then and had no perspective on this sort of thing. Talking plants is a bit goofy, I guess, literally the core universe concept is goofy as gently caress, but whatever. Talknig Deathclaws made sense. Mutated dudes with big bodies and big brains should be able to not be spastic wasteland retards

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://i.imgur.com/oxm02JN.png

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Whined about it in what way? Like hell, that was one of the better quest lines in that game and it was buggy/broken as gently caress without the fan fixes. It's dumb Deathclaws are mindless killer machiens across the board. Things have huge brains, no reason to make them just more bullet fodder.

Chris Avellone really disliked them and wrote "BTW, the talking deathclaws were destroyed at the end of Fallout 2. Xarn and Goris did not go on to create a new species. They are gone. Kaput. Icon sic Goodbye. In fact, any mutant animal that talks can safely be assumed to have died at the end at the exact minute that Fallout 2 was over. Any last words, talking animals? I thought not."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

Yeah well, that was like the 90s, right? People were on some kind of gritty dark pills back then and had no perspective on this sort of thing. Talking plants is a bit goofy, I guess, literally the core universe concept is goofy as gently caress, but whatever. Talknig Deathclaws made sense. Mutated dudes with big bodies and big brains should be able to not be spastic wasteland retards

Outside the Fallout bible saying they're all dead anyway, wasn't FO2 bugged so that there was no way for that quest to end without them all being murdered by the Enclave or someone anyway?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

http://i.imgur.com/oxm02JN.png

I would have gone with Hotline Miami. :haw:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I can only assume your mod was broken if you couldn't find any quests in the game outside of the first city. There's at least one other major city. FO:NV and FO4 have way more populated wastelands but also have the benefit of building off an existing groundwork.

yeah new vegas and fallout 4 are incredibly iterative of fallout 3. I think it's important to keep in mind the time those games were released, and also that they aged like milk in a lot of ways. the gameplay is rear end in both of the most recent fallout games preceding this one, like you couldn't even run without modding the game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

You didn't try all the options very hard then.

Well I'm not going to save scum forever for dialogue checks and I'm not going to put points in CHA for something so poorly written. Anyway, I'm ultimately glad I took the double headshot route. They clearly designed this scenario so that the friend dies if you don't play along, but using their own engine against them I bypassed the proper triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't play Fallout 3 around release time so I guess you can call me biased or whatever, but I played New Vegas and loving loved it and was engaged with the world. You had Fiends and Vipers and Powder Gangers and their bases, you could do quests for the Powder Gangers and I had no idea until my third playthrough. You had Jamestown and Black Mountain and the Repconn super mutants, and multiple mutants with personalities that you could talk with instead of shooting in the face. You had the Great Khans who were tucked away in their camp and could be totally missed, you had the Strip factions... then the NCR and Legion. Every town and settlement had something going on and it all made sense and there was a ton of poo poo to do and the world felt alive.

Then I tried playing Fallout 3. You had... a green-gray world full of bombed out buildings blocking your path, a metro system which was your only way of getting to the city, scattered settlements which made no consistent sense, badly-acted characters with poor dialogue, quests to Kill Animal or Kill Raiders, rocks and cliffs and radioactive water. And I tried, I tacked the game world onto the Mojave Wasteland with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod and yet I still wanted to spend my time in the Mojave. It was like pulling teeth trying to get me to finish the story quest there, exploring wasn't fun because of the loving albino radscorpions, feral ghoul reavers, deathclaws and yao guai and most of it was barren and lifeless. Also where are "all the quests" people were talking about in Fallout 3? Outside of Megaton there wasn't anything going on that I could find, it was just empty nothingness and everything was ugly and bland.

You aren't delusional, NV was in a different league in terms of enjoyment compared to Fallout 3. I haven't completed a main quest of a Bethesda made game since Oblivion, and that barely counts because by that point I was noclipping through every section in Oblivion itself.

They do a lot right, but they can't make a decent RPG sadly. They do make all the tools for other people to make a decent one though.

• Locked thread