Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's an neat game and unlike any of the others you mentioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

This is a list of 2+ player games that I own:

Codenames
Pictomania
Reef Encounter
Carcassone
Keyflower
Inhabit the Earth
Pillars of the Earth
Puerto Rico
Chaos in the Old World + Exp
Game of Thrones Boardgame 1st Edition + Exp
Dominion Base + Intrigue
Love Letter
Bohnanza
Phase 10
Wizard
Hanabi
Death Angel
Werewolf
51 State New Era
Warhammer Diskwars
Blood Bowl Team Manager + Exp
Game of Thrones LCG 1st Edition
Pandemic
Space Alert
Forbidden Desert
Mage Knight + LL
All Creatures big and small
Dungeon Twister
Tash Kalar
Twilight Struggle
Fields of Arle
Battles of Westeros
W1815
Nuklear winter 68
Churchill
Fire in the Lake
Cuba Libre
Descent 1st Edition + Exp
Doom + Exp

My question is:

Am I missing anything (a genre or game mechanic, etc) that I should add to that list?

I'm missing a hidden movement (looking at Specter Ops or new Fury of Dracula) and a traitor (can't stand BSG anymore) game from the top of my head...

Anything else? Looking to round up my collection.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Maybe an auction game? I've heard Ra's the king. Cyclades may be more accessible

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I've heard good things about The Gallerist and was thinking of pickin it up but wanted to see if any goons have had a chance to play it and what their thoughts are about the game?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

jng2058 posted:

But are there any war/strategy games that support three players well? If so, how do they avoid the usually inevitable end results of 1) One player is ignored while the other two fight, and that one player almost certainly wins, or 2) Two players team up against the third, and that player almost certainly loses?

Maria: War game that basically has one player play two sides against each other...sort of. It works!

Three Kingdoms Redux: along with mechanics that put players farther ahead in a weaker spot turn-order wise, there is a mechanic that makes 2nd and 3rd player in turn-order (determined by basically who did the most stuff last turn) automatically "ally" against the 1st player. No alliances otherwise.

Churchill: While it's a VP game, being ahead at the end of the game by a large enough margin will actually make you lose points and last place gain points. The game being about three nations trying to make peace but still have an advantage post-war, the rules give incentive to winning but not by too much.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To expand on Churchill, what Trynant said isn't actually correct and a little bit more complex. The way the game works is that it has 3 victory conditions:

1. If both Japan and Germany have surrendered, and the difference between the first and last player is <=15 points, the first player wins.
2. If both Japan and Germany surrendered and the difference between the first and last player is >15 points, the second player wins (you can roll a dice and add that as well if you want slightly more randomness as well).
3. If both Japan and Germany haven't surrendered, the first and second player lose a random amount of points and the last player gains points, and whoever is first after that wins.

The end game incentives are really crazy and hard to analyse, but in my last game I was last as the UK, with the US so far ahead that his only chance of victory was to prevent Japan from surrendering, and thus it was a fight between me and the USSR to see who would become second. I managed to win after a successful invasion of Japan :v:

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've heard good things about The Gallerist and was thinking of pickin it up but wanted to see if any goons have had a chance to play it and what their thoughts are about the game?

I've only played the solitaire variant several times but I enjoy it a lot. Each time I want to try again and improve. There's a variety of things to do and ways to earn points (like investing, collecting, and bidding at auction) and each of them is integrated well with the theme. The components look and feel fantastic.

My one big complaint is that many of the actions you can choose from have a good number of steps to them, some of which are easy to overlook completely. Each action is meant to impact your reputation, the reputation of the artists, and/or the visitors in your gallery, but that means you are moving four or five different pieces around with each action. There are printed reminders on the board, but you may need to be glued to the rulebook for the first few attempts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've played it twice with real people now. It's a very good game, but it can be tough for some people.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Selecta84 posted:

Am I missing anything (a genre or game mechanic, etc) that I should add to that list?

I'm missing a hidden movement (looking at Specter Ops or new Fury of Dracula) and a traitor (can't stand BSG anymore) game from the top of my head...

Hidden movement -ish I'd recommend Tragedy Looper (although it's not actual secret board movement it certainly is 1 player with secret information and other players trying to reveal that information).

Traitor game in the BSG vein (i.e. not Mafia more big coop'ish thing with traitor), Archipelago is still my favorite game.

Not sure I noticed any outright economic games in that collection. Euros, yes, but "he who has most money and buys things wins" kind of stuff seems a little absent. Acquire is the most entry-level of the genre, but probably too filler. The deep end would be 18XX-style games (1830 being the most widely available), but you're looking into stuff as complicated if not more than the GMT games you own.

I may have glanced over one, but I'm not seeing any route-building games. Stuff like Power Grid and Brass are good here.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Triumph and Tragedy is a new block war game by gmt for 3 players. No experience with it though

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Selecta84 posted:

Codenames
Pictomania
Reef Encounter
Carcassone
Keyflower
Inhabit the Earth
Pillars of the Earth
Puerto Rico
Dominion Base + Intrigue
Love Letter
Bohnanza
Phase 10
Wizard
Hanabi
Death Angel
Werewolf
51 State New Era
Warhammer Diskwars
Pandemic
Space Alert
Forbidden Desert
Mage Knight + LL
Dungeon Twister
Tash Kalar
Twilight Struggle
Fields of Arle
Battles of Westeros
W1815
Nuklear winter 68
Churchill
Fire in the Lake
Cuba Libre
Doom + Exp

My question is:

You are missing both Agricola, and Talisman: The Magical Quest game. You have Mage Knight though, so this sin can be forgiven for a time.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You are sorely missing Diskwars expansions.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

Codenames
Pictomania
Reef Encounter
Carcassone
Keyflower
Inhabit the Earth
Pillars of the Earth
Puerto Rico
Dominion Base + Intrigue
Love Letter
Bohnanza
Phase 10
Wizard
Hanabi
Death Angel
Werewolf
51 State New Era
Warhammer Diskwars
Pandemic
Space Alert
Forbidden Desert
Mage Knight + LL
Dungeon Twister
Tash Kalar
Twilight Struggle
Fields of Arle
Battles of Westeros
W1815
Nuklear winter 68
Churchill
Fire in the Lake
Cuba Libre
Doom + Exp

My question is:

Letters from Whitechapel is a decent hidden movement one, and you can play it 2p.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lord Frisk posted:

Maybe an auction game? I've heard Ra's the king. Cyclades may be more accessible

Yeah, I miss one of those. Can Isle of Sky be considered an auction game? I like the theme and it would also be another tile laying game for those who can't stand Carcassone anymore.

Trynant posted:

Hidden movement -ish I'd recommend Tragedy Looper (although it's not actual secret board movement it certainly is 1 player with secret information and other players trying to reveal that information).

Traitor game in the BSG vein (i.e. not Mafia more big coop'ish thing with traitor), Archipelago is still my favorite game.

Not sure I noticed any outright economic games in that collection. Euros, yes, but "he who has most money and buys things wins" kind of stuff seems a little absent. Acquire is the most entry-level of the genre, but probably too filler. The deep end would be 18XX-style games (1830 being the most widely available), but you're looking into stuff as complicated if not more than the GMT games you own.

I may have glanced over one, but I'm not seeing any route-building games. Stuff like Power Grid and Brass are good here.

Hm, Acquire could be a possibility. My playgroup plays mostly during the week and we don't have that much time so a shorter or easier game would likely hit the table more often. I don't really think they would ever play a 18xx game.

Yean, I don't really have a route building game. Brass sounds good...

Rutibex posted:

You are missing both Agricola, and Talisman: The Magical Quest game. You have Mage Knight though, so this sin can be forgiven for a time.

Nah, Fields of Arle is enough Rosenburg for me and I don't really like roll and move games

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lichtenstein posted:

You are sorely missing Diskwars expansions.

One of my buddies really likes the game and is going to buy another core set and then I will get the add ons.

Sloober posted:

Letters from Whitechapel is a decent hidden movement one, and you can play it 2p.

I will consider it

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Selecta84 posted:

One of my buddies really likes the game and is going to buy another core set and then I will get the add ons.

I approve of your friend.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I haven't played it much, but Stockpile is fun, plays in less than an hour, and is about as pure of a trading/auction game as it gets. I liked Hab & Gut even better, but then I learned it's out of print and unlikely to get reissued.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Selecta84 posted:

Dark Moon might be a good BSG replacement for you. It's basically the same game but condensed to the minimum, so it hits most of the same notes but is much quicker paced. Lacks a bit of theme in comparison though, and if you hate dice or they hate you, stick to BSG. You didn't mention the reason why you can't stand BSG anymore, but if it's game duration, definitely look at DM.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

theroachman posted:

Dark Moon might be a good BSG replacement for you. It's basically the same game but condensed to the minimum, so it hits most of the same notes but is much quicker paced. Lacks a bit of theme in comparison though, and if you hate dice or they hate you, stick to BSG. You didn't mention the reason why you can't stand BSG anymore, but if it's game duration, definitely look at DM.

Played BSG too much and I got fed up with it. I don't really feel like playing it anymore.

I will look into Dark Moon.

CaptainRightful posted:

I haven't played it much, but Stockpile is fun, plays in less than an hour, and is about as pure of a trading/auction game as it gets. I liked Hab & Gut even better, but then I learned it's out of print and unlikely to get reissued.

Amazon.de has Hab und Gut for 60 Euros... Care to give a few more details about the game?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 17, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Selecta84 posted:

Amazon.de has Hab und Gut for 60 Euros... Care to give a few more details about the game?

It's a stock buying/selling game. There are 6 goods and their current value is displayed on a central track. There are cards that will manipulate the value of the goods. They indicate a +/- value for a particular good. Every player shares one set of cards with the player on their left and their right, so everyone has access to two different sets of communal cards. These cards are stored in holders between adjacent players.

On your turn you either buy or sell 1-3 goods from the supply at the current market price. You can choose to give a good to charity - these will be sold off at the end of the game at the current market price. You then manipulate the market by playing one card at full value from one card holder and then another card from the other card holder at half value.

After all cards have been played, all goods given to charity are sold off at market value, the cards returned, and that money placed on the charity board. More cards are drawn and placed in the card holders. This is done for 2 rounds.

You win by amassing the most money and by not being the person to give the least to charity.

e: It's pretty simple, but a good game. I don't know if I'd spend 50+ Euro on it though...

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Selecta84, I noticed that Chaos in the Old World is on that great list of yours (as well as the impossible to find at a reasonable price Pillars of the Earth, thanks for taunting me) and because it's something I've had my eye on for a long time, how do you like it? Is it a tough game to get people with no knowledge of the universe to give a shot? Are the mechanics easy to teach? It isn't the cheapest and if I grab it I don't want it to turn into another game that sits on my shelf gathering dust because the theme is too dark and it's too hardcore for the Carcassonne crowd.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

quote:

Chaos in the Old World (...) game that sits on my shelf gathering dust because the theme is too dark and it's too hardcore for the Carcassonne crowd.

#justtomvaselthings

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I picked up Mage Knight the other day since everyone recommends it as a solo game.

Is there, like...a "Mage Knight For Dummies" video or something? Because this looks pretty complicated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I picked up Mage Knight the other day since everyone recommends it as a solo game.

Is there, like...a "Mage Knight For Dummies" video or something? Because this looks pretty complicated.

Search Ricky Royal on YouTube, he has exactly that.

Re: Dark Moon - it's pretty bad. I played it at Essen at someone's insistence, and I don't even think they had fun.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Yes, there is. Ricky Royal did a good MK walkthrough.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

Look up Ricky Royal on YouTube. I learned the game with his videos. I really recommend them.

FulsomFrank posted:

Selecta84, I noticed that Chaos in the Old World is on that great list of yours (as well as the impossible to find at a reasonable price Pillars of the Earth, thanks for taunting me) and because it's something I've had my eye on for a long time, how do you like it? Is it a tough game to get people with no knowledge of the universe to give a shot? Are the mechanics easy to teach? It isn't the cheapest and if I grab it I don't want it to turn into another game that sits on my shelf gathering dust because the theme is too dark and it's too hardcore for the Carcassonne crowd.

In Germany they have Pillars of the Earth in stock on Amazon for 28 euros. But it's in German.

As for Chaos, I quite like it. It is not that hard to teach imho. Just play 1-2 test rounds and that should do it. But yeah, the theme can be quite a turn off for some people. My playgroup all played some kind of Warhammer game (minitures game or one of the RPGs) so the theme has always been a plus for them.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You can watch the Ricky Royal playthrough playthrough to get a really good feel as to how the game is set up and played.

Also, use the learn to play guide and just jump in.

e: goddamn you nerds are fast

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really really like Chaos but I play it with the same group of 4 people which I think it pretty much requires to develop a decent meta.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

T-Bone posted:

I really really like Chaos but I play it with the same group of 4 people which I think it pretty much requires to develop a decent meta.

Yeah, do that. Or every game with new people will end in a victory for Khorne cause for the love of god nobody new to this game seems to understand that you want to AVOID any fights with Khorne as much as possible.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Evil Mastermind posted:

A lot of people recommend the Ricky Royal video series, but it's super long, and I don't know that it's really the best intro to the game. As far as I know, there's no Rodney Smith or Paul Grogan type video that really grounds you in the basics. (And don't watch Rahdo's video. You'll just be more confused than you started.)

Really, your best bet is to sit down with the tutorial book and play through it step by step. The MK rules are kinda annoying as a reference document, but Vlaada and his crew know how to make a solid tutorial.

Otherwise, it's like your first time taking it up the butt. Go slowly. Get yourself comfortable and try to relax--you're not going anywhere for a while, and being tense is just going to make things harder. Take it in a tiny bit at a time. Even if you feel like you're getting a handle on things, don't jump ahead, or you're just going to hurt yourself and sour the whole experience. Pause every so often to acclimate before trying to cover more. It's best to experiment by yourself before involving a second person, and get used to two-player before involving three or more people. And remember, a tiny bit of pain is part of what makes the experience enjoyable. It can all seem daunting at first, impossible even, but once you've gotten a little experience under your belt you'll be surprised how easily everything slides into place.

Also, take a poop and a shower beforehand. That's not a metaphor for anything, it's just generally good advice.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 17, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

(And don't watch Rahdo's video. You'll just be more confused than you started.)
Oh trust me, I don't watch Radho videos to learn how to play games. I appreciate how enthusiastic he gets about stuff, but after his third nested iteration of "oh wait I need to back up because I forgot to explain something again" I just had to stop.

Seriously, dude, get the rules straight then make the video.

quote:

Otherwise, it's like your first time taking it up the butt. Go slowly. Get yourself comfortable and try to relax--you're not going anywhere for a while, and being tense is just going to make things harder. Take it in a tiny bit at a time. Even if you feel like you're getting a handle on things, don't jump ahead, or you're just going to hurt yourself and sour the whole experience. Pause every so often to acclimate before trying to cover more. It's best to experiment by yourself before involving a second person, and get used to two-player before involving three or more people. And remember, a tiny bit of pain is part of what makes the experience enjoyable.

Also, take a poop and a shower beforehand. That's not a metaphor for anything, it's just generally good advice.
...are you hitting on me? :confused:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Selecta84 posted:

Yeah, do that. Or every game with new people will end in a victory for Khorne cause for the love of god nobody new to this game seems to understand that you want to AVOID any fights with Khorne as much as possible.

I've found that with a new meta, it's more likely for Nurgle or Tzeentch to win because the new Khorne won't know what s/he is supposed to do.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Gutter Owl posted:

Otherwise, it's like your first time taking it up the butt. Go slowly. Get yourself comfortable and try to relax--you're not going anywhere for a while, and being tense is just going to make things harder. Take it in a tiny bit at a time. Even if you feel like you're getting a handle on things, don't jump ahead, or you're just going to hurt yourself and sour the whole experience. Pause every so often to acclimate before trying to cover more. It's best to experiment by yourself before involving a second person, and get used to two-player before involving three or more people. And remember, a tiny bit of pain is part of what makes the experience enjoyable. It can all seem daunting at first, impossible even, but once you've gotten a little experience under your belt you'll be surprised how easily everything slides into place.

:perfect:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Selecta84 posted:

Explain to them at the start why this will be a bad idea and give them some pointers for each god?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tekopo posted:

To expand on Churchill, what Trynant said isn't actually correct and a little bit more complex. The way the game works is that it has 3 victory conditions:

1. If both Japan and Germany have surrendered, and the difference between the first and last player is <=15 points, the first player wins.
2. If both Japan and Germany surrendered and the difference between the first and last player is >15 points, the second player wins (you can roll a dice and add that as well if you want slightly more randomness as well).
3. If both Japan and Germany haven't surrendered, the first and second player lose a random amount of points and the last player gains points, and whoever is first after that wins.

The end game incentives are really crazy and hard to analyse, but in my last game I was last as the UK, with the US so far ahead that his only chance of victory was to prevent Japan from surrendering, and thus it was a fight between me and the USSR to see who would become second. I managed to win after a successful invasion of Japan :v:

drat, that does sound interesting. I was looking at that game in a FLGS just last Friday but walked away because I wasn't sure when I would play it...then ended up playing Forbidden Stars three player the next day. :cripes:

Selecta84 posted:

My question is:

Huge Multi-player All-day Space 4X Game. Personally, I recommend Twilight Imperium, but some people prefer Eclipse or Space Empires. These people are wrong, mind you, but I mention them for the sake of completion.

Shadows Over Camelot is the classic Traitor Game, but perhaps Dead of Winter as a more recent example is more what you're looking for?

As mentioned, Letters from Whitechapel is an excellent Hidden Movement game, but I've heard good things about Fury of Dracula.

I also note that you haven't got any of the newest "genre", the Legacy Game. That's the type of game where the board and other game elements change between (and sometimes during) games. There are only two Legacy Games extant that I'm aware of, Risk Legacy and Pandemic Legacy. Of the two, I recommend Pandemic Legacy as it's foundation is a much better base game than Risk.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 17, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Selecta84 posted:

Mysterium, a game that uses artistic interpretation similar to Dixit. It's coop, works well for all ages and player counts, and is a great game all around.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

jng2058 posted:

Shadows Over Camelot is the classic Traitor Game, but perhaps Dead of Winter as a more recent example is more what you're looking for?

:frogout:

Both of those are quite bad. Play BSG (which I think you've said you soured on?) or Dark Moon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eh, I'd say Dark Moon & Dead of Winter are a toss up. They both have some good ideas but some really big issues. For most groups though, they are still a fun experience. If you want a game like that, I'd go with whichever theme your group can get into more. BSG is better, but a much heavier and longer game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mage Knight isn't that complicated if you remember that ice block blocks fire, fire block blocks ice, that it takes two movement to enter a city, that black mana can't be used during the day unless you're underground, that you can't block partially unless you're in pvp, and that units can take up to their hit points in damage unless they're resistant, in which case they can take double.