Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Speak and Spell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWyc8Tb70vM
Sammy the Skating Bear

The Monterey Bay Aquarium sea life collection. Still have these in storage.

This remote control puppy that was a hand-me-down from my mom from the 60s

The first Jurassic Park electronic raptor toy from 1993. I still have it and it still works with it's original battery.

And a poo poo ton of other dinosaur and whale stuff because I was obsessed with those types of animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Jurassic park obsessed [if you can tell]

I had a little pamplet catalogue which I loved looking at as it had the whole line of things to get, pre internet I thought i'd found the motherlode.

Series 2 came about in 94 I believe. Baring in mind I was around 6-8? when I got into these toys so in the UK these were still knocking about in shops(96-98, maybe 99!). Series 2 had some awesome/lame stuff depending on your interests. I disliked the 'rad' stuff and preferred the more grounded stuff from the main toys. What's a skinner!

My immersion was breaking as a young child, this guff wasn't in the films!

The vehicles are larger things that came in boxes, rather than packets had really cool art on.

Too rad for me but looked cool!

Sevalar has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Oct 25, 2015

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Stick Insect posted:

Thank you for your replies. It looks perfectly dangerous, I probably would've loved it.

you would think they could get decent air going off a ramp with a light child riding it.

you would think it, but they can't

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

simosimo posted:

Jurassic park obsessed [if you can tell]

I had a little pamplet catalogue which I loved looking at as it had the whole line of things to get, pre internet I thought i'd found the motherlode.

"Dennis Nedry's arms rip off to reveal Dino Damagetm"

Well, that's horrific.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Picnic Princess posted:

The Speak and Spell.

Man, the creepy robot voice for this was great. I'd like to find a working one and run Silence of the Lambs dialogue through it :unsmigghh:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Davros1 posted:

"Dennis Nedry's arms rip off to reveal Dino Damagetm"

Well, that's horrific.

At least it was film accurate!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why is the packaging trying to make everything sound less than lethal? That's clearly a rocket, not a Blood Sample Missile, haha.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why is the packaging trying to make everything sound less than lethal? That's clearly a rocket, not a Blood Sample Missile, haha.

"Blood sample" missile

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy
Haven't seen these ones mentioned yet

Sectaurs

I had this guy and my buddy had one of the puppet ones. These guys were cool as gently caress.

And Mantech. I had Terrortech and Lasertech, and another buddy had the yellow guy but other than that virtually nobody seems to have owned or remembers these toy lines.

I always wanted Crystar: Crystal Warrior toys but never got them. I don't know why but these were so awesome to me as a kid

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I loved Stompers. I had the tracks and the pulling sled and everything. They always had a problem where the plastic driveshafts would stripout. At the time you couldn't get replacements so you had to by a new truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbn-XMxXlXw

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Man, so many toys in this thread that I've forgotten about. I wish I lived closer to my parents so I could spend a weekend digging out their basement to find all of my old stuff.

Beast Wars got mentioned earlier, but didn't see mention of the biggest and baddest one: motherfucking Optimal Optimus Prime-

Two modes? Three? Bitch how about four modes. This thing was massive and shiny as all get-out and I loved it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'd always play these at my grandma's

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Picnic Princess posted:

The Monterey Bay Aquarium sea life collection. Still have these in storage.

Pretty much this and

Got me through childhood.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

Haven't seen these ones mentioned yet

Sectaurs

I had this guy and my buddy had one of the puppet ones. These guys were cool as gently caress.

And Mantech. I had Terrortech and Lasertech, and another buddy had the yellow guy but other than that virtually nobody seems to have owned or remembers these toy lines.

I had SolarTech, AquaTech, and LaserTech, and I often swapped their body parts around (which was something you could do). Their big guns pegged into their chests and reminded me of crazy electric guitars when I was a kid, so I created my own mythology where they were a cyborg rock band with swappable body parts.

I also had Dargon from Sectaurs, but the one that came with the smaller dragonfly-like insect that became a winged backpack for him, not the big puppet.

I was lucky enough to have lots of G.I. Joe figures and a few vehicles, and a nice collection of G1 Transformers (Autobots only; I never wanted any Decepticons as a kid), but my favorite were always Kenner's DC Super Powers and Mattel's Marvel Secret Wars figures.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

I'd always play these at my grandma's

Oh drat, I forgot about these! There were also Ants in the Pants, Don't Break the Ice, Mousetrap and that one where you made the plastic bugs from a box of parts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So many dinosaur toys but you're all forgetting the best ones:

Playskool Dinosaurs motherfuckers! They came with cavemen to ride them and little story books. I loved getting them for birthdays and Xmas as a kid.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had the dragonfly puppet sectaur! That thing was my favourite toy for years. Hard to find with intact wings these days though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The gloves on the Sectaurs were surprisingly well made. They held up to a lot of abuse me and my cousins put them through.

There is a toy I remember that was a robot toy, but it was not transformers nor gobots. I wish I could remember what they were called. The leader of the good guys had some name like Max or something.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Quad posted:

Looking for a toy I had but can't remember the name of, it was basically this: http://www.amazon.com/SmartLab-Toys-Demolition-Triple-Warehouse/dp/B00BD9BXBM
But without all the graphics, just plastic girders, joints, and a little plunger thing with a timer that you would use to blow up your huge skycraper you just spent an hour building. Anyone?
Did it have black corners with white I-Beams with hooks that attached to the corners? If so, good luck, I've been trying to figure it out for years.
Was it Building Blasters?

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 08:12 on Nov 17, 2015

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
Does anyone remember a toy from the mid to late 70's (yes, I'm old...) that was a 'build your own racecar' kind of idea? It came with little plastic rivets you kind of drilled onto a set much like a Connex set, and the race car bodies were made of cardboard over a plastic frame? I swear I had this thing, but much searching has netted me nothing similar. It might have been made as early as the late 60's and we just ended up with it one year. I loved that thing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

There is a toy I remember that was a robot toy, but it was not transformers nor gobots. I wish I could remember what they were called. The leader of the good guys had some name like Max or something.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

More girl toys! There was all the standard stuff. Polly Pocket, the odd Barbie, those lethal Skydancers (jesus christ...), Beanie Babies, and so on...

Not yet seen, though:

There was also a more well-known dog version, but I liked cats, so...

I just. I like cats.

Because every nine-year-old girl needs an electronic device with memo capabilities.

One of these gross things got stuck on the ceiling of a classroom at Primary school for about half a year. It was great.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I had one of those but it was some kind of giant robot that was like three feet tall and could be programed to do all sorts of stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I actually still have the spider puppet thing in the lower right hand corner. Just the spider puppet "Skulk" it looks like is the name, the rest of it has been MIA for decades. I terrified my cat with it once a about years ago, I probably would have been too if I woke up from a nap to see that coming toward me :(

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Mr.Bob posted:

I had one of those but it was some kind of giant robot that was like three feet tall and could be programed to do all sorts of stuff.

Are you talking about R.A.D. Robot? Because I also had that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vygf4NTIHQ
Not quite as cool as the commercials made it look, but I still loved it.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Laocius posted:

Are you talking about R.A.D. Robot? Because I also had that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vygf4NTIHQ
Not quite as cool as the commercials made it look, but I still loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTALnTFnfTg

Nah, it was this guy.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I got this thing, it was basically the most expensive toy I ever owned and I had to beg my mom for ages before I finally got it for christmas. I felt like I'd won the lottery.

This picture might be a model? I'm not sure, mine wasnt though it was just a plastic toy with articulated legs and head that made some growling noises if you pushed it's tail down and swiped its paw a bit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parsley posted:

Because every nine-year-old girl needs an electronic device with memo capabilities.
My sister had one of these. As I recall, it broke almost instantly.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Bismuth posted:

I got this thing, it was basically the most expensive toy I ever owned and I had to beg my mom for ages before I finally got it for christmas. I felt like I'd won the lottery.

This picture might be a model? I'm not sure, mine wasnt though it was just a plastic toy with articulated legs and head that made some growling noises if you pushed it's tail down and swiped its paw a bit.

That looks like a Zoid (Japanese toys like Gundam, but robot animals instead of human-shaped robots). They're usually model kits, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put out the occasional pre-assembled one with some extra functions like yours.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That's it! Oh man one of those looks exactly like a Dalek.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Parsley posted:

There was also a more well-known dog version, but I liked cats, so...

I just. I like cats.

For some reason, I had a tub of these (cats and dogs) and ther was a big shaggy beige dog that was posed laying down on it's belly. And a brown lab who was bending down with it's tongue out. The 'te he' thing to do was to make the dog lick the other one's rear end.

ha found it, thanks internet.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Vulgar(tm) the Destroyer looks like R2-D2 and a unicorn had incest.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That looks like a Zoid (Japanese toys like Gundam, but robot animals instead of human-shaped robots). They're usually model kits, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put out the occasional pre-assembled one with some extra functions like yours.

It was definitely pre-assembled and I think crappier than the one in the picture but it shot darts out of the tail and had those functions. I dont remember how much it cost, maybe $15 tops at Walmart? It was boss though, every kid should have a growling robot lion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DC to Daylight posted:

Vulgar(tm) the Destroyer looks like R2-D2 and a unicorn had incest.

That's the one I thought looked like a Dalek.

The fun thing about Zoids is they came with little silvered plastic pilots that fit perfectly in the cockpits of the generation 1 Transformers.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

GWBBQ posted:

Did it have black corners with white I-Beams with hooks that attached to the corners? If so, good luck, I've been trying to figure it out for years.
Was it Building Blasters?

Such a good toy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Astrofig posted:

Oh drat, I forgot about these! There were also Ants in the Pants, Don't Break the Ice, Mousetrap and that one where you made the plastic bugs from a box of parts.

Aw yiss

My aunt and cousins had this game, Operation and Battleship, owned bones

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
Crazy Bones!

My friends and I had no idea how to play so we just threw them at each other. :shobon:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

rndmnmbr posted:

But it just isn't the same anymore. The newer pin-and-beam Technic requires a lot more planning and thought to build things, and you can't just slam together Legos until you accidentally build something really cool like you could with the old studded beams. I wound up giving my whole collection to my nephews, who are apparently a lot smarter and more creative than I am.
I dunno, I salivate over the new Technic sets anyway because, well:

Those are some bad boys. They're way over my budget for things like these nowadays though.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seriously Safe posted:

Crazy Bones!

My friends and I had no idea how to play so we just threw them at each other. :shobon:
Hahaha I remember when a couple kids knocked each other's teeth out over these loving things and school responded by banning them and pokemon cards on the same day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

olaf2022 posted:

The Talking Computron. It was like a Speak & Spell but with more activities.

This makes me remember a toy I LOVED as a kid but can only half-remember. It was I think supposed to teach math skills. It was red and had a screen and a keyboard, and there were little running guys who would dash across the screen to help you learn addition. I still remember the little song it played when it tallied them up! Oh man I loved that thing.

That, these cupcake dolls (I had this one, my sister had a pink one with blonde hair) and Polly Pocket were my favourite toys.

• Locked thread