Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

David Vitter, the worst person in politics?

quote:

"Obama's sending Syrian refugees to Louisiana," says a narrator. "David Vitter warned Obama of the danger of Syrian refugees weeks ago, and promised as governor, no Syrian refugees will enter Louisiana. John Bel Edwards has promised to work with Obama to bring Syrian refugees to Louisiana."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...yrian-refugees/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

crazy cloud posted:

I'm going to take a picture of a guy using a flag pole as a giant stick to hit this nice person

Is it a government nice person?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Governor Wolf here in PA issued a statement that we'll still work with the federal government to resettle refugees. It's nice to have someone sane in charge. Is there a list of the states that have issued pro-refugee statements anywhere? Looking around on google only gives me a list of the ones throwing tantrums.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Umass has a national poll out

Trump - 31
Carson - 22
Every candidate acceptable to the establishment combined - 22
Cruz - 13
Paul - 4

Btw that combined has Bush at 3%

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fried Chicken posted:

Umass has a national poll out

Trump - 31
Carson - 22
Every candidate acceptable to the establishment combined - 22
Cruz - 13
Paul - 4

Btw that combined has Bush at 3%

Sounds like the GOP needs to ramp up the rollout of it's Splicing and Bio Engineering program.

"I present to you our new candidate, RuFi KaJeb!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Greatbacon posted:

Sounds like the GOP needs to ramp up the rollout of it's Splicing and Bio Engineering program.

Sounds Muslim....

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Nolanar posted:

Governor Wolf here in PA issued a statement that we'll still work with the federal government to resettle refugees. It's nice to have someone sane in charge. Is there a list of the states that have issued pro-refugee statements anywhere? Looking around on google only gives me a list of the ones throwing tantrums.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/20/us/100000003983109.mobile.html

NYT has a helpful graphic of the states that are pro or anti refugee, as well as where most of the refugees have gone since 2012. No links to the governors' public statements, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Greatbacon posted:

The funny part is if you craft that monster on to Cruz he/it barely edges out Trump.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

greatn posted:

I wish the Republican party could be more like George W Bush. After 9/11 he came out talking about how Muslims were not out enemies and they were being misrepresented by a small group of extremists and we had to protect and be kind to our neighbors and poo poo. And he ensured innocent relatives of Bin Laden who had nothing to do with it were moved safely out of the country so they wouldn't get murdered(some liberals actually attached him for this).

No poo poo. Compare to what any current Republican candidate has said:

George W. Bush posted:

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all very much for your hospitality. We've just had a -- wide-ranging discussions on the matter at hand. Like the good folks standing with me, the American people were appalled and outraged at last Tuesday's attacks. And so were Muslims all across the world. Both Americans and Muslim friends and citizens, tax-paying citizens, and Muslims in nations were just appalled and could not believe what we saw on our TV screens.

These acts of violence against innocents violate the fundamental tenets of the Islamic faith. And it's important for my fellow Americans to understand that.

The English translation is not as eloquent as the original Arabic, but let me quote from the Koran, itself: In the long run, evil in the extreme will be the end of those who do evil. For that they rejected the signs of Allah and held them up to ridicule.

The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. That's not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don't represent peace. They represent evil and war.

When we think of Islam we think of a faith that brings comfort to a billion people around the world. Billions of people find comfort and solace and peace. And that's made brothers and sisters out of every race -- out of every race.

America counts millions of Muslims amongst our citizens, and Muslims make an incredibly valuable contribution to our country. Muslims are doctors, lawyers, law professors, members of the military, entrepreneurs, shopkeepers, moms and dads. And they need to be treated with respect. In our anger and emotion, our fellow Americans must treat each other with respect.

Women who cover their heads in this country must feel comfortable going outside their homes. Moms who wear cover must be not intimidated in America. That's not the America I know. That's not the America I value.

I've been told that some fear to leave; some don't want to go shopping for their families; some don't want to go about their ordinary daily routines because, by wearing cover, they're afraid they'll be intimidated. That should not and that will not stand in America.

Those who feel like they can intimidate our fellow citizens to take out their anger don't represent the best of America, they represent the worst of humankind, and they should be ashamed of that kind of behavior.

This is a great country. It's a great country because we share the same values of respect and dignity and human worth. And it is my honor to be meeting with leaders who feel just the same way I do. They're outraged, they're sad. They love America just as much as I do.

I want to thank you all for giving me a chance to come by. And may God bless us all.

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010917-11.html

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I haven't used Facebook in over a year, how bad was it getting? From a scale of "I think Muslims are a bit shifty-eyed and suspicious" to "immediate genocide and concentration camps now"?

I have two PTSD-addled brothers who are former Army, a bunch of people who I was in the Marines with, and a mix between ultra-religious family members and some airsofters/try hard nerds.

They're all pretty much fans of camps and nukes.

I need better friends :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radish posted:

The funny part is if you craft that monster on to Cruz he/it barely edges out Trump.

*amorphous disfigured blob of muscle and skin tissue writhes and clambers across the debate floor*

"Kiiiilllll.... Me..... Vote.... Conservative...."

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

*amorphous disfigured blob of muscle and skin tissue writhes and clambers across the debate floor*

White Hot Ball of Rage/Angry Amorphous Blob 2016

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

but enough about huckabee

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Riosan posted:

White Hot Ball of Rage/Angry Amorphous Blob 2016

They would nominate a white candidate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

That race is awesome. It's such gutter shitball politics. Exactly what Vitter deserves.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mlmp08 posted:

Massachusetts just may still be reeling from some kind of past terrorist attack. Maybe one involving refugees...

Not saying it's right but is it a mystery as to why MA would be all NIMBY about refugees after two refugees conducted the Boston Marathon bombing?

Massachusetts isn't against the refugees, just the Republican governor is. It's the same deal in Illinois.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fishmech posted:

Massachusetts isn't against the refugees, just the Republican governor is. It's the same deal in Illinois.

Honestly it's probably the same in Idaho. Boise has been quietly accepting refugees for decades now, most of them from about as wartorn areas at the time as Syria is now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The funny part is that governors have literally no control over who can come into their states.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder how long it'll take for Brownback to pick up the phone and answer the meatpacking/freezepacking industry in his state who have benefited greatly from immigration, especially from South Asia/Mideast/North Africa.

Seriously there are burgeoning enclaves around those plants down there, just like the way the Mexican community cropped up in South Omaha with the packing plants a century ago.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The funny part is that governors have literally no control over who can come into their states.

I'm curious what the response will be from the voters that support refusing refugees will be if they continue to come into those states. Will they blame Obama for being a tyrant or their own Governors for being weak RINOs?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

They can defund any NGO that works with refugees.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

I'm curious what the response will be from the voters that support refusing refugees will be if they continue to come into those states. Will they blame Obama for being a tyrant or their own Governors for being weak RINOs?

Yes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

By the way, as the GOP shits their diaper over daesh, remember that they are blocking the appointment of

- Secretary of Army

- Under Sec of Defense for Intelligence

- Under Sec of Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Crimes

Yep, really taking this whole "War On Terror" thing serious there

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Obama would just nominate some bloodthirsty Liberty University grad they wouldn't have to do that. :colbert:

Well they would do it anyway but maybe think about it at least.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Fried Chicken posted:

By the way, as the GOP shits their diaper over daesh, remember that they are blocking the appointment of

- Secretary of Army

- Under Sec of Defense for Intelligence

- Under Sec of Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Crimes

Yep, really taking this whole "War On Terror" thing serious there

If Obama was serious about fighting ISIS, he'd immediately step down and convince Hillary to drop out as well. Only with a True Republican Government will ISIS be defeated. I mean, look at how well we destroyed Al-Qaeda and the Taliban.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If Obama were serious about fighting terrorism, he'd get Congress to declare war on ISIL and use his war powers to force everything he wants through.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Logikv9 posted:

If Obama was serious about fighting ISIS, he'd immediately step down and convince Hillary to drop out as well. Only with a True Republican Government will ISIS be defeated. I mean, look at how well we destroyed Al-Qaeda and the Taliban.
What Republicans Actually Think

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Obama were serious about fighting terrorism, he'd get Congress to declare war on ISIL and use his war powers to force everything he wants through.
Oh, welcome back

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radish posted:

Do you have to ask?

It's Obama. :ssh:

Seriously, all the governors have to do is direct the white hot unbridled rage at Obama for anything good or bad involving immuhgrunts, it's an easy win-win for them now (albeit lose-lose for the refugees in question).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 17, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is the person who was nominated to be Secretary of the Army the gay man? I know Obama appointed a gay man for one of those positions but I forget which one.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Could someone tell me why it's stupid to be wary of refugees when one of the Paris bombers was disguised as a refugee?

Legitimately asking, I usually respect the opinions here but I can totally see why Americans are no longer interested in getting involved in this crisis.

I don't know, why not be scared of all black people because Bill Cosby was a predator?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

If Obama were serious about fighting terrorism, he'd ask Congress for the open-ended AUMF Republicans want to have in place on January 20, 2017. (Remember, one of the reasons Republicans rejected his AUMF was because it wasn't broad enough for a Republican president to abuse.)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If Obama were serious about fighting terrorism, he'd ask Congress for the open-ended AUMF Republicans want to have in place on January 20, 2017. (Remember, one of the reasons Republicans rejected his AUMF was because it wasn't broad enough for a Republican president to abuse.)

Declarations of War are broad enough.

Would Congress really veto an outright Declaration of War on ISIL, if it was sold as 'this is like after Pearl Harbor'?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

A major new poll from the Public Religion Research Institute suggests these GOP lawmakers and candidates may be reading the mood of the overall public — and GOP voters in particular — with dispiriting accuracy.

The poll finds that Americans overall agree by 56-41 that the values of Islam are at odds with American values and the American way of life. Meanwhile, Americans are almost perfectly split on the value of immigration: 47 percent say immigrants strengthen the country with hard work and talent, while a depressingly high 46 percent say they are a burden on the U.S. because they take jobs, housing and health care. The CEO of PRRI tells religion writer Sarah Posner that the findings show an “increased xenophobic streak” among the American public overall.

Here are some of the more specific findings:

— Republicans say in far greater numbers than Americans overall that immigrants burden the country rather than strengthening it: they support this view by 66-26.

— According to numbers given to Posner by PRRI, 80 percent of Trump supporters see immigrants as a burden.

— Republicans and certain voter groups aligned with the GOP are much more pessimistic about American decline than Americans overall. While Americans are split on whether America’s best days are ahead of us or behind us, Republicans say by 58-41 that they are behind us. Tea Partyers say this by 65-33. And 60 percent of white evangelicals — a key voting bloc in GOP primaries — agree with this.

All of this lends more evidence to a thesis already suggested by many analysts: that the GOP coalition is increasingly drawn from the “groups most un­settled by demo­graph­ic and cul­tur­al change,” as Ron Brownstein has put it. These are the voters that may be fueling the Trump phenomenon, and now, it’s possible that the Paris attacks could encourage more of the GOP candidates to try to appeal to them with similar rhetoric. We’re already seeing Ted Cruz launch spirited new efforts along these lines, as you’ll see below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-this-new-poll/

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Didn't he try to do that earlier this year and the Republicans said no?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Didn't he try to do that earlier this year and the Republicans said no?

Closer to two years ago. Whenever we said we'd start funding rebels, that was only after a new AUMF was shot down by Congress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now would be a good time to remind them that just a few months ago they wouldn't shut up about how all lives matter.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

computer parts posted:

Closer to two years ago. Whenever we said we'd start funding rebels, that was only after a new AUMF was shot down by Congress.
They'd shoot down a new one too, because they're happy to compromise security if it lets them get one over on Obama.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The number of people saying that should fix the problem themselves and stay in Syria is depressing. And I can't even form into words why that's a bad idea.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KomradeX posted:

The number of people saying that should fix the problem themselves and stay in Syria is depressing. And I can't even form into words why that's a bad idea.

The reality is that any bombing campaign is going to cause collateral damage if you don't do something about the refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The reality is that any bombing campaign is going to cause collateral damage if you don't do something about the refugees.

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all.

• Locked thread