Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any evidence that NATO/the US military is capable of effectively destroying ISIS or is this purely wishful thinking? I know they liberated a few Kurds, which was awesome, but historically we've done a poor job at killing the ideology out of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

fishmech posted:

Massachusetts isn't against the refugees, just the Republican governor is. It's the same deal in Illinois.

No longer true post Fridays attack.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Now would be a good time to remind them that just a few months ago they wouldn't shut up about how all lives matter.

Sure they did! They said all white lives matter, weren't you listening?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

KomradeX posted:

The number of people saying that should fix the problem themselves and stay in Syria is depressing. And I can't even form into words why that's a bad idea.

bootstraps!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Is there any evidence that NATO/the US military is capable of effectively destroying ISIS or is this purely wishful thinking? I know they liberated a few Kurds, which was awesome, but historically we've done a poor job at killing the ideology out of people.

Yes, and we've actually been pretty historically good about killing the ideology out of people, it's other major pillars of national power that we've been pretty bad at exercising in concert (economic, social and political).

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 17, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boon posted:

Yes, and we've actually been pretty historically good about killing the ideology out of people, it's the other major pillars of national power that we've been pretty bad at exercising in concert (economic and political).

Gonna need an example here.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boon posted:

Yes, and we've actually been pretty historically good about killing the ideology out of people, it's the other major pillars of national power that we've been pretty bad at exercising in concert (economic and political).

Yes like the Taliban.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boon posted:

Yes, and we've actually been pretty historically good about killing the ideology out of people, it's other major pillars of national power that we've been pretty bad at exercising in concert (economic, social and political).

Which ideology did will kill in Iraq/Afghanistan?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Gonna need an example here.

The Germans?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Boon posted:

This is why Nazis no longer exist at all.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Now would be a good time to remind them that just a few months ago they wouldn't shut up about how all lives matter.

All lives matter; some, more than others.

The American people don't care about the first-gen immigrants. Its not first-gen immigrants you see carrying out terrorism in France. Its their kids that we don't trust the Obama administration to deal with.

Radbot posted:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

A major new poll from the Public Religion Research Institute suggests these GOP lawmakers and candidates may be reading the mood of the overall public — and GOP voters in particular — with dispiriting accuracy.

The poll finds that Americans overall agree by 56-41 that the values of Islam are at odds with American values and the American way of life. Meanwhile, Americans are almost perfectly split on the value of immigration: 47 percent say immigrants strengthen the country with hard work and talent, while a depressingly high 46 percent say they are a burden on the U.S. because they take jobs, housing and health care. The CEO of PRRI tells religion writer Sarah Posner that the findings show an “increased xenophobic streak” among the American public overall.

Yep this is no longer a partisan issue, moderates and even lefties are swinging to the right on this pretty much exactly like I predicted months ago. The left really needs to reevaluate their line here because they are currently losing badly and it could easily cost them the election.

You could tell how uncomfortable they were during the debate- Bernie in particular knows he's not winning an election that is focused on foreign policy and Hillary's very much in trouble too. Dems in general fair very poorly in these sorts of elections and excel in pocket book focused elections.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

My Imaginary GF posted:

All lives matter; some, more than others.

The American people don't care about the first-gen immigrants. Its not first-gen immigrants you see carrying out terrorism in France. Its their kids that we don't trust the Obama administration to deal with.

I agree, which is why I think we should intern Irish immigrants after the horrific attacks carried out by Dylann Roof.

tsa posted:

You could tell how uncomfortable they were during the debate- Bernie in particular knows he's not winning an election that is focused on foreign policy and Hillary's very much in trouble too. Dems in general fair very poorly in these sorts of elections and excel in pocket book focused elections.

Which makes sense, considering the worst terrorist attack on American soil and the wars that created ISIS were both carried out under mostly Democratic presidencies. Right?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yes like the Taliban.

He says we are good at our wars excising ideology but fails at structural solutions, so you point to a group utterly driven from power and rejected by the populace that is coming back after a series of sustained structural failures?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ehh I'd argue that when you say you're the master race then pick a fight with the very people you propagandize as subhuman and lose, your ideology in itself has failed.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's probably misconstruing the question, but we've been historically pretty good at applying the military in terms of national power, what we've been bad at is applying diplomatic and economic strength in support of the same strategic ends.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Boon posted:

It's probably misconstruing the question, but we've been historically pretty good at applying the military in terms of national power, what we've been bad at is applying diplomatic and economic strength in support of strategic ends.

Good: WW2, Cold War (really multiple elements of it, rather than the sum), Gulf War
Bad: Vietnam, current situation

I wonder what the Kurds would say about your assessment of the Gulf War?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

Which ideology did will kill in Iraq/Afghanistan?

Are you taking the position that we were successful in building good economic, political, social, and infrastructure components of society in these places, but that the people there just liked the idea of violent theocracy more?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
To be fair, the Republican strategy to beat ISIS would succeed.

You just keep bombing everybody with no distinction given between enemy and civilian. Eventually there will be nobody left to bomb. Problem solved.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

Are you taking the position that we were successful in building good economic, political, social, and infrastructure components of society in these places, but that the people there just liked the idea of violent theocracy more?

No, I'm asking which ideology we killed in Iraq/Afghanistan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder what thing that is actually somehow worse than ISIS we're going to create with our inevitable terrible and short sighted "solution" to this problem.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

I wonder what the Kurds would say about your assessment of the Gulf War?

I don't understand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Fellow Americans, we have defeated ISIS but our bombs uncovered some ancient robotic lions that militants in the region have seized to create Salafist Voltron.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Louie Gohmert just asked Loretta Lynch if she had a degree in Islamic Studies during a hearing over the refugee thing. Go to loving hell you piece of poo poo.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Louie Gohmert just asked Loretta Lynch if she had a degree in Islamic Studies during a hearing over the refugee thing. Go to loving hell you piece of poo poo.

The easiest answer would be "Do you?"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fried Chicken posted:

He says we are good at our wars excising ideology but fails at structural solutions, so you point to a group utterly driven from power and rejected by the populace that is coming back after a series of sustained structural failures?

Are we just citing Kabul?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

My Fellow Americans, we have defeated ISIS but our bombs uncovered some ancient robotic lions that militants in the region have seized to create Salafist Voltron.

Shahada!

Salat!

Zakat!

Sawm!

Hajj!

By your pillars combined, I am Captain Wahhabi! *destabilizes Middle East*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paul Ryan just came out and said that the President does not need a new AUMF against ISIS, so that puts a hole in that GOP talking point

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

No, I'm asking which ideology we killed in Iraq/Afghanistan.

No your "question" was a frame of an assertion that we hadn't. Except your point to where the problem lies hinges on the assumption I pointed out.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SquadronROE posted:

This is why Nazis no longer exist at all.

Existing as an idea and in small, powerless circles = US no good at removing Nazi's militarily

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 17, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

No your "question" was a frame of an assertion that we hadn't. Except your point to where the problem lies hinges on the assumption I pointed out.

I don't really give a poo poo what you have to say, I wasn't talking to you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

I wonder what thing that is actually somehow worse than ISIS we're going to create with our inevitable terrible and short sighted "solution" to this problem.

Honestly about the only thing worse would be their ideology coupled to an industrial base. There isn't much in the way of monstrous crimes they haven't committed, and those they haven't are a limit of scale and ability.

I mean just look at the mass grave they found Saturday.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 17, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Okay, but Fried Chicken put it pretty well (and better than I), so the point still stands.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

You ever notice how every time we interact, I point out you have no idea what you are talking about, and you lose your poo poo?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Then it is time for us to deploy operation Lightspeed Rescue.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Boon posted:

It's probably misconstruing the question, but we've been historically pretty good at applying the military in terms of national power, what we've been bad at is applying diplomatic and economic strength in support of the same strategic ends.

We "defeated" the USSR through our diplomatic and economic efforts as much as (if not more so) than any military ones.

Not sure if "not falling to pieces as a nation" can really be considered a massive victory, of course, but the Cold War can hardly be considered a military victory.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are we just citing Kabul?

In terms of what, structural failures, or ideological control? Because id say the structural failures went well beyond Kabul.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

It can't be done with a Hellfire missile or a smart bomb dropped from 10,000 feet. It can't be done without stopping the flow of money from the Middle East Monarchies to the extremists and we are never going to even try to do that.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

Paul Ryan just came out and said that the President does not need a new AUMF against ISIS, so that puts a hole in that GOP talking point

Obama doesn't need one --- and Congress doesn't want to authorize one --- but it's the constitutional thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sooooo, does that mean that Obama can just do whatever he wants with the military wrt ISIS or what?

• Locked thread