Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

First of all the US completely half assed EMV, and instead of chip and pin like normal countries, we have loving chip and sign. So you have to stick your card it in the card reader and leave it in there until your transaction is finished which could be a few minutes if the clerk is still ringing you up. I have literally walked away from my card hanging out of the machine once at Wal Mart while I put my bags in the basket because it wouldn't let me take the card out yet. You can't just swipe the magstripe and put it back in your pocket any more.

Wait, for chip purchases, you leave your card in the entire time the clerk is ringing you up?! Why is it not just for the 10 seconds it takes to pay at the end? That's how it is in Canada, which is chip/pin. Was the same in New Zealand, where it's called eftpos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, for chip purchases, you leave your card in the entire time the clerk is ringing you up?! Why is it not just for the 10 seconds it takes to pay at the end? That's how it is in Canada, which is chip/pin. Was the same in New Zealand, where it's called eftpos.

Yeah not the case here for the one or two I've used. If it you pull it out too soon the thing breaks and the cashier had to pretty much go to another register while the one rebooted.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

havenwaters posted:

Yeah not the case here for the one or two I've used. If it you pull it out too soon the thing breaks and the cashier had to pretty much go to another register while the one rebooted.

You can wait till they are done ringing you up, and then chip/sign. I think you just have to have the card in once the final order is totaled.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

You wait until the end unless you're an idiot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

havenwaters posted:

Weeeird. When I went to the states a couple months ago, it was all swipe and sign, really annoying. I'm glad you're moving to chips though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

docbeard posted:

I have yet to see an EMV terminal that doesn't have a magstripe reader as well.

Everywhere I've gone, if your card has a chip, you can't use that. It won't work.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea the new chip cards are a pain in the loving rear end and inconvenient as poo poo compared to just a magnetic strip.

First of all, the reader could have the slot for chip cards, but unless you've been to the store before (or if you remember), there's no way to loving know if the loving retailer has the chip reader enabled yet. So there's a 50% chance you gently caress up the process right off the bat if you forget to ask the cashier beforehand.

If you swipe and it actually is enabled to read the chip, congratulations! You get a message saying you need to stick the card in.

If you stick the card in and its not enabled, awesome! You get to wait while nothing happens and ask the retailer what the gently caress.

So in the situation where the reader does work, you have to insert the card, wait about 10 seconds, and then it finally asks for your loving pin. At this point, you still have to leave the card in. In fact, if you remove your card at any point in the process up and through the point where it tells you to remove the card (about 4 seconds after the transaction is completed), it has to be started all over again.

All told, it takes a fuckload of time for these stupid loving chip cards, whereas before I could just swipe and enter the pin within a few seconds and be out the door.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea the new chip cards are a pain in the loving rear end and inconvenient as poo poo compared to just a magnetic strip.

First of all, the reader could have the slot for chip cards, but unless you've been to the store before (or if you remember), there's no way to loving know if the loving retailer has the chip reader enabled yet. So there's a 50% chance you gently caress up the process right off the bat if you forget to ask the cashier beforehand.

If you swipe and it actually is enabled to read the chip, congratulations! You get a message saying you need to stick the card in.

If you stick the card in and its not enabled, awesome! You get to wait while nothing happens and ask the retailer what the gently caress.

So in the situation where the reader does work, you have to insert the card, wait about 10 seconds, and then it finally asks for your loving pin. At this point, you still have to leave the card in. In fact, if you remove your card at any point in the process up and through the point where it tells you to remove the card (about 4 seconds after the transaction is completed), it has to be started all over again.

All told, it takes a fuckload of time for these stupid loving chip cards, whereas before I could just swipe and enter the pin within a few seconds and be out the door.

You'll be fine, other countries use them as a standard and it's absolutely no problem.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doctor Butts posted:

Buy everything via Amazon 1 click pay, no more issues. :smug:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

docbeard posted:

I have yet to see an EMV terminal that doesn't have a magstripe reader as well.

At Target, if I swipe a card with a chip, the terminal immediately tells me I have to use the chip reader (I didn't even notice). But at least I didn't have to leave it in the whole time. Just at the end when I needed to pay.

Edit: Welp, I guess I should have just read the rest of the drat thread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Way back when I was a freshman at college, the school hooked the student IDs into a payment system that used chip and pin, with three different wallets that had different restrictions on them because lol college students - one could be used anywhere, another was for non-book/food retail stuff on campus, and the third was only for books and tuition. Parents could put money on the second and third ones by calling or emailing or the website, but the first one was basically cash only and they had machines all over campus to add cash. Unless there was some serious poo poo wrong with the reader (I.e. it got rained on or hit by lightning or broken - this was FL so that poo poo wasn't too far off the wall) it was as fast if not faster than swiping.

This was in 2002-2003 so it's good to see the country is coming around to this magically advanced technology.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Daily Forecast posted:

Everywhere I've gone, if your card has a chip, you can't use that. It won't work.

If you assume the chip provides a security benefit there's no point to the extra security of the chip if you could simply do mag swipe whenever you felt like it. People who've cloned your cards would simply continue to swipe.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its always annoying as gently caress when an American uses their medieval card in my pub.
Having to hunt around for a pen, and then receipts all need to be kept separate as they need to be kept for x amount of months.
Its slow as hell compared to chip and pin or contactless too, I dunno how you all deal with it

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just a got a new CC with a chip, I went to pay for something and I didn't need to enter a PIN. What is the point?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Its always annoying as gently caress when an American uses their medieval card in my pub.
Having to hunt around for a pen, and then receipts all need to be kept separate as they need to be kept for x amount of months.
Its slow as hell compared to chip and pin or contactless too, I dunno how you all deal with it

I don't own a business, so mostly I just swipe my card and sign a thing and move along.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
This is more Just Retail Things than Android Things but here goes:

I manage a package store. We upgraded to the chip reader at the beginning of this year having finally chucked the antiquated "dial a 1800 number to vertify swiped transactions" reader in the drat bin where it belonged. Note: That reader took about 30 seconds a swipe to process. The new reader runs via ethernet lines so swipes are near instant but the amount of bitching about the 30 seconds it takes to read a chip is absolutely mind boggling. Everybody should just slow the gently caress down and not whine bloody murder that their entire lives are inconvenienced because of slightly superior security options. The chip makes it more difficult to make fraudulent cards. The Pin makes it more secure for the bank. I've already busted two CC scammers (just earlier this month!) due to the chip trying to buy several hundred dollars worth of product with stolen credit card numbers. Knowing that those fuckers weren't able to get away with it is worth the extra wait for you the consumer.

Yes it's stupid that the manufacturer doesn't make sure every card has a pin enabled by default. You should be able to contact your bank and enable a pin of your own choosing, though when I was sent mine it had one hard coded already. According to a reuters report the pre-pinned cards are slightly more expensive to produce, however I cannot verify this independently. Please don't flip a lid at the register person for the teething issues of New Things. They've probably had to spend hours of their lives guiding Granny McMuffin through the process already.

/justretailthings

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

r0ck0 posted:

I just a got a new CC with a chip, I went to pay for something and I didn't need to enter a PIN. What is the point?

Attorney Generals from 9 states agree with you.

MC Hawking posted:

Note: That reader took about 30 seconds a swipe to process. The new reader runs via ethernet lines so swipes are near instant but the amount of bitching about the 30 seconds it takes to read a chip is absolutely mind boggling.

I'm used to swiping my card, entering my PIN, and being on my way. No wait. Done virtually instantly. So, yea, I'm going to bitch about waiting an additional 25 seconds.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. Not knowing which retailer actually uses the loving system makes it even worse.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 17, 2015

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Captial One has decided that pins are a pain and made some of their cards chip and signature instead of chip and pin.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 17, 2015

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm confused - in the UK we put our card in the machine, type in a PIN and literally a second later the machine says you can take your card out. Is there some aspect of the chip and sign process that necessitates leaving your card in the machine for 30 seconds? That'd piss me off too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The only thing that seems likely is often the cashier has to hit something on their end, I assume what amounts to "customer is paying by credit." If you're at Walmart or somewhere similar, that step can take awhile!

Otherwise I have no idea what people are talking about: I wait til the cashier finishes scanning everything, put in my card, wait 5 seconds (like literally that long, it's never been slow for me), and take it out.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
^Yup. While previously it was just a quick swipe and done, now you need to put it in while the cashier finishes the transaction, then wait another 20 seconds, and then the pin pad will beep and let you know to take it out. It takes way longer and is a huge pain in the rear end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ man that is awful

..btt posted:

I'm confused - in the UK we put our card in the machine, type in a PIN and literally a second later the machine says you can take your card out. Is there some aspect of the chip and sign process that necessitates leaving your card in the machine for 30 seconds? That'd piss me off too.

Yeah, that's how it works in Canada and NZ, so I have no idea what America is doing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

..btt posted:

Ours are slower, I guess. They're definitely slower than the swipe machines.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The machines can take ~30 seconds where I am but it feels much longer because customers love ignoring the instructions and pull the card out before it's done.

e: we've had chip/pin since 2011 or so, I honestly can't remember how long it used to take, but we had lovely machines then, too.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 17, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

YggiDee posted:

The machines can take ~30 seconds where I am but it feels much longer because customers love ignoring the instructions and pull the card out before it's done.

e: we've had chip/pin since 2011 or so, I honestly can't remember how long it used to take, but we had lovely machines then, too.

I work in retail and I explain to people how to use these loving things like a thousand times a day and it still takes way longer even when you do everything perfectly. gently caress chip readers.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I guess they only work well in countries not full of dumb people

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Skarsnik posted:

I guess they only work well in countries not full of dumb people

which one is that??

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well apparently everywhere other than America

I mean we've got some really loving stupid people here, but I have never had to explain to someone how to

Put card in
Type in pin
Take it out when the nice little machine says so

I mean holy poo poo, really??

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
So much credit card chat :captainpop:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

At the Target I go to it's obnoxiously longer. I'm using a debit card version of their redcard but it's still
- put card in, wait five seconds
- decline cash back, wait a few seconds
- type in pin, wait 10 seconds
- push yes asking if I'm sure I actually want to pay for everything with the card, wait another five seconds or so
- take card out within a second and a half of the screen displaying to remove my card because if you don't do it that fast the reader immediately starts loudly buzzing at you to do so

And if I'm spending more than like $20 I can add in another five seconds or so while it decides I have to sign. It's dumb, I hate it, as far as I can tell other customers paying with chip/pin hate it, and the cashiers don't like it any more because if I had to guess taking an extra 20 seconds per customer adds up over the day.

Captain Yossarian posted:

So much credit card chat :captainpop:

I guess it's just one of those things where you don't realize other people have a better/shittier time than you because you don't know any better.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 20, 2018

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Wrist Watch posted:

At the Target I go to it's obnoxiously longer. I'm using a debit card version of their redcard but it's still
- put card in, wait five seconds
- decline cash back, wait a few seconds
- type in pin, wait 10 seconds
- push yes asking if I'm sure I actually want to pay for everything with the card, wait another five seconds or so
- take card out within a second and a half of the screen displaying to remove my card because if you don't do it that fast the reader immediately starts loudly buzzing at you to do so

I have to go through all of those steps using my regular old magnetic stripe debit card at Target. Not sure if I have to wait as long as you do between steps, though. I don't feel like I do, but it seems like 90% of stores have a bunch of unnecessarily time-consuming extra poo poo tied to using cards anyway so maybe I'm just used to it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think the thing where you need to keep the chipped card in until the very end is especially annoying because, a few years before this was introduced, many retailers upgraded to "swipe at any time!" terminals where you could just swipe your card and have it back within your wallet while the items were still being scanned.

This is to say nothing of some retailers, like some Home Depot locations, simply not accepting non-chipped cards at all. It's loving annoying for something that used to be seamless.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Super fascinating ongoing credit card talk in The Android Thread.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don't get the convenience of Android or Samsung Pay, though. Why is it enticing to go out without a wallet? It's not like it takes up that much pocket space. This is a logistical difference for ladies, I'm aware, but I can't think of a situation where taking my wallet with me is more of an inconvenience than not taking it with me.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

BottleKnight posted:

I don't get the convenience of Android or Samsung Pay, though. Why is it enticing to go out without a wallet? It's not like it takes up that much pocket space. This is a logistical difference for ladies, I'm aware, but I can't think of a situation where taking my wallet with me is more of an inconvenience than not taking it with me.

Yeah I expect this is different for people who live places with usable public transit but I never go out without my wallet because it's where my driver's license is and I need that to drive.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

BottleKnight posted:

This is a logistical difference for ladies, I'm aware, but I can't think of a situation where taking my wallet with me is more of an inconvenience than not taking it with me.

It's nice not worrying about getting pick pocketed on the subway.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The rear end Stooge posted:

Yeah I expect this is different for people who live places with usable public transit but I never go out without my wallet because it's where my driver's license is and I need that to drive drink.

fixed.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I've been able to make contactless payments through my bank's android app with my phone for at least 2 years, and even longer with a little nfc sticker on my old S2. When I started using it, cashiers were pretty confused, one thought I had "hacked the eftpos machine!" until I showed him the app was from a bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

Super fascinating ongoing credit card talk in The Android Thread.

Yeah this. I think everyone knows the U.S. has a terrible banking system. I live here, it's really bad. I don't know what else can be covered here.

On an android note, are there any apps that could be considered a "must have" for a huge screen phone? (Obviously Netflix...)