Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Not just them, pretty much every blog that was active in that period except Atridos as well. There is a real hunger for a war, no matter what or why, from the same corner that really should know better.

David Roberts at Vox said it well: despite the fact that we've been fighting daesh for months already it doesn't "feel" like a real war unless we do the requisite amount of flag-waving and chest-beating.

https://storify.com/quizeye/us-foreign-policy

RuanGacho posted:

I feel like the most productive thing to do right now is to get people to stop watching cable news.

I've stays away from cable news for years now and it's really amazing how much of a difference that makes on your intellectual palate and blood pressure. It's like quitting soda; you think nothing of drinking multiple cans of it beforehand, but if you have a sip after abstaining for a long time it's way more disgusting than you ever imagined.

Riosan posted:

What the gently caress is this? No, I get it, it's Trump pandering as usual, but what the gently caress.

"Nuh uh, ISIS can't touch me, I'm in a safe zone." Does that safety also extend to drone strikes? This is giving me a headache.

The stuff coming out of Trump's mouth is perfectly acceptable from some dickhead in a bar talking your ear off while you pretend to listen but horrifying and unacceptable from a presidential candidate. Sadly too many people can't separate the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

That doesn't clear anything up. If their "concerns" aren't based on racism, then what are they based on? Because they have nothing to fear from these people.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

So Trump's answer to everything is "build a wall"?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phone posted:

So Trump's answer to everything is "build a wall"?

A yooge, luxurious wall!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

That doesn't clear anything up. If their "concerns" aren't based on racism, then what are they based on? Because they have nothing to fear from these people.

I don't think you get to tell people what they fear, because fear often is not logical...

For instance, it isn't logical that I would be so afraid of spiders that webs creep me the gently caress out and I have to kill them from distance. That said, here we are.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Politico reporting Hillary has flipped on the FAMILY act (Gillibrand's paid family leave bill) because it raises taxes to pay for it. Also hitting Bernie in most of his proposals on the same grounds.

2016 will be a turnout election, which means getting the base amped, not playing to the center. They must be starting to believe that the GOP is so hosed right now that they can offer weak mush despite their pull with youth and minority vote being as soft as it is.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

Well, the Boston bombing is probably figuring into Baker's concerns. I agree with what your saying but, I don't think Democrats are going to be able to just dismiss these concerns. There needs to be a more positive response than just, "there is nothing to fear here, move along".

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, how is this piece "nuanced"? It's literally just "these people aren't bigots because I say so," when it should be immediately obvious that you don't have to be a bigot to engage in bigoted, opportunistic behavior because, say, you want to jump on a popular Republican bandwagon that makes it look as though you're being Tough on Terrorism. Even smart, highly respected people will readily do truly horrible things because they think they're in their personal best interest.

EDIT: ^^^ This is still a clear messaging coup, and the government and refugee advocacy/resettlement should have immediately begun running interference and explaining their screening procedures as clearly as humanly possible. Many of which are already on it, to be clear.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Hillary loses I wonder who the scapegoat will be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The monkeys that will be flying out of our butts.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Politico reporting Hillary has flipped on the FAMILY act (Gillibrand's paid family leave bill) because it raises taxes to pay for it. Also hitting Bernie in most of his proposals on the same grounds.

2016 will be a turnout election, which means getting the base amped, not playing to the center. They must be starting to believe that the GOP is so hosed right now that they can offer weak mush despite their pull with youth and minority vote being as soft as it is.

It's an indication that Hillary's team believe that they have the primary in hand and can concentrate on broader appeal for the general.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Yeah, how is this piece "nuanced"? It's literally just "these people aren't bigots because I say so," when it should be immediately obvious that you don't have to be a bigot to engage in bigoted, opportunistic behavior because, say, you want to jump on a popular Republican bandwagon that makes it look as though you're being Tough on Terrorism. Even smart, highly respected people will readily do truly horrible things because they think they're in their personal best interest.

If the Democrats response to these Governors is going to be, "you fuckers are racists and bigots and you're stupid too", then be prepared for to get hosed by this issue for months to come. Hillary and Bernie and Obama need to have more in their responses than just, "you people are stupid bigots".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Is there even a center anymore?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

radical meme posted:

If the Democrats response to these Governors is going to be, "you fuckers are racists and bigots and you're stupid too", then be prepared for to get hosed by this issue for months to come. Hillary and Bernie and Obama need to have more in their responses than just, "you people are stupid bigots".

Good thing that's what they're already doing.

And of course no serious politician is going to just call any other politician up and just say "stop being a bigot".

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,"

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

radical meme posted:

Their responses should be more politic than that, but why should they have more than that?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Fox News continues Latino outreach

And limited Latina outreach I suppose

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Good thing that's what they're already doing.

And of course no serious politician is going to just call any other politician up and just say "stop being a bigot".

And this leads to the problem with a lot of Democrat positions; trying to explain a complicated solution to a Right Wing sound bite.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

The Democratic party as a whole is center-right.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Akumu posted:

Their responses should be more politic than that, but why should they have more than that?

Because a lot of Democratic voters are just as concerned about the possibility of terrorists in their own backyard.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Radish posted:

If Hillary loses I wonder who the scapegoat will be.

It'll be the same thing like when they lost in 2000 and 2004. "It's all those loving leftists fault for not turning out and voting for someone who didn't have any positions they supported."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Instead of going negative and calling them out for being the bigots they are, the Dems should go positive and appeal to the Republican sense of human decency and empathy... :smith:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gov. Hogan Requests No More Syrian Refugees To Md.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

radical meme posted:

Because a lot of Democratic voters are just as concerned about the possibility of terrorists in their own backyard.

Our leaders should lead, not pander. Treating xenophobic and racist fears as legitimate only does a disservice to our nation.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

radical meme posted:

And this leads to the problem with a lot of Democrat positions; trying to explain a complicated solution to a Right Wing sound bite.

Yep. :sigh:

^^ I don't think they're pandering as much as "Hey, here are the facts about our screening process, are you really sure you know what you're doing here? Yes? OK then. :suicide:"

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Akumu posted:

Our leaders should lead, not pander. Treating xenophobic and racist fears as legitimate only does a disservice to our nation.

pretend I actually knew how to post that ever increasing ironicat gif here and did it

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's an indication that Hillary's team believe that they have the primary in hand and can concentrate on broader appeal for the general.

:cripes: Flipping on paid family leave is not going to win her votes; because it's something that both left AND middle can get behind.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

KomradeX posted:

It'll be the same thing like when they lost in 2000 and 2004. "It's all those loving leftists fault for not turning out and voting for someone who didn't have any positions they supported."

No, it won't, because President Trump will kill us all in a torrent of yooge nuclear fire.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Americans don't deserve paid family leave.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The fact that she's trying to move towards the center, and over something like this, before the primaries are even over is not making me feel very good about her.

Alter Ego posted:

No, it won't, because President Trump will kill us all in a torrent of yooge nuclear fire.

The President we deserve.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rhesus Pieces posted:

David Roberts at Vox said it well: despite the fact that we've been fighting daesh for months already it doesn't "feel" like a real war unless we do the requisite amount of flag-waving and chest-beating.

https://storify.com/quizeye/us-foreign-policy

It seems as if Obama isn't good at flag-waving and chest-beating. Perhaps its time for someone in office who is.

There are actionable steps Obama can take to chest-beat and flag-wave, such as:

- Launching visible operations that will capture the media cycle in their loudness

- Ramping up to a declaration of war against ISIL, ala 2003

- Taking action to clarify his Syrian refuge policy in light of public opinion

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alter Ego posted:

:cripes: Flipping on paid family leave is not going to win her votes; because it's something that both left AND middle can get behind.

She hasn't flipped, she says she has "another solution" funded by general revenue instead of a (0.2%) payroll tax but hasn't given any details.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

To be a fly on the wall of the meeting where they decided "yes, now is the time to announce we're against paid family leave, Americans will just eat up our low tax stance!"

Talk about admitting defeat before the battle's even begun.

EDIT: ^^ Welp, never mind. Abandoning it altogether to tackle the general just sounded all too plausible.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So back in February, Obama asked for congress to declare war and congress refused because his plan was too limited.

So, what is stopping congress from working on another plan that authorizes more force and putting that through?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

It seems as if Obama isn't good at flag-waving and chest-beating. Perhaps its time for someone in office who is.

- Ramping up to a declaration of war against ISIL, ala 2003

#2 was entirely the fault of the GOP and AUMF.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Akumu posted:

Sorry, but leaders who pander to the lowest common denominator to maintain their personal power is the flaw that Democracy took when it filled out its character sheet.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

To be a fly on the wall of the meeting where they decided "yes, now is the time to announce we're against paid family leave, American's will just eat up our low tax stance!"

Talk about admitting defeat before the battle's even begun.

EDIT: ^^ Welp, never mind. Abandoning it altogether to tackle the general just sounded all too plausible.

It sounded like Hillary--that's why it sounded plausible.

The Democratic field this time out scares the everloving poo poo out of me. O'Malley's in the weeds, Bernie is 900 years old, and Hillary is...Hillary. Those are our choices?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

So back in February, Obama asked for congress to declare war and congress refused because his plan was too limited.

So, what is stopping congress from working on another plan and putting that through?

Doing anything that even approaches cooperation with Obama is unacceptable.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Doctor Butts posted:

So, what is stopping congress from working on another plan and putting that through?

Congress doesn't care about making things happen, they just want Obama's plans to not happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Just tax everyone at 99% except the rich and complete the dark enlightenment.

*mashes on peddle furiously trying to accelerate instead is a boot mashing on humanity forever*

• Locked thread