Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Manky posted:

There are a number of fine films featuring video games - and I don't mean your home movies! Have you seen The King of Kong?

its funny you should say that, in my top 5 movies of all time King of Kong rests at the number 4 spot! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Would anyone be interested in an OGame thread? Does anyone here even play it? I started playing on a new 5x uni recently more as practice for when they release their international throwback universe soon™ , just seeing if there is any interest.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

VideoGames posted:

what are we planning on playing, gamers?

Fallout 4 - Haven't really played a Bethesda game since Oblivion and it's fun wandering around the world just stumbling onto stuff and the upgrade and settlement system are pretty nice. The one downside is it seems like fusion cores and ammo for the minigun are super scarce though maybe I'll find somebody that sells them later on.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - Getting the near the end and I'm hitting the same wall I did when I first played it, where I feel like I just need to grind out levels, cards, and equipment to stand a chance against the last couple of sections.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

theultimo posted:

Fun fact: japan is on a recession again

It never left did it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am playing Remember Me. I can see where a lot of people's complaints about the game are coming from but really strong art direction + a fast-moving plot are usually enough to carry a game for me, so I think I'll actually finish it. I enjoy all the ways that you can gently caress up the memory remixes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Fallout 4 - Haven't really played a Bethesda game since Oblivion and it's fun wandering around the world just stumbling onto stuff and the upgrade and settlement system are pretty nice. The one downside is it seems like fusion cores and ammo for the minigun are super scarce though maybe I'll find somebody that sells them later on.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - Getting the near the end and I'm hitting the same wall I did when I first played it, where I feel like I just need to grind out levels, cards, and equipment to stand a chance against the last couple of sections.

You know about the COTM glitch where you can use any card combo? That can help near the end

Worse case scenario do the skeleton morph and spam bones till you get the giant one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's perfectly possible to finish CotM without grinding for cards or whatever, it's a tough game though. The card system was kind of half arsed too since the drop rate is so low it's possible to finish it while only ever finding like five or something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

I am playing Remember Me. I can see where a lot of people's complaints about the game are coming from but really strong art direction + a fast-moving plot are usually enough to carry a game for me, so I think I'll actually finish it. I enjoy all the ways that you can gently caress up the memory remixes.

Yeah it's an acceptably entertaining game, just kind of "forgettable" :haw:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah it's an acceptably entertaining game, just kind of "forgettable" :haw:

It definitely has that generic "Unreal Engine 3" kinda vibe that's hard to describe but instantly recognizable in every game that uses it.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

It definitely has that generic "Unreal Engine 3" kinda vibe that's hard to describe but instantly recognizable in every game that uses it.

Texture pop-in?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's perfectly possible to finish CotM without grinding for cards or whatever, it's a tough game though. The card system was kind of half arsed too since the drop rate is so low it's possible to finish it while only ever finding like five or something.

Yeah, definitely I just remember kinda giving up when I hit Dracula when I played it on release, and yeah the drop rate for the cards kinda sucks. At least this time I can look up what enemies drop what cards.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FanaticalMilk posted:

I still have yet to find a good source of minigun ammo but fusion cores become pretty common to find while doing regular exploration. Usually in sets of 4. Also, the traveling merchant Carla always seems to have at least one for sale.

I too just cleaned up the water treatment plant for the robot community. Maybe I should actually head into Diamond City at some point...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the best source of minigun ammo is to kill guys with miniguns

i'm level 10 and have tons of ammo except i have only found literally ten (10) bullets for my snub-nosed .44 revolver, which for some reason is the highest damage gun i own?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Paladinus posted:

Pixels. All the good games are in this movie.

if i want a game to evoke childhood videogame nostalgia i just watch gettysburg

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Yeah, definitely I just remember kinda giving up when I hit Dracula when I played it on release, and yeah the drop rate for the cards kinda sucks. At least this time I can look up what enemies drop what cards.

When you activate the cards by pressing L mid animation you can switch to any card Combo even with cards you don't have and it'll work. You just need 2 cards to use every combo in the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm a huge Circle of the Moon fan, I will go to 'bat' for that game.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I really liked all the Castlevania games with Soma despite the anime art style. I'm a bigger fan of the style of Circle of the Moon from a style perspective.

And yes, I know SOTN is kinda anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought Dawn of Sorrow was a huge step down from Aria of Sorrow, which is the last CV game I really loved.

I guess I don't like most of the Metroidvanias, on the whole. Symphony, Circle, Aria, and that's about it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

StashAugustine posted:

if i want a game to evoke childhood videogame nostalgia i just watch gettysburg

Pixels to me looks like lovely knockoff videogame themed copybook: the movie. Used to have some in elementary school, one with knockoff qbert and another with knockoff pacman. Only this time Sony licensed the characters to create the movie.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i liked pixels better when it was a futurama episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Dawn of Sorrow was a huge step down from Aria of Sorrow, which is the last CV game I really loved.

I guess I don't like most of the Metroidvanias, on the whole. Symphony, Circle, Aria, and that's about it.

Ecclesia is the best one though

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Instant Sunrise posted:

Or a 10 minute short film not containing Adam Sandler.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm gonna wreck it

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

PantsBandit posted:

I'm gonna wreck it

Precisely.
(Even if the story of Wreck It Ralph is reskinned Tron)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sakurazuka posted:

I still need to play that one.

For whatever reason I played both of the new Lords of Shadow games and they're both pretty terrible even though some of the music and setting/ambiance is cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

have you played the others warriors games? how does pirate warriors 3 compare?

In terms of pure Musou games I think it's pretty much the best there is. It lacks the more natural level design of HW but the combat is deeper and pretty much every character is fun and interesting. It also runs pretty smooth and had tons of enemies on screen even in split screen. If you're not familiar with the source. The game retells almost the entire series so far and there is a crap ton of stuff to do after you beat story mode. I've been playing it weekly with a friend since it came out and there is still a lot to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Still didn't play that one. Portrait of Ruin was so boring it turned me off the next IGAvania.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only Igavania I don't like is Harmony of Dissonance, the rest are various degrees of Really Great.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

axleblaze posted:

In terms of pure Musou games I think it's pretty much the best there is. It lacks the more natural level design of HW but the combat is deeper and pretty much every character is fun and interesting. It also runs pretty smooth and had tons of enemies on screen even in split screen. If you're not familiar with the source. The game retells almost the entire series so far and there is a crap ton of stuff to do after you beat story mode. I've been playing it weekly with a friend since it came out and there is still a lot to do.

I absolutely love one piece, I was just worried if the gameplay was at least serviceable. Thanks.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Instant Sunrise posted:

This is true, but it's a perfectly fine summer popcorn flick. Provided you don't have anything else to watch.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I downloaded Front Mission 3 from the PS Store and it's still just as great as I remember.

Everybody should play that game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttzO48qSJ-Y

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
hello thread! i have a question that has occured after reading about WoW. I tried to find a WoW thread in the blizzard subforum and couldnt so i assume no one really cares about it.

if someone was to buy WoW now, what sort of game do they play? I know there have been expansions and Im wondering how it works if you are a brand new player. do you buy a version with them all in? or do you only get access to the starting area? is the starting area different because of the expansions? how do they act in regards to totally new people? (im not an MMO player, just very curious!)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

I absolutely love one piece, I was just worried if the gameplay was at least serviceable. Thanks.

If you love OP, you'll be in heaven, if only because you'll get to play Ivankov, which is all you should care about

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I downloaded Front Mission 3 from the PS Store and it's still just as great as I remember.

Everybody should play that game.

I love that game and I love that it has two fairly different branches in storyline starting early based on a seemingly completely innocuous choice.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

bloodychill posted:

I love that game and I love that it has two fairly different branches in storyline starting early based on a seemingly completely innocuous choice.

Every FM after was such a complete letdown.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

axleblaze posted:

If you love OP, you'll be in heaven, if only because you'll get to play Ivankov, which is all you should care about

Iva-san is a beast too. Hell Wink in Big Head mode is as big and strong as a special attack.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Don't forget that Pirate Warriors 3 lets you do cool things like dash cancels. It changes the pace of the game completely.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

I enjoyed it and had no idea for YEARS that that branching story existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i'm looking forward to playing some games on my pstv. waiting for cyber monday to get a good memory card. already got the pstv for like 30 bucks

• Locked thread