Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Kind of the problem of the modern model of the highly decentralized and distributed activist organization is that it's harder to disavow fringe elements expressing opinions. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the MU protesters were horrified by the France attacks but the ten people that posted hashtag gently caress france are the ones that get all the ink. Obviously the no journalists thing was just a small group of protesters that probably didn't represent anyone else's opinion, but since there is no leadership structure to disavow it, people are free to frame the issue around that small group. And a lot of people who otherwise were sympathetic to the protests were majorly turned off by the journalist thing.
Yeah I think that's fair but that's still just the fence-sitters. Like even before that there was a lot of "jesus christ" southpark-y kind of reactions.

PupsOfWar posted:

hmm why do your friends, the least-racist quintile of white people, sound like they agree with kentucky rednecks on a lot of things w/r/t race

maybe they arent actually the least-racist quintile of whites
I DID NOT SEE THIS RESPONSE COMING WHOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

it is my sincere belief that the people most talkative about yale and mizzou stuff are white folk

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PupsOfWar posted:

hmm why do your friends, the least-racist quintile of white people, sound like they agree with kentucky rednecks on a lot of things w/r/t race

maybe they arent actually the least-racist quintile of whites

pretty sure it's just that white people are fantastically racist so that even the bottom 20% is still really racist

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

these are the two i have questions about because the first one just seems like a less facially absurd "but there are kids dying in darfur" argument but maybe i am missing something

i don't get what the second one means at all

the two i excised i understand even if i think they're flawed for various reasons

i watched a very good doc on kareem this weekend and when he decided to become a public activist for black civil rights, a lot of the backlash he got was "you make poo poo tons of money, what are you bitching about". there's a difference between macro privilege and micro privilege. while it's indisputable that on the whole white people are vastly more advantaged by society than minorities, a black kid that grew up more or less middle class who goes to an ivy league isn't going to be able to effectively communicate the message of white privilege to a poor white dude working two jobs and struggling bad

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Warszawa posted:

these are the two i have questions about because the first one just seems like a less facially absurd "but there are kids dying in darfur" argument but maybe i am missing something

the two i excised i understand even if i think they're flawed for various reasons
-First one I don't know what else to say, basically akin to saying "first world problems" I guess
-There was a political correctness "CRAZE" in the mid 90s across campuses that looked a bit like this. Basically what the movie PCU was about, which I don't bring up as a teachable lesson or anything just that it was "in the air" enough for somebody to make a movie about it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

it is my sincere belief that the people most talkative about yale and mizzou stuff are white folk

almost every nonwhite person i know who has posted about it has been supportive

of course, there's still some rotten (rich chinese) apples as we talked about on sunday

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

UberJew posted:

pretty sure it's just that white people are fantastically racist so that even the bottom 20% is still really racist

I'm not sure I'd call racism fantastic.

So who's the real racist?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

so?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

pangstrom posted:

I DID NOT SEE THIS RESPONSE COMING WHOA

"they done made us give 'em the vote and have a negrah president, what more do they want?!?"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'm not sure I'd call racism fantastic.

So who's the real racist?

statistically probably you

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

PupsOfWar posted:

"they done made us give 'em the vote and have a negrah president, what more do they want?!?"
Keep it coming oh yeah!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Berke Negri posted:

statistically probably you

:bahgawd:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

do companions use up your ammo or do they have their own supply

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

anyhoo so I've heard fallout 4 has secks

but does it have gay secks?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

i believe so

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PupsOfWar posted:

There was a survey in MS a few years back that said black people had "enough" rights and should stop protesting now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PupsOfWar posted:

It's Problematic: Bethesda decided the best approach is every companion you can romance is bisexual

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

do companions use up your ammo or do they have their own supply

their default weapons are unlimited ammo and any weapon you give them will need to have ammo supplied to or they switch to their default

I try to have everyone using their own type of ammo to kind of spread things around

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's Problematic: Bethesda decided the best approach is every companion you can romance is bisexual

Post-apocalypse you kinda take what you can get so this makes sense I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

their default weapons are unlimited ammo and any weapon you give them will need to have ammo supplied to or they switch to their default

I try to have everyone using their own type of ammo to kind of spread things around

are their defaults any good

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

i watched a very good doc on kareem this weekend and when he decided to become a public activist for black civil rights, a lot of the backlash he got was "you make poo poo tons of money, what are you bitching about". there's a difference between macro privilege and micro privilege. while it's indisputable that on the whole white people are vastly more advantaged by society than minorities, a black kid that grew up more or less middle class who goes to an ivy league isn't going to be able to effectively communicate the message of white privilege to a poor white dude working two jobs and struggling bad

yeah but the people publicly scolding the yale kids aren't poor white dudes struggling they're people writing commentary and like pangstrom's academic friends

i get the communication gap issue but the criticism was bullshit with Kareem and it's bullshit now

like the second you get the clout to be listened to, that clout invalidates your position to speak

that's probably the design tbh

pangstrom posted:

-First one I don't know what else to say, basically akin to saying "first world problems" I guess
-There was a political correctness "CRAZE" in the mid 90s across campuses that looked a bit like this. Basically what the movie PCU was about, which I don't bring up as a teachable lesson or anything just that it was "in the air" enough for somebody to make a movie about it.

hm ok

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

hmm dadchat did not exist during Dragon Age 2

how do folks feel about this approach

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

call me naïve, but i did not believe a basic belief in due process and the rule of law were fringe positions in any western democracy in 2015

And yet Here we are

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

like, it's not bad to comment on it or anything and y'all make good points, but it's weird how much white people i know care about this compared to my non-white friends, supportive or otherwise

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Luigi Thirty posted:

but thats not a real thing!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

The Warszawa posted:

There is nothing absurd about the position "Yale kids can get hosed everywhere and at all times"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

like, it's not bad to comment on it or anything and y'all make good points, but it's weird how much white people i know care about this compared to my non-white friends, supportive or otherwise

because in the story of racism, white people are the villains, and no one wants to be a villain

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

PupsOfWar posted:

we just went over this recently re swtor but at the time I think it's fine to let players choose while badge think its lame

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Maoist Pussy posted:

There is nothing absurd about the position "Yale kids can get hosed everywhere and at all times"

well if it isn't aaron burr, sir!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

pangstrom posted:

Keep it coming oh yeah!

look that just seemed like a lame disclaimer/qualifier, man

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

we just went over this recently re swtor but at the time I think it's fine to let players choose while badge think its lame

people are going to get upset no matter what. people are supermad that Bobby Iceman Drake is gay now not because of political correctness gone mad but because of bi erasure.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

people are going to get upset no matter what. people are supermad that Bobby Iceman Drake is gay now not because of political correctness gone mad but because of bi erasure.

that's progress

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not sure if there is a way a video game that treats relationships as an achievement to be gained with relationship points could avoid being problematic about it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

it's problematic

unironically

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

in dragon age: inquisition I thought the convo where cassandra let my turbogay lady wizard down easy was pretty good

convo where cullen let my turbogay rogue dude down easy was less of a production

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

UberJew posted:

i'm not sure if there is a way a video game that treats relationships as an achievement to be gained with relationship points could avoid being problematic about it

eh i dunno fallout 4 does the interpersonal stuff pretty well in convos with companions, saying that as someone who probably isn't going to ever do a romance

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

it's problematic

unironically

its more to let players pick and choose who they want to be RP romancing with than a statement on the nature of irl human sexuality

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"We cannot date eachother, robot insect man, because Bi people don't exist."

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

pangstrom posted:

Keep it coming oh yeah!

I think you're getting guff because of the "but by any measure in the least-racist quintile for white people" statement isn't really sound unless you have a pretty good source for it

there are many types of racism that different groups adopt; maybe poor folks are more susceptible to a violent, militant isolationist racism while some rich folks are susceptible to racist classical liberal ideas of benevolent assimilation. they're both harmful racist concepts, and stick around because most of western philosophy which we've built our modern sociopolitical practices upon came from thinkers who also often held a staunchly western, white judeo-christian identity.

so some measures might say "yeah this group is less susceptible to holding beliefs of Racism type 1" but I don't know if it'd work across the board to categorically for all types of racist beliefs, because racist isolationism and racist interventionism directly clash with each other

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yo badge are there bad anti torture papers or is that what separates the bad writers from the good

• Locked thread