Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Zaggitz posted:

All I can think of is how we haven't even reached Sioux Falls yet.

Isn't The Pearl, I think it's called--the hotel--in Sioux Falls? Totally serious question.

e: I've been assuming it's the hotel Lou alludes to in the first season. Again, though, I'm liable to misremember and make that sort of mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh my god that barricade.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Toplowtech posted:

Of course, the crazy conspiration theorist guy is the only laywer in town.

I like that, too. Not only is the one lawyer a conspiracy nut, but he's the only lawyer locally, which sets up some fun hypothetical scenarios.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The Karl barricade I mean.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Isn't The Pearl, I think it's called--the hotel--in Sioux Falls? Totally serious question.

e: I've been assuming it's the hotel Lou alludes to in the first season. Again, though, I'm liable to misremember and make that sort of mistake.

Hm I don't remember about that, but I do know the seminar Peggy is itching to go to is in Sioux Falls.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Zaggitz posted:

Hm I don't remember about that, but I do know the seminar Peggy is itching to go to is in Sioux Falls.

Yeah, and when you add all that together, I can easily see the making of the blood-soaked memories of Lou's that prompted this season's narrative.

Frostwerks posted:

Not only was it some great writing, that scene, but also a fantastic performance. I hadn't personally seen that sort of range from Offerman before, and it was refreshing. He did a good job selling the whole "man armed with words alone with a gun in his face" situation. Someone else beat me to the comparison, but it was very Saul Goodman-esque in more ways than just the situation of legal savvy vs. violent criminal intent. It was also a respected comedian doing a great job selling a dramatic role.

e: I also loved that it was Ed trying to use TV knowledge to save his hide that put that part of the plot into motion and ultimately saved the precinct from Bear's assault.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frostwerks posted:

When Lou comes back and the door opens the opposite direction to the barricade anyway :laugh:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That was great, the only thing that slightly irritated me was Dodd both shooting his own guy and dropping his cattle prod to keep Peggy alive and get the show to Sioux Falls.

Speaking of, her confession to Ted Danson was fantastic. She was building herself a coccoon of future possibilities while trapped in a museum of Ed's past, then she ran Rye over and saw a chance to unlock those possibilities. Just trying to be the best Peggy she can be.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Simone still giving me dirty nasty special feelings on the reg

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ruddiger posted:

What was Milligan quoting as they were heading out to wreck poo poo? I didn't recognize it.

This is hosed up

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Bokeem Woodbine reciting Jabberwocky is one of those things I never knew I needed in my life until it was happening. The second he said "'Twas brillig..." I turned into that Vince McMahon gif.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Illinois Smith posted:

That was great, the only thing that slightly irritated me was Dodd both shooting his own guy and dropping his cattle prod to keep Peggy alive and get the show to Sioux Falls.

I don't think it's out of character. Dodd pretends to be a lot more competent than he is. It's why the mother doesn't want him taking over the business.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What a ridiculously good episode, Jesus Christ this show is good. I knew it was going to be a big episode with last week's ending, but I had no idea it was going to be this good.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Illinois Smith posted:

Speaking of, her confession to Ted Danson was fantastic. She was building herself a coccoon of future possibilities while trapped in a museum of Ed's past, then she ran Rye over and saw a chance to unlock those possibilities. Just trying to be the best Peggy she can be.

I don't care if I'm the only person in this thread who wants it, but I want Peggy to have a happy ending. I have no idea why. I just want her to make it to California and chill on the beach. I want the final shot of the season to be her sipping a drink out a coconut as she reads a magazine.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

When Lou comes back and the door opens the opposite direction to the barricade anyway :laugh:

thank you ted, that was the joke.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I was thrown off by the Jabberwocky reading too (not in a bad way, but like Terra-da-loo said, puzzled by the significance of its inclusion.) I'd like to posit that, in addition to whatever the initial purpose was, it was meant to mirror Karl Weather's tangled prose in some way. He's on a mission too but he might as well be spouting gibberish.

Also I don't think Dodd shot his own guy to keep him quiet, he was just startled by the loud noise and accidentally shot his own guy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

I don't care if I'm the only person in this thread who wants it, but I want Peggy to have a happy ending. I have no idea why. I just want her to make it to California and chill on the beach. I want the final shot of the season to be her sipping a drink out a coconut as she reads a magazine.
i can see her dying saving Ed and Ed going to California and living happy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Dodd just panicked when he shot Goon #2. Peggy dropped a sink on the one who kept whimpering.

Kirsten Dunst killed it this week. I loved how ratty Peggy got while evading Hank, I think she was better than Lester's comparable scenes last season.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I just want all the Gerhardts to be wiped out. I hate that archetype of the supposedly "sympathetic" gangster family, who does a bunch of murderous gangster rear end poo poo then vows revenge when it bites them in the rear end.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I want my violent gangsters to be strictly business.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Guy A. Person posted:

I just want all the Gerhardts to be wiped out. I hate that archetype of the supposedly "sympathetic" gangster family, who does a bunch of murderous gangster rear end poo poo then vows revenge when it bites them in the rear end.

What if they are wiped out except for the old man. That would be more poetic.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm getting a real Frances McDormand from Burn After Reading vibe from Peggy. Her vanity leads to a selfish act that ultimately sets the entire rube goldberg-esque plot into motion. Reciting her goals to anybody who will listen, like a mantra, acts as shield against anyone that has nefarious purposes toward her. Once the smoke clears and everybody is dead, and the survivors are left scratching their heads, she stands free and uninhibited, having received exactly what she wanted in the first place.

Edit: In this comparison Ed would be most like Brad Pitt: sharing in her delusion, he attempts to help her carry out her rudimentary plot unaware of how in over his head he is. We all remember what happened to Brad Pitt in that film.

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 17, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Kirsten Dunst has completely turned it around, not sure why she was so blah in episode 1 but right now I'm enjoying her performance more than Plemons and I kinda hope she ends up murdering him and becomes the focal point of the show or something.

Basically I hope she's this season's Lester Nygard.

I think my wish is coming true. :)

e: I know it won't happen, but I just want a happy ending for Bear and his kid.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Was this episode called Home Turf or Home Field advantage?

Lotta home base stuff not going so well. Like the police station being seiged, an escape into the woods which then becomes redman's home turf.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

I think my wish is coming true. :)

e: I know it won't happen, but I just want a happy ending for Bear and his kid.

Charlie becomes a lawyer, goes to work for Karl, and marries Noreen. (But really, they'll all be dead soon.)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Just remembered Odenkirk was in S1. Connects with the lawyer talk again. :)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i guess my interpretation of its significance is that it shows a group of cows all together and one cow off on its own. it's been shown more than once and i think the point it to show that ed (and maybe peggy? i don't remember her looking at it though) understand the tension in the relationship has a lot to do with the choice between whether to focus on the collective or the individual. the first time ed looks at it i got the impression that he understood himself to be with the group of cows, but peggy wants to be the solitary cow going to her hippie self-actualization seminar in sioux falls. then once the butcher shop burns down, ed looks at it again and he realizes the irony that peggy is now joining the herd by selling her car and he is the solitary cow by wanting to bolt. you could also read it as ed trying to pull peggy at first toward the herd, and then once the poo poo hits the fan trying to pull her toward the solitary side.

poo poo, didn't read this at first becasue of the word count but

Ohhhh now I understand that loving painting

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ohhhh, foreshadowing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Guy A. Person posted:

Are the Gerhardts as a whole really sympathetic, though? Dodd is a shithead, Otto is/was apparently a violent monster, Simone is kind of tragic but also pretty terrible and shortsighted. Floyd is the only person who isn't obviously horrible, and she's also been the one trying to avoid the murderous gangster rear end poo poo at every turn.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Are the Gerhardts as a whole really sympathetic, though? Dodd is a shithead, Otto is/was apparently a violent monster, Simone is kind of tragic but also pretty terrible and shortsighted. Floyd is the only person who isn't obviously horrible, and she's also been the one trying to avoid the murderous gangster rear end poo poo at every turn.

Yea that's fair. We are obviously supposed to hate Dodd. Bear I feel like we were supposed to think of him as more reasonable at least until this episode. Even Floyd though sent everyone to siege a police department to get her grandson back. I guess I am just rooting for them to get taken out before they kill any of the good characters :ohdear:

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

A handful of shows think that good writing is making you care about a character and then killing them. To me, whats more challenging is writing them into situations that seems like they have a slim chance of getting out of and while baiting the viewer into beleiving that anyone can die at anytime and finding an inventive and beleiveable way for the character to get out.

The problem with dangerous situations in shows like Fargo is that they have diminishing returns. This early in the season, it's acceptable for there to be a heavily-armed standoff between characters who we know to have killed people where everyone walks out alive, but every one of these situations becomes decreasingly believable with each one, because by the fourth time a Gerhardt points a gun at Lou we know they're not going to pull the trigger.

I don't think Fargo has this problem, especially because its keeps the kills coming fast enough that the violence feels weighty, but Breaking Bad definitely did by the end of its run (season 4 onward). If a character repeatedly makes decisions that they know will get them killed and then talks/thinks their way out of it, the situations are no longer tense because the outcome is expected and the audience knows that any violence will simply happen to a character who isn't played by an actor whose name shows up in the opening credits.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I really like Bear's actor and character but I keep imagining him as Brett Gelman going full Deliverance and now I kind of wish that's what it was.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

sector_corrector posted:

I don't think it's out of character. Dodd pretends to be a lot more competent than he is. It's why the mother doesn't want him taking over the business.

He's a prideful bully that routinely underestimates women. Like, most of the bad poo poo that happens to the Gerhardts happens directly because Dodd is an abusive misogynist. Even stuff like Rye getting killed can be linked to Dodd being a lovely brother. Bear's son playing hitman wouldn't have happened without Dodd.

His introduction is him attempting to intimidate a man he doesn't realize he's accidentally tortured to death. He's an idiot goon.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Fargo S02E06, "Rhinoceros" is the best episode of television I've ever seen. Was on one rear end cheek the entire time and seriously enjoyed every second. To me, each episode this season is better than the last. So I hope I don't spoil the expectation that the rest of the season will be even better.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
That door barricade was totally a Lebowski reference. Dunst was incredible this week, monologues and basement warfare.

Who would have ever expected this when they announced a Fargo TV show out of the blue 3 years ago.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm sure I could find something on it with a Google or something, but does anyone know right off what the title ("Rhinoceros") may be an allusion to? I sort of feel like it may be referring to the whole "starring down a beast" theme, but that's a total guess.

There's a French play named "Rhinoceros" but offhand all I remember is everyone turning into rhinos. Something very avant garde that I read in high school English.

quote:

Edit: To offer up a brief analysis of my own regarding Milligan reciting Jabberwocky: It's a work that's a prime example of a nonsense poem, but its tone is foreboding and warns of violent imagery. To put it as simply as I can: I'd argue it's the character of Milligan acknowledging the mindlessness of the violence his job and this particular situation in general involves. Assuming it's something along those lines that were intended, that's what has me fixated. Mike is super aware of the situation, beyond what his character should be.

Unless you consider the possibility that he's an alien observer.

God drat it, I have actual work of my own to do and think about.

I like your interpretation. One thing that has always struck me about Jabberwocky poem is that if you speak it aloud it basically sounds like it means something and that you're hearing is just off, or that your brain has turned it into gibberish. We had to memorize it in school.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

when i saw the end-credits fade in i had to check the time, because i swear only 20 minutes passed since i started watching :stare:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Pron on VHS posted:

Alan Sepinwall said on Twitter that tonight's episode will have us smiling for the entire time, or something like that

Well he was right. That episode was incredible. It felt like a season finale.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Was this the first UFO-free episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That was some loving incredible television. I'm not well versed on the behind the scenes action for fargo, is there going to be a third season?

• Locked thread