Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'll say while the dialogue is definitely more restrictive than it used to be, I find it easier to roleplay in Fallout 4 because of how the camera is pulled out to show your character speaking. It actually makes it feel like the face I designed in the beginning has meaning, and helps remind me of the meaning I personally associated with the face when I made it.

That's been one of my main issues with the Bethesda games in the past, you make a character but unless you're using 3rd person you never really see them after that initial character creation screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

precision posted:

I must be the only one who doesn't mind picking "Sarcastic" and having the game surprise me. The female VA in FO4 is great, as to be expected from the VA for Jack from ME.

I went with a female protagonist and also take sarcastic every time it comes up. The VA is perfect for the role.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
This might be well known but the dialogue is in a fairly particular format most of the time. So yeah, you don't know exactly what you're going to say, like in LA Noire, but the general thing each button means remains the same. Triangle is a question, Square is a neutral response, Circle is a negative response that is generally more of a gently caress you, and X is a positive response. Not knowing exactly what they're going to say can be a little annoying, but it doesn't bother me as much now that I understand what the meaning is going to be to the npc. Really wish I knew which speech checks I was able to pass before taking them, save scumming conversations isn't ideal.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

rotaryfun posted:

Has anyone ever had an issue with their inputs from the controller being delayed? It's happened a few times to me in destiny and one or twice in fallout 4. It's not controller specific either. I've swapped controllers and the issue followed. When it would happen in destiny, I just figured it was my internet lagging, but then it happened in the other day in fallout which obviously isn't an online game so it can't be that.

example of what will happen is I'll just the right stick to turn or look around, it suddenly doesn't follow my movements then it spins all the way around even after I've released the stick. When it does this the buttons become pretty unresponsive as well.

It doesn't always happen, and it's not happened in any other games that I can recall. But it's really frustrating when it does.

All the time. Mostly when my wife is using the wifi on her phone to stream stuff from the internet. I've heard it has to do with the wifi and Bluetooth being on the same chip.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

More on the new Valkyria

:/

http://gematsu.com/2015/11/valkyria-azure-revolution-valkyria-chronicles-remaster-announced-for-ps4

Ozawa was also the director of the original, btw

it being a traditional rpg is super disappointing and at this point why even call it valkyria chronicles

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

it being a traditional rpg is super disappointing and at this point why even call it valkyria chronicles

It's not, it's called something like "Valkyria of Revolution".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's really a bummer to see what a wet fart of a series Valkyria Chronicles turned into after that first game being so good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Motto posted:

It's not, it's called something like "Valkyria of Revolution".

you know what I mean

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

jabro posted:

I went with a female protagonist and also take sarcastic every time it comes up. The VA is perfect for the role.

This. She's pretty perfect.

I definitely miss the old stat/skill based dialogue. It was bigger in NV where you could resolve quests by using different skills or stats. Instead, just max charisma and get black widow and you'll usually make your convince checks. But then, the storyline isn't the main attraction in FO4 so it's easy to forgive and just keep rolling around killing stuff and looking at silly/cool stuff in the wasteland.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines did dialogue IMO best, and I'd kill for a Bloodlines 2.

Having different dialogue options based on your skills that would become available and use custom text fonts to make it clear which skill they were using.
If your seduction was high enough, you'd get a seduction line which would be pink and cursive.
if your intimidate was high enough, you'd get a line which would be bold and red.

same for other skills, and sometimes other disciplines could be used in dialogue too.

And if you're playing a Malkavian, all your dialogue options are replaced with dialogue written by Salvador Dali and Hunter S. Thompson in the middle of an opium haze.

All RPGs should aspire to the same.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines did dialogue IMO best, and I'd kill for a Bloodlines 2.

Having different dialogue options based on your skills that would become available and use custom text fonts to make it clear which skill they were using.
If your seduction was high enough, you'd get a seduction line which would be pink and cursive.
if your intimidate was high enough, you'd get a line which would be bold and red.

same for other skills, and sometimes other disciplines could be used in dialogue too.

And if you're playing a Malkavian, all your dialogue options are replaced with dialogue written by Salvador Dali and Hunter S. Thompson in the middle of an opium haze.

All RPGs should aspire to the same.

Malkavian playthrough of Bloodlilnes with the big fan patch was one of my favorite things in games. The last quest hub feels anemic but you can burn through it quickly enough to get to the end.

Bloodlines 2 is more unlikely than a Chris Avellone-led Fallout 4 sequel but I'd kill for both.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Montalvo posted:

This has happened to me a couple of times while playing Rocket League; my car will keep turning even though I've let go of the left thumbstick. I have no idea why it happens but it seems to get better when I have a clear line of sight between the controller and the console.

haveblue posted:

Might be RF interference. Do you have any other Bluetooth devices and do they act up too?

bagina posted:

All the time. Mostly when my wife is using the wifi on her phone to stream stuff from the internet. I've heard it has to do with the wifi and Bluetooth being on the same chip.

The thing is my wife is basically ALWAYS streaming something if I'm playing. I thought maybe the wireless gold headset was interfering but it still does it when the headset isn't turned on. However the usb part is still plugged in. I unplugged it the other day to see if it happens again but I haven't played enough to determine if that's actually it or not. At least since unplugging it, the issue hasn't happened. I can say that when it happened in the past and I was playing destiny with a friend, he was saying that he basically couldn't understand a word I was saying. So maybe it is a bluetooth thing?

I'll keep my headset dongle unplugged longer just to see if it happens. But that would be absolutely lovely if that is the cause.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 17, 2015

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It happens to me when there is nothing else streaming and no other bluetooth-enabled electronic devices are in the room.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
whelp :eng99:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
MGSV or The Witcher 3? I've played both The Witcher 1 and 2, and MGS4, and loved them all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

thehoodie posted:

MGSV or The Witcher 3?

Both are excellent, and if you can wait 10 days or less it's pretty much guaranteed these games (at the absolute least Witcher 3) will be on some form of sale.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Definitely get Witcher 3.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Personally I found MGSV extremely repetitive. The core gameplay is top notch though.

It's hard to recommend one over another. That said, MGSV is at the very least more divisive a game than TW3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they are totally different things, so different in fact that I don't know how to begin with recommending one over the other

if you want a good story with great characters, get the witcher

if you want pure gameplay, get phantom pain

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

thehoodie posted:

MGSV or The Witcher 3? I've played both The Witcher 1 and 2, and MGS4, and loved them all.

You have to get both. Like... that's the ultimate Sophie's choice right there.

Know that MGS5 is like the opposite of MGS4 in a really good way.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If your holiday season means lots of free time coming up, get Witcher 3 over MGS5. Both are good but Witcher is the kind of game that works better if you have more free time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Szurumbur posted:

I've played the demo beta prototype and I don't think it holds a candle to VP, personally. Too many elements are missing - then again, I'd rather they make their own thing than copy a game, even if their own thing is not something I'd personally want.

It is just the Prototype and it isn't due until 2017 so while it could end up being as limited as the prototype indicates, it is probably worth keeping an eye on if it's funded.

As for it being ugly, I like the art style :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

If your holiday season means lots of free time coming up, get Witcher 3 over MGS5. Both are good but Witcher is the kind of game that works better if you have more free time.

Not that MGS5 is short on content! But yeah, it is easier to play bits at a time than W3.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SW Battlefront is fun as heck sorry it doesn't have any animu titties though.

As per usual from :dice: the sound design is absolutely top notch and adds a lot to the game. Worth the money if you like star wars or battlefield or fun things

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'll get both eventually, but as bloodchill intuited, I'm looking for something to play over the holidays. Looks like Witcher 3 it is. Thanks alL!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you find yourself enjoying the base game, keep in mind there's already some dlc out for it in the form of a pretty lengthy post game story that adds a lot of content

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I have played Phantom Pain up to Chapter 2 and because of Fallout 4 coming out I'm not sure I'll get to it again. I'm sort of familiar with the MGS plot line, but have no particular reverence for it. Are there any must-see plot reveals coming up that aside from (ending spoiler) Venom Snake Big Boss isn't Naked Snake Big Boss or is it more "war is bad and nukes are bad" type stuff?

I liked the gameplay mostly but doing the extreme and subsistence versions of the missions isn't particularly appealing to me. So if there's not a lot of story left I'll probably just stop playing.

I really liked it though and have put in a good amount of hours and done every side of up to this point and a whooooole lot of base management so I feel I got my money's worth either way.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 18, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chapter 2 is a a bunch of repeat missions with a disjointed series of mostly unrelated story missions interspersed within

your spoiler is the final reveal of the game. chapter 2 is basically an epilogue that tries to put all the main characters where they need to be for the beginning of metal gear 1

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

SW Battlefront is fun as heck sorry it doesn't have any animu titties though.

As per usual from :dice: the sound design is absolutely top notch and adds a lot to the game. Worth the money if you like star wars or battlefield or fun things

Yeah spawning inside like the rebel base and hearing TIE fighters screaming past outside (slightly muffled by the walls) and blaster fire echoing through the halls is loving amazing. :allears:

Best graphics. Best effects. Best sound. Fun gameplay. Best game ever? Nah. But I'm having a blast.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

You don't have to do the hard mode missions, just do the new ones. It's very short compared to the rest of the game and it concludes most of the character arcs in the game and has some of its best moments. You're like 90, 95% done, why not finish it?

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 17, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't "have" to but you do have to do some missions or side ops to advance the story in chapter 2

new missions will not appear until you complete a few optional things

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i've only played mgsv so i'd recommend witcher 3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

both games are good and almost totally opposite each other in their pros and cons.
if you don't beat both you'll never be a 2015 gaming superstar.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Not that MGS5 is short on content! But yeah, it is easier to play bits at a time than W3.
Yeah, I finished W3 over the weekend after setting it down near the end of act 1 for probably two months. I really enjoyed the rest of the game but regretted leaving it aside for so long cause I'd forgotten a decent amount of stuff about the characters and plot that would've been worth remembering.

MSGV I'm now setting aside for FO4 at Mission 29 and while I liked it enough that I'll finish it someday I don't feel any rush to get back to it at all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Geektox posted:

I have played Phantom Pain up to Chapter 2 and because of Fallout 4 coming out I'm not sure I'll get to it again. I'm sort of familiar with the MGS plot line, but have no particular reverence for it. Are there any must-see plot reveals coming up that aside from Venom Snake Big Boss isn't Naked Snake Big Bossor is it more "war is bad and nukes are bad" type stuff?

I liked the gameplay mostly but doing the extreme and subsistence versions of the missions isn't particularly appealing to me. So if there's not a lot of story left I'll probably just stop playing.

I really liked it though and have put in a good amount of hours and done every side of up to this point and a whooooole lot of base management so I feel I got my money's worth either way.

Thx for spoiling the end of the game for me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's spoilered though? It's not his fault you have bad impulse control.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Witcher 3 is great to the end, and that's a long long time. MGS is great until about one third in, then you don't have to play it anymore because you've seen it all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

NESguerilla posted:

It's spoilered though? It's not his fault you have bad impulse control.

Seemed like he was talking about something in early chapter 2 sinve he just said he hadn't played much of it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You guys are crazy; MGSV is one of the best games ever. Play that over Witcher lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's really the only spoiler in all of chapter 2

everything else is just getting characters where they need to be at the beginning of metal gear. it's not a spoiler that huey leaves mother base and hangs out with otacon until killing himself via pool or whatever

• Locked thread