Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

Have you considered pretending to have an identical twin?

Perfection can't be repeated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just suggest a threesome.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

CCKeane posted:

Date two people at once IMO.

Polyandry or bust

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Rarity posted:

Perfection can't be repeated

I don't know what your parents told you, but I assure you it is possible to reset the game and take another shot at fitting all those pieces into the right slots.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

FoxTerrier posted:

Polyandry or bust

Newt Gingrich went for an open relationship.

Folks do you really want to be less sexually progressive than Newt Gingrich? Makes you think.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Asiina posted:

http://fantasymovieleague.com/

The season is almost over, but a new one will be starting again. People have sorta come and gone, but I hope people pick it back up again in a few weeks when the new season starts.

I totally forgot about this. I'm gonna try to get back into it for next season. The hunger games thing for this weekend is interesting. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I've discovered I'm really poor, poorer than I thought, so I have to apply for jobs even though I'm really not supposed to have a job. I'm hoping I can get some part time government job for a while that will help me out.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's been a long time since I've written in job hunting language where every sentence is just dripping with bullshit.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

It's been a long time since I've written in job hunting language where every sentence is just dripping with bullshit.

"I am actually God, blessing your company with my presence. Bow down, and offer me the position."

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
The trick is to know people who can give you jobs and then just doing the jobs. You should try that asiina.

- eccotheraven

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

"I am actually God, blessing your company with my presence. Bow down, and offer me the position."

It basically is. It's also about turning something completely unrelated into obviously the exact experience that they are looking for. It's a pretty fun writing exercise if nothing else.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Asiina posted:

So I've discovered I'm really poor, poorer than I thought, so I have to apply for jobs even though I'm really not supposed to have a job. I'm hoping I can get some part time government job for a while that will help me out.

Hi poor friend. The economy is supposedly good but my wallet is not :(

I don't know what your resume and cover letter looks light but I would really recommend the Resume to Interviews service that is advertised in banners here on SA. I used them when I finished my teaching credential and I got a LOT of interviews, and while my teaching history is pretty decent for my age I fully believe that the presentation and work they did to make my resume boss was part of why I got so many of said interviews. It's like $150 for the base package and I think another $25-50 for the cover letter template, and they work with you every step of the way. If you can swing it, it's the best service I've paid for, hands down.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Authorman posted:

The trick is to know people who can give you jobs and then just doing the jobs. You should try that asiina.

- eccotheraven

A window into the life of ecco

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

I do yearly hiring at my company, if you pass your resume along to me I'd be happy to help you edit/tweak.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, but I actually have a pretty kickass resume. I actually have a full CV that I edit down as needed, but I'm confident in my experience. I've been out of work for a few years because of grad school, but I had great reputable jobs beforehand and I can turn my work in grad school into something that looks good to employers, even if it is mostly nonsense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Asii, once you get to interviews (which you totally will), take the time to prep for them as well. I know you'll get a kickass job.

And sucks about the money sitch :smith:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 27, 2020

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cover letters are the absolute dumbest thing anyone should have to do to get a job.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

you joke but

that part is the worst part. cover letters make me actively cringe.

Being able to pull a little bit of a hustle makes you instantly better at pretty much every job. Making a convincing cover letter means you can make a convincing case to a client or colleague or whatever. It's an active display of a skill that is universal among most jobs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kashuno posted:

Cover letters are the absolute dumbest thing anyone should have to do to get a job.

Dumber things:

- Belching contests
- Super Smash Bros tournaments
- Yodelling

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Dumber things:

- Belching contests
- Super Smash Bros tournaments
- Yodelling

If I was challenged to a smash bros contest for a job I'd never leave that place.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Realtalk: a strong cover letter shows awareness of the job, self-assessment of your own experience, your ability to sell yourself, self-confidence and general competence. It's the best chance you have at pitching yourself to the recruiter.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Make it general enough that you can just switch out the name of the company on each one, that's what I did

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

Realtalk: a strong cover letter shows awareness of the job, self-assessment of your own experience, your ability to sell yourself, self-confidence and general competence. It's the best chance you have at pitching yourself to the recruiter.

This is correct.

Being able to communicate clearly is huge. A cover letter is a demonstration.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Make it general enough that you can just switch out the name of the company on each one, that's what I did

Dear employer,

I am confident that I am the right fit.

Yours,
Applicant.

(make sure to not replace "employer" and "applicant" with the employer's and your names!)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

Dear employer,

I am confident that I am the right fit.

Yours,
Applicant.

(make sure to not replace "employer" and "applicant" with the employer's and your names!)

Basically this unironically. It was 3 short paragraphs, and all I did was change the name of the company in the first sentence and last sentence, and sent it out. Worked out well.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
disclaimer; I work in IT

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asiina posted:

so I have to apply for jobs even though I'm really not supposed to have a job.

Why is that?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Kashuno posted:

Thus is possibly the worst résumé advice I've seen. You should be tailoring and focussing your résumé and your cover letter for every job, because you want to make it sounds like you aren't just form lettering them.

It shows effort that you researched their company and care enough to want the job.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Met posted:

Why is that?

She's an inmate at a federal penitentiary. They aren't supposed to leave, even to go to work.

That's why she's looking for a part time government job. :ssh:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lol if your job applications have cover letters instead of 6 X 500 word examples of where you've displayed certain capabilities in your work, just lol

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cover letters are annoying. I especially dislike having to bullshit and prefer writing sincerely in them. I've done both so far. Still waiting on call backs.

That said I'm still employed part time and so I have a lot of free time and flexible at that with that time so:

BottleKnight posted:

We should schedule a tabletop simulator night. Idk if many of you have that game but I'd love to play cards against humanity or uno or something with you guys. I mostly play card games in it but I'm sure there's other stuff too.

I would absolutely buy this game if it were to play with people regularly or whatever.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's just easier to work jobs where you only have to fill out an application.

Some day the majority of those jobs will actually pay well.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

It's just easier to work jobs where you only have to fill out an application.

Some day the majority of those jobs will actually pay well.

The champion's way is to be an engineer, but then go SURPRISE! I'M NOT A WEIRD ALIEN! And continually find yourself in leadership positions IMO.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidnose posted:

Hi poor friend. The economy is supposedly good but my wallet is not :(

I don't know what your resume and cover letter looks light but I would really recommend the Resume to Interviews service that is advertised in banners here on SA. I used them when I finished my teaching credential and I got a LOT of interviews, and while my teaching history is pretty decent for my age I fully believe that the presentation and work they did to make my resume boss was part of why I got so many of said interviews. It's like $150 for the base package and I think another $25-50 for the cover letter template, and they work with you every step of the way. If you can swing it, it's the best service I've paid for, hands down.

FYI that service was sold to another person a little while back and they got run out of SA-Mart for not being transparent about that alongside declining quality of service. Not sure if they've made a new thread since.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Keane you know as well as I that most ceos of leading engineering companies all have engineering degrees, as do many directors etc.

Really if you are human and not just an engineer the sky is the limit. When are you making senior management?

If you're not head of Bechtel by this time next year I will be disappointed in you.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

busb posted:

Keane you know as well as I that most ceos of leading engineering companies all have engineering degrees, as do many directors etc.

Really if you are human and not just an engineer the sky is the limit. When are you making senior management?

If you're not head of Bechtel by this time next year I will be disappointed in you.

I was director of manufacturing at my start up but then I burned the gently caress out so it's boots and 3pm naps for me for the time being.

But I'm not joking about that in STEM fields: If you have moderate to good communication and negotiating skills it combines really, really well with technical knowledge.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I almost flushed my hostel dorm key in the toilet. That would have been literally a £20 deposit down the drain.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Rarity you should move to Scotland and not be homeless. My family castle, Caerlaverock will take you in.

Note: your housemates are pigeons and there is no roof. And the first castle sank into the swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

busb posted:

Rarity you should move to Scotland and not be homeless. My family castle, Caerlaverock will take you in.

Note: your housemates are pigeons and there is no roof. And the first castle sank into the swamp.

They don't have my job, my friends, summer, decent accents, the Premiership or easily accessible MDMA in Scotland :colbert: