Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Berke Negri posted:

I'm still kind of confused that in 2015 people still want general chat.

Really no other way to get in pug raids, sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

shadok posted:

I'm an old gamer but I would never use the word "hardened" to describe myself. Quite the opposite.

It's the way old nerds try to liken themselves to war veterans. 20 years of gaming, man--I've seen some poo poo. :smug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alter Ego posted:

It's the way old nerds try to liken themselves to war veterans. 20 years of gaming, man--I've seen some poo poo. :smug:

I remember there was a game where if people installed it to the root of their C: drive, it would wipe the whole disk on uninstallation.

The client is "reorganizing" and "verifying" my data; I sure hope this isn't making things worse. :ohdear:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

prefect posted:

I remember there was a game where if people installed it to the root of their C: drive, it would wipe the whole disk on uninstallation.

The client is "reorganizing" and "verifying" my data; I sure hope this isn't making things worse. :ohdear:

I think it was one of the Myst games, wasn't it?

e: No, it was Myth II: http://minimaxir.com/2013/06/working-as-intended/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Game dead?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

sassassin posted:

Game dead?

RIP SWTOR, 2011-2015

EDIT: Servers are back up.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 17, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Eve Online once released a patch that deleted C:\boot.ini which effectively killed Windows.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/about-the-boot.ini-issue/

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
:lol: I've been meaning to disable BitRaider anyway so I went to uninstall and it wouldn't let me, claims SWTOR isn't installed in the first place. I guess it's just with me forever now. Maybe this is some Fight Club poo poo and I've really just been doing the Star Wars kid around my room while hootin' and hollerin' about Revan.

Edit: official twitter claims the servers are up go hogwild nerds

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
My guild has 6 people online, two of whom had Bitraider disabled from long ago and four of whom just got lucky and managed to patch without issues.

Not a lot of other people on JC.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Crindee posted:

:lol: I've been meaning to disable BitRaider anyway so I went to uninstall and it wouldn't let me, claims SWTOR isn't installed in the first place. I guess it's just with me forever now. Maybe this is some Fight Club poo poo and I've really just been doing the Star Wars kid around my room while hootin' and hollerin' about Revan.

Edit: official twitter claims the servers are up go hogwild nerds

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\"}"
, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

EDIT: THIS WILL FORCE YOU TO REDOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE GAME

Thanks, Medullah - forgot to put that part in.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 17, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Keep in mind if you have limited bandwidth, disabling bitraider does require a full redownload of the game.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I may be high on Jet but all the zones with green/red ray shields to let you in or out are now hexagon holographs instead of solid colors.

:biotruths: :birddrugs:

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
I'm wondering if the patch did something to reduce the proliferation of Schematic: Ice Scrabbler Jerky.

:pray:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Just got home and patched no problem, after reading about it here I figured whatever it was was already fixed. Guess not since there's only 38 people on Fleet on Harbinger. Or maybe I got moved backed to Space Slug and nobody told me. :tinfoil:

As for companions it would seem my Influence 50 Lana Beniko got about a 35% nerf.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Companion nerf trip report: Instead of finishing fights with 95% health, I finish them with 80% health. This is on Voss, with an i10 companion.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Corzen posted:

I'm wondering if the patch did something to reduce the proliferation of Schematic: Ice Scrabbler Jerky.

:pray:
Nope

People on Hoth are complaining their progress in getting Qyzen Fess was reset to 0 though.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Dely Apple posted:

People on Hoth are complaining their progress in getting Qyzen Fess was reset to 0 though.

Yep the latest character I had doing it had the quest reset and my 18 Jaggonath trophies are gone.

Edit: I got them all back real quick since there are only 2 Imps and 1 Pub on Hoth on Harbinger.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Dely Apple posted:

Whew. My progress on Pierce's quest was not reset. I'm still halfway done.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jedi posted:

Companion nerf trip report: Instead of finishing fights with 95% health, I finish them with 80% health. This is on Voss, with an i10 companion.

That...doesn't sound so bad.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

That...doesn't sound so bad.

Truth be told, I haven't given it a thorough test, but Bioware has said that they do not expect the nerf to prevent you from soloing heroic missions. It's always been their intent that a companion can be the 2nd "person" required for a heroic 2.

They just don't want the companion to make everything trivial. Which is pretty much what it was.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Jedi posted:

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\"}"
, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.
Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

EDIT: THIS WILL FORCE YOU TO REDOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE GAME

Thanks, Medullah - forgot to put that part in.

Thanks for this, but I don't seem to have a BitRaider folder, even though I definitely haven't disabled it before and it's enabled in the .settings file. Even did a search for it, made sure I wasn't hiding hidden, etc. So... it's become sentient and doesn't want to be deleted?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

What exactly is the point of the BitRaider client anyways?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Turbl posted:

What exactly is the point of the BitRaider client anyways?

Ease the stress on the SWTOR servers by having you download the patch from other people (like torrenting).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Wow, that was humbling. First group I pull in a heroic kills me in 10 seconds. Companion at L17 couldn't even come close to keeping up with healing.

No longer any room for error, and god help you if you pull extra trash during a fight.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Crindee posted:

Thanks for this, but I don't seem to have a BitRaider folder, even though I definitely haven't disabled it before and it's enabled in the .settings file. Even did a search for it, made sure I wasn't hiding hidden, etc. So... it's become sentient and doesn't want to be deleted?

Truth be told, that was my first google hit for: swtor diable bitraider - I know I've used that method in the past.

Alter Ego posted:

Wow, that was humbling. First group I pull in a heroic kills me in 10 seconds. Companion at L17 couldn't even come close to keeping up with healing.

No longer any room for error, and god help you if you pull extra trash during a fight.

Which heroic?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jedi posted:

Truth be told, that was my first google hit for: swtor diable bitraider - I know I've used that method in the past.

They changed Bitraider with 3.0 so if the method you posted was the old way it's no longer valid. There's a new way of disabling it but I think it's a huge pain in the rear end. I've never done it since I never had any issues with it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jedi posted:

Which heroic?

One of the Colicoid ones on Republic Balmorra. Forget the name.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
94.59% installation complete and holding...

Maybe I should just call it a night and hope it finishes by tomorrow. :(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Medullah posted:

Ease the stress on the SWTOR servers by having you download the patch from other people (like torrenting).

no no no no no

Look up the tech, that's not what it does at all. It enables to stream game assets on the fly instead of requiring everything to be downloaded in advance.

In layman's terms, if you want to go to some planet you've neither visited nor downloaded, it'll first grab the bare minimum you need to enter, then start pulling in more detail. A MMO like SWTOR obviously has tonnes of common data it'll need no matter where you go, such as basic character models, texture and sounds. But beyond that, you don't need to download all the different variant of the Epic Raider's Shoulderpads of Awesome or the mesh for wampa butts. Streaming the data instead allows you to start playing earlier and it'll only load wampa butts once you travel to Hoth.

This sort of thing isn't trivial and requires a specialized file layout, which is likely dictated by BitRaider's framework. Evidently it is different enough from SWTOR's traditional file format, hence the incompatibility of the file formats. For the sake of players with older installs, they took the time to implement conversion between legacy data to BitRaider data. But obviously they would rather invest time in making BitRaider work than spend time implementing the reverse conversion, hence the need to redownload the entire client data when turning BitRaider off.

edit:

Medullah posted:

They changed Bitraider with 3.0 so if the method you posted was the old way it's no longer valid. There's a new way of disabling it but I think it's a huge pain in the rear end. I've never done it since I never had any issues with it.

Also completely wrong. I did a fresh install at my girlfriend's place last weekend, flipped BitRaider off first thing by editing the config file and it proceeded to download just fine. The PatchingMode and bitraider_disable edits are all that's necessary.

Jan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 18, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

94.59% installation complete and holding...

Maybe I should just call it a night and hope it finishes by tomorrow. :(

I've been stuck around 95% all day and it seems just now to have unstuck itself.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
OK, so now that I've settled in, my (now) L19 Nadia Grell is functioning pretty well as a tank. I keep her constantly bubbled, but most fights are pretty easy. They keep you on your toes now though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hahaha from Reddit, how to protest this nerf

quote:

1) The obvious choice, vote with your wallet. That is the ONLY thing they will hear. You can scream on the forums until you lose your voice, but if you give them money it's wasted.

2) Refuse to group with those who think everything should be hard and grouping should be forced. Let them sit in their empty queues for hours waiting for it to pop.

Yes, I know I'll likely be flamed and insulted for this post...and of course downvoted into oblivion. If you need me, I'll be in the Boston area building up The Castly and maybe Sanctuary.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

Hahaha from Reddit, how to protest this nerf

Hmmm. 3) Learn to play your goddamn class without facerolling your abilities and stop being a big gay baby didn't make the list?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

shadok posted:

Eve Online once released a patch that deleted C:\boot.ini which effectively killed Windows.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/about-the-boot.ini-issue/

Lmao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:ccp: is an emote for a reason.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I can't wait until Lana gets killed as part of the KotFE storyline and all the fanboys :qq: over their waifu and all the gifts they showered her with to make her a murderhobo/healbot/tanksmash supreme.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

I had that problem with some heroics before the patch when I wasn't paying close attention. Some enemy distributions are just nigh impossible to solo unless you don't miss a single step.

It looks like companion tank is now going to be better, as they'll now generate sufficient threat to keep the enemies from immediately targeting the PC after you hit them with a high dmg attack.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fuzz posted:

I can't wait until Lana gets killed as part of the KotFE storyline and all the fanboys :qq: over their waifu and all the gifts they showered her with to make her a murderhobo/healbot/tanksmash supreme.

Eh, I personally can't see Bioware killing off the only female love interest in post-50 content. Koth or Theron would be fair game, though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't think this has been posted yet: http://dulfy.net/2015/11/17/swtor-force-alliance-pack-preview/ -- preview of the cartel stuff released today. A couple of nice Force-user sets in there.

Question about something I saw on the official forums: when a person says this:

"Valiant Jedi is not our Creation armor! It's the Cinematic Knight armor! Warriors got BOTH cinematic and character creation armor!!! Warriors got both for direct purchase. Knights have to gamble for their own creation armor."

what the heck is "creation armor"?

(Patch installation status: 97.04% :qq:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

prefect posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet: http://dulfy.net/2015/11/17/swtor-force-alliance-pack-preview/ -- preview of the cartel stuff released today. A couple of nice Force-user sets in there.

what the heck is "creation armor"?

Character creation armor. The armor a character wears during the character creation process. People especially complain about the JK armor being difficult to get.

• Locked thread