Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

EmmyOk posted:

I think the problem is that they tried to incorporate everyone's idea at various times not that they had none.

Watchdog's script was improvised, and everyone just kept going "yes, and."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

chitoryu12 posted:

I love how on practically every page, at least one person has an epiphany of a way of making Watch_Dogs a better game. The corporate environment at Ubisoft must be staggeringly bad and stifling if the game turned out this bland.

This is what happens when a game is designed by a soulless corporate committee. They just had to try and tick every box on the Ubisoft Open World Game Checklist(tm)

"We should give Aiden a sidekick, another hacker he could interact with. "

"And that they're an obvious love interest potential!"

"Wait, I thought he had a wife and son already?"

"Eh gently caress it, just change the lines to say it's his sister. Oh, and make sure to shoehorn in some stealth sections while you're at it."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The entire city is actually a giant robot and Aiden must hack that to get in a fight with Pittsburgh.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

ousire posted:

"Wait, I thought he had a wife and son already?"

oh no, I never thought about that. did they really make him an uncle so he could flirt with the sidekick guilt free? that would be so sad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zmej posted:

oh no, I never thought about that. did they really make him an uncle so he could flirt with the sidekick guilt free? that would be so sad.

I don't think anyone knows really solid, coherent reasons for any of the design decisions. Earlier in the thread, someone posted an Imgur album that purported to be emails from developers explaining what went wrong.

Long story short, the development was basically what everyone guessed. The E3 2012 demo that won over the crowd was pretty much the only solid plot and gameplay that existed at the moment, but it was such a rousing success that all development was focused on that demo. Yes, they based the game (from plot to play) on the 10 minute gameplay demo. Without a whole lot of solid backbone to the plot or concept, things never really had rails to get back onto.

Much of it was (no pun intended) hacked together. The badass multiplayer preview showing drop-in multiplayer messing with single player missions? That was all staged, because they didn't actually have that implemented or really any way to make something that epic. The current Invasion gameplay is what they were able to get in the game in time for release. Someone posting on 4Chan said that Ubisoft Montreal initially blew off a train track that ran at a 90 degree angle as "Maybe we can patch it later", and it only got a messy fix because of the major delay in late 2013.

On a similar note, a Redditor posted info on the Assassin's Creed 3 development and it shows similar problems. I'll quote some of the most important points:

quote:

The game was worked on by large majority of the Montreal team, as well as Ubi Quebec, Ubi Annecy, Ubi Bucharest, and Ubi Singapore. Between 500-600 people touched the game before it's release. Contrast that with teams like Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica, who operate with 80-100 (maybe 200 during crunch).

The coordination of resources between all of these teams separated by thousands of miles and differing time zones was a drat joke, and at the same time studio resources were constantly stolen for work on Watchdogs and Far Cry 3 (AC4, Splinter Cell and Rayman tended to be a little more isolated for the most part though).

Dissemination of information between individual employees was also pretty bad. A disturbingly large portion of team members had no idea about the majority of the Homestead, Caravan, and assassin crew side missions. There was basically so much content that even approaching release, plenty of grunt workers like myself on the ground were finding new features they didn't know existed that needed more attention. Upon completing the story, there's an origami-crane node collecting mini game that unlocks that I've NEVER seen covered or mentioned in any gaming blogs, reviews, or fan vids. Most of us didn't even know it existed. That's how random and disjointed the design was. Everything was documented on the company wiki of course. The impenetrably deep, confused, several-thousand page wiki.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

The development of this game reminds me of how YT's mother's job worked in Snow Crash

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zmej posted:

I'm not sure I've seen a single hint of romantic chemistry between Aiden and what's-her-face, and I don't think we ever do. I think y'all are the only ones making the assumption of romance because of opposing genders.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm not sure I've seen a single hint of romantic chemistry between Aiden and what's-her-face, and I don't think we ever do. I think y'all are the only ones making the assumption of romance because of opposing genders.

That's about all the romance development most video game/TV couples get before suddenly they start smooshing their faces into each other.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Random people possessed by alien bug spirits and a giant nuke crater in the downtown core would probably spice up the map a bit, yeah?

Especially since Chip could then ramp off the crater walls.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Arbite posted:

My favourite story about the aftermath of the fire: 'In the aftermath of the fire and led by Queen Victoria, many Europeans donated books to replace the Chicago Library. There had never been a Chicago library, and with nowhere to put them, Chicago stored the books in empty water towers.'

At least that's how the History Museum told it.
Apparently it wasn't just the books that were stored in an unused water tower - the entire library was originally in that. (Shortly thereafter a temporary office building was constructed around the tank, and over a few decades the Chicago Public Library would shop around for a permanent home.)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

There's been some flirting and hints at feelings, but it's sudden, comes out of nowhere, and returns back to nowhere just as fast. Like the script writers labelled a light switch "romance", and are just flicking it on and off for giggles.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Just you wait until we find Clara's dad.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

While I agree that there's no romantic chemistry between the two at all, I still think it's pretty likely that there's going to be a(n extremely forced and uncomfortable) romance subplot, just because a)creating a romance subplot between opposite-sex characters for no apparent reason seems to be the "in" thing in a lot of video game writing right now, and b)I think that the lack of chemistry is equally-likely to have been due to the piss-poor writing and wooden acting.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Yeah, if it exists, it's gonna be as well-handled as anything else in this game. "That's it I've done everything I set out to do." "We did it, Aiden." *poorly animated facesmashing kiss, roll credits*

All because some idiot at the end of the designing sequence went "wait did we ever properly add in a romantic plot after making Aiden a Heroic(tm) Uncle since we didn't think our target audience would handle being married/divorced well? poo poo cram it in at the end."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Yeah, if it exists, it's gonna be as well-handled as anything else in this game. "That's it I've done everything I set out to do." "We did it, Aiden." *poorly animated facesmashing kiss, roll credits*

You mean an inevitable Fridging. Because this game can't not be miserable about everything that isn't Jordi.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
I'm having more fun watching you gently caress about in Chicago than actually playing the game's story.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nomad175 posted:

While I agree that there's no romantic chemistry between the two at all, I still think it's pretty likely that there's going to be a(n extremely forced and uncomfortable) romance subplot, just because a)creating a romance subplot between opposite-sex characters for no apparent reason seems to be the "in" thing in a lot of video game writing right now, and b)I think that the lack of chemistry is equally-likely to have been due to the piss-poor writing and wooden acting.

Probably just as uncomfortable and forced as the one in Super...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I find it incredibly disturbing and prophetic that I just received spam sex emails from a "WifeSister".

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

chitoryu12 posted:

I find it incredibly disturbing and prophetic that I just received spam sex emails from a "WifeSister".

Damien has found a whole new way of trolling Aiden as he is slacking on the job

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't know Ubi was doing an ARG to announce the sequel, but good on them for making sure it goes straight to the trash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Ubisoft heard the term "Sister Wife" and thought it meant something other than polygamy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Ubisoft heard the term "Sister Wife" and thought it meant something other than polygamy.

Ubisoft is going back to the Middle Ages.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

couldn't they have just made sisterwife aiden's ex if they wanted to have their cake and eat it too with clara

at least one of those two is gonna die anyway, it's inevitable

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Manatee Cannon posted:

at least one of those two is gonna die anyway, it's inevitable

Narrative-wise I kind of want sisterwife to die just so maybe Aiden can realize literally all he did in his quest to get revenge was get the rest of his family killed.

I know he won't actually learn anything and the story will still spin him as some kind of hero, but... :smith:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Raiden actually grew as a character over the course of the game too. Aiden is still the same bland angry mc-gruff man he was in the stadium.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unrelated, but I love how there's three avatars from the same set made for Chip & Ironicus's Wonderful 101 LP on this single page.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OldMemes posted:

Raiden actually grew as a character over the course of the game too. Aiden is still the same bland angry mc-gruff man he was in the stadium.

raiden got a sword and beat up like 20 robots

what has aiden done with his life?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Danaru posted:

Narrative-wise I kind of want sisterwife to die just so maybe Aiden can realize literally all he did in his quest to get revenge was get the rest of his family killed.

I know he won't actually learn anything and the story will still spin him as some kind of hero, but... :smith:

I think that niece from earlier killing him to avenge her uncle would be a really cathartic alternative. Alas the game is not self-aware enough to do that either but still.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This is gonna be fun to watch the guesses evolve. You haven't even met some major characters.

Steak Bentley
Jul 16, 2011

Alright, sonny. Consider yourself pinched.

Manatee Cannon posted:

raiden got a sword and beat up like 20 robots

what has aiden done with his life?

raiden never blackmailed a guy named bedbug

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

This is gonna be fun to watch the guesses evolve. You haven't even met some major characters.

aiden's daughter-niece never actually died and is piloting that old guy like a robot suit

clara is a figment of aiden's imagination because he's a sad, lonely man

it is revealed that people abbreviate jackson's name because the writers decided they'd make him aiden's nephew and didn't want to draw attention to it by having someone say 'son' all the time

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I'm sure all of these are more interesting and coherent than what will actually happen.

END ME SCOOB posted:

See, in order to guess what could possibly happen at the end of this game, we have to think like Ubisoft. Which means communally deciding the ending through a decision of offhand events that will occur and seem somewhat acceptable to absolutely everyone concerned at the time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Raiden is p terrible but he did grow somewhat and wasn't actually a bad person that the game was trying to convince was cool and down with the youth.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I love to talk loudly about my friends on a full-name basis even when I'm being hunted by bounty hunters and corporations.

Episode 26: Hacker Hermit.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 18, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

EmmyOk posted:

Raiden is p terrible but he did grow somewhat and wasn't actually a bad person that the game was trying to convince was cool and down with the youth.

Yup, in fact the message was Raiden was hosed up beyond belief

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Hackman went to Pawnee to stick it to CTOS in their own backyard, and by their own backyard we of course mean the backyard of someone else who lives two counties away.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ray just kicked Aiden's rear end.

I like him already.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Why cant we play as Hackman he's much cooler than Aiden :tem:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Ray just kicked Aiden's rear end.

I like him already.

Indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fun fact: this is the exact same place they did the drinking game back in episode 5. It's been that friggin' long. Here's what I find incredibly weird and silly, though. The drinking contest guy and Ray both ramble on about conspiracy nonsense but they have different models (I went back and looked). I actually felt immense surprise and joy that the game managed to pull off a pretty interesting twist like that until I checked and found out they were different guys. Why? They both have the same kind of personality and affinity for drink. I kinda wish it was just the Ray model doing the game the whole time because of the fact that I said "SON OF A BITCH" out loud watching that.

But then again here I am making changes to Watch_Dogs to make it better.

• Locked thread