Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rarity posted:

Asii, once you get to interviews (which you totally will), take the time to prep for them as well. I know you'll get a kickass job.

And sucks about the money sitch :smith:

This makes such a big difference and it is amazing how many people don't do this.

busb posted:

Thus is possibly the worst résumé advice I've seen. You should be tailoring and focussing your résumé and your cover letter for every job, because you want to make it sounds like you aren't just form lettering them.

It shows effort that you researched their company and care enough to want the job.

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Rarity posted:

They don't have my job, my friends, summer, decent accents, the Premiership or easily accessible MDMA in Scotland :colbert:

Your job doesn't pay enough to get secure lodgings
Your friends would ow be pigeons and Scots (so, better)
Scottish accent are wayyy sexier and awesomer than British ones, you could take one up!
They do play football actually!!
Stop doing drugs!

There I solved everything for you. Anything else?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Prepping for interviews is good, especially if you know you are a bad interviewer. I'm lucky in that I am very personable and interview very well so my research is done and imprinted in my brain as I write my cover letter and organise and focus my résumé.

Everyone needs to find what works for them though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

busb posted:

Your job doesn't pay enough to get secure lodgings
Your friends would ow be pigeons and Scots (so, better)
Scottish accent are wayyy sexier and awesomer than British ones, you could take one up!
They do play football actually!!
Stop doing drugs!

There I solved everything for you. Anything else?

My job is really fun, a great stepping stone for my career and the best I've ever had
Scots are depressing and pigeons suck
Wrong
Yeah but they play the SPL which is just... no.
Drugs are ace though?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

busb posted:

Prepping for interviews is good, especially if you know you are a bad interviewer. I'm lucky in that I am very personable and interview very well so my research is done and imprinted in my brain as I write my cover letter and organise and focus my résumé.

Everyone needs to find what works for them though.

Yes. For my interview for the job I have now I predicted or googled about 40 potential questions I could be asked, wrote down detailed answers to each of them and spent about a week revising them so that I could pull them out on the spot if the question came up. It was easily the best interview I've ever given and I was told afterwards I was blatantly the right candidate from start to finish. Putting in the prep work is vital (also the interview thread in BCF is an amazing resource that everyone should check out)

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Maybe it's just an English thing but you're the first person I've ever spoken to that doesn't like the Scottish accent. It's 2nd on best accents, slightly behind French

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It's not an accent it's incomprehensible.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
scottish accents are good scots are good rarity is silly

this is all not news to anyone imho tbh hth

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Podima posted:

FYI that service was sold to another person a little while back and they got run out of SA-Mart for not being transparent about that alongside declining quality of service. Not sure if they've made a new thread since.

Oh, well then don't use them if they suck now. My bad, I used them like 3 years ago and they were amazing. That sucks :(

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

The one time I actively prepped for an interview by doing some research into good questions to ask and applying those general ideas to the field of education was 100% the worst interview I had in the slew of interviews I went to when I was looking for a teaching position.

I am pretty sure that particular school only interviewed me as a favor to my old Drama teacher who was friends with one of the current drama teachers there, because they kept the person before me for 20 minutes into my interview and then my interview lasted about 20min of the allotted 40. Was still pretty rough, though.

The rest of the interviews I've had I've just talked about my experience and why I love teaching and some of the things I've done and my philosophy and it's gone well! But I feel like Choral Music and Drama are pretty weird subjects to be interviewing for anyway.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 27, 2020

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Don't prep for interviews, just be a naturally charming and knowledgeable individual. Same goes for cover letters and accurate resumes and all that schmuckery.

Just be fly as heck, man. It's good. Get paid money for doing whatever. Or don't. Doesn't sink my boat either way. You just keep rocking your loch in up there in uk canada rarity. It's all good.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey authorman et al. let's just chill and listen to music or whatever on the internet

https://www.dubtrack.fm/join/sa-wifom-omgus

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Quidnose posted:

The rest of the interviews I've had I've just talked about my experience and why I love teaching and some of the things I've done and my philosophy and it's gone well! But I feel like Choral Music and Drama are pretty weird subjects to be interviewing for anyway.

The weirdest interviews I had for a teaching position were both the two that actually offered me a job two summers ago. A lot about the one for the job I actually took was incredibly strange and had all sorts of red flags, but it is an incredible job that I am going to hugely regret leaving in a few years. I think they mostly all follow a similar script, though, and basically ask about the things you mention in this quote.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It is too long a story to type on my phone while my fingers are freezing but when I get home I will tell the best/worst interview story of all time.

Get ready for it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Authorman posted:

Don't prep for interviews, just be a naturally charming and knowledgeable individual. Same goes for cover letters and accurate resumes and all that schmuckery.

Just be fly as heck, man. It's good. Get paid money for doing whatever. Or don't. Doesn't sink my boat either way. You just keep rocking your loch in up there in uk canada rarity. It's all good.
Authorman knows his poo poo

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

bowmore posted:

Authorman knows Keane's poo poo.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also all the cover letters that I write aren't really letters either they are just boxes where I fill out how's such and such a work experience makes me qualified for some nonsense.

I really like filling out those boxes though they let me be creative. I can talk about how we're going with kids doing experiments is a lot like working with clients in an office.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

hey authorman et al. let's just chill and listen to music or whatever on the internet

Music is good, everyone should come hang out. Rooms are fun with music.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm at work, timezone fascists

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Okay I have taken refuge inside while waiting for the bus and am no longer freezing.

Many years ago I applied for a job at the government. It was a general sense inventory pool, which I mention because that means you apply for no specific job but can be called at any time for an interview. I had been waiting roughly a year for them to call and finally I get an interview. I dress up in a cream long sleeved shirt and a skirt. I get there about 15 minutes early and wait in the lobby for someone to come down to security to get me at the interview time.

I'm getting really nervous and step outside for a minute to calm down while I'm waiting, when out of absolute nowhere I throw up all over myself and my shirt.

In a panic I go back inside and go into the bathroom in the lobby. Luckily there is an accessible stall with its own mirror and sink so I lock myself in, take off my shirt and try to wash the vomit out of it, but it's not really working very well. Time is running out so I decide to wear the shirt backwards. It didn't have a collar and I figured my long hair could cover the neckline at the back and hopefully the vomit.

When I put it on, the light colour of the shirt makes the tag at the back of the neck clearly visible. I try to rip it out and in the process rip the seam of the shirt.

Time has completely run out now and I'm wearing a wet, ripped shirt backwards and smell of vomit. The interviewer comes to pick me up from the lobby and all I can focus on is not letting her behind me to see my back. She takes me to this tiny room with another interviewer and closes the door. The smell quickly overtakes the room. I remember basically nothing about the interview other than the feeling of my wet back against the chair and the smell of stomach acid. When it was over I have no idea how I managed to successfully leave the room without them seeing my back. I told them I could find my own way out and basically ran away.

Three days later I got a call that I got the job. This is a 100% true story.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

That's an AWESOME story Asiina!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bowmore posted:

Authorman knows how to poo poo on a desk

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Tax dollars at work.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

Three days later I got a call that I got the job. This is a 100% true story.

Spoiler: They were looking for a fall-girl. You proved yourself beyond suitable for the position.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

EccoRaven posted:

Room was empty (well Grandi is idle) so I'm playing SB Emails now

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751809

Let's get a mafia team for trivia together imo, the 90FM trivia thing is always fun and this should probably be fun especially if we can coordinate over IRC and/or Skype

Team "god DAMNIT meinberg" has been created.

The trivia competition has been moved to December 5, 2015 from 2pm - 8pm EDT. If you're available at that time and interested, shoot me a PM! I'll get something setup in a doc/IRC over the weekend.

e: for the timezone impaired:

Saturday, December 5th
EST: 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM
UTC: 7:00 PM - 1:00 AM
CST: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
MST: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
PST: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Asiina posted:

I like the new Movie League format so it's not just about whether you picked the giant movie or not opening weekend.

I made the mistake of not picking Jurassic World during opening weekend and it was impossible to ever come back from that.

EDIT: Based on the prices you can either pick Hunger Games on Friday or you can pick Saturday and Sunday.

I made the mistake of totally forgetting about it and not making any picks for the last month or so.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Did the music chatroom come back?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kumbamontu posted:

Team "god DAMNIT meinberg" has been created.

The trivia competition has been moved to December 5, 2015 from 2pm - 8pm EDT. If you're available at that time and interested, shoot me a PM! I'll get something setup in a doc/IRC over the weekend.

e: for the timezone impaired:

Saturday, December 5th
EST: 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM
UTC: 7:00 PM - 1:00 AM
CST: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
MST: 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
PST: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM

I'm in on this~

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
haha I got a call about an interview on Wednesday, will be sure to take on board all of your suggestions :)

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

busb posted:

Maybe it's just an English thing but you're the first person I've ever spoken to that doesn't like the Scottish accent. It's 2nd on best accents, slightly behind French

Birdstrike posted:

It's not an accent it's incomprehensible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

:j: Are you English, sir?
:eng101: No, I'm Scottish.
:j: So you ain't English then.
:eng101: No, I'm British.
:j: So you ain't English then.
:eng101: No I’m not, but as you can see I do speak English.
:j: But I can’t understand what you're saying, sir.
:eng101: Well clearly you can.
:j: Sorry, are you talking Scottish now?
:eng101: No, I'm talking English.
:j: Right. Don't sound like it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 27, 2020

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

EccoRaven posted:

I can't sleep so I'm watching Jane the Virgin on netflix and it's TOTALLY BONKERS and I love it.

You made a very good choice

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think I made a mistake by commenting on a co-worker's Islamophobic Facebook post.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Little Mac posted:

I think I made a mistake by commenting on a co-worker's Islamophobic Facebook post.

I'm getting pretty burnt out on seeing such bullshit from people and I mostly just use Facebook for posting pleasant jokes and scheduling events.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

EccoRaven posted:

I can't sleep so I'm watching Jane the Virgin on netflix and it's TOTALLY BONKERS and I love it.

It's so much fun. I almost made a thread for it this year, but ended up doing one for iZombie instead.

Gunna make one next season tho and post all the crazy gifs :toot:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You guys should try living in hermetically sealed ideological bubbles, it's working out pretty great for me.

(I have a [1] Conservative friend and he's much too well-behaved to talk about his views. He asked a prof a leading question about the Laffer curve once is all I can recall.)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

You guys should try living in hermetically sealed ideological bubbles, it's working out pretty great for me.

(I have a [1] Conservative friend and he's much too well-behaved to talk about his views. He asked a prof a leading question about the Laffer curve once is all I can recall.)

I'd probably be a libertarian if I lived in a hermetically sealed bubble tbqh so I can detect a flaw in your plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Wait, is this what people mean when they talk about housing bubbles? I've had this completely wrong.