Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

RFC2324 posted:

He's hosed. There is no way he survived that job without drugs. :420:

As long as they don't test for near lethal levels of nicotine and caffeine, I'm good.

Interview tomorrow. It's literally two buildings away, across the street. You can see it from supervisor's office. It will be wonderful when he asks me what I was doing over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

As long as they don't test for near lethal levels of nicotine and caffeine, I'm good.

Interview tomorrow. It's literally two buildings away, across the street. You can see it from supervisor's office. It will be wonderful when he asks me what I was doing over there.
"I got a source who can get us some GREAT deals on Buffalo storage devices. I'm just trying to negotiate our best price."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm thinking of putting all of my documentation on a buffalo drive and then filling it to 95% capacity with a bunch of videos of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5P68HVWS54.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nexxai posted:

"I got a source who can get us some GREAT deals on Buffalo storage devices. I'm just trying to negotiate our best price."

"We would just need to wipe them down real good."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

Don't let him see you go over there. For all you know, the next day he'll head over and tell them that he is letting you go because of all the drugs you do during work hours.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

DON'T gently caress THIS UP! :okpos:
FWIW I never got a drug test until I was at the final phase of job negotiations, so you should take this as a good sign.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The Macaroni posted:

FWIW I never got a drug test until I was at the final phase of job negotiations, so you should take this as a good sign.

It makes sense. Drug testing costs money, so why do it on someone you don't have any intention of hiring?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Our HR only does background checks immediately before they make a job offer. It's especially funny because if you already work here, and apply to another department, you know that if you get asked to submit for a background check that you got the job.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wonderful Wonderful Marketing has decided everyone inside the lawfirm I work at has to have a standard signature and no other and no real ability to change it. Of course this thing is 9-12 lines deep, includes cell numbers private or not, and people are pissed about all of it. 0000 Thursday the system is going to go through and wipe out everyone's signatures and plunk this in and gently caress you deal with it.

"The standard email format is mandatory and is being driven by Marketing for consistency and professionalism"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
What the hell is it with you Yanks and your drug tests? It's not like we can drive a SAN into someone in the parking lot. Well, not usually..

Wait, is it something with health care or something?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

What the hell is it with you Yanks and your drug tests? It's not like we can drive a SAN into someone in the parking lot. Well, not usually..

A little bit of liability mixed with not wanting to hire someone that could get nailed on a felony with a dash of not wanting people showing up to work impaired.

I make no commentary on it one way or the other, that's just how everything kind of shook out after War On Drugs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My favorite piss test was the one where I was about halfway through before I realized the plastic cup was broken and it was starting to leak. :derp:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's even worse if pot is legal on your state. You can still get fired over it, even if you do it on your own time.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

An interview came in :stare: :stare: :stare:

gently caress yeah!

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh god :f5:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best part about your new job is going to be the ability to see your old place burn down from your desk.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Crowley posted:

What the hell is it with you Yanks and your drug tests?

Never taken a drug test in my life :350: If you think the workplace is bad, we have a couple states who drug test welfare recipients. Surprise: They accomplish nothing, waste tons of money, and the people passing these laws would never agree to take a drug test themselves

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

It's even worse if pot is legal on your state. You can still get fired over it, even if you do it on your own time.

Lol if you guys don't smuggle in a bottle of piss. I mean, I don't smoke, I actually provide the piss, but yeah.

Edit: Only in the Navy do they actually watch the pee come out of your dick, and they don't even watch each time.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I did a year at Xerox and the desks had little catches to release the table top and slide it forward around half a foot to reveal a cable dump area. The back edge was lined with a rubber strip so cables could fall into this tray wherever you wanted them to. They were sweet.
Xerox did A Thing that wasn't cheap and dirty?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Lol if you guys don't smuggle in a bottle of piss. I mean, I don't smoke, I actually provide the piss, but yeah.

Edit: Only in the Navy do they actually watch the pee come out of your dick, and they don't even watch each time.

I only use military grade piss from my local supplier Julian for drug tests.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

You can get tested for, and fired for alcohol as well, and I know of one company that will fire you for smoking cigs(the only way they know is if you stand outside, but they still will).

Zero VGS posted:

Law enforcement also watches(if you are on probation and have a history of cheating, that is)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Aunt Beth posted:

Xerox did A Thing that wasn't cheap and dirty?

I really like their MFDs, they come with a lot of native quality of life features that you have to pay extra for with other manufacturers.

Like central management worth a poo poo.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I really like their MFDs, they come with a lot of native quality of life features that you have to pay extra for with other manufacturers.

Like central management worth a poo poo.
I mostly meant in terms of employment. Their devices are fine in my opinion, but their offices are generally depressing. Because who cares if your employeesresources are happy, right?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

The thing is, if I shrink the C drive partition I don't get the option to extend the system reserved in Disk Management. I can shrink that as well or extend the C back to normal, but can't take anything from C to give to reserved. Makes no sense but all the googling says you have to boot into a thumb drive partition app, and that's not an option for all these production workstations.

Perhaps it would be possible to shave 500MB off the C drive, clone the smaller recovery partition into this new space and then expand that partition.

I honestly don't know if you can do that with Powershell.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Aunt Beth posted:

I mostly meant in terms of employment. Their devices are fine in my opinion, but their offices are generally depressing. Because who cares if your employeesresources are happy, right?

Only my printers need to be happy, thank you kindly.

Because otherwise they'll break horribly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

You can get tested for, and fired for alcohol as well, and I know of one company that will fire you for smoking cigs(the only way they know is if you stand outside, but they still will).

Law enforcement also watches(if you are on probation and have a history of cheating, that is)

I thought you couldn't fire someone for having alcohol issues, because alcoholism is covered under the ADA?

Some quick Googling brings this up: http://www.theemployerhandbook.com/2015/08/under-the-ada-can-you-fire-an-alcoholic-who-doesnt-request-treatment.html

Looks like there's a bit of wiggle room, but I doubt any large business would actually try firing someone for an alcohol problem with no other paper trails of fuckupery, due to the legal shitstorm it could cause.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Zero VGS posted:

I thought you couldn't fire someone for having alcohol issues, because alcoholism is covered under the ADA?

Some quick Googling brings this up: http://www.theemployerhandbook.com/2015/08/under-the-ada-can-you-fire-an-alcoholic-who-doesnt-request-treatment.html

Looks like there's a bit of wiggle room, but I doubt any large business would actually try firing someone for an alcohol problem with no other paper trails of fuckupery, due to the legal shitstorm it could cause.

Unless, of course, they are in one of many situations where they can be arbitrarily fired at any time for no reason. :911:

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

LethalGeek posted:

includes cell numbers private or not

Wait, why does your company have your private number? Did you authorise them to give this out? I would be demanding this be excluded, or just start answering calls with "sorry, this is a private number, given out without permission".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Roargasm posted:

Never taken a drug test in my life :350: If you think the workplace is bad, we have a couple states who drug test welfare recipients. Surprise: They accomplish nothing, waste tons of money, and the people passing these laws would never agree to take a drug test themselves

I used to get sent for drug tests a lot when I worked in retail. Not because they thought I was doing drugs, but because they knew I WASN'T.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At a previous job, one of my coworkers was working on the floor, supine position and another person dropped a wrench on his face.

The injured guy had to take a drug test for insurance reasons.

It was literally adding an insult to injury.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

oTHi posted:

Wait, why does your company have your private number? Did you authorise them to give this out? I would be demanding this be excluded, or just start answering calls with "sorry, this is a private number, given out without permission".

It's normally on your resume, so it's not like you never gave it to them. Plus, I think a lot of companies have it on their various paperwork you fill out when you're hired. That doesn't make it okay to put it anywhere that co-workers or (faaaaaaaaar worse) customers/vendors/other companies can see it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aunt Beth posted:

We seemed to do alright. This was at one of the product design and test labs in glorious Europe though.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

OB_Juan posted:

It's normally on your resume, so it's not like you never gave it to them. Plus, I think a lot of companies have it on their various paperwork you fill out when you're hired. That doesn't make it okay to put it anywhere that co-workers or (faaaaaaaaar worse) customers/vendors/other companies can see it.

That's true, I guess. The new IT manager at my old job demanded (literally demanded) my personal number so she could contact me for a project that was going on. I would have given it to her, except that I had heard that she was pressuring a coworker who already had it for my number while I was away. She of course denied this when I confronted her about it, but I had no respect or trust in her, so I kept refusing until I resigned a couple of weeks later.

If the company wants to contact me outside of my assigned hours, they can pay for a work phone.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm thinking of putting all of my documentation on a buffalo drive and then filling it to 95% capacity with a bunch of videos of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5P68HVWS54.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_bomb

Crowley posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan

edit:

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Only my printers need to be happy, thank you kindly.

Because otherwise they'll break horribly.

We just had 13 new machines deployed and they were delivered with broken firmware, each one needed an upgrade, each upgrade took upwards of an hour. That was a fun week.

Then 2 days later we had to do it again because accounting didn't work, and guess what... an update fixes it!

2 weeks after that I'm still banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why this one copier keeps dropping off the network and SURPRISE! There's an update that fixes that too! 3 major version updates on 13 printers since they were delivered a month ago.

Xerox can suck a dick.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 18, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

oTHi posted:

If the company wants to contact me outside of my assigned hours, they can pay for a work phone.

Some of these "... then they can pay for a work phone" views are getting downright cartoonish.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

PCOS Bill posted:

Some of these "... then they can pay for a work phone" views are getting downright cartoonish.

"They can pay for a work phone that I turn off after work unless I'm on call."

:v:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My family business used to be in trucking / towing so we had to have a drug test program based on Federal regulations. Once you test positive you are allowed to come back to work as long as you participate in some type of program. One guy said f-that, I like to smoke weed and quit.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The guy I replaced was up on the satellite dish grid work on the roof and fell. He sliced his leg open and went to the emergency room to get patched up. The station forced him into workman's comp, he failed the drug test, and they fired him on the spot. Welp.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zero VGS posted:

There is a difference between an alcohol problem and drinking. That pretty much means that if you want to drink, and have that kind of job, make sure to push it into full blown alcoholism as quick as you can(you can only get fired for it if you haven't developed the disease!)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

If they drugtested in the bay area there's no way they could find the level of talent that exists here now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I got a new coworker a bit ago that I've not posted anything about because I was worried he might be a goon. But then today I learned that he had no idea what rickrolling was. :catstare:

Guess I'm safe to resume my bitching...

• Locked thread