Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mithaldu posted:

At close range? Including the top gunner?

Also you seem to be ignoring the fact that the magrider can be in places other tanks can't and can easily move between types of terrain other tanks can only with difficulties.

The thing's role is to flank other tanks and surprise them at close range, then pop them.

TD's don't flank things so I have no idea why you compared it to a TD. Mediums flank things. A medium with a crappy gun and that is as slow as a heavy tank is not going to be super desirable.

In Planetside 2, unlike in WoT, there are aircraft. Aircraft are really good at punishing lone tanks with stealth out of position. The magrider strugles in particular fighting aircraft due to the fixed gun, low angle of main gun elevation, and the fact that you have to find some kind of terrain feature to raise the nose to hit aircraft. However, that requires that the terrain feature you want to use (start of a hill) is in the same direction as the aircraft, or you can't do poo poo. If there is nothing to raise your nose and the guy stays >45 degrees you can sit there and die.

All of that is fair play within PS2, but the tank that tends to be places where it shouldn't is also the one that really has a bad time with aircraft. You see the problem, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Fans posted:

Maybe not the ideal role for the slowest vechicle in the game.

Hill climbing is nice, but there's really not that many hills you can't get up that a Magrider can and that's literally all it has going for it. It is outran by every other vechicle in the game, even the wobbling brick that is a Sunderer.

That's not quite true, spider tank can go almost anywhere it pleases once you know how it works, it is my absolute favourite tank to drive on Amerish and about half of esamir/indar, the mobility advantage it conveys is not expressable in numbers, it is also by far the smoothest driving tank and is able to be the nimblest, with a saron on top you can just spike damage, you shouldnt lose to a prowler unless you dont see him coming, vanguard is an interesting question, you'll probably lose if you dont have the right sort of terrain to play benny hill around until the shield wears off.

The reason i like the tank so much is just you can pull things off you cant in other tanks, crawling up a hill behind a prowler pack, laying mines on a road, alpha'ing one and running away as 5 BWC prowlers explode in your wake will never ever get old, and you can avoid more damage with it in a straight tank on tank fight.

Rakthar posted:

TD's don't flank things so I have no idea why you compared it to a TD. Mediums flank things. A medium with a crappy gun and that is as slow as a heavy tank is not going to be super desirable.

In Planetside 2, unlike in WoT, there are aircraft. Aircraft are really good at punishing lone tanks with stealth out of position. The magrider strugles in particular fighting aircraft due to the fixed gun, low angle of main gun elevation, and the fact that you have to find some kind of terrain feature to raise the nose to hit aircraft. However, that requires that the terrain feature you want to use (start of a hill) is in the same direction as the aircraft, or you can't do poo poo. If there is nothing to raise your nose and the guy stays >45 degrees you can sit there and die.

All of that is fair play within PS2, but the tank that tends to be places where it shouldn't is also the one that really has a bad time with aircraft. You see the problem, right?

It has advantages for AA compared to the other tanks, being able to stick it on a bump very easily means that you can slot planes trying to stay above turret traverse, and there are bumps everywhere in planetside, its a neat feature, not as good as the Titan AP at it for my money but it still has the edge on the prowler. If you get caught alone by a plane in a tank you are hosed if the guy is any good, no if's or but's, the magrider can do something unexpected which might kill him, the vanguard just has a big lump of damage at high speed which if he gets careless you can get him with. (In a prowler you are probably SOL).

(Just please DBG, please give it extra speed on that cannon, its like spitting at them)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You can do almost everything in this game with any tool if you play to its strengths. That doesn't mean the magrider is a good tank .

For fucks sake our faction trait is no bullet drop. Our "tank" throws slow pitch softball.

I don't care if it can be good or used well, if I want a fun tank experience I have to switch factions or play warthunder.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
magriders should be cheaper than the other tanks.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

No magriders should be given a loving turret some guy already made the model its insanely easy but DBG just doesn't give a poo poo. You know whats an easy fix? PS1, main gun is on top while the 2nd gun is fixed frontal arc. Give magriders the same DPS as prowlers except 1 of the guns is in a fixed frontal arc.

Remember magrider is the slowest tank that has neither staying power(vanguard) nor DPS(prowler). It is literally a complete failure in design.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Mustarde posted:

If you can crutch a 3+ KDR with HA, there's no reason you can't get a similar or slightly lower result as an LA with the NS11-C. Some things to consider:

-Make sure you use NW and medkits on your LA
-HVA provides an absurd boost to velocity on the 11C so make sure you equip it
-I comp/grip my 11C but some very good LA's will laser theirs because it remains very accurate while ADS and you also get really good CQC hip fire ability.
-Headshots do help, but if you are flanking someone, it doesn't really matter.
-4-5 round bursts.

My aim has slowly improved over the 3 years I've played this game but it's not particularly exceptional. You don't need a fully intact brain or MLG twitch aim to use this weapon. Just focus on your positioning and ambush people from mid range. That's one of the reasons the Pulsar C is one of my favorite carbines ever - you can kill someone at 50m before they can get to cover, without ever exposing yourself.

Maybe this is a good time to learn how to play non-HA classes - instead of quitting after the 11C, consider doing more carbines until you are good at it!

So this stuff already helped. I hadn't clicked just how slow the bullets were with SPA on this gun. HVA, a comp, NW instead of ASC and swapping C4 for medkits have improved my performance already. Thanks dude!

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
ITT: Everyone forgets about the existence of the Saron.

The Saron is the primary weapon of the McRyder. If you expect to do anything in a mag without a top tier gunner in a certed out Saron you probably should reconsider and pull a AP lightning.

Good magrider crews are few and far between but I think that's mainly due to 99% of the meta revolving around redeployside completely neutering any chance at fun armor fights. ECUS were beastly in their mags when DBG broke the harasser's turret stabilization for a few months.

Nookovian-Red fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 17, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

One change: make mag's main gun have zero drop. Push it to live and see how that does.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I remember when they said they were gonna give the Mag guns the same velocity as Vanguard guns. Then it didn't happen :soe:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Tried the polaris, it was pretty nice but the thing is its only 143 out to 25m and pointless up close. Still have no reason not to use the orion/LSW--today at rime i turned a corner on 6 NC hugging a wall and just mowed them all down with the orion it was glorious. I might try the orion with a laser just to see how it fares because all close range fights seem to be hipfire ADAD spam now.

Hit detection is so loving bad, flanked a pack of 6 NC and just held down the trigger but because they were so close together and moving 40 rounds didn't kill a single loving one. I now spray in a wide arc because the hit box is bouncing all over the loving place so if i follow the model i die.

I'm basically playing PS1 with COF weapons.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PS1 had better FPS on worse computers than this.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magriders are great when I know there's a lancer nest nearby I hide behind if a real tank shows up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So the 3 year anniversary pack heroic boost only applies to one character? What kind of bullshit is that? Is the other stuff that comes with it any good?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's a bad pack and you shouldn't bother.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
magrider projectile should curve upwards imo

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Yeah basically the only thing I'm going to be using is the camos after buying it. Too many things in the Exceptional tree now, I'll be finishing that up soon and don't generally want to be using stuff that isn't working towards a directive of some kind. For me (i.e. a dumb Whale that buys everything) there's no point using the AE pistols when they don't go towards pistols or the AE heavy guns when they don't go towards the bling armour.

I would really have liked a golden Mercenary or something.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I just want the pack for the blue camo. Finally, a good camo for NC.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

It does look really nice. It works very well with Shatter. BANANAGUNS

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, seriously. I would buy that camo by itself.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It's funny how the NC are the only faction with camo that is actually really efficient, even if only against VS.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

I have blue/digital on my infiltrator classes and for the first time ever as an NC at night I can sneak into big piles of VS people from odd angles and act like I'm supposed to be there. I can only imagine it'll be even better when I get black camo.

You can't use Shatter and expect it to work though

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Clamps McGraw posted:

I have blue/digital on my infiltrator classes and for the first time ever as an NC at night I can sneak into big piles of VS people from odd angles and act like I'm supposed to be there. I can only imagine it'll be even better when I get black camo.

You can't use Shatter and expect it to work though

But if you're not using shatter, industrial, or loyal hearts as NC, then why are you even playing the faction?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gaghskull posted:

But if you're not using shatter, industrial, or loyal hearts as NC, then why are you even playing the faction?

I use splatter because it is offensive to the eyes. It's like Dazzle camo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Emerald picked TR for the Server Smash.

WILL THIS BE THE END OF EMERALD?

Or will the Striker light up the skies as Emerald's DEATH TO ALL SKYGODS comes into effect?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Keeshhound posted:

I use splatter because it is offensive to the eyes. It's like Dazzle camo.

So long as you have picked a camo that can give you a headache when you're hungover just by looking at it, you have chosen correctly.

If you can cause a headache to someone sober, than you have the perfect camo.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Gaghskull posted:

Hey I use Shatter on all classes except when trying to :ninja:

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I just want the pack for the blue camo. Finally, a good camo for NC.

uh. shatter, the best camo, has existed for awhile!!!

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Theres a really nice solid blue, kinda dark, but super shiny camo that I really like but I can't recall the name of. Looks like a dark sapphire coating.
EDIT: Just looked, "War Embers"

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 18, 2015

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If they had released anniversary tech camo (which is even shinier and chromier) and a hydraulics kit for harassers I'd have sponged out.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gaghskull posted:

If you can cause a headache to someone sober, than you have the perfect camo.

That'd be Plasma.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I have plasma on everything. I love plasma, it is so bad.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

Clamps McGraw posted:

So this stuff already helped. I hadn't clicked just how slow the bullets were with SPA on this gun. HVA, a comp, NW instead of ASC and swapping C4 for medkits have improved my performance already. Thanks dude!

No problem - not many people actually try out some of the advice they are given. Kudos for keeping an open mind and I hope things keep getting better!

Here's a video I made a while back with LA gameplay, it's mostly vanu carbines but I think there's some 11C footage. I generally play LA the same no matter what weapon - poke from mid range, try to catch people off guard, nanoweave, medkits. I'm no Vonic but I can hold my own most of the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEIKmdHRJ7g

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Clamps McGraw posted:

Hey I use Shatter on all classes except when trying to :ninja:

Nah, be bright even then. My NC infiltrator sports loyal hearts, the cowboy hat, and pink loyal hearts gun.

I just wish vs had something on the same level. Granted I haven't really played in a few months so maybe something got added.

JohnnieWalker919
Nov 6, 2014

Mustarde posted:

-HVA provides an absurd boost to velocity on the 11C so make sure you equip it

This advice just changed the NS 11C for me. I couldn't see why people liked it when I had soft point on it. Equipped HVA last night and the gun clicked, thank you!

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

JohnnieWalker919 posted:

This advice just changed the NS 11C for me. I couldn't see why people liked it when I had soft point on it. Equipped HVA last night and the gun clicked, thank you!

For whatever strange reason, different attachments affect each weapon differently. I used to have a spreadsheet out with every stat/attachment but I've long since stopped being such a nerd (yeah right). But one that that stood out was HVA's disproportionate boost to the 11C. It's something like a 30-40% velocity boost. I don't put HVA on anything else, but the 11C.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Use HVA on all carbines but on nothing else. They get a special HVA that's more effective with less downside

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Carbines are just bigger SMGs. :colbert:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Technically they're smaller rifles

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

sitchelin posted:

Carbines are just bigger SMGs. :colbert:

ns7 for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

JohnnieWalker919 posted:

Yeah seriously my k/d on LA has literally tripled going from SPA to HVA on this gun, it makes such a huge difference

• Locked thread