Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody out there deploying Azure Resource Templates with the button in git repo like this: https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/tree/master/active-directory-new-domain-ha-2-dc only private?

I've cloned the repo, set up a token in github, set the token in https://resources.azure.com/providers/Microsoft.Web/sourcecontrols/GitHub, triedthe stuff from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33239397/deploying-website-from-private-github-repository-using-arm-templates, but every time I get a "// Error loading template from (site)". Just wondering if I'm going down the right path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Karthe posted:

What's a good way of determining how much I should be making given the work I currently do and my work experience? I'm currently being underpaid for Angular + Django app dev for a Japanese IT consulting company in LA county (this includes daily use of Japanese for communicating with my boss). Before this I worked as a sysadmin/network admin/helpdesk monkey for a small company for three years, and before that back in college I worked for one of the administrative IT departments for four years.

I know I'm worth a lot more than I'm making now, but I'm curious by how much. I've tried Glassdoor but salaries were all over the board so I wasn't sure how to parse all that info. And it doesn't help that I'm totally a jack-of-all-trades: I've been able to quickly pick up things as I go but I haven't yet found my niche. As a result I've found myself adapting to whatever IT-oriented opportunities I've found thus far. That said I think I've finally admitted to myself that app development is more my forte so I'll probably continue down that path for the foreseeable future.

Ask your current job for a raise. Cherry pick a salary you'd be happy with, and take it to your supervisor and say "Industry average pay for the job I am performing is X, which is Y less then what I'm making. I'm not threatening to quit, but eventually it won't make much sense for me to stay here".

I used that exact line back in July/August and my new boss gave me a 12.5% raise, and my coworker a 10% raise. It happened yesterday, and he (coworker) was blown away. He said that since our last boss had given us 8% last year and then quit that that was the end of the gravy train and would never have asked. I was confused, as in my opinion you absolutely have to ask to be given what you want.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Who am I supposed to tell when I'm putting in my notice? I told my direct manager/team lead and he said to tell HR, I told HR and they said ok and that I don't need to fill out paperwork or anything but I don't think the director of our department knows yet? :confused:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

crunk dork posted:

Who am I supposed to tell when I'm putting in my notice? I told my direct manager/team lead and he said to tell HR, I told HR and they said ok and that I don't need to fill out paperwork or anything but I don't think the director of our department knows yet? :confused:

You leave jobs so fast. :lol:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Trying to troubleshoot an exchange problem and the other guy doesn't want to listen to me, so now instead of just an issue with our public folders our entire exchange server is down and I'm just getting to sit here and watch it burn. Cool day.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
As long as everyone knows whose fault it really is (it's yours for not ,murdering that other dude).

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

You leave jobs so fast. :lol:

I know, I was trying really hard to not get pulled from where I am now for at least a year to have some longevity, I made to 5 months :(

I didn't really plan on leaving and told this recruiter I wasn't interested in the position due to my short stints at jobs, but he talked me into at least putting in for it and I ended up getting it... Working with HP at a cleared facility at 1.5 times current pay, I guess people with any Cisco knowledge at all are hard to find in the midwest.

The security clearance was the big deciding factor for me. Not having to drive to clients in a 100 mile radius around where my actual work is will be nice too. I've effectively job-hopped my way into making almost 3x what I was making at the beginning of the year though and no one has brought it up to me as an issue yet either so...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

As long as everyone knows whose fault it really is (it's yours for not ,murdering that other dude).

ticket opened with microsoft now :allears:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

crunk dork posted:

I know, I was trying really hard to not get pulled from where I am now for at least a year to have some longevity, I made to 5 months :(

I didn't really plan on leaving and told this recruiter I wasn't interested in the position due to my short stints at jobs, but he talked me into at least putting in for it and I ended up getting it... Working with HP at a cleared facility at 1.5 times current pay, I guess people with any Cisco knowledge at all are hard to find in the midwest.

The security clearance was the big deciding factor for me. Not having to drive to clients in a 100 mile radius around where my actual work is will be nice too. I've effectively job-hopped my way into making almost 3x what I was making at the beginning of the year though and no one has brought it up to me as an issue yet either so...

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it - if you're always moving upward and your resume can be put together such that it's readily apparent, I don't think most employers will care. I think a bunch of lateral transitions would be a little more of an issue.

I'm honestly jealous. CCENT scheduled for mid December! I even wasted the money to buy myself a router (and now I wanna get a switch too). Anyway, not to derail.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

crunk dork posted:

I've effectively job-hopped my way into making almost 3x what I was making at the beginning of the year though and no one has brought it up to me as an issue yet either so...

This is what everyone should be trying to do.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I wish you could apply for clearance on your own. I want to go make bank too.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it - if you're always moving upward and your resume can be put together such that it's readily apparent, I don't think most employers will care. I think a bunch of lateral transitions would be a little more of an issue.

I'm honestly jealous. CCENT scheduled for mid December! I even wasted the money to buy myself a router (and now I wanna get a switch too). Anyway, not to derail.
The positive spin I've been putting on it is that I'm not content to stagnate and am eager to learn more complicated things quickly :pseudo:

You should totally buy a 2950, it's fun to play with real devices I think, even if it isn't necessary. I think it might be necessary for learning how to reset passwords in ROMmon too, but don't quote me on that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My friend told me I could eBay some equipment to build a lab environment to study for CCNA - could anyone suggest what parts would be good and cheap for this purpose?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

My friend told me I could eBay some equipment to build a lab environment to study for CCNA - could anyone suggest what parts would be good and cheap for this purpose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CP6w6TAIc

Switch - Cisco 2950 / 3550
Router - Cisco 2611 / 2621

You can virtualize basically all of CCNA with GNS3/PacketTracer, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When I was a student I used Packettracer, because there was no way I could afford to buy that much equipment or pay my hydro bill for it. It worked fine.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I started my first IT job about a month ago doing help desk support for a company's custom software. There's also on-site training/installs (which i am not doing yet) but most of the support is done via WebEx.

I think I'm terribly bored already. Most of my day is spent waiting for the phone to ring, with calls taking 5 minutes-2 hours depending. Today I've taken 3 calls and gone to lunch. Woo. Apparently call volume varies wildly depending on the time of year (we're in package tracking/accountable mail) but I think some days are less than 30 tickets across 8 techs.

Most of my background (education) is in networking, so I guess I should work towards the Cisco certs I intended to finish once I'd graduated. I like my job (i just wish I had more to do, I suppose) and everyone is super chill, but maybe that's the problem. How do you guys in lower volume help desks/etc stave off this boredom? Good lord.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

suuma posted:

I started my first IT job about a month ago doing help desk support for a company's custom software. There's also on-site training/installs (which i am not doing yet) but most of the support is done via WebEx.

I think I'm terribly bored already. Most of my day is spent waiting for the phone to ring, with calls taking 5 minutes-2 hours depending. Today I've taken 3 calls and gone to lunch. Woo. Apparently call volume varies wildly depending on the time of year (we're in package tracking/accountable mail) but I think some days are less than 30 tickets across 8 techs.

Most of my background (education) is in networking, so I guess I should work towards the Cisco certs I intended to finish once I'd graduated. I like my job (i just wish I had more to do, I suppose) and everyone is super chill, but maybe that's the problem. How do you guys in lower volume help desks/etc stave off this boredom? Good lord.

study certs so you can gtfo.

I got lucky and got a promo to sys admin, but that won't happen everywhere (in fact I would never count on it anywhere)

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

MF_James posted:

study certs so you can gtfo.

I got lucky and got a promo to sys admin, but that won't happen everywhere (in fact I would never count on it anywhere)

Yeah there're ~30 employees here across sales/marketing/support/dev. Chance of really moving up, slim. I kind of got into it knowing it'd be sort of dead end but figured it was better than the retail job I held all through college (pay is much better, too).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

suuma posted:

Yeah there're ~30 employees here across sales/marketing/support/dev. Chance of really moving up, slim. I kind of got into it knowing it'd be sort of dead end but figured it was better than the retail job I held all through college (pay is much better, too).

Oh yeah anything is better than NOT being in the field, you're still building skills: Customer service skills, troubleshooting skills, you're learning how to handle people on the phone/remote work and stuff like that. If there's not really "other duties" for you to do during down time, I'd go full bore and read up for certs CCNA, MCSA whatever your flavor is.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
guess I get our sysadmin position on monday :toot: Can't wait for this disaster.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

MF_James posted:

Oh yeah anything is better than NOT being in the field, you're still building skills: Customer service skills, troubleshooting skills, you're learning how to handle people on the phone/remote work and stuff like that. If there's not really "other duties" for you to do during down time, I'd go full bore and read up for certs CCNA, MCSA whatever your flavor is.

I've been kind of mulling over the position I'm in (going from being king of the hill in my old job to doing nothing for 3/4 of my day).

This is oddly encouraging. Thanks. :hfive:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Kashuno posted:

guess I get our sysadmin position on monday :toot: Can't wait for this disaster.

Well that escalated quickly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devmd01 posted:

Well that escalated quickly.

Actually unrelated to today's disaster (which $500 later is solved)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I wish you could apply for clearance on your own. I want to go make bank too.

The money is good but it is not free, by any means. Most of these environments are an absolute pain to work in and the government people are terrible to work for. Be careful what you wish for.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GOOCHY posted:

The money is good but it is not free, by any means. Most of these environments are an absolute pain to work in and the government people are terrible to work for. Be careful what you wish for.

Govt environments are the worst + you are using about a decade old hardware unless you got into a real sweet gig. It's ALMOST as painful as being HIPAA compliant in a cloud infrastructure (kill me plz).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Switch - Cisco 2950 / 3550
Router - Cisco 2611 / 2621

You can virtualize basically all of CCNA with GNS3/PacketTracer, though.

Thank you!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I read in the OP that this is a good place for general chit chat IT related. Today one of our racks came in from the integrator, yay!

This doesn't look promising:

The other side looks less so:

Finding out what's inside is easy when the non-removable lid is opened for you:

:stare:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Some re-assembly required. No CoD.

mewse
May 2, 2006

So what's the dollar figure on that rack?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

No shock sensors on the box? I've never seen racks moved without them:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cross post from certification thread:

I'm one test from wrapping up my 2012 MCSA. Thinking about the MCSE after.

Given about 10 years experience to stand behind it: is the MCSE worth my time in terms of job value? I'm leaning yes but maybe I'm off base.

Already have CCNA and Sec+ to go with it (and the experience as mentioned)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MrMoo posted:

Our first attempt at buying an IBM SAN was written off and billed to the couriers insurers due to those stickers being tripped. Good times.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mewse posted:

So what's the dollar figure on that rack?

I don't know precisely, but $200kish.

MrMoo posted:

You don't know it's not just in that hole. :colbert: (Yeah that was a surprise to me as well, I will suggest them for next time.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know precisely, but $200kish.

:eyepop:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

One time in the navy me and one other guy slipped dropped a half-million dollar 200-pound rack down a ship's steel staircase and it bounced off every step on the way down. No one saw us do it so we kinda dusted it off and plugged it in and it worked fine!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've bounced a workstation down the stairs and pretended it didn't happen but I think the monetary consequences of my idiocy are literally a thousandth of what you guys are talking about

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Govt environments are the worst + you are using about a decade old hardware unless you got into a real sweet gig. It's ALMOST as painful as being HIPAA compliant in a cloud infrastructure (kill me plz).

We're actually going through a similar thing at my employer (HIPAA and SOC2 type 2) and it hasn't been that bad so far. Are the bad parts coming later? What specifically do you take issue with?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mewse posted:

I've bounced a workstation down the stairs and pretended it didn't happen but I think the monetary consequences of my idiocy are literally a thousandth of what you guys are talking about

None of it is anyone's personal liability. The shippers insurance is going to cover it, and our integrator will start manufacturing a replacement immediately. We will even get to jump the line in all likelihood. This is 100% pure comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

None of it is anyone's personal liability. The shippers insurance is going to cover it, and our integrator will start manufacturing a replacement immediately. We will even get to jump the line in all likelihood. This is 100% pure comedy.

I'd like to go back to the fact that your picture is hilarious because it's got the tidy velcro wrapped cables up at the top and they route directly to the cable management on the right hand side where they enter Salvador Dali's idea of an equipment rack