Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

What triggers AI ottomans to get claims on Armenia? According to the wiki they get them if they're not allied to the current holder - I was allied to the ottomans but my vassal owned the provinces, did that cause the claims to get created?

Do they have the "Safeguard Eastern Anatolia" mission? That will give them claims there, and make them hostile towards the current owners or their suzerain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

GreyPowerVan posted:

There's a shamanist province up there

I had to load that poo poo up just to check, I've played hundreds of hours of this dumb game and I'd somehow never noticed Lapland started shamanist. Is there anything you can do with that? I'd love to give a shamanist sapmi run a shot as long as I didn't have to console my way in cause I ain't no dirty cheater.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

double nine posted:

What triggers AI ottomans to get claims on Armenia? According to the wiki they get them if they're not allied to the current holder - I was allied to the ottomans but my vassal owned the provinces, did that cause the claims to get created?

Almost certainly the Safeguard Eastern Anatolia mission.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aisar posted:

I had to load that poo poo up just to check, I've played hundreds of hours of this dumb game and I'd somehow never noticed Lapland started shamanist. Is there anything you can do with that? I'd love to give a shamanist sapmi run a shot as long as I didn't have to console my way in cause I ain't no dirty cheater.

Convert to pagan (so Shamanist, Animist, and Totemist) is a massive bitch compared to any other religious category because you have to tank your economy to pull it off.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Savoy just inherited all but 3 Burgundian provinces in 1457 due to emperor Hesse being too small. Looks like France has an actual rival :getin:

I'm playing Poland for the achievements.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Directly after that picture was taken, a coalition of 140k declared vs my 45k~.

I maybe shouldn't have annexed 200 WS of provinces that quickly.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Is there a good "beginner horde" to start off as to get used to the mechanics? I tried a Crimea game but the PLC declared on me pretty much instantly.

Or is it absolutely not worth play a horde game before Cossacks?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

YoSaff posted:

Is there a good "beginner horde" to start off as to get used to the mechanics? I tried a Crimea game but the PLC declared on me pretty much instantly.

Or is it absolutely not worth play a horde game before Cossacks?

The golden horde is in a good place.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Just be ready to restart or savescum a bit because hordes are brittle, brittle things.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Don't start a horde game until December 1st.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Colonial Air Force posted:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Aisar posted:

I know I saw a screenshot of someone doing a pagan sweden run. It may have been ddrjake or maybe i'm mixing that up with the screenshot i saw of the sunni pope

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hordes are fun even before The Cossacks.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there a clear indicator of how a siege is going? In CKII the morale meter tells the story, but here I can't figure out how a siege is going overall.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

snoremac posted:

Is there a clear indicator of how a siege is going? In CKII the morale meter tells the story, but here I can't figure out how a siege is going overall.

The little clock icon with '5' under it means that the siege has 5 progress. Progress starts at 0 and goes up to 14 though usually forts will fall before that happens. The more progress, the higher the chance of the fort surrendering each on siege tick (30 days between ticks, before modifiers). The big '14%' means that there is is a 14% chance of the fort surrendering on the next siege tick.

For lots of details see all the tooltips and http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Sieges

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

cool and good posted:

I know I saw a screenshot of someone doing a pagan sweden run. It may have been ddrjake or maybe i'm mixing that up with the screenshot i saw of the sunni pope

Yes it was DDRJake and I think he also managed to make a Shamanist Gelre The Emperor by the end of it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The little clock icon with '5' under it means that the siege has 5 progress. Progress starts at 0 and goes up to 14 though usually forts will fall before that happens. The more progress, the higher the chance of the fort surrendering each on siege tick (30 days between ticks, before modifiers). The big '14%' means that there is is a 14% chance of the fort surrendering on the next siege tick.

For lots of details see all the tooltips and http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_warfare#Sieges

Thanks. I read the thing you linked to before posting but couldn't understand it. Your explanation is easier to wrap my head around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

14 progress levels for fort levels >3. Pretty sure it only counts to 12 on level 1 forts.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Nassau became emperor and inherited all of Burgundy. It's small variations like this that makes eu4 so enjoyable.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Star posted:

Nassau became emperor and inherited all of Burgundy. It's small variations like this that makes eu4 so enjoyable.

Doesn't the emperor need a minimum amount of provinces? I know when 2 province Hesse was the emperor Burgundy went to Savoy instead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Almost certainly the Safeguard Eastern Anatolia mission.

Had I incorporated all of Armenia AND had Ottomans as an ally, would they not have gotten those claims?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Can anyone give me some tips for playing as the Papal State? I dont see how I'm supposed to expand into territories in the HRE, seems really difficult to get allies that will be able to help. I guess I could go after Naples.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Too Poetic posted:

Can anyone give me some tips for playing as the Papal State? I dont see how I'm supposed to expand into territories in the HRE, seems really difficult to get allies that will be able to help. I guess I could go after Naples.

50 years after game start Northern italy gets kicked out of the HRE. In the mean time go after naples and/or venice

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

double nine posted:

50 years after game start Northern italy gets kicked out of the HRE. In the mean time go after naples and/or venice
Yeah I know I just wanted to go after it sooner. Ah well.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
You can always butter up Austria and try to join the HRE, then just ditch with everyone else. If you ally them too you can even avoid the unlawful territory requests.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tendronai posted:

You can always butter up Austria and try to join the HRE, then just ditch with everyone else. If you ally them too you can even avoid the unlawful territory requests.

here's a "guide"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUjWa6QBSCo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Linking to a DDRJake campaign is less of a guide and more of a "why you will never be as good as ddrjake"

anyways, release avignon and join HRE

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

You know what I wish for? The ability to spend diplo points to tank my country's opinion of another. Call it propaganda.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If you're the papal state do you still get the malus for being in the empire after northern italy leaves?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

TaurusTorus posted:

You know what I wish for? The ability to spend diplo points to tank my country's opinion of another. Call it propaganda.

What does "your country's opinion of x" ultimately modify, anyway? The list can't possibly be that big.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

quadrophrenic posted:

What does "your country's opinion of x" ultimately modify, anyway? The list can't possibly be that big.

You get a -1 stab hit if you declare war on a country you have a high opinion of. As far as I'm aware, that's it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So I was wanting to do a Spain->HRE game. Started as Aragon to get that l33t France alliance, and was just absolutely loving killing it until.... I was no longer eligible to become emperor. I was still a monarchy, had a King, and the HRE hadn't passed any reforms AFAIK, and I couldn't force them to retract reforms after winning a war.

Any ideas?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So I was wanting to do a Spain->HRE game. Started as Aragon to get that l33t France alliance, and was just absolutely loving killing it until.... I was no longer eligible to become emperor. I was still a monarchy, had a King, and the HRE hadn't passed any reforms AFAIK, and I couldn't force them to retract reforms after winning a war.

Any ideas?

Have a queen? They can't become empress unless the pragmatic sanction's been passed, and only Austria gets that event because ~reasons~

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Status effect lasted for multiple rulers, female or male.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Any ideas?

I am assuming the religious leagues haven't formed and the the religion of the HRE hasn't been settled yet?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Tsyni posted:

I am assuming the religious leagues haven't formed and the the religion of the HRE hasn't been settled yet?

This may be it. I think I formed Spain right around the time people started picking sides, but IIRC the HRE and I picked Catholic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Allyn posted:

Have a queen? They can't become empress unless the pragmatic sanction's been passed, and only Austria gets that event because ~reasons~

Pretty sure I've seen Bohemia get the Pragmatic Sanction before so I think that's not correct.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

vyelkin posted:

Pretty sure I've seen Bohemia get the Pragmatic Sanction before so I think that's not correct.

Entirely possible it got changed tbh, I've not played for a while (and I may have missed it changing before then anyway). It was that case at one point in time, anyway :shobon:

Also I just noticed you said king in the post anyway so :durr: my bad. What's the exact wording when you mouse over the electors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Pragmatic Sanction used to be Austria only but now it's a decision you can take, I think any country in the HRE who can become Emperor has access. It does cost 25 IA though.

• Locked thread