Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Buddy of mine recently paid the incorrect amount for a wedding. Discuss.

Shuttup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Buddy of mine recently paid the incorrect amount for a wedding. Discuss.

How much did he pay the photographer

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Did I share the story my classmate told me, about her sister who was too proud to tell the insurance company that she dropped her $2k+ Mac, and instead told them it was the dog? Her insurance didn't cover poo poo caused by pets...

Being too proud is bad with money.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

Did I share the story my classmate told me, about her sister who was too proud to tell the insurance company that she dropped her $2k+ Mac, and instead told them it was the dog? Her insurance didn't cover poo poo caused by pets...

Being too proud is bad with money.

A co-worker did something like this about 15 years ago with one of the first iBooks. We heard screaming from her office so we kicked the door in thinking she was being attacked, only to witness her frozen in place and wailing as a tipped-over venti chai tea latte emptied into her keyboard. I distinctly remember watching the liquid level rise through the semi-opaque case. She bought the machine on her credit card so she had an extended warranty that covered accidental damage, but when she called them she told them she was at work. Guess what? It was a personal credit card and the added warranty did not cover business use. Two and a half grand down the drain. Almost.

She put it through the washing machine and dried it out for two weeks and it worked. Then she tried to sell it to me for two grand because "it was brand new and barely used" and I laughed in her face.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Not a Children posted:

Wow. I got my Camry for $22k new in 2012.

I don't understand how the prices could get that high. Oh no I'm paying $50 at the pump, better spend an extra $12k on my car to cut that in half, that'll help tighten the old budget up

And then there's the inverse of this "Hey, gas prices are down to 2 bucks, let me buy the most excessive, gas-guzzliest behemoth I can get a loan approved for, there's no possible way gas prices will go up again during the six-year term of my loan!"

People are stupid and BWM. Especially when it comes to Americans and cars and our dumb car culture.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

r0ck0 posted:

Sure thing, Mortimer.

Looking good, Billy Ray!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

cowofwar posted:

Dude is wise to keep his name off her poo poo.

She will always be in debt because she clearly doesn't give a gently caress. :sever:

Eh it depends. BWM as hell but I moved in with my partner 8 years ago and he had over 100k in debt due to a failed business venture. I didn't help him with his debt at all other than short term "loans" to square payment schedules that were all paid back and he is debt free as of this year. All I did was cover rent, groceries and a few other bills but it's all relative. I guess the difference is he has a well paying job and I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat if he does stupid poo poo.

People told me to leave him quite a few times but sincerity and determination goes a long way.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

flyboi posted:

Eh it depends. BWM as hell but I moved in with my partner 8 years ago and he had over 100k in debt due to a failed business venture. I didn't help him with his debt at all other than short term "loans" to square payment schedules that were all paid back and he is debt free as of this year. All I did was cover rent, groceries and a few other bills but it's all relative. I guess the difference is he has a well paying job and I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat if he does stupid poo poo.

People told me to leave him quite a few times but sincerity and determination goes a long way.
Huge consumer debt suggests a pattern of bad choices; I'm not sure if failed business loans are comparable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flyboi posted:

Those have no place in the BWM calculus, sorry.

It's also rare for people to bother posting "my significant other is steadily reducing his debt and our relationship is fine", because it's a non-story.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I was just pointing out that people can recover from 6 figure debt without severing and hitting the gym. Not everyone does but hey, sometimes BWM can turn around. It's 8 years with a lot of stupid BWM poo poo glossed over including two Vegas trips.

Edit: and for some BWM we are going to Vegas in March to celebrate :aaaaa:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flyboi posted:

I was just pointing out that people can recover from 6 figure debt without severing and hitting the gym. Not everyone does but hey, sometimes BWM can turn around. It's 8 years with a lot of stupid BWM poo poo glossed over including two Vegas trips.

Yes, I agree. I meant that there isn't a subreddit to crawl for success stories, so availability bias can make it easy to believe that it never works.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

She put it through the washing machine and dried it out for two weeks and it worked. Then she tried to sell it to me for two grand because "it was brand new and barely used" and I laughed in her face.

Like, the washing machine for clothes? I cannot believe a laptop would survive a run through a washing machine.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I assumed dishwasher.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah dishwasher with no detergent could probably do it.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I meant dishwasher. We call them washing machines in Canada.

yeah...

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

Chuch posted:

People are stupid and BWM. Especially when it comes to Americans and cars and our dumb car culture.

When Gas Becomes Cheaper, Americans Buy More Expensive Gas
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/21/when-gas-becomes-cheaper-americans-buy-more-expensive-gas.html

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I love this country. Nothing ever makes sense.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

I do this. Prefer the extra power and responsiveness of 93, but since it's optional, I won't buy it if it's more than $4/ga.

Also, holy crap, $37k on a loving Prius. We got our 14 for $24k OTD, and I still feel like we overpaid a bit.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm curious how she framed the risk. Ponzi schemes usually offer really good returns at relatively low risk, but this was mortgage loans for people with bad credit. Who the gently caress makes subprime home loans and then is surprised when it turns to poo poo? The fact that it was a Ponzi scheme means at least some people made money which is probably better than they would have gotten had she actually been lending the money out to real borrowers.

I don't know poo poo beyond what is in the articles, but I doubt anybody got their money back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theHUNGERian posted:

I don't know poo poo beyond what is in the articles, but I doubt anybody got their money back.

Don't Ponzi schemes, by definition, pay out older investment "returns" using newer investments? If she wasn't paying out, it was just fraud, not a Ponzi.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Dillbag posted:

I meant dishwasher. We call them washing machines in Canada.

yeah...

No we don't.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

:thejoke:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

oRenj9 posted:

I do this. Prefer the extra power and responsiveness of 93, but since it's optional, I won't buy it if it's more than $4/ga.

Also, holy crap, $37k on a loving Prius. We got our 14 for $24k OTD, and I still feel like we overpaid a bit.

Good lord you do understand that octane is nothing more than the compression your gas can take before exploding? There is no extra power unless you have a car tuned specifically for higher octane. Without going hardcore AI there's literally no reason to drive beyond the recommended octane from your car manufacturer.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flyboi posted:

Good lord you do understand that octane is nothing more than the compression your gas can take before exploding? There is no extra power unless you have a car tuned specifically for higher octane. Without going hardcore AI there's literally no reason to drive beyond the recommended octane from your car manufacturer.
I like to imagine he's putting 93 in the Prius.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

oRenj9 posted:

Are you joking? :psyduck:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
To be fair to anybody fooled into buying higher octane gas-- the entire system is designed to fool the consumer and lots of marketing dollars are spent on it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Do you also buy audiophile cables but only if they're less than $4/cm?

High octane fuel is something you use when your engine requires it and maybe sometimes in older cars. My uncle had an ancient car that needed higher octane fuel or the engine would knock because of built up crap in the cylinders. Octane is about compatibility not performance.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If you like the power and responsiveness of 93, I'm sure you're of the discerning taste that requires Monster diamond HDMI cables :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I have a car that's supposed to run on 92, but will accept 87 due to having knock sensors, etc and adjusting engine performance in response. So, buying 93 does indeed give me better performance since it's the expected octane (since no one here sells 92).

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
A ton of people at my new job are constantly buying coffee. And not just a regular cup of coffee, but the sugary bullshit that costs an arm and a leg. I poo poo you not they'll get caramel macchiatos from starbucks. Or things like smore lattes with extra marshmallow flavor or whatever super sweet concoction is the latest flavor. I'll often see a starbucks coffee in their hand in the morning meeting, and then in the afternoon meeting, it will be a coffee cup from a different coffee shop.

Now don't get me wrong, coffee courses through my veins, but I bring a thermos full of it from a pot I brew at home before work.

They always ask me if I want anything when they go on a run, and I always politely decline. The other day they said I'm going to have to get some "real coffee" with them one of these days. Being the new guy I just kind of smiled and was like yeah okay you're right, but christ, I just did some napkin math, and they're spending the equivalent of a months rent each year on sugary bullshit coffee. And that's probably lowballing the amount they buy.

Plus they all commute from at least a half hour away and get food delivered often.

That's not to say I don't enjoy a coffee drink like that now and then, but oh my God.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 18, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

I have a car that's supposed to run on 92, but will accept 87 due to having knock sensors, etc and adjusting engine performance in response. So, buying 93 does indeed give me better performance since it's the expected octane (since no one here sells 92).

The answer is maybe. If you're not feeling or hearing any pinging then you want to run the lowest octane you can get away with. I had a turbo Supra that absolutely needed 91+ or it would be risking the engine. I had a 2000 I30 that would run on 87 but had bad pinging and got terrible fuel mileage. It was worth it to run 89 in that car.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Feeling a little left out of this gas chat as I prepare to bike to work :smugdog:

e: for content

Reddit posted:

My grandma has wired her life savings to a scam artist saying that she has won the lottery and that they need money to pay the taxes. These people call her 30-40 times a day at all hours of the day and night. Supposedly they will deliver the check Thursday. She is still in denial but my uncle is planning on driving her to the police station immediately after the scammer fails to show up. Is there any steps that I, my family, or she should be taking?

My uncle believes that the scammer works at a bank in Florida. He got the scammers number by doing a reverse phone search. His research indicates that this women impersonated a Deloitte employee. He also believes she worked for the bank, got fired, started a hairdressing business, went out of business, and now works at the bank again.

We have known for a while that she is vulnerable to scams such as this as she has admitted to sending a couple hundred dollars occasionally. We have previously contacted the police and visited her bank to inform them. We have also warned her repeatedly about scams. Apparently, none of this worked.

We have reached out to the IRS for their assistance. For everyone saying go to the police, the police have said that they basically can't/won't do anything until my grandma actually files the complaint so we have wait for her to admit that she has been scammed.

Edit: To be clear, we have previously gone to her bank to alert them of the situation. She switched banks to avoid suspicion at her bank. We have also previously called the police who came to her house and told her that she is being scammed. We have also attempted to block her phone. None of this prevented this latest scam.

Grandma no :smith: Also come on Uncle Whoever, don't want until the scammer "fails to show up" to go to the police.

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 18, 2015

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

Grandma no :smith: Also come on Uncle Whoever, don't want until the scammer "fails to show up" to go to the police.

quote:

For everyone saying go to the police, the police have said that they basically can't/won't do anything until my grandma actually files the complaint so we have wait for her to admit that she has been scammed.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Yeah I saw that, but it seems like maybe if they took her to the police they might be able to talk some sense into her to report earlier? I'm not surprised they'd blow off the relatives if they're showing up without the scamee.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

Yeah I saw that, but it seems like maybe if they took her to the police they might be able to talk some sense into her to report earlier? I'm not surprised they'd blow off the relatives if they're showing up without the scamee.

Grandma actually opened up accounts in other banks to avoid people talking sense to her. Odds are she's been warned against going to the police (the IRS will take more of her 'winnings' or it'll delay her check). These scammers are pretty good at keeping their marks on the hook for as long as possible. There will be some plausible excuse for why the check didn't arrive on Thursday that Grandma will believe.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

NancyPants posted:

Yeah dishwasher with no detergent could probably do it.

I'm still having a hard time believe that the answer to "liquid in laptop" is "more liquid in laptop".

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I'm still having a hard time believe that the answer to "liquid in laptop" is "more liquid in laptop".

I think it's the short circuits caused by having a laptop full of tea that does the most damage. You might get lucky if you immediately cut the power and wash out the entire thing before making sure it's bone dry before you turn it back on.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yes, it's gwm to brew your own coffee. It's also ok to spend your disposable income on things. This isn't the min/max thread.

It's also even better with money to socialize with your co-workers. You get better jobs by being liked and being good at your job. The guy sneering with his 60oz camping thermos is "that guy" in my office.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yes, it's gwm to brew your own coffee. It's also ok to spend your disposable income on things. This isn't the min/max thread.

It's also even better with money to socialize with your co-workers. You get better jobs by being liked and being good at your job. The guy sneering with his 60oz camping thermos is "that guy" in my office.

I thought the whole point of this thread was to gloat over people spending buttloads of money on coffee-flavored milkshakes and such?

But on the other hand, just think of the promotions that guy is passing up by not buying starbucks 2x or more a day!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Your 20s are not the time to save; they’re the time to gamble. $200 a month isn’t going to make the dent that a $60,000 pay raise will after spending all those nights out networking.

Guys all you have to do is drink expensive coffee and socialize! That's how you get a huge raise. No wonder Slomo was in such good financial health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Enzo posted:

I thought the whole point of this thread was to gloat over people spending buttloads of money on coffee-flavored milkshakes and such?

But on the other hand, just think of the promotions that guy is passing up by not buying starbucks 2x or more a day!

Guys all you have to do is drink expensive coffee and socialize! That's how you get a huge raise. No wonder Slomo was in such good financial health.

It's not spending the money, it's socializing. You can buy the cheapest thing on the menu and still be part of the group. That's not saying he'll get raises from it, but if he's new at his job it's probably a good idea to fit in and not be that guy.

• Locked thread