Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lyer posted:

Merc what time are you leading the raid later this week :v:
I think I might wait until stuff settles down before looking at it. I'm sure there'll be a flurry of mini patches as exploits and problems are fixed with it.

On the bright side, my stable of alts will allow me to fill any role as required :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

17 glorious failures! :whip:

minus the walrus
Apr 8, 2007

Mercurius posted:

I think I might wait until stuff settles down before looking at it. I'm sure there'll be a flurry of mini patches as exploits and problems are fixed with it.

On the bright side, my stable of alts will allow me to fill any role as required :v:

Oh come on! It'll be fun! :3:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

minus the walrus posted:

Oh come on! It'll be fun! :3:
No thanks, I did WoW raids a lot during WotLK and have no real interest in hardcore raiding ever again :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ItBurns posted:

Let's make sure that anyone considering this game sees nothing but a solid block of 40 posts bitching about how this is the worst MMO on the market.

Coming into the free version, played WoW for five years from launch; it's pretty good. Though I spent like thirty minutes drunkenly clicking on my 'underwater item' slots trying to work out why I couldn't see them on my character.

minus the walrus
Apr 8, 2007

Mercurius posted:

No thanks, I did WoW raids a lot during WotLK and have no real interest in hardcore raiding ever again :v:

Been there, done that. It doesn't really feel the same though, at least to me! But I guess I can't force you. :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The biggest issue I can see for the raid is how it throws a hard DPS check at you right at the gate with no real content to bridge or teach a player to do any of that.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Coming into the free version, played WoW for five years from launch; it's pretty good. Though I spent like thirty minutes drunkenly clicking on my 'underwater item' slots trying to work out why I couldn't see them on my character.

Yeah it's actually a really great game. There are just a hanful of posters with pretty consistent ego/emotional issues that post in the thread between bouts of not logging in.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mark Katzbach posted:

As many in our player community are aware, we invited the guild Death and Taxes [DnT] to our raids testing program a month ago and gave them unlimited access to the three raid wings currently under development. Upon public release of our first raid wing today, DnT decided to go against the spirit of our relationship by promoting the speed with which they completed the raid wing without ensuring that those reading their comments were fully aware of the fact that they had been given early access. In taking that approach, DnT showed that they do not fully respect everyone in our community, and that is something that we take extremely seriously. As a result, we have decided to remove DnT from our testing program. We want to thank them for their involvement.

Moving forward, ArenaNet continues to be excited about the possibility of collaborating with guilds in the spirit of creating great raids and fostering a positive relationship with our community. We’ll be watching as other groups attempt to defeat the raid with the goal of identifying additional likely test candidates.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Guilds-In-Raids-Testing/5770337

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

In a shocking turn of events DnT turned out to be assholes

edit: lol this pubbie burn is actually really good

quote:

They did get world first. Probably not the one they wanted though.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 18, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lol DnT, i love achievement drama in MMO's

Anyone else crashing again after the patch? :negative:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I did but then it made me repatch and it worked okay.

Anyone that's killed a boss mind explaining what the raid masteries entail?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stormgale posted:

The biggest issue I can see for the raid is how it throws a hard DPS check at you right at the gate with no real content to bridge or teach a player to do any of that.
Well, I think they're basically aiming it at the sort of people who have been doing dungeon speed clears or high level fractals for a while (y'know, the whole organised group content thing) where raw DPS and berserker stats have been the way to go for a while. The biggest issue I think the playerbase is going to face is realising that yes, sometimes you have to drop your own personal DPS a bit in order to provide utility like boon stripping or yes, you do actually need people who can do high condition damage.

Given you have to adapt your builds around to fit the situation I don't think we'll see hard and fast one-size-fits-all meta builds for the raids but I think the most popular classes for the roles I outlined earlier are going to be:
  • Tank - Scrapper, Reaper, Guardian
  • Boon removal/corruption - Necro, Chronomancer, Revenant
  • Mobility - Daredevil/Thief, Revenant, Warrior
  • Healing - Druid, Herald, Guardian, Tempest
  • Group Support - Guardian, Warrior, Tempest, Herald, Druid, Chronomancer
  • Condition DPS - Engineer, Berserker, Reaper, Ranger/Druid
  • Power DPS - all the usual suspects

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 18, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I dunno Though, how does the game and teach you or reward you to learn to do it first? Because as a player coming back to the game it's been: Reach 80->World events->Fractals (up to 25 now)->Jam Dick in door for raids. There's really no even progression path, and honestly how much build diversity really is there? Looking at the first fight you have no reflecting or projectile defence it's just play your good paper DPS builds except bring a Mesmer or Necro for that 1 bit of boon removal you need (trick option, you're all ready bringing a chronomancer for Alacrity).

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.
Verdant Brink is a bit of a mess right now, at least the ones I've been in, with stacks of commander tags sitting in the top right corner of the map. Makes doing the meta a bit trickier.

Gold

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I don't think that there's a better place to ask this, so I'm just going to go for it. Anyone playing this in the EU still? I realise that a lot of people have gone over to the US side, but I never made that leap.

Basically, I've been playing since launch, but I've actually accomplished very little and just pop in to play every so often and then leave again, mainly because I find it quite boring being solo all the time. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who is interested in... well just playing the game. I mean at the moment i'm in Sparkfly Fen seeing places I've never seen before and just muddling about completing the map, and it's a great change of pace from my other games.

Does region even matter any more? I suppose I should have asked that first.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol, nerds.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Khaba posted:

I don't think that there's a better place to ask this, so I'm just going to go for it. Anyone playing this in the EU still? I realise that a lot of people have gone over to the US side, but I never made that leap.

Basically, I've been playing since launch, but I've actually accomplished very little and just pop in to play every so often and then leave again, mainly because I find it quite boring being solo all the time. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who is interested in... well just playing the game. I mean at the moment i'm in Sparkfly Fen seeing places I've never seen before and just muddling about completing the map, and it's a great change of pace from my other games.

Does region even matter any more? I suppose I should have asked that first.

For everything except WvW no, I'm pretty sure you can do basically everything with goons if you wanted?

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Stormgale posted:

For everything except WvW no, I'm pretty sure you can do basically everything with goons if you wanted?

EU and US have different megaservers. So no they could not do those things with most goons.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stormgale posted:

I dunno Though, how does the game and teach you or reward you to learn to do it first? Because as a player coming back to the game it's been: Reach 80->World events->Fractals (up to 25 now)->Jam Dick in door for raids. There's really no even progression path, and honestly how much build diversity really is there? Looking at the first fight you have no reflecting or projectile defence it's just play your good paper DPS builds except bring a Mesmer or Necro for that 1 bit of boon removal you need (trick option, you're all ready bringing a chronomancer for Alacrity).
You also need to have several people with condition damage which most players don't have organised at the moment because people were always running power based damage.

They're not really intending this for newbies as the addition of raids was in response to the request for larger-group organised group PvE content so I don't think they're really worried about the progression track you've described. Remember that there's not really any gear treadmill at 80 so the question is now 'are you doing organised 5 man stuff' or 'are you trying to do organised 10 man stuff that's harder' in which case the answers are 'fractals' and 'raids', respectively.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I have seen one (1) encounter in the raid and am ready to judge them as a whole, thank you.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

EU and US have different megaservers. So no they could not do those things with most goons.

Yeah, that's what I remember being the case. It's also probably not a great time to be asking about EU people given it's 1:30am here, but then again I never claimed to be smart.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Lmao rip in piss DnT rip in piss.

Edit: anytime any one says anything about how many alts they have, I am comforted because I am not alone.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

This is why I like the sub-less model, it lets anet call people out. Whats DnT going to do? Unsubscribe? :smug:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I have seen one (1) encounter in the raid and am ready to judge them as a whole, thank you.

Considering you need to beat that 1 encounter and the game has very little in the way to bridge the gap and teach players how to do it while also letting them get something for their trouble. Fractals sure ain't teaching me how to do proper burn phases on an 8 minute DPS check with a lot of incidental mechanics, dungeons neither.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Considering you need to beat that 1 encounter and the game has very little in the way to bridge the gap and teach players how to do it while also letting them get something for their trouble. Fractals sure ain't teaching me how to do proper burn phases on an 8 minute DPS check with a lot of incidental mechanics, dungeons neither.

Is this your first MMO? Look up a build guide.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lmao. At least there is one Sylvari.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

One of the new legendaries requirements is having all four non-raid HoT masteries maxed out. Get those sperg caps on!

If that's stuff that you have to combine in the MF, how do you get more than one?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ibblebibble posted:

If that's stuff that you have to combine in the MF, how do you get more than one?
You're thinking of the old gifts, new gifts is from map completion in Maguuma and you get more of them by doing map completion on multiple characters. Birb is talking about needing to have Exalted 5/Gliding 6/Itzel 6/Nuhoch 6 to do the legendaries as map completion uses most of those although I assume there's some additional requirements as otherwise you could do it with Exalted 1/Poison 4/Gliding 6.

E: clarity

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 18, 2015

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

teagone posted:

lmao. At least there is one Sylvari.

"because I don't wanna look at a male video game characters rear end" :rolleyes:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Karl L posted:

"because I don't wanna look at a male video game characters rear end" :rolleyes:

seen my norn

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

DnT is always entertaining. Remember when Wildstar's community manager called them out for phoning his personal number to beg for beta invites?

(and then the game turned out to be a turd anyway)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Karl L posted:

Tricks, please post the image. You know the one.

Kessel posted:

DnT is always entertaining. Remember when Wildstar's community manager called them out for phoning his personal number to beg for beta invites?

(and then the game turned out to be a turd anyway)
Also that time you ended up with a group of them in dungeons and they died all the time.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
100% deserved. The amount of trash talk out of DnT is hilarious.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Eltoasto posted:

lol DnT, i love achievement drama in MMO's

Anyone else crashing again after the patch? :negative:

My crashes have gotten *much* worse. I actually feel more impressed about it than upset.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh christ, I just found out that karka are real.

http://i.imgur.com/NnXTAx0.jpg

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

The best part of this DnT poo poo is the hordes of people coming out hooting and hollering about some kind of moral victory over the Mean Nerds Who Were Good At A Video Game that called their builds bad.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mercurius posted:

You're thinking of the old gifts, new gifts is from map completion in Maguuma and you get more of them by doing map completion on multiple characters. Birb is talking about needing to have Exalted 5/Gliding 6/Itzel 6/Nuhoch 6 to do the legendaries as map completion uses most of those although I assume there's some additional requirements as otherwise you could do it with Exalted 1/Poison 4/Gliding 6.

E: clarity

You need all four maxed to buy a gift from each respective map for 500 of that map's currency. The exception's the gliding gift which comes from Miyani for 300 of each currency.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Spookyelectric posted:

My crashes have gotten *much* worse. I actually feel more impressed about it than upset.

I've turned my graphics all the way down (except sub-sampling) and it has eliminated my crashing problem. The main only advantage of this approach is that the 'res' animation is your character throwing poo poo at the dead person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Adhesive Gamin posted:

The best part of this DnT poo poo is the hordes of people coming out hooting and hollering about some kind of moral victory over the Mean Nerds Who Were Good At A Video Game that called their builds bad.

From what I'm reading people are just giving them poo poo because they wanted to brag about their e-peen or something by mentioning morton salt a lot.

• Locked thread