Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq-qngvz9N0

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

But lithium’s reaction is the weakest in the group…

[dumbass picks up a huge chunk of the stuff]

:stare: That would do it.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!
"It's already black due to... oxidization" (drops lithium chunk into water right in front of his computer)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

uiopuiop123451 2 hours ago
+Marc Bruce I think I was blessed because thankfully all of the molten shards of flaming glass landed on my hardwood floor, which did not catch fire. The shards did cause some serious burns in my floor though. Now if I had a carpet the result could have been disastrous... I waited til the glass cooled and then cleaned up after the shock was over. I had to immediately vacate my room though because the smoke was so thick that I couldn't see three feet in front of me. Inhaling it did not feel healthy at all haha

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I hope he didn't kill 3 people like the vloger dude who set the pile of boxes on fire.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

When I saw the chunk of lithium, I could foresee the rest of the video. The hydrogen would catch fire, the water would start to boil, it would be too hot to touch, the glass would break since it wasn't Pyrex, which would then dump boiling lithium hydroxide solution all over his nifty laptop.

:ughh:
:owned::milk:

"Don't try this at home, kids."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Deteriorata posted:

When I saw the chunk of lithium, I could foresee the rest of the video. The hydrogen would catch fire, the water would start to boil, it would be too hot to touch, the glass would break since it wasn't Pyrex, which would then dump boiling lithium hydroxide solution all over his nifty laptop.

:ughh:
:owned::milk:

"Don't try this at home, kids."

I have to say though, I did not anticipate him picking up the glass of burning hydrogen

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thank you youtube for getting an entire generation of people to do stupid things for my entertainment.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Inhaling it did not feel healthy at all haha

Thread title material :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SneakyFrog posted:

thank you youtube for getting an entire generation of people to do stupid things for my entertainment.

On tape.

Things were probaly worse when you could graba a bottle of prussic acid frok your local art depot

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
thank you youtube for the boiling water challenge and the set yourself on fire challenge

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'm not sure if that was posted here or somewhere else but I just had a look at this report on a Radiological Accident in Georgia:
http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

"The three inhabitants used the objects as heaters when spending the night in the forest." :stonk:

[edit] I hadn't gotten to the pictures when I posted this. As the person below poster they are pretty graphic given that it's pictures of the patients backs as doctors are trying to treat various things dying, rotting and/or sloughing off.

That said it is interesting to see how different the reports by the Russian and French medical teams are.

Munin has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Nov 17, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Munin posted:

I'm not sure if that was posted here or somewhere else but I just had a look at this report on a Radiological Accident in Georgia:

"The three inhabitants used the objects as heaters when spending the night in the forest." :stonk:

:gonk: Be warned, some of those images are pretty horrifying. Patient 1's back looks like a loving pizza- and then it gets worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pffff

It literally was not until "22 Dec. 2001: All three patients are hospitalized in Zugdidi, Georgia. The three patients are diagnosed with ARS, and the case is reported to the Emergency Medical Center in T’bilisi (Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Affairs, Georgia), which requests a transfer of the patients to the IHT in T’bilisi." that I realized which Georgia this was.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Data Graham posted:

Pffff

It literally was not until "22 Dec. 2001: All three patients are hospitalized in Zugdidi, Georgia. The three patients are diagnosed with ARS, and the case is reported to the Emergency Medical Center in T’bilisi (Ministry of Labour, Health and Social Affairs, Georgia), which requests a transfer of the patients to the IHT in T’bilisi." that I realized which Georgia this was.

Cuz if a radiological accident happened in Atlanta, who'd be able to tell?

:v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Pffff

A cool thing about this: when they're documenting the treatments, one of the patients is covered in white goo. It's a topical bacteriophage treatment, which as far as I know is still only used in Georgia.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Munin posted:

is hot potato

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I wonder how warm the radioactive source would be? I'm guessing pretty warm since one dude spent 3 hours next to it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A White Guy posted:

I wonder how warm the radioactive source would be? I'm guessing pretty warm since one dude spent 3 hours next to it.

The sources melted clear a roughly 1 meter space around them and the ground was steaming so rather warm indeed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

A White Guy posted:

quote:

In these generators, the heat generating elements were 90Sr radioisotope sources with an activity of 1480 TBq and a heat power of 250 W.

quote:

The measured activity of the radioactive sources was about 40% less than the data provided on the source certificate. This decrease in activity was caused by radioactive decay. The radioactive sources were produced in 1983, and the half-life of strontium is 28 years. After 19 years, the activity of the radioactive sources should be 0.519/28 of the original activity. This is equal to 0.62 (i.e. the dose rate of a 19 year old source) at the distance of 1 m, which should be 0.62 Sv/h. This estimation is in good agreement with the results of the measurements taken.

I'm far from a nuclear expert so I might be wrong here, but assuming the heat output scales linearly with the radioactivity that puts the sources at emitting around 150 watts of heat each. Think of how hot a 100 watt light bulb gets (about 95 of those watts get wasted as heat), then add 50% more power to that.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Did it say anywhere what the sources were? I scanned the article and it seems like they always refer to them as "sources."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Strontium-90 RTGs, and I THINK it said they were about 1000 W of output but that might just have been the highest output of Soviet Sr-90 RTGs produced. The takeaway at the end is "yo former Soviet states, put radiation warnings on your RTGs that'd help a lot."

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Magnus Praeda posted:

Did it say anywhere what the sources were? I scanned the article and it seems like they always refer to them as "sources."

They were used to generate electricity for a radio relay system associated with some sort of large power generation project. The power plant was scrapped and the RTGs were abandoned in place (LOL)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

They were used to generate electricity for a radio relay system associated with some sort of large power generation project. The power plant was scrapped and the RTGs were abandoned in place (LOL)

With 2/8 still unaccounted for! :ussr:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sources like that were also used to power various equipment in remote locations across various other bits of the Soviet Union.

There is this cool article about the nuclear powered lighthouses Russia had along its northern coast:
http://englishrussia.com/2009/01/06/abandoned-russian-polar-nuclear-lighthouses/

Most of them are now derelict and not all sources are accounted for. The article has some cool pictures of an abandoned lighthouse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There are a whole bunch of incident reports like this. Quoting myself from the OSHA thread:

There's like almost a half-dozen orphan source incidents where the Ir-192 source breaks off and gets lost and some poor dude finds it and sticks it in his pocket.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1101_web.pdf

quote:

A serious radiological accident occurred in Peru in February 1999 when a welder picked up an I92lr industrial radiography source and put it in his pocket for several hours. This resulted in his receiving a high radiation dose that necessitated the amputation of one leg. His wife and children were also exposed, but to a much lesser extent.

When the welder arrived home at approximately 22:30, he reportedly complained to his wife about the pain and she looked at his posterior right thigh and noted a red area of skin. He took off his jeans and, with the source still in the pocket, placed them on the floor. He visited a local doctor who told him he had an "insect bite" and that he should put a hot compress on the area. The welder's wife meanwhile spent about five to ten minutes squatting/sitting on his jeans while she breastfed their 18 month old child. Two other children who were at home, a girl of ten and a boy of seven, were about two to three metres from the source for approximately two hours. After discussing his pain with his wife, the welder remembered the source in his jeans pocket, took it out with his right hand and carried it to the bathroom which was about four metres away outside the house (at approximately 23:00).

At 01:00 on 21 February, the operator of the company arrived at the welder's home and asked whether he had seen the source. The welder went to the bathroom and carried the source in his hands to the door. The radiographer told him to throw the source onto the street, after which recovery actions were initiated.

At the time of the incident, the source contained 1.4 terabecquerels of Ir-192. Guy took a 15 Gray dose to his femur, 25-30 Grays to his sciatic nerve. The report's fascinating, but also chock full of NMS medical imagery of massive tissue necrosis.

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/gen-comm/info-notices/1985/in85057.html

quote:

The accident originated at a fossil-fueled power plant under construction in Mohammedia, Morocco, where iridium-192 sources were being used to radiograph welds. In March 1984, one of these sources, that contained approximately 30 curies of iridium-192 at the time, apparently became disconnected from the drive cable and was not properly returned to its shielded container. Subsequently, the guide tube was disconnected from the camera and the source eventually dropped to the ground, where a passing laborer noticed the tiny metal cylinder and took it home. Although it is not clearly known if the problem originated from a disconnect between the source pigtail and drive cable or if a break occurred between the pigtail and source, there are indications that the latter may have occurred.

Within a relatively short period of time, during May and June of 1984, a total of eight persons, including the laborer and his entire family and some relatives, died with the clinical diagnosis of "lung hemorrhages." It was initially assumed that the deaths were the result of poisoning. Only after the last family member had died was it suspected that the deaths might have been caused by radiation. The source was recovered in June 1984.

Co-60's also fun, there have been a bunch of incidents at food or medical irradiation facilities where the workers take special pains to deactivate every single safety precaution in order to check something out and end up exposing themselves to the full unshielded fury of a petabecquerel-level cobalt-60 source and annihilate their bone marrow inside of about a minute.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub847_web.pdf
http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub925_web.pdf
http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1010_web.pdf

The last one there's probably the worst in terms of what trouble the guy had to go through to irradiate himself. There was even a pit with a section of movable floor, that moves to reveal the pit whenever the source is not in a safe position, and the key that you insert to move the floor to cover the pit so you can enter is the same one that you use in the master control panel to activate the source, so you can't do both things at the same time; either the source is operating and you'd need to get over the pit to enter the irradiation zone, or you have the key to move the floor over the pit in which case the source is in a safe position. There's also a pressure plate that, if you step on it, the source is automatically lowered to a safe position if it's not already there. None of this stopped the operator, a guy with an actual engineering degree and not some third-world peasant, from giving himself an 11-gray whole-body dose (with local doses up to 30 gray). Reading the clinical course of his treatment, it's amazing that they managed to keep him alive for 113 days; his treatment included massive doses of haemopoietic growth factors to restore his bone marrow and repeated blood transfusions.

These reports typically have a section entitled "Post-mortem analysis."

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The best incident was the one in Goiania, Brazil that happened because the security guard at an abandoned hospital played hooky to go see Herbie Goes Bananas.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I imagine a lot of these, especially the ones involving untrained personnel, are driven by the pure curiosity of "This weird thing I found is really warm and doesn't cool down. This is kinda neat, I should show somebody! "

If you took a hundred people off the streets of NYC and put them in these situations, probably 80% of them would react similarly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man science ignorance sure is terrible.

People think atoms glow green and blow up like ssj3 nitroglycerin, but this dull gray metal is pretty cool.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Phanatic posted:

There are a whole bunch of incident reports like this. Quoting myself from the OSHA thread:

There's like almost a half-dozen orphan source incidents where the Ir-192 source breaks off and gets lost and some poor dude finds it and sticks it in his pocket.

I think I posted this in one of the old OSHA threads, but a few years ago there was an A/T thread by a goon who did pipe x-raying and had a coworker who did that. It was titled something like "the man whose rear end rotted off."

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Why don't they etch a radiation warning directly onto these sources so this doesn't happen

Pretty sure most people know what the symbol for radioactivity looks like by now

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

I enjoy your optimistic assumption that people will pay attention to warning labels.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i vaguely recall a case where a shipment of these things for medical imaging technology or something was stolen in (mexico?), was covered in warning labels, and the thieves were told that they were dumbshits, they still took it, and were found all dead of radiation poisoning in the desert a few days later or something having cracked the containers open to look at what they stole

President Ark has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Nov 18, 2015

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Punting posted:

I enjoy your optimistic assumption that people will pay attention to warning labels.

This a thousand times. As the OSHA thread has repeatedly proven, people will go through any effort to circumvent safety measures if they think it will let them accomplish their job a few milliseconds faster. Ignoring warnings is just part and parcel of it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

President Ark posted:

i vaguely recall a case where a shipment of these things for medical imaging technology or something was stolen in (mexico?), was covered in warning labels, and the thieves were told that they were dumbshits, they still took it, and were found all dead of radiation poisoning in the desert a few days later or something having cracked the containers open to look at what they stole

The strange trend of Mexican thieves stealing radioactive material by accident

In all cases the material was recovered without anyone being irradiated.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

im full of poo poo posted:

Why don't they etch a radiation warning directly onto these sources so this doesn't happen

In the case of the iridium sources for weld inspection, they are *tiny*, the actual source is just a pigtail on the end of a cable. You could etch a trifoil into it, but nobody's going to be looking at it under a jeweler's loupe to see it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

As if losing a leg isn't bad enough...losing your taint/rear end in a top hat really sounds like it sucks. At least he seemed to still have his dick and balls, though it did mention urological reconstruction as a possible future treatment, so maybe he lost some of that too? Radiation is scary.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Abyssal Squid posted:

A cool thing about this: when they're documenting the treatments, one of the patients is covered in white goo. It's a topical bacteriophage treatment, which as far as I know is still only used in Georgia.

Afaik bacteriophages are used around the former USSR and are practically unknown in the outside world where antibiotics would be used instead. There's been some speculation that this is going to change if antibiotic resistant stuff becomes the new normal.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Afaik bacteriophages are used around the former USSR and are practically unknown in the outside world where antibiotics would be used instead. There's been some speculation that this is going to change if antibiotic resistant stuff becomes the new normal.

I hope so, bacteriophages are baller as gently caress. Look at this crazy poo poo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Phanatic posted:

In the case of the iridium sources for weld inspection, they are *tiny*, the actual source is just a pigtail on the end of a cable. You could etch a trifoil into it, but nobody's going to be looking at it under a jeweler's loupe to see it.
For illustration purposes (images from Oak Ridge Associated Universities Museum):