Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

visuvius posted:

Also adjust your white balance. Don't be afraid to go lower on ISO and try different shutter speeds.

A tripod and a $20 remote shutter will go a long way in getting better quality shots. Having said that, I'll be taking 99% of my tank shots with my phone at this point.

Why the remote shutter? Not sure how that benefits me if I'm standing behind the camera. Forgive me Camera Gods for I have sinned...

-e- Any cheap tripod recommendations? I was looking at the Amazon brand ones but I don't know how good they are.

Rallos fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For stuff like corals that you don't have to chase around, a tripod and a remote trigger will keep the camera from moving when you release the shutter.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

How'd I do? The colors seem a little bit washed out but what do I know.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
They are a bit washed out. Set your ISO lower or increase your shutter speed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Or just Photoshop the crap out of it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Here's a couple I took this morning.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That's a really cool zoa! I'm still deciding how I want to fill out my little tank... I was thinking a toadstool leather in the middle and then some zoas on the far right?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah aquascaping is literally an art. I always have a bitch of a time when setting up a new tank. Really give it some thought and search ReefCentral for pictures of cool aquascapes. Once poo poo starts growing its hard to rearrange things nicely.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Yeah... I've always been hilariously bad at art. I know for sure I want to have my torches/frogspawn/hammers on one side, something in the middle and something different on the right side. It's a small tank so I don't get to put a ton of things in there. Hopefully I can get a few frags of a couple types (zoas, leathers, etc) and then let them grow and fill it out.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Well gently caress me. Tank has been going downhill for a few months with no clear idea why. Thought it was pH, recalibrated probe and same readings as before. Salinity was right on target with calibration fluid, water changes didn't help. Thought it might be the new LED's, reduced photoperiod and intensity but again no change. Maybe temperature issues with the colder weather but nope, rock steady at 78-79 for as far back as I can see. Could be alkalinity/Can/Mg so did some testing and increased dosing a little.

Nothing. Necrosis on nearly every hard skeleton coral and large polyp stuff not opening or inflating.

Bought new salinity standard on a hunch. Old stuff was 6 years old, almost half gone of 100mL bottle.

New standard: 35ppt
Old standard: 45ppt
Tank: 45ppt

Best I can figure, I had been contaminating the old standard a tiny bit at a time by using the same eye dropper for both calibration and tank measuring. Any salt residue left from the previous measurement went into the bottle when I calibrated before making the next batch of SW because I didn't rinse the dropper after I was done, only between calibration and measurement of the tank or mixing barrel.

So tomorrow is the first of a few water changes with some 30ppt saltwater to gradually drop the salinity.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
That sucks... Hopefully you can salvage it. :ohdear:

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

The only things I have for sure lost are some ricordia which I was given when someone local tore down their tank; but I have never been able to keep them alive for some reason. Lost a couple heads off of each of the three euphyllia colonies but still some remaining, and there is quite a bit of skeleton showing on my big chalice/echinophyllia.

I'm doing 4 gallon water changes every 4 hours so as to not change too much too quickly. Should take 11 or 12 water changes to get the tank down to 35ppt.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Was yours Sybon brand? I just had a bottle that was 40ppt brand new. Pissed me off.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Stories like that make me nervous about using the stuff. Distilled water has been rock solid for me so far.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So.. I came in the morning after the power outage. Lost my clown :( I found him a few feet away from the tank on the floor. He must have jumped out. I had a battery powered air stone set to go on when the power went out. Do you think he got scared and jumped out? Everything else is healthy and happy. I didn't think clowns were jumpers so I wasn't too worried about a screen lid of some sort.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Oh yeah, clowns will jump as you've found out. I saved a $200 picasso when I heard the splash.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Any ideas for a lid that will work for this tank? I can't find anything other than the stock (lovely) plastic lid that has a big hole in the middle. I'd like to find something like plastic mesh or w/e so it doesnt block the light but prevents jumpers.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I've done one with a screen frame kit and 1/4" plastic netting. Looks like BRS sells kits now, too: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html. That's super expensive, though. If you can find the frame kit that's large enough for your tank at the hardware store you can just buy the netting by itself somewhere (or also at BRS)

porksmash fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 10, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Rallos posted:

Any ideas for a lid that will work for this tank? I can't find anything other than the stock (lovely) plastic lid that has a big hole in the middle. I'd like to find something like plastic mesh or w/e so it doesnt block the light but prevents jumpers.

You can also go super budget and stick velcro to the outside of the tank corners then take a loofah (the one you shower with), cut it to size, stretch it over and hook it to the velcro.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

porksmash posted:

I've done one with a screen frame kit and 1/4" plastic netting. Looks like BRS sells kits now, too: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html. That's super expensive, though. If you can find the frame kit that's large enough for your tank at the hardware store you can just buy the netting by itself somewhere (or also at BRS)

Thanks for the idea! Never thought about that. I found this tutorial that I am likely going to use. Will post my results.

http://reeftools.com/nn/how-to-build-a-screen-top-for-your-tank/

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Rallos posted:

Thanks for the idea! Never thought about that. I found this tutorial that I am likely going to use. Will post my results.

http://reeftools.com/nn/how-to-build-a-screen-top-for-your-tank/

I've done a couple of DIY screen lids for my 150 and am very happy with the results. I used aluminum frames and spline from Home Depot, but I did go with saltwater grade netting (I think from BRS, but I'm not positive). I've read that the nylon netting from Home Depot is sometimes treated with an anti-mildew agent that can be problematic for tanks.

My mesh tops have lasted for over five years with no issues; you just need to have some plastic trim cut to fit for the back of the tank (in order to accommodate cords and, in my case, the returns for a HOB refugium).

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I ordered some mesh from BRS and going to go pick up a small framing kit from Home Depot later.

Current tank shot:

Also: Does anyone here belong to ChicagoReefs?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Back of your tank needs some cover up. Grab some dark window tint from walmart and cover the back.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
FTS:

Green star is going through one of those "recessed" phases but I assure you it's very healthy (too healthy lol)

Aquascape is garbage and I already know what I'm going to do to fix it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Overall, everything is growing quite well. I've got a paly frag(middle-right) that's grown by a third or so in the last two weeks.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Nice tank! I didn't even think about dark window tint. I was wondering what to do about that since all the cords showing is ugly as hell.

-e- So... one of my clowns decided that he wanted to play in my RBTA this morning!! Everything was well and good but now the nem is moving around... is the clown stressing it out???

Rallos fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 13, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rallos posted:

I ordered some mesh from BRS and going to go pick up a small framing kit from Home Depot later.

Current tank shot:

Also: Does anyone here belong to ChicagoReefs?

I lurk chicagoreefs and rc/cmas. I think there's maybe three chicagoons in this thread, including you.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Chicagoon and eel alert: Reefwise in Lisle carries and sells golden dwarf morays regularly at $150/ea. I snagged one. (100% price premium over Hawaii pricing, ok fine, whatever)

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
$150 is not that bad of a price, especially if she's already eating frozen. Enjoy your eel buddy! I love all of my cuddly water snakes!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

$150 is not that bad of a price, especially if she's already eating frozen. Enjoy your eel buddy! I love all of my cuddly water snakes!

Eating pe mysis, that was the only reason I even realized it was a dwarf golden. Nothing in that store was labelled at all, and prior to feeding all I saw was a tail, and given the lighting I was thinking it was a white ribbon (ghost) eel. Next cube over was a black ribbon eel, which is also a real beaut.

I've got krill (frozen and freeze dried), pe mysis, and rod's predator mix I can strain out and try, so he's probably good on food one way or the other.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 18, 2015

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Ooh! What size tank do you have him in?

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Mine eats mostly scallops (they are her favorite), which chunk up really nicely with just your fingers into smaller bits. Are you target feeding with tongs/rod? You'll want to make sure you do that to help prevent any food aggression or confusion later down the line. The ends of my tongs are painted, so my eels only eat from their color (most of the time). You can also train them to swim up PVC pipes with the edges painted in their color to facilitate easier feedings!

Make sure you stay away from any cop piled treatments in the water or food, and you should be fine!

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

Mine eats mostly scallops (they are her favorite), which chunk up really nicely with just your fingers into smaller bits. Are you target feeding with tongs/rod? You'll want to make sure you do that to help prevent any food aggression or confusion later down the line. The ends of my tongs are painted, so my eels only eat from their color (most of the time). You can also train them to swim up PVC pipes with the edges painted in their color to facilitate easier feedings!

Make sure you stay away from any cop piled treatments in the water or food, and you should be fine!

Do you keep them frozen or in the fridge? Also, whats the absolute min size you would keep one of these guys in? Considering they are pretty much stationary.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Buy fresh, portion, freeze.

My eel foods consist of shrimp, scallops, conch, crab, squid, and some sort of saltwater fish meat. Usually whatever is on sale (right now it's swordfish chunks). I cut em all up in the sizes I need for who eats what, put them in baggies, and then freeze em till I need em. I add garlic and several vitamins when thawing.

I recommend always freezing fresh seafood to make sure you kill any potentially harmful parasites or bacteria.

As far as size.. Mine is in my 90g and it seems almost overkill until I see her out and moving around. I would say with sufficient live rock, you could probably get away with a 30g and still provide a good life for them.

Remember with a smaller tank to keep an eye on your parameters, they are messy eaters and can have a serious impact on your nitrates.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
This shop near my house sells mostly FW fish but has a few SW tanks. One of them has a snowflake eel that has been in there for a long time. The tank is just a sand bottom with no places to hide. The poor eel is always trying to hide behind the one little thin fake plant. I want to rescue it but my tank isnt big enough :ohdear:

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

That breaks my heart! Tell them to put at least a pvc pipe in there, sweet lord! We used clear pvc in the education tanks at seaworld so the kids could still see them, if that's the stores concern.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
I turn off my filter to feed everything, but last night I forgot to turn it back on so it went overnight with no flow. Corals look fine but I lost my lovely anemone shrimp. I'm kicking myself a lot right now.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Sorry for your loss. RIP Anemone Shrimp

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's strange. I'd expect the animals in a moderately-stocked tank to go a lot longer than 24 hours without flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Hey there little guy.

revmoo posted:

That's strange. I'd expect the animals in a moderately-stocked tank to go a lot longer than 24 hours without flow.

I thought the exact same thing.

• Locked thread