Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Disappointing Pie posted:

The newest iOS beta allows for side dismissal of safari view controller.

Edit: I can also confirm the stuck jittery scrolling in thread view on the latest beta.

Do you have a third party keyboard? Does that still crash when trying to reply to a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

carry on then posted:

Do you have a third party keyboard? Does that still crash when trying to reply to a thread?

Haven't had a crash yet, but then again I've only replied twice. But considering how it took me at least 5 tries per reply, it's looking good.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

That's encouraging. Hopefully we can cross a few things off the list without actually doing any work :v:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I do not run a 3rd party keyboard.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

What did you have in mind?

My hypothesis is that layout is being done (perhaps inadvertently) on a background thread which is affecting our constraints, whose update is in turn triggered on a background thread, and that keyboard change notifications are what's triggering the layout pass. (I can say from experience that custom keyboards can trigger a lot of weird keyboard change notifications as they try to sort out their height.) If we can somehow break any part of this chain of events (e.g. by making the keyboard notifications irrelevant by moving the web view around, or by isolating our constraints from the web view), maybe we can avoid the crash.

My other idea is to somehow catch the exception or prevent it being thrown.

Alternately I'm full of poo poo and none of this will make any difference.

baram. posted:

Since updating to the new beta this morning if I'm scrolling down in a thread sometimes it gets real jittery & keeps jumping back up, intermittently.

Fixed in the next beta, which I'll send out whenever it's done "processing". It was a side effect of fixing the jumpy scrolling when leaving then returning to Awful. I think it's all good now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

My hypothesis is that layout is being done (perhaps inadvertently) on a background thread which is affecting our constraints, whose update is in turn triggered on a background thread, and that keyboard change notifications are what's triggering the layout pass. (I can say from experience that custom keyboards can trigger a lot of weird keyboard change notifications as they try to sort out their height.) If we can somehow break any part of this chain of events (e.g. by making the keyboard notifications irrelevant by moving the web view around, or by isolating our constraints from the web view), maybe we can avoid the crash.

My other idea is to somehow catch the exception or prevent it being thrown.

Alternately I'm full of poo poo and none of this will make any difference.

I see what you mean. I noticed when testing that SwiftKey wouldn't smoothly slide all the way up, it'd slide up and stop with the spacebar still off the screen, then readjust in one frame on the new thread page (which didn't crash.) But when it would crash on the reply screen, that one frame jump hadn't happened yet (it would freeze on the exception breakpoint.) Unfortunately I couldn't see a place to catch that exception since the stack trace didn't go through any Awful code directly.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Getting a few Error Code 0 and -1s when trying to upload images. 9.1, latest app version. Is this a known issue?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

SKY COQ posted:

Getting a few Error Code 0 and -1s when trying to upload images. 9.1, latest app version. Is this a known issue?

Same here. Also upload too fast, can't remember if that's a different code.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just wanted to say again that tap-to-play GIFs are loving badass. Maybe as badass as tag autoclose. Just maybe.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

SKY COQ posted:

It is known in the sense that image uploading is oddly broken in many ways, but I'll make a note of this particular instance!

Subjunctive posted:

Just wanted to say again that tap-to-play GIFs are loving badass. Maybe as badass as tag autoclose. Just maybe.

Gonna try to get this release out the door this weekend!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is a super minor quibble but shouldn't this read "last page" instead of "last post"? Clicking it takes you to the beginning of the last page, not the last post.

Sorry for wasting your time :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Instead it should probably go to the last post, I think.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I actually like it going to the beginning of the last page, I use it to see the most recent posts which is more useful to me than just the very last one.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah I like the functionality of the last page. We have icons now for all three of those textual buttons. It could look like this for consistency:

|<< @ >>|

Where the @ is refresh icon.

Agree the ornament isn't working. I can mock some up today and post them here if anyone has more ideas. I was thinking a dotted line all the way across? It's sort of difficult cause I haven't seen any use of something like that in other apps. There's no common symbol I'm aware of.

As an idea I just thought of, what if the very end of a thread has, say, half or a third of a screen of excess blank space at the end. No ornament. Enough that when scrolling down you are aware of it. Similar to how it already is when you open a thread with one new post in it that doesn't reach all the way down.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

spanky the dolphin posted:

As an idea I just thought of, what if the very end of a thread has, say, half or a third of a screen of excess blank space at the end. No ornament. Enough that when scrolling down you are aware of it. Similar to how it already is when you open a thread with one new post in it that doesn't reach all the way down.

I could get behind this. Too often I am refreshing or skipping to the next page because I am generally reading the top third of the screen and start scrolling.

Could you get the letters to start shaking or flashing as you pull to refresh or go to the next page? If I was genuinely wanting to pull down, it wouldn't bother me, but it might be a visual cue to stop scrolling.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I could get behind this. Too often I am refreshing or skipping to the next page because I am generally reading the top third of the screen and start scrolling.

Could you get the letters to start shaking or flashing as you pull to refresh or go to the next page? If I was genuinely wanting to pull down, it wouldn't bother me, but it might be a visual cue to stop scrolling.

Perhaps a dimming effect? Like the page fades to 50% opacity or something while the pull-to-xxx is in action.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Weirdly, my username/password are being rejected by the app but work just fine when I log in on the PC

edit: and then it makes a liar out of me by working on my sixth attempt.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I realized this has been asked before but is there any possibility of FYAD flags being added? They would enhance my experience with this app greatly.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Snowy posted:

Same here. Also upload too fast, can't remember if that's a different code.

Thirding this, ftr.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
I've been assigned an ipad mini for business and recreational use and thus far this app has been the one single bastion of sanity in a sea of terrible and unattractive ui design and functionality, and I'd just really like to thank you for that.

edit - it is of course 15 minutes after posting this that I notice that the app doesn't honour posts/page user settings. I am having a bad day...

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 10, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
what happened to the TestFlight beta

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
why does the app lock up when you try to post a thread?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you still have new thread credits left for this month?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cancelling a preview crashes the app for me. Using SwiftKey And am on 9.2b2

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

Do you still have new thread credits left for this month?

Yes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

jackyl posted:

why does the app lock up when you try to post a thread?

Fixed in next.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I seemingly got the little nub from a copy/paste selector stuck?

it's weird. it's only happening in this app but if I hit the back button it disappears until things load again.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This morning if I try to insert an image into a reply and hit post I'm getting an error 1 about uploading the file too fast.

iPhone 6 Plus, latest App Store release.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

iphone 6, latest awful, latest iOS.

Minor UI nitpick: when the forums return a database error (as they have a couple times this morning) when moving to the next page with the > button, the db error pops up, but the page count still increments as if I've changed pages successfully. Pulling up to change page doesn't change the count, seemingly.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Bug report, current release.

Sometimes a previously expanded forum will display the expanded - as opposed to v. It will be collapsed in the thread list. Quickly pressing the expand/collapse touch point three times (expand, collapse, expand) will cause a crash to springboard.

Edit: to avoid any hypocrisy-

Expected result: does not crash to springboard

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 15, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Or maybe an option to disable pulling up to load a new page. It brings me a lot of frustration and very little joy as it is.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I'll agree there too. I would say that, in general, inertial scrolling should never trigger an overscroll event. Should be already at the end. Also iOS should see a status bar tap as a "scroll to end" when the view is already at he top. Not on y'alls though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone seen a case where the refresh spinner on the bookmarks page doesn't show? Just a black bar instead. We had a crummy wi-fi connection at a hotel, and it seemed to happen often then, but I can't reproduce it on a proper connection.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The release notes for the latest Chrome for ios say that it's disabling third party keyboards because of a crash bug in ios 9. I'm wondering if it's the same one, and if so, no wonder you guys couldn't fix it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sounds about right, it has something to do with third party keyboards, a webview, and autolayout being done on a background thread. We've gotten reports that the bug doesn't happen in Awful running on iOS 9.2 betas, so fingers crossed, that's it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Having a weird issue where sometimes I can't tap links in threads. I've particularly noticed when it's Twitter links. If I hold on said link it pops up just fine so it knows the links there.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
the app is detecting it as a soft swipe idk why

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oddity:

Sometimes bans aren't linked to any specific post and are done by admins through the admin panel. When you tap on one of these in the Lepers tab in Awful nothing happens but the entry gets stuck highlighted and it looks like something's broken. So, like, that's a minor UI issue I guess.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Is there a setting so that YouTube links automatically open in the YouTube app when I tap them? They seem to do everywhere else, but unless I remember to tap and hold and specify to open in YouTube, the web view opens, asking if I want to open in YouTube. If I click cancel, just to see what the video is, I get a blank page. If I click Yes (or whatever), the video opens in the YouTube app, but when I go back to Awful, I have to hit Done to dismiss the blank web view so I can continue browsing the thread. It's just a couple extra steps for me, but it does get irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

IllegallySober posted:

This morning if I try to insert an image into a reply and hit post I'm getting an error 1 about uploading the file too fast.

iPhone 6 Plus, latest App Store release.
This has happened to me for a while, even did it on my old iPhone 5, and another iPhone 6 Plus

It usually only happens with photos that are shot with my phone and unedited. If I edit the photo in any way I don't get the error.

Although sometimes a photo is uploaded without error regardless of whether or not I've edited it.

• Locked thread