Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Slightly Toasted posted:

Guess that would be a good place for her to start then huh

No, it doesn't help your grammar, it helps you understand lovely grammar. I can confirm that small businesspeople have some of the worst grammar imaginable. I think it's because there's not as much of a need to communicate clearly with other people, as there is in a larger organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

EvilJoven posted:

Back to Beerchat. I'm in Regina on business and ended up at some place called Bushwakkers and wanted something that goes down like water so they brought me something called Cheryl's Blonde and its yummy.

I know that regional threads are a little more relaxed, but please try and avoid food/booze derails.

thanks xox

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Professor Shark posted:

A fun new game I came up with today is when you hear Right Wing politicians talk about how they're planning to refuse refugees, replace what they're saying with "I want to see young children and women die in horrible ways"

A fun new game I came up with today is when you hear Left Wing politicians talk about how they're planning to pull out of the fight against ISIS, replace what they're saying with "I want to see young children and women die in horrible ways"

It's getting tedious how similar the religious left and right are.

I don't understand the fascination with conservative facebookers and saskatchewan though, they have zero power. We have a federal Liberal majority. BC, Ontario, Quebec, NS, NB and PEI all Liberal majorities. NDP majorities in Alberta and Manitoba. You've done it, progressives make every major decision in the country now no matter how much conservatives bellyache on facebook. :toot:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I wonder what mandatory integration milestones we ought to put forward. Perhaps a new immigrant should be able to expertly weave tabarnak into sentences by the second month? Be acceptably fast on ice skates by the fourth, and able to play hockey within a year?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Ikantski posted:

A fun new game I came up with today is when you hear Left Wing politicians talk about how they're planning to pull out of the fight against ISIS, replace what they're saying with "I want to see young children and women die in horrible ways"

I don't understand the fascination with conservative facebookers and saskatchewan though, they have zero power. We have a federal Liberal majority. BC, Ontario, Quebec, NS, NB and PEI all Liberal majorities. NDP majorities in Alberta and Manitoba. You've done it, progressives make every major decision in the country now no matter how much conservatives bellyache on facebook. :toot:

If it makes you feel any better, Manitoba will probably be blue in the next year barring an unlikely liberal surge.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
You forgot the NL&L is very likely going red too.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Also calling Quebec's Liberals progressives is a bit fantastic. They're the CPC on economic issues, the Liberals on social issues (except less progressive), and the Alberta PCs on corruption.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Progressive is just another word for liberal.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ikantski posted:

I guess it depends on what you define as 'progressive'

Like the BC Libs are quite possibly even worse than the loving federal tories

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Heavy neutrino posted:

Also calling Quebec's Liberals progressives is a bit fantastic. They're the CPC on economic issues, the Liberals on social issues (except less progressive), and the Alberta PCs on corruption.

You know what grinds my gears? When people don't like the Liberals so they say that they're actually conservatives instead of just saying that they don't like that Liberal party. Happens for BC all the time, I bet THC is typing it right now.

Alctel posted:

I guess it depends on what you define as 'progressive'

It's a little tongue in cheek because the Liberals constantly platform on being the most progressive.

Wynne

quote:

Just about every observer of this election has said that the government I lead presented the most progressive budget in decades.

Trudeau

quote:

“We listened and together we built one of the most progressive platforms in Canadian history,” Trudeau said at an event in the riding of Beaches-East York.

“This election, the most progressive platform is the Liberal platform,” he told supporters who packed a restaurant and overflowed onto the sidewalk.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Sure but the Quebec Liberals are actually conservative. It's not for fun and jokes that Charest's name was even floated as a potential CPC leader.

Also I'm pretty sure I've said I hate the Quebec Liberals too often to count in this thread.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It means liberal.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So unrelated to our government doing their normal thing and being fuckups, and the Cons being racist as poo poo, Canada's other racist as poo poo organization just decided to do their thing. So here's a crosspost from TFR:

MohawkSatan posted:

So there's this:

http://calibremag.ca/home/2015/11/rcmp-prohibit-50-beowulf-magazines/

TL:DR is that the RCMP had decided 'multi-calibre' magazines capable of holding more than 5 rounds are now prohibited, specifically .50 Beowulf magazines. This goes against their original statement of 'it only matters what it was designed for'. So anyone here with a .50 Beowulf magazine, even if you have a .50 Beowulf rifle, is now in possession of a prohib magazine.

The main reason I'm bringing this up is it theoretically applies to any magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds of ammo of a calibre it was not originally designed for. Tube magazine in a shotgun? Well, can it hold more than 5 of those mini shells? Theoretically, it's now prohibited.

Basically, the RCMP is deciding that they write the laws again. Because, y'know, that could never turn out badly.

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

Also calling Quebec's Liberals progressives is a bit fantastic.

It is fantastic. The Quebec's Liberal party of today is an union of pretty much every hardcore canadian federalists. So you have both conservative and liberal elements in the same party. Jean Charest was a Tory before going liberal. In a way, the QLP is closer to what the old Tories used to be than any progressive liberal there was.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ikantski posted:

The differences between the Conservatives, Liberals and NDP don't amount to much in practice. Western NDP governments were basically Blairites before Blair and the BC, Ontario and Quebec Liberals aren't much different than Conservatives on 90% of the issues, and in some cases might even be worse. Is it really so surprising that people end up fixating on the tribal markers that distinguish them and their friends from the scary out-group?

"Progressives" don't really make decisions in any meaningful sense because, thanks to <reasons> the Canadian political spectrum is about as narrow as it's ever been. In a world where politics becomes Coke vs. Pepsi it's inevitable that diehard political junkies will try to find other ways to distinguish themselves from the supporters of the other parties.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Heavy neutrino posted:

Sure but the Quebec Liberals are actually conservative. It's not for fun and jokes that Charest's name was even floated as a potential CPC leader.

Also I'm pretty sure I've said I hate the Quebec Liberals too often to count in this thread.

But they actually were the most progressive major party in the last election because the other major party in your racist rear end province was trying to ban muslims right?

MohawkSatan posted:

So unrelated to our government doing their normal thing and being fuckups, and the Cons being racist as poo poo, Canada's other racist as poo poo organization just decided to do their thing. So here's a crosspost from TFR:

Basically, the RCMP is deciding that they write the laws again. Because, y'know, that could never turn out badly.

It was in the Liberal platform that RCMP would get that power again so ... another promise kept. Think about what could happen if a refugee got their hands on one of those magazines, thanks RCMP.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Heavy neutrino posted:

Perhaps a new immigrant should be able to expertly weave tabarnak into sentences by the second month?

By that metric, very few people west of Ottawa are properly integrated

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I guess it could be said that the CPC is "more progressive" than Christian Heritage, but that doesn't make them progressives.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 26, 2018

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Its that time posted:

The Quebec's Liberal party of today is an union of pretty much every hardcore canadian federalists. So you have both conservative and liberal elements in the same party.

It's frustrating. My former Liberal NMA was a textbook progressive who recently resigned after the death of her husband.The newly elected Liberal NMA was, until very recently, a CAQ member.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ikantski posted:

You know what grinds my gears? When people don't like the Liberals so they say that they're actually conservatives instead of just saying that they don't like that Liberal party. Happens for BC all the time, I bet THC is typing it right now.

It is pretty true in BC's case. I am sure there are liberals in the party, but it is a conservative party ever since the former provincial Socred party hijacked it.

Last election they had federal conservatives campaigning for them.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

crowoutofcontext posted:

It's frustrating. My former Liberal NMA was a textbook progressive who recently resigned after the death of her husband.The newly elected Liberal NMA was, until very recently, a CAQ member.

At this point, the CAQ is basically the PLQ's farm team

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The differences between the Conservatives, Liberals and NDP don't amount to much in practice. Western NDP governments were basically Blairites before Blair and the BC, Ontario and Quebec Liberals aren't much different than Conservatives on 90% of the issues, and in some cases might even be worse. Is it really so surprising that people end up fixating on the tribal markers that distinguish them and their friends from the scary out-group?

"Progressives" don't really make decisions in any meaningful sense because, thanks to <reasons> the Canadian political spectrum is about as narrow as it's ever been. In a world where politics becomes Coke vs. Pepsi it's inevitable that diehard political junkies will try to find other ways to distinguish themselves from the supporters of the other parties.

Oh come on man, civil servants are dancing in the halls, we're fighting climate change, we're bringing peace to the middle east, legalizing weed and annoying legal gun owners. It's night and day and parliament hasn't even started yet. Look at this group of cabinet ministers and their values compared to the last group, I'd say there are major differences and that should lead to major differences in their decisions.

Perhaps I should have said that conservative parties have virtually no power instead of progressives have all the power, that'd be less likely to offend you guys as progressives and still be accurate.

"Progressives" do make decisions. Progressive voters, people in this very thread who would describe themselves as progressive, made the decision to vote in the most progressive budget and party Ontario has ever seen in 2014 and that decision led to the progressive decision to sell off our public utility so that we could progress on building some light rail lines. That was a decision made by progressives that conservatives got absolutely no say in.

ocrumsprug posted:

It is pretty true in BC's case. I am sure there are liberals in the party, but it is a conservative party ever since the former provincial Socred party hijacked it.

Last election they had federal conservatives campaigning for them.

Yeah but isn't there also a bunch of these?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/laurakatherinemiller

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MohawkSatan posted:

Just prohibit magazines entirely. Single round bolt action only. Problem solved.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

cowofwar posted:

Just prohibit magazines entirely. Single round bolt action only. Problem solved.

Even if you're anti-gun as all hell, you gotta admit that letting the RCMP start to make up laws, and invent poo poo nor actually present in Canadian law is a bad idea.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1979/08/26/page/2/article/fake-viet-boat-people-map-u-s-spy-network/index.html

ISIS is going to flood Canada with stealth refugee terrorists and also those sneaky Vietnamese Communist infiltrators are going to activate aaaaaaany day now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
You know what would make it easy to tell if a group is Liberals or not? If they had a set of values. Conservatives are pretty easy to tell, NDP are consistent as well and greens are obvious, it's really just Liberals we always get perplexed with.

Justin Trudeau removed partisanship from the Senate by not allowing Liberal senators to call themselves Liberal. I feel comfortable agreeing with JT that calling one's self Liberal is the primary characteristic that makes you a Liberal due to their constantly shifting set of values.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Ikantski posted:

It's a little tongue in cheek because the Liberals constantly platform on being the most progressive.

Wynne

Trudeau

The BC liberal party is essentially the conservative party. They've even considered changing their name in recent history because many in the ranks feel 'Liberal' doesn't correctly define them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-liberals-reject-motion-to-change-party-name/article18834999/

The party launched a review at the request of Premier Christy Clark, reflecting unease with the "Liberal" tag in a coalition party that is home to a large segment of federal Conservatives.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MohawkSatan posted:

Even if you're anti-gun as all hell, you gotta admit that letting the RCMP start to make up laws, and invent poo poo nor actually present in Canadian law is a bad idea.
Yeah the RCMP is poo poo but all police forces pick and choose what and how to enforce whichever legislation they interpret in whatever manner.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

M.McFly posted:

The BC liberal party is essentially the conservative party. They've even considered changing their name in recent history because many in the ranks feel 'Liberal' doesn't correctly define them.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-liberals-reject-motion-to-change-party-name/article18834999/

The party launched a review at the request of Premier Christy Clark, reflecting unease with the "Liberal" tag in a coalition party that is home to a large segment of federal Conservatives.

I don't think that makes them the conservative party although they do have a conservative segment to stay in power. Counterpoints though, a) they voted it down overwhelmingly and b) "It's a good brand," said Rich Coleman, a senior cabinet minister who represents the party's Conservative wing. "We can win in 2017 with the B.C. Liberal label." is the most Liberal thing I've ever read in my life.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So Bell Media has gone through their staff with a hatchit today.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah the BCLP are not liberals, they love privatization as much as the other liberals but they are way more similar to the federal conservatives.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Ikantski posted:

I don't think that makes them the conservative party although they do have a conservative segment to stay in power. Counterpoints though, a) they voted it down overwhelmingly and b) "It's a good brand," said Rich Coleman, a senior cabinet minister who represents the party's Conservative wing. "We can win in 2017 with the B.C. Liberal label." is the most Liberal thing I've ever read in my life.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here - they're a center right party that brands themselves 'Liberal'. There's nothing new about that. They're certainly not an example of 'progressives' that you were referring to in your previous comment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Columbia_Liberal_Party

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sbaldrick posted:

So Bell Media has gone through their staff with a hatchit today.

Good, they obviously hate their staff as much as us poor bastards who have ever had to deal with their staff.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008
Turns out the Paris attackers may have intended to incite alienation of refugees among western nations. Who knew. Sure glad we didn't fall for that ruse here in Canada. *cough*

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/police-believe-attackers-used-forged-passports-to-stigmatize-refugees-1.2662167

quote:

There is evidence the Syrian passport found near the body of one of the Paris attackers is a fake.
Following Friday's deadly assault which left 129 people dead, French authorities found a Syrian passport near the body of one of the perpetrators.
That passport, with the name Ahmad Al Mohammad, was found beside the body of a man who blew himself up outside the stadium where a soccer match was taking place between France and Germany.

In the days since the attack multiple copies of that passport have turned up.

A reporter with England's MailOnline bought a forged Syrian passport with that same name.
Serbian police have also arrested a person carrying the passport in the name of Ahmad Al Mohammad, with all the same identifying details such as age, height, and place of birth.

Authorities believe the passports are all fake, and were forged either in Syria or Turkey. Officials with the European Union agency Frontex, which is responsible for border controls, say the number of people trafficking in fake Syrian passports is rising.

Meanwhile two other bombing suspects have been identified as carrying false Turkish passports.

Islamic State has frequently said one of its goals is to stop refugees from fleeing Syria by any means possible, and tells refugees they are committing "a major dangerous sin" by attempting to flee the war and entering countries where they will be assimilated or integrated into "Christianity, atheism or liberalism."
The group has used photos and video of children who have drowned in its propaganda, telling refugees they are throwing away their "lives and souls" by going to Europe.
Four of the five attackers so far identified were French citizens.

An international manhunt is underway for 26-year-old Salah Abdeslam, who was born and raised in Belgium. Police believe he took part in the attacks with his two brothers -- one of whom is dead, and the other was arrested.

French police are hunting for a second fugitive they say is directly involved in the deadly Paris attacks.
Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who was raised in Brussels, is believed to be the mastermind of the assault.

M.McFly fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 18, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

M.McFly posted:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here - they're a center right party that brands themselves 'Liberal'. There's nothing new about that. They're certainly not an example of 'progressives' that you were referring to in your previous comment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Columbia_Liberal_Party

Are you arguing that Liberal means left wing? I mean, everyone here seems to be saying that Ontario and Quebec are also center right so they're not real Liberal parties either? I don't get that logic, is there an ephemeral set of Liberal values that they keep secret and nobody is telling me? They are all Liberal parties precisely because they brand themselves as Liberal parties. Liberal doesn't have much meaning to me beyond that.

I'm arguing that Liberal means taking the position that will get you into power while saying you're the most progressive. In BC, that meant a coalition with conservatives. Better than not being in power at all right? That's Liberal. The conservatives in BC have some power but really only as much as the Liberals give them.

Clark posted:

“Our provincial housing strategy is the most progressive in this country’s history,” said Premier Clark.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

M.McFly posted:

Turns out the Paris attackers may have intended to incite alienation of refugees among western nations. Who knew. Sure glad we didn't fall for that ruse here in Canada. *cough*

You'd have to be a literal retard to think it was completely legit. Why the gently caress would a suicide bomber bring their passport with them to their suicide mission unless it was to make some kind of a point? "I'm gonna blow my rear end up for Allah. Wait, better take this in case anyone asks about my citizenship..."

EDIT: Ikantski's constant bitching about the Liberals, amazingly, is even more boring than endless beer-chat. What happened to the CI ignore-script? I want to modify it so that every Ikantski post is replaced with "LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS!" or something.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Ikantski posted:

Are you arguing that Liberal means left wing? I mean, everyone here seems to be saying that Ontario and Quebec are also center right so they're not real Liberal parties either? I don't get that logic, is there an ephemeral set of Liberal values that they keep secret and nobody is telling me? They are all Liberal parties precisely because they brand themselves as Liberal parties. Liberal doesn't have much meaning to me beyond that.

I'm arguing that Liberal means taking the position that will get you into power while saying you're the most progressive. In BC, that meant a coalition with conservatives. Better than not being in power at all right? That's Liberal. The conservatives in BC have some power but really only as much as the Liberals give them.

You held up the BC Liberals as an example of progressives in power:

quote:

We have a federal Liberal majority. BC, Ontario, Quebec, NS, NB and PEI all Liberal majorities. NDP majorities in Alberta and Manitoba. You've done it, progressives make every major decision in the country now no matter how much conservatives bellyache on facebook.

They're not.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

My main gripe was with this:

Ikantski posted:

Sure, I have no problem with the idea that the Liberal brand is without meaning, but "progressive" isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

You'd have to be a literal retard to think it was completely legit. Why the gently caress would a suicide bomber bring their passport with them to their suicide mission unless it was to make some kind of a point? "I'm gonna blow my rear end up for Allah. Wait, better take this in case anyone asks about my citizenship..."

EDIT: Ikantski's constant bitching about the Liberals, amazingly, is even more boring than endless beer-chat. What happened to the CI ignore-script? I want to modify it so that every Ikantski post is replaced with "LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS!" or something.

If you're going to write that script, at least go the whole hog and replace his posts with this: