Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MrMoo posted:

No shock sensors on the box? I've never seen racks moved without them:

The shadier carriers will just rip off the sensors that trip and hope you don't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
*builds really pricey poo poo*
*uses cheapest carrier possible*
*doesn't understand why schedules get behind due to replacements*

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

go3 posted:

*builds really pricey poo poo*
*uses cheapest carrier possible*
*doesn't understand why schedules get behind due to replacements*

Don't you dare call my servers pricey.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H110Hawk posted:

None of it is anyone's personal liability. The shippers insurance is going to cover it, and our integrator will start manufacturing a replacement immediately. We will even get to jump the line in all likelihood. This is 100% pure comedy.
When this happened to me it was really loving annoying because they took six weeks to build and deliver us a new rack and when they had everything all together it still didn't work for another month

Why IBM doesn't just avoid the trouble by not using dog-poo poo discount shippers is beyond me because I guarantee their actuaries are mis-estimating the financial cost of their awful reputation

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I read in the OP that this is a good place for general chit chat IT related. Today one of our racks came in from the integrator, yay!

This doesn't look promising:

The other side looks less so:

Finding out what's inside is easy when the non-removable lid is opened for you:

:stare:

That's definitely happened to us at least once.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

luminalflux posted:

That's definitely happened to us at least once.

I'm honestly surprised that our rate is as low as it is currently. We've had some very old racks on their 2nd air freight with a lovely packing material supplier basically crush down under their own weight due to cut corners, but actual forklift + rack + 6' is pretty rare.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Reiz posted:

We're actually going through a similar thing at my employer (HIPAA and SOC2 type 2) and it hasn't been that bad so far. Are the bad parts coming later? What specifically do you take issue with?
I can't speak to hipaa, but with pci it's really not that bad. If you get a lovely examiner it can be a bit aggravating but in 7 years there is nothing that has ever come up that we weren't at least considering doing on our own anyway. The worst part about "the cloud" is that you can't prove things yourself, and aren't always as confident in your answers, but you should have an ssae16 or soc2 or whatever it is this year for any of your vendors already.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Well apparently our operations team is into making decisions for themselves. Their latest unilateral decision is that instead of researching alerts and, you know, managing the environment... they now just forward alerts over to IT. And I mean without any comment whatsoever. Only two people are doing it so far, but believe me when I say we got forwarded probably 30 emails from these two with absolutely no additional comments today.

Aren't you operations? Shouldn't YOU be looking into this? Let's put it this way - if it turns out one of these is a major production issue, which one of us will still work here after it is missed? I'll give you a hint - it'll be me. Do your job.

e: To be clear, the kind of 'alerts' they're sending over. These are all from our dashboard, so you can email directly out of it. So I mean they're literally forwarding emails that are like, hmm CPU on that SQL box is a little high. Memory on that web server feels high. Paging's high over here, ooh and over here too. No context, and certainly no one has told them what constitutes high, they've just decided on numbers that concern them and forward alerts. My response to every alert they've forwarded so far has been "cool, I hope you fix that".

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 18, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You are doing God's work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Contingency posted:

The shadier carriers will just rip off the sensors that trip and hope you don't notice.
When we shipped a couple of prebuilt racks to a remote office at a previous gig we put shock loggers inside the crate.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We put some tilt indicators and shock sensors on the Gator we use to haul equipment across campus. All the sensors did was encourage experimentation and were tripped within a week!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Anyone here have any experience with mobile device management?

We're looking at MaaS 360 and AirWatch. Do any of you have any opinions or suggestions?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We're looking at MaaS 360 and AirWatch. Do any of you have any opinions or suggestions?

What devices are you going to be managing? What is your MDM strategy (COPE, BYOD, etc)? What are your security requirements (vaguely)? On-premise or cloud?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We use MaaS 360 and it works pretty well for BYOD. The setup can be painful, though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

What devices are you going to be managing? What is your MDM strategy (COPE, BYOD, etc)? What are your security requirements (vaguely)? On-premise or cloud?

Windows Phones and tablets running windows 10 (eventually), all owned and deployed by us.

We need to be able to remote wipe and or lock the device.
Control app installation
require passcode
require data encryption

Cloud preferred.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you use O365, Intune should do all that for you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Windows Phones and tablets running windows 10 (eventually), all owned and deployed by us.

We need to be able to remote wipe and or lock the device.
Control app installation
require passcode
require data encryption

Cloud preferred.

Intune sounds like it might work way better for you than those other ones.

e:fb nice

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We had looked at Intune, but boss man put the kabash on that for some reason or another.
I was just looking for others' anecdotal experiences with MDM platforms, really.

Edit: I remember now.
We did 2 demos with microsoft and both failed horribly. They couldn't even get windows phones working properly with it in their own demo. It was cringeworthy.

Also we're a fairly small org, I don't expect much more than a couple hundred mobile devices.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 18, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use BES10, currently moving to BES12, and contrary to what the average sysadmin thinks, for a high security and tightly controlled environment it actually works extremely well. It's overkill for you though.

I've heard very good things about AirWatch, and seen a fully functional demo from them before.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're huge users of Microsoft Cloud, I feel you on that. So many good ideas but when it comes to implementation there's a lot of gotcha's and not ready for primetime issues that pop up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to push ublock and adblock plus to Chrome and IE on all of our computers. It's probably going to get shot down, but at least I can mention it for AD experience. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to make sure that pushing the extension to all computers won't mess up the ones that already have it. It won't, will it?

E: you know, I probably should have just googled that.

Is there a way to see if an add-on/extension is already installed? Does it have a registry entry?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 18, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Virigoth posted:

Govt environments are the worst + you are using about a decade old hardware unless you got into a real sweet gig. It's ALMOST as painful as being HIPAA compliant in a cloud infrastructure (kill me plz).

That's why you take the clearance and your experience and GTFO to a consulting firm where you only have to deal with this stuff part of the time while getting paid about 40% more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AirWatch is loving horrible

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want to push ublock and adblock plus to Chrome and IE on all of our computers. It's probably going to get shot down, but at least I can mention it for AD experience. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to make sure that pushing the extension to all computers won't mess up the ones that already have it. It won't, will it?

E: you know, I probably should have just googled that.

Is there a way to see if an add-on/extension is already installed? Does it have a registry entry?

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/188453?hl=en

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've had three interviews in the past 6 weeks, and I swear do all of them pull that "oh ho ho I forgot your resume do you have a copy??" thing? I mean I get it, you wanna make sure I'm not a complete idiot but god drat man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've had three interviews in the past 6 weeks, and I swear do all of them pull that "oh ho ho I forgot your resume do you have a copy??" thing? I mean I get it, you wanna make sure I'm not a complete idiot but god drat man.

I actually straight up did forget to bring a copy for my interview at my current job. I guess it didn't weigh too heavily.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

AirWatch is loving horrible

Fair enough. Care to elaborate?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

they probably did just forget to print it out, i did this all the time

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Fair enough. Care to elaborate?

It might have been the VAR that we bought it through, but everything is a licensed feature, loads of stuff that would be "read the KB" with other vendors needs you to pay them to do it, there's a huge setup fee up-front. It just felt like the Oracle/SAP of MDM. And it seemed to lag behind the other stuff we were evaluating at getting on board when the mobile OSes changed - e.g. VPP/DEP in the iOS app store vs stuff like Casper and MaaS360.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 18, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Bring several copies of your Resume to the interview.

It might be era of tablets but this is interviewing 101.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tab8715 posted:

Bring several copies of your Resume to the interview.

It might be era of tablets but this is interviewing 101.

Today I was interviewed by three people at once (all sitting together taking turns throwing questions at me and stuff) so I brought like five copies of my resume. Had to give one out to one of them.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

honestly most of the time it's because I can't be bothered to print it out for the interview and just expect the interviewee to have copies for us

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Today I was interviewed by three people at once (all sitting together taking turns throwing questions at me and stuff) so I brought like five copies of my resume. Had to give one out to one of them.

"What are your strengths and weaknesses?"
"Tell me about a time you had a challenge at work and how you overcame it?"
"If you could choose any person from history (living or dead) to sit next to on a long plane flight who would it be?"

:shepicide:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Cmon guys; this poo poo is childs play.

In IT you biggest weakness should be "public speaking". Relatable, accurate, understandable, not an obvious "too perfect, tee hee" answer, and it wont affect 95%+ of IT jobs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm not saying the questions are hard. I'm saying they are stupid bullshit questions I've been answering since the 1980s and I'm sick of them.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

...is this what I have to look forward to for the next 30 years? :shepicide:

Yes... :smith:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 18, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Walked posted:

In IT you biggest weakness should be "public speaking". Relatable, accurate, understandable, not an obvious "too perfect, tee hee" answer, and it wont affect 95%+ of IT jobs.

I don't think anyone here is saying those questions are hard ones to answer, just that every first interview has the same poo poo over and over and over again and ughhh is this what I have to look forward to for the next 30 years? :shepicide:

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It might have been the VAR that we bought it through, but everything is a licensed feature, loads of stuff that would be "read the KB" with other vendors needs you to pay them to do it, there's a huge setup fee up-front. It just felt like the Oracle/SAP of MDM. And it seemed to lag behind the other stuff we were evaluating at getting on board when the mobile OSes changed - e.g. VPP/DEP in the iOS app store vs stuff like Casper and MaaS360.

Airwatch's pricing is loving stupid. The $50/device annually sounded fine, so I contacted sales, sat through their webinar, and when the quote came in for $10,000 for 50 devices, I was like what in the gently caress. The sales guy was like "oh yeah there's a $5,000 setup fee and $2,500 of something else" (I don't remember anymore and I honestly don't care). When I balked he requoted at like $45/device/year which brought it down $250. Guy, I don't think you get the issue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

honestly most of the time it's because I can't be bothered to print it out for the interview and just expect the interviewee to have copies for us

Didn't you just get into IT like a year ago? How are you already doing interviews.

drat this thread for constantly reminding me of how lazy/lovely I am.

Dick Trauma posted:

"Tell me about a time you had a challenge at work and how you overcame it?"
"If you could choose any person from history (living or dead) to sit next to on a long plane flight who would it be?"

:shepicide:

Fuuuuuck, that last one would be ruinous for me because I would spend the entire rest of the interview changing my answer as more people came to mind.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 18, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Didn't you just get into IT like a year ago? How are you already doing interviews.

drat this thread for constantly reminding me of how lazy/lovely I am.

Fuuuuuck, that last one would be ruinous for me because I would spend the entire rest of the interview changing my answer as more people came to mind.

The first time I heard that plane one was in a group interview at a call center in Denver in the mid nineties. Guy's hand shoots up: "I would choose Our Lord Jesus Christ."

Rolled my eyes so hard I think people could hear it in the next room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Walked posted:

gently caress you I rule at public speaking :smugdog: