Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stirring up controversy is pretty awesome free advertising, in this case it also promotes sales of their device over Apple and Google competitors until one of them steps up, which I doubt they will. Given the anemic performance of the Chromecast I doubt Google has much skin in the game, they just wanted to kick off the Google TV platform. For Google this is roughly equivalent to Amazon refusing to sell the latest Nexus phone. For Apple it makes a bigger dent in their sales, but not by a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

They can get an app on them any time they want, like virtually every other streaming provider in the world, they simply choose not to. In fact they still choose to play hardball. They're only on iOS (phone/tablet and decidedly *not* TV) because it jumpstarted everything years ago and it would cause an outcry to remove something that is already on the market, otherwise they'd probably be off it too.

Whatever Bezos is up to you can be sure it isn't the Netflix, etc. business model.

They seem to be willing to support devices that give them full autonomy (Roku/game consoles) unless the market share is so wildly against them (phones/tablet) that they have no other choice.

It's pretty simple to see what his game plan is. Use the Fire line as a wedge to get people attached to Amazon services while giving them enough leverage to not get boxed out by Google/Apple. Same idea as Google making Android open source when they were terrified of Apple dominating the phone market.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just came across this Harmony bluetooth profile for plex/kodi today.

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Hub-Based-Remotes/OpenELEC-full-bluetooth-support/m-p/1457311#M28039

Thought it might help some people.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

kri kri posted:

Just came across this Harmony bluetooth profile for plex/kodi today.

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Hub-Based-Remotes/OpenELEC-full-bluetooth-support/m-p/1457311#M28039

Thought it might help some people.

This is really directed at those viewing Kodi on a Raspberry Pi or other computer based systems right? We just picked up a Logitech hub remote and synced it up with our FireTV and it works great with no tweaks at all.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Falco posted:

This is really directed at those viewing Kodi on a Raspberry Pi or other computer based systems right? We just picked up a Logitech hub remote and synced it up with our FireTV and it works great with no tweaks at all.

Yes a PC, mac, rpi, etc.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-posting from the Windows 10 thread but has anyone serving up files from a Win10 shared folder had Kodi playback problems since the recent November Update?

We've had a lot of play stoppages on new files and some ripped videos that previously never had problems. Also seeking sucks now.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Milkman posted:

I think nowadays tweaking RetroArch would be much less painful than trying to shoehorn roms into Kodi directly

I was actually going to try and set up SteamOS running Kodi + RetroArch + Dolphin this weekend

Did anyone try this? I mean, it sounds like a good idea, but so do a lot of things that turn out impractical. Would love to not be a guinea pig if possible.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Not sure why you'd want to set up on top of SteamOS rather than a regular distro, but besides that it sounds like a good idea.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Keito posted:

Not sure why you'd want to set up on top of SteamOS rather than a regular distro, but besides that it sounds like a good idea.

I think SteamOS is set up better when it comes to latency and performance compared to desktop-oriented distros but that's a half memory and I have no way of backing it up.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Hed posted:

Cross-posting from the Windows 10 thread but has anyone serving up files from a Win10 shared folder had Kodi playback problems since the recent November Update?

We've had a lot of play stoppages on new files and some ripped videos that previously never had problems. Also seeking sucks now.

I can't even login to my SMB share at all anymore because it won't accept any UN/PW combination. I can login to my other Win10 PC that hasn't got the November update yet.

What a loving piece of poo poo.

EDIT: Worked it out. You have to login with <computer name>\<username> where <username> is whatever is under C:\Users\<username>, and your MS account password.

Not your Microsoft account username. Not Administrator. Not whatever you may have been using before. FFS.

bigis fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 16, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did anyone try this? I mean, it sounds like a good idea, but so do a lot of things that turn out impractical. Would love to not be a guinea pig if possible.

There was a big steamOS update a month or two ago which broke the build process for Kodi and other things. There's a guy who has a recipe to compile it locally but for now I just installed Ubuntu with the regular Steam client. That's probably the way to go right now if you're not keen on mucking around. Ubuntu is close to Just Works territory and you can set it to boot straight to big picture.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

bigis posted:

I can't even login to my SMB share at all anymore because it won't accept any UN/PW combination. I can login to my other Win10 PC that hasn't got the November update yet.

What a loving piece of poo poo.

EDIT: Worked it out. You have to login with <computer name>\<username> where <username> is whatever is under C:\Users\<username>, and your MS account password.

Not your Microsoft account username. Not Administrator. Not whatever you may have been using before. FFS.

I noticed this too and couldn't figure out what the hell happened. I had a FireTV that has been connected and logging in no problem for months and then added a firetv stick in another room and it wouldn't connect with the same credentials. I think it's a combination of Win10 and the version of Kodi you use. The FireTV is running 14.2 (since I haven't updated it yet) and the stick was running 15.2.

So in the username field I have to literally enter goons-pc\goon1 and my MS password? can't just use goon1?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Last night I set up Emby and got it working with Kodi (both on the same machine). So far so good. Our aging ATV2 in the bedroom is probably going to be replaced with a Nexus player, but now I'm kind of thinking of just using the Emby client for that so I don't have to futz around with Kodi. Has anyone used the Emby client on the Nexus Player?

It looks pretty easy to use which is important for the wife.

I don't mind fiddling with Kodi on the HTPC (I almost have it the way I want it, I just need to settle on a skin I like that works well with the Emby plugin).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Last night I set up Emby and got it working with Kodi (both on the same machine). So far so good. Our aging ATV2 in the bedroom is probably going to be replaced with a Nexus player, but now I'm kind of thinking of just using the Emby client for that so I don't have to futz around with Kodi. Has anyone used the Emby client on the Nexus Player?

It looks pretty easy to use which is important for the wife.

I don't mind fiddling with Kodi on the HTPC (I almost have it the way I want it, I just need to settle on a skin I like that works well with the Emby plugin).

I use it, and really like it. It direct streams virtually all of my media. Aside from the stupid brightness issues Google has in Android M, its been the perfect little box for me. My wife uses it all the time without issue.

I still occasionally use Kodi with the emby plugin but with the recent updates to the emby ATV app I haven't bothered with it much.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone been having a problem lately where the movie database plugin gives a "Cannot connect to server" error? I've got my Kodi (Win 7) to autoscrape when the application starts, but for the past month or so, I get the error and haven't been able to update my library. Plugins auto update, don't they? Do I have to do something to get this to work again?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone been having a problem lately where the movie database plugin gives a "Cannot connect to server" error? I've got my Kodi (Win 7) to autoscrape when the application starts, but for the past month or so, I get the error and haven't been able to update my library. Plugins auto update, don't they? Do I have to do something to get this to work again?

Is that what that error is from? I thought it was Emby being weird.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

So in the username field I have to literally enter goons-pc\goon1 and my MS password? can't just use goon1?

That's correct and the only thing that would work for me. On Win7 you didn't need a password for SMB sharing. It's getting worse with Win10, urgh.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is that what that error is from? I thought it was Emby being weird.

I don't have Emby (unless it's something that installs by default with Kodi.) My TV scraper seems to be working, so I'm pretty sure it's the movie scraper.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

kri kri posted:

I use it, and really like it. It direct streams virtually all of my media. Aside from the stupid brightness issues Google has in Android M, its been the perfect little box for me. My wife uses it all the time without issue.

I still occasionally use Kodi with the emby plugin but with the recent updates to the emby ATV app I haven't bothered with it much.

I ended up going with a Roku 3 and it works flawlessly and had Amazon as well. This owns. Emby works perfect.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So on the subject of emby, I recently switched from a shared SQL database to an emby set up for my multi kodi set up.

I really recommend it for any one with more than one kodi machine and to any one who wants to steam media to other machines (rokus, cell phones, other internet devices).

Since suggestions for any one who hasn't used it.

Step 1: install and set up emby. Get all your media imported and working before you do anything on kodi.

Step 2: get path substitution configured. Configure it how ever you need to so that the paths emby gives out match network accessible paths. ie: c:\media\tv = //share/TV or how ever your paths are set out.

Step 3: install the emby plugin in kodi and tell it that you want to use local paths instead of the plugin paths.

If you do all of these correctly, your media will not be transcoded and it will still start very quickly. And all your kodi machines will be in sync.

Sonarr (alternative to sick beard) and couchpotato also support notifying emby for updates.

I also red l recommend getting the incremental server update plug in and configuring it in kodi as well.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So is the raspberry pi 2 a viable Kodi machine? I remember the original having issues with 1080p content. Does it do h/x264 acceleration at all?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Yep, it works fine. Only thing that's not hw accelerated is more modern stuff like HEVC.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sagacity posted:

Yep, it works fine. Only thing that's not hw accelerated is more modern stuff like HEVC.

Cool deal, so DTS and all that too? I put one on a secret santa wishlist somewhere because they are kinda inexpensive and turning it into an HTPC/Emulation station woudl be cool

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Cool deal, so DTS and all that too? I put one on a secret santa wishlist somewhere because they are kinda inexpensive and turning it into an HTPC/Emulation station woudl be cool

You can try this option too https://www.hifiberry.com/hbdigi/

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

So on the subject of emby, I recently switched from a shared SQL database to an emby set up for my multi kodi set up.

I really recommend it for any one with more than one kodi machine and to any one who wants to steam media to other machines (rokus, cell phones, other internet devices).

Since suggestions for any one who hasn't used it.

Step 1: install and set up emby. Get all your media imported and working before you do anything on kodi.

Step 2: get path substitution configured. Configure it how ever you need to so that the paths emby gives out match network accessible paths. ie: c:\media\tv = //share/TV or how ever your paths are set out.

Step 3: install the emby plugin in kodi and tell it that you want to use local paths instead of the plugin paths.

If you do all of these correctly, your media will not be transcoded and it will still start very quickly. And all your kodi machines will be in sync.

Sonarr (alternative to sick beard) and couchpotato also support notifying emby for updates.

I also red l recommend getting the incremental server update plug in and configuring it in kodi as well.

After over 5 years on a shared Mysql database I took the plunge on switching to Emby, almost entirely because of this post........and it works! yay.

Had to do a little bit of fiddling to keep my watched statuses intact, but it was all really quite painless and I've noticed no slow downs thus far.

The Emby Android app has crashed on me a few times when fiddling through the menus, but it's played video fine on my first couple of attempts.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Re emby, there are also addons for emby server, I'm using Auto Box Sets. Emby doesn't do collections, this fixes that. It even uses the proper boxart and sorts them properly which Kodi never did. It didn't seem to work at first but with a large collection it will take a while to get through it all. It worked itself out after a day or two and a couple library updates.

Also has a trakt addon which works great, the one for Kodi is annoying, it either constantly pops up notifications I don't want to see, or crashes, won"t connect, or just doesn't work.

I wish Kodi had a suggested section like Emby does. IE you watched Spaced Invaders (just had a HD release FYI), here's some other older sci fi movies you might be interested in.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I loved emby but had to go back to normal vanilla kodi scraping. It wouldn't pick up random shows, such as Metalocalypse. And then some of my Metal documentary shows would have fanart from Friends.

WTF thats the biggest troll ever.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just changed the scraper priority in the Services settings, the default was something retarded. Love Emby, the addon for Kodi works well and I just install the Emby app the app for friends/family on their Roku so I don't have to do any support.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is there any advantage to Emby + Kodi other than a centralized db if you don't care about streaming outside of LAN? I already use MySQL...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

jonathan posted:

I loved emby but had to go back to normal vanilla kodi scraping. It wouldn't pick up random shows, such as Metalocalypse. And then some of my Metal documentary shows would have fanart from Friends.

WTF thats the biggest troll ever.

When I redid my library, both Kodi and Plex would scrape The Simpsons as Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Uthor posted:

When I redid my library, both Kodi and Plex would scrape The Simpsons as Jessica Simpson's The Price of Beauty.

Mine has been scraping Return of the King as "Buttsizers 3, Return of the King of Rears" and my wife won't let me change it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Is there any advantage to Emby + Kodi other than a centralized db if you don't care about streaming outside of LAN? I already use MySQL...

Easier metadata management?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I bought an Alienware Alpha during a price mistake on Amazon and imagine my surprise when I found out that 'console mode' is just a heavily skinned version of Kodi 14.2

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Since you already use MySQL, not really no. I do love its admin and metadata stuff for what its worth, very robust tools and configuration in general.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

It's a lot easier to added new Kodi clients, since you won't have to edit advancesettings.xml to use it. You just add the repo, install the plug in, and let it connect to the emby server.

I think you can run different version of Kodi at the same time while still sharing your BD. Not sure of many situations where that would be helpful.

Because the DB is replicated locally to each Kodi instance, it feels faster and more responsive than shared SQL DB (but not drastically). Seems like it a bigger difference on my wifi connected Kindle Fire Stick than it did on my Gig ethernet connected Nvidia Shield.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I bought an Alienware Alpha during a price mistake on Amazon and imagine my surprise when I found out that 'console mode' is just a heavily skinned version of Kodi 14.2

Whaaaat? Seriously? A buddy of mine has one, and I haven't taken the time to really dig into it.

Edit: Oh, the NEW UI that they released this year. Got it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

G-Prime posted:

Whaaaat? Seriously? A buddy of mine has one, and I haven't taken the time to really dig into it.

Edit: Oh, the NEW UI that they released this year. Got it.

I didn't know it was new. I was just pretty surprised to see a major manufacturer co-opt Kodi like that with no mention of the source.

(not my screenshot)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Call Me Charlie posted:

I didn't know it was new. I was just pretty surprised to see a major manufacturer co-opt Kodi like that with no mention of the source.

(not my screenshot)

They didn't co-opt it, in fact they were in discussions with the Kodi team for months prior to release.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=230457&highlight=hivemind

Why it isn't more heavily publicized I couldn't say but it's on the up and up.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Ixian posted:

They didn't co-opt it, in fact they were in discussions with the Kodi team for months prior to release.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=230457&highlight=hivemind

Why it isn't more heavily publicized I couldn't say but it's on the up and up.

If you read that thread you'd see the PR guys (fluff piece blog posters) saying they've been in talks with Dell for months about this, then towards the end some actual coders come in stating surprise and questioning the legality and morality of this implementation.

Guess this is one of those wonderful perks we're finally getting from the name change to Kodi. Also good to see there's a disconnect between management/PR and the developer team, they're starting to look real professional at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh that explains the sudden name change after years of having that trademark liability hanging over their heads for a decade and nobody giving a poo poo. Everyone knew the name might someday be a liability, but until someone with deep pockets comes walking around, there's nothing financial to lose. The Dell deal makes a bunch of sense at this point. I wonder if this deal will cause yet another Plex style schism.