Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jealous Cow posted:

People conflate understanding with empathy.

You literally did that. You said what Kerry said, "sounds like victim blaming"

E: New Page Content:
Living in Iowa I took the opportunity today to e-mail Governor Branstad and tell him how much of a coward he was being. Also that he didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Will it change anything? No. Felt good though.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Action: CH attack

Justification given by attackers: Mohamed cartoon/ blasphemy

Action: Paris attacks

Justification given by attackers: The west is bad???

One is much less nebulous and more easily explained.

Jealous Cow posted:

People conflate understanding with empathy.

Willfully it seems in this case.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 18, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, I guess just keep avoiding learning anything about ISIS and their objectives. After all it's more fun fighting an enemy you know nothing about, right?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

bird cooch posted:

Uh actually it was the west's bombing campaign against ISIS and any one with half a loving brain can discern that obvious point.

unless you think that ISIS is claiming the attacks without actually being a part of them which lol

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Both can be 'expected'. Charlie Hebdo could be anticipated as a very specific 'gently caress you!' - this more recent attack was a more general 'gently caress you' incitement

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jealous Cow posted:

Ok, I guess just keep avoiding learning anything about ISIS and their objectives. After all it's more fun fighting an enemy you know nothing about, right?

Please teach us from your deep well of wisdom and understanding, master

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Please don't let this thread deteriorate into a combination of the worst of the Charlie Hebdo and Paris 11/13 threads. :(

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

Please teach us from your deep well of wisdom and understanding, master

Here are some good places to start if you're interested in learning more.

https://theintercept.com/2015/11/17/islamic-states-goal-eliminating-the-grayzone-of-coexistence-between-muslims-and-the-west/

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/11/fareed-zakaria-goal-isis-terrorism-world

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

Edit:

ISIS faked a Syrian passport. They want us to label Muslims as indiscriminate killing machines, stoke our xenophobia, and increase the tensions between Christians and Muslims.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/paris-attacks-live-updates/syrian-passport-reportedly-was-stolen-or-fake/

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 18, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
USPOL Nov: The Second Time Jindal Quit A Race

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I miss saying :fork: from the CE days. We should say :fork: he's done more often

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

President Barack Obama is taking an even harsher tone against governors and lawmakers who want to stop the U.S. resettlement of Syrian refugees, blasting them for being "scared of widows and orphans" while playing into the hands of the Islamic State terrorist group.

"We are not well served when, in response to a terrorist attack, we descend into fear and panic. We don't make good decisions if its based on hysteria or an exaggeration of risks," Obama said while visiting the Philippines for the APEC economic summit. "I cannot think of a more potent recruitment tool for ISIL than some of the rhetoric that's been coming out of here during the course of this debate."

In the wake of the deadly attacks in Paris, more than half of U.S. governors, most of them Republican, have said they don't want refugees resettled in their states. House Republican leaders also are looking at legislation designed to stop the Obama administration from resettling up to 10,000 Syrian refugees next year. Several GOP presidential contenders have also slammed the idea of letting Syrians in, while some have suggested only letting in those who are Christian.

Obama earlier this week has expressed anger over the idea of discriminating based on religion, and reiterated that sentiment in his latest comments in Manila.

"When individuals say we should have a religious test and that only Christians, proven Christians should be admitted, that's offensive," he said.

The president also noted that many of the same people who have suggested stopping refugees from coming to the United States also claim they themselves are tough enough to stare down Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"At first they were too scared of the press being too tough on them in the debates," Obama said. "Now they are scared of three-year-old orphans. That doesn't seem so tough to me."

The president's comments appear to be a reference to remarks by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt on Monday: “I don’t think orphans under 5 are being, you know, should be admitted into the United States at this point. But you know, they have no family here. How are we going to care for these folks?”

(link)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mandy Thompson posted:

I miss saying :fork: from the CE days. We should say :fork: he's done more often

He's said he's going to spend his time building his think tank instead, so poor ol' Bobby Jindal is just going to have to find a way to live for the rest of his life off millions of dollars in funding from the carbon extraction industry.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

my thread title was better

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hot drat Obama's been pissed off lately. Good.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
"At first they were too scared of the press being too tough on them in the debates," Obama said. "Now they are scared of three-year-old orphans. That doesn't seem so tough to me."

Campaign Obama is best Obama.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

my thread title was better

I guess it just wasn't your night, Terry.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Campaign Obama is best Obama.

Repeal the 22nd!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The NRSC has a man dressed up as a tree following Russ Feingold around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm pro-accepting more refugees but outside of putting your city forward as a haven a state doesn't have much control over where the Federal government sends groups.

Obviously they're not doing something since Boise, Idaho, a city that's not only less than a quarter the size of Portland but is also in a more lily-white state, accepted more Syrian Refugees than Portland, via http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/21/us/where-syrian-refugees-are-in-the-united-states.html

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Obviously they're not doing something since Boise, Idaho, a city that's not only less than a quarter the size of Portland but is also in a more lily-white state, accepted more Syrian Refugees than Portland, via http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/21/us/where-syrian-refugees-are-in-the-united-states.html

Poor refugees have to put up with Butch Otter.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Poor refugees have to put up with Butch Otter.

I mean, you could have elected the racist biker guy. You had options, dammit!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

This was a well-written rebuttal to the notion that we should take Daesh's tenuous theological justifications seriously.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you *keep* it a *secret*! Why didn't you tell the world, EH?

As you know, the Premier loves surprises.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

???

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wales Grey posted:

This was a well-written rebuttal to the notion that we should take Daesh's tenuous theological justifications seriously.

Thanks, I read the first few paragraphs and will finish it later.

I'm not sure I'd consider their states goal of dividing Muslims from the rest of society as being a theological justification. They may be coming up with a theological justification for that objective, but it's hard to argue that they've stated and taken steps in support of that objective.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bird cooch posted:

Willfully it seems in this case.
Building off of this: there are two primary types of military goals: tactical and strategic. Tactical goals pertain to the short-term, the battle currently at hand. Tactical victories are typically simple ones: we killed more of them than they killed us, and drove them from the field. But there are also strategic goals and victories, goals that fulfill long-term goals.

It's simplistic to narrow the actions of a terrorist group into these categories, but it's something that old-school analysts might find themselves doing. Charlie Hebdo was, in theory, a tactical victory for ISIS: some people of importance who profaned the Prophet was killed. But the Paris attacks seem at first glance like they might have been just a tactical victory: many people were killed, but no long-term goals were achieved.

This is likely what Kerry meant when he was making this statement. Unfortunately, he was wrong. As I said, ISIS is a guerilla-warfare-centric terrorist organization, and their perspective of what counts as a victory is different from a standard military organization. The Paris attacks fulfilled a stated goal of theirs: to make the climate more toxic for Muslims in general and migrants in particular.

Either way, what Kerry said sounded really bad. And that's what really matters, as even if he thought it was a factual statement it sounds like he's blaming the victim. He shouldn't have said it, but what's done is done.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The tree is the mascot of Stanford, where Feingold is currently teaching a course. The NRSC, noting how well this worked against Senator Professor Warren, believes that this is an effective attack.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Good.

Not letting in refugees is literally the most un-american and un-christian thing they can do, and they should be called out on it at every loving turn.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I mean, you could have elected the racist biker guy. You had options, dammit!

Na Otter had Simplot in his corner.

They supply McDs with fries.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So as the Indiana Senate Republican caucus was unveiling its anti discrimination bill today (which has been met with howls of rage from their case), State Representative Bruce Borders (R-Jacksonville) was passing out copies of a book titled "Outlasting the Gay Revolution"

Let's have an Amazon link

quote:

Outlasting the Gay Revolution: Where Homosexual Activism Is Really Going and How to Turn the Tide

In his new book Outlasting the Gay Revolution, Dr. Brown demonstrates how to lovingly oppose the homosexual agenda with reason and timeless truth. He thoughtfully exposes the folly of extending special status and special rights to the LGBT movement at the expense of the rest of our legitimate constitutional rights to religious liberty and true justice for all. It is a must read for everyone who wants to stand on the right side of Eternity with respect to one of the most defining issues of our time.

( Patrick Mangan, Citizens for Community Values of Indiana)

The Apostle Paul said we are to speak the truth in love. When it comes to the divisive issue of the homosexual agenda, Dr. Michael Brown exemplifies Paul’s exhortation. He points out that we should deal with the individuals with compassion while opposing the agenda with courage. Outlasting the Gay Revolution candidly addresses this burning issue of our time and gives positive steps on how to deal with it. ( Jerry Newcombe, D.Min., cohost, senior producer, Kennedy Classics, author/co-author of 25 books)

What if much of the gay revolution has been built on misinformation and misperception? What if children, families and America are being harmed by the gay revolution? What if those unintended harms could be reversed with grace and truth? Dr. Michael Brown will stun you with insight in this revealing and inspiring book. He not only gives you a practical plan to make a difference for good, but reminds us that being on "the wrong side of history" is actually being on the right side of HIStory.

( Dr. Frank Turek, author of I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist and Correct, Not Politically Correct)

In this remarkable book, Dr. Michael Brown reports on the“culture wars” with lucid, graphic clarity. He rigorously documents the complex issues driving the conflict. And more importantly, he calls Christians to hope and perseverance, and persuasively argues against caving in to pessimism. As Dr. Brown reminds us, the tired and tiresome appeal to “the right side of history” proves nothing. Rather, the question to ask is whether one is on the right side of God’s truth. In sum, this is an invaluable resource to understand these critical issues, and shows how God intervenes, and prevails, in the affairs of men.

( Gary McCaleb
Chief Solicitor, Executive Vice President of Strategy Implementation, Alliance Defending Freedom)

Dr. Michael Brown’s upcoming book Outlasting The Gay Revolution: Where Homosexual Activism Is Really Going and How to Turn the Tide is a well-researched, much-needed, and timely book that exposes the real intentions of today’s homosexual movement―to take away the religious freedoms of Christians. . . . We must each step forward and never, never give up or bow to the homosexual agenda. Silence from Bible-believing Christians is what they want and that is something we must not be willing to give them. God expects more from us!

( Diane Gramley, president of the American Family Association of Pennsylvania)
Dr. Brown provides one of the most powerful, persuasive, and prophetic Christian voices worldwide. In Outlasting the Gay Revolution, Dr. Brown offers the perfect balance of Christ’s truth with His unending love. Dr. Brown fearlessly confronts, head on, the most pressing cultural issues of today with a fearless approach that leaves those in rebellion against God no wiggle room to rationalize. We are left understanding evil as evil and good as good.

( Matt Barber, assoc. dean and law professor, Liberty University School of Law)

With compassion and courage, Dr. Michael Brown’s words sound a warning bell to the intrusion of gay activism on our religious liberties and first amendment rights. As a former homosexual and licensed mental health practitioner, the wisdom of Brown's principles should be heeded by the church and treasured in the faith-based community. Truly, Brown is the culture warrior of our time when it comes to issues surrounding sexual orientation. ( Christopher Doyle, MA, LCPC
Licensed clinical professional counselor, former homosexual, and founder of Voice of the Voiceless)

In his new book Dr. Michael Brown has again demonstrated his unique understanding of the causes, both political and spiritual, for the social earthquake the United States is currently experiencing and offers an inspired vision for how Christians can move forward with determination and hope. Outlasting the Gay Revolution is required reading for anyone concerned about the effects of sexual anarchy on our rising generation and where we go next.

( David Clarke Pruden, MS, executive director, Alliance for Therapeutic Choice and Scientific Integrity)
Product Description
The Houston mayor tried to subpoena sermons against homosexuality. The Mozilla CEO was fired for supporting a bill to uphold traditional marriage. HGTV canceled a new home-improvement show because of the Bible-based views of the show’s stars. From redefining marriage to dominating the culture, it appears that there is no stopping the gay activist agenda, but Dr. Brown boldly proclaims that the gay revolution is already a failure, containing within itself the seeds of self-destruction.

In Outlasting the Gay Revolution, Dr. Brown clearly spells out eight principles to help Americans with conservative moral values outlast the gay revolution: never compromise your convictions, take the high moral ground, cherish sexual purity, defend natural marriage, celebrate gender distinctions, propagate the truth, turn to God, and refuse to throw in the towel.

Dr. Brown’s words will fill every reader with fresh hope and courage, and while it looks like American society will never be the same again, that is not the end of the story. Gay activists will continue to overplay their hand, and most Americans will reject the tactics of these new bullies as our freedoms of religion, speech, and conscience come under increasing attack.

A society based on sexual anarchy, the deconstruction of gender, and the redefinition of marriage cannot survive and thrive. Regardless of what the courts might say (including the Supreme Court), the cultural battle is far from over. The rising attack on our freedoms has only awakened a sleeping giant, in which case the battle has barely begun.

At this point I'm starting to think that following the news is bad for my wellbeing

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 18, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Get drunk fried chicken.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

"Outlasting the Gay Revolution"

Published by WorldNetDaily Books.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

So as the Indiana Senate Republican caucus was unveiling its anti discrimination bill today (which has been met with howls of rage from their case), State Representative Bruce Borders (R-Jacksonville) was passing out copies of a book titled "Outlasting the Gay Revolution"

At this point I'm starting to think that following the news is bad for my wellbeing

I had to shut it out for a while the last few days. I think that's the first time I've had to do that since Sandy Hook.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

The tree is the mascot of Stanford, where Feingold is currently teaching a course. The NRSC, noting how well this worked against Senator Professor Warren, believes that this is an effective attack.

Actually the mascot of Stanford is cardinal. No, not "a cardinal", like the bird, but the color.

The tree is actually the mascot of the Stanford band, chosen in part because the university administration overruled a 1975 vote by students to replace their former mascot, the Indian, with the Robber Baron when they selected cardinal. The Tree was the most popular joke mascot of several to perform with the band in 1975 when they attempted to mock the ongoing mascot debacle at the time, and it stuck.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fried Chicken posted:

All I can think about after hearing that book title is the phrase "grit your teeth and think of England."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sexual and Spiritual Anarchy are cool and good.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

okay so that's why he's dressed up as a tree, now what exactly is the goal of having tree man follow feingold around?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

okay so that's why he's dressed up as a tree, now what exactly is the goal of having tree man follow feingold around?

Because then people will remember that Russ Feingold is a college professor.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Because then people will remember that Russ Feingold is a college professor.

You know just having an intern drop a fake tree at where ever he's at would probably be cheaper and just as effective.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You know just having an intern drop a fake tree at where ever he's at would probably be cheaper and just as effective.

There might be larger problems with this strategy than its cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

There might be larger problems with this strategy than its cost.

Senators are sophomores with the power of the purse?

• Locked thread