Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

First thing that came to mind, couldn't help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Which actually occurred in new mexico while they were at Los Alamos if I am remembering correctly.

He would visit her in the hospital in between helping with building the bomb and playing jokes on the other physicists at Los Alamos.

On the way to the hospital for the final time he got three flat tires, and one on the way back. Los Alamos泡lbuquerque is a trip of about 100 miles, and I致e wondered if there was some factor explaining all those flats (substandard materials due to war rationing?) or it it was just coincidence.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Platystemon posted:

On the way to the hospital for the final time he got three flat tires, and one on the way back. Los Alamos–Albuquerque is a trip of about 100 miles, and I’ve wondered if there was some factor explaining all those flats (substandard materials due to war rationing?) or it it was just coincidence.

Running tires past their prime because rationing, extra weight from hitchhikers, extra heat from June in NM, extra heat and stress from going faster than usual, and bias ply tires being more susceptible to heat problems.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slung Blade posted:

One of the old guys who works the blacksmith shop with me in irricana on special events used to feed one of those when he was a kid. He's in his seventies now so I think it's been a thing earlier than the seventies.

Early torpedo boats, which were bleeding-edge tech back in the 1880s, usually wore out their hulls before their machinery. The hulls were scrapped and the engines and boilers ended up powering dockyard poo poo.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

HAHAHAHA! Oh my god yes. Kept picturing the waving clown statue and bikes and poo poo. Lol!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So we just killed a Bissell vacuum in my house because the HEPA filter was clogged, causing the motor to overspeed. I didn't notice the overspeed condition despite the fact the plug was hot and the engine was clearly racing.

Eventually it started making a horrible ragged sound, so I pulled it apart to find the belt was worn and looked like it had been sliding on its pulley. Assuming the ragged sound was some kind of motor internals failure, I swapped the belt for a fresh one, did it back up, and ran it. The horrible ragged sound continued, then suddenly stopped with a loud clunk. Now the carpet beater bar doesn't work.

Go back in there again, the beater bar is stuck at a weird angle, has melted its way through the plastic race that retains it to the vacuum, and then melted itself. Once all this was done, the now-seized cam was still trying to be driven by the belt by the overspeeding motor, and the belt was melted in two.

Bought a new vacuum since I don't think I can replace the plastic in the case. Sucks :(

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

No, it doesn't.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

VOR LOC posted:

No, it doesn't.
:golfclap:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
You want to know what blows?

Well, I mean, not anymore.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That oneo dem exhaust turbos? Makes the exhaust exit the car faster?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
So that's what muffler bearings look like.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SouthsideSaint posted:

So that's what muffler bearings look like.

I think that's exactly the title of the reddit post that came from.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Not from my shop but ive witnessed this amazing miracle before.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

Not from my shop but ive witnessed this amazing miracle before.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That's what that is!
Nice.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Same flashlight! Fuckers awesome.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

Same flashlight! Fuckers awesome.

You're telling me.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

hot gently caress... Heres some terrible stuff... Ive left mine resting on a control arm of an eldorado, backed out crushing, and then driving over it in front of my general manager who just got back from lunch and its all good. Ive managed to keep this one tho.
Ive legit lost 3 mini stream lights, one streamlight hl and the magnetic blue point light which is still probably stuck to the frame of that Chevy. Near 400 bucks of flashlights ive lost. Terrible...

Also you wouldve loved my old boss (the one who sued me and lost) who made me do this....

Edit:drunkpost sorry IOC

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 22, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We joke about VW's coolant migration but anyone ever see pics of the main harness repair?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

We joke about VW's coolant migration but anyone ever see pics of the main harness repair?

Please don't post gore inline thanks

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

NMS that poo poo, jesus

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
What's book time on that? Somewhere around 3.7 hours?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DefaultPeanut posted:

What's book time on that? Somewhere around 3.7 hours?

Well it is a warranty repair

:shepicide:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Well it is a warranty repair

:shepicide:

So you're paid 1.85?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You do warranty repairs?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

I do not work with smart people.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

warcake posted:

Seems like that situation will work itself out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

warcake posted:

what's up with the 3 oil filters?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Enourmo posted:

Pfft, look at this guy. He doesn't even know how to use the three oil filters.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When you've got a couple gallons of 15W45 oil and a motor the size of a Civic, a couple filters can be the best way to increase filter media area cheaply.

For a sense of scale, each of those oil filters is significantly larger than the ones on 1 ton diesel pickups. That swaybar is probably 1.5-2.5" diameter.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So we just killed a Bissell vacuum in my house because the HEPA filter was clogged, causing the motor to overspeed. I didn't notice the overspeed condition despite the fact the plug was hot and the engine was clearly racing.

Eventually it started making a horrible ragged sound, so I pulled it apart to find the belt was worn and looked like it had been sliding on its pulley. Assuming the ragged sound was some kind of motor internals failure, I swapped the belt for a fresh one, did it back up, and ran it. The horrible ragged sound continued, then suddenly stopped with a loud clunk. Now the carpet beater bar doesn't work.

Go back in there again, the beater bar is stuck at a weird angle, has melted its way through the plastic race that retains it to the vacuum, and then melted itself. Once all this was done, the now-seized cam was still trying to be driven by the belt by the overspeeding motor, and the belt was melted in two.

Bought a new vacuum since I don't think I can replace the plastic in the case. Sucks :(

Check ereplacementparts.com with the make/model number, you may be able to buy the parts.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Enourmo posted:

Because its a big fookin truck m8 with 12.8L of Swedish fury.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Hahah. Now I know how I'm going to decorate my garage bathroom.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

warcake posted:

Which only makes the picture even more :stonk:-worthy

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The Master Tech rides a pale horse :stare:

He had a full size v8 dodge van from the 90s come in for rough running, snapped a spark plug off, spent the last 4 days extracting the plug remains, to find the original issue was a hole in the piston.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

warcake posted:

yeah i didnt twig that it was a semi at first, makes sense now

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

He had a full size v8 dodge van from the 90s come in for rough running, snapped a spark plug off, spent the last 4 days extracting the plug remains, to find the original issue was a hole in the piston.

for those not in the field: if you see this happen to someone you run

that or laugh manically in solidarity

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

for those not in the field: if you see this happen to someone you run

And the service writer opened the seventh seal, and the angels said "come and see"

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Uthor posted:

This might be my favorite quote in recent AI memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

How were you able to dig around inside the cylinder looking for spark plug pieces for four days without noticing the hole?